Soft Bonnet Hair Dryers - Do they really work?

kitten73

I want to pick up one tonight for my daughter and I to start using because we both have ADD and can't sit still for too long (smile) and we never stay under the hooded dryer. If any of you ladies have experience with one (a name suggestion would be helpful) and can tell me if they do the job I would really appreciate it. My hair is very short right now so I am sure it will dry mine. My daughters hair I will only use it for deep conditioning and maybe an occasional roller set. She is natural and her hair is thick.

Everything Zen

I am in the market to buy one very soon myself. I am sick of hard bonnet drying and finding the right table/chair height so that I can sit comfortably.

myco

I have a soft bonnet attachment that I use with my blowdryer. I use it for deep conditioning. It's much more convenient than going under my hooded dryer. However, mine is not big enough for rollersets. It has a drawstring that only allows it to open so wide. But I do like it because the bonnet and the hose portion are made out of a nylon/polyester material instead of plastic. It doesn't really have a name brand and I think paid $7.00 for it at a local beauty supply store.

kitten73

I am in the market to buy one very soon myself. I am sick of hard bonnet drying and finding the right table/chair height so that I can sit comfortably.

I know right!!!! I have a hard bonnet that is in great condition but we can never sit under it and be comfortable. I hate it.

kitten73

I have a soft bonnet attachment that I use with my blowdryer. I use it for deep conditioning. It's much more convenient than going under my hooded dryer. However, mine is not big enough for rollersets. It has a drawstring that only allows it to open so wide. But I do like it because the bonnet and the hose portion are made out of a nylon/polyester material instead of plastic. It doesn't really have a name brand and I think paid $7.00 for it at a local beauty supply store.

Oh, I didn't know they even made those. I do have a decent hand dryer, I could get that but I actually want the whole thing.

tapioca_pudding

I actually want to get one of these next week. I hate sitting under the hooded dryer. The only way I can stay under there longer than 30 mins is if I move my big chair next to my dining room table (that the dryer sits on) and stack 4 big pillows in the chair so Im tall enuf to reach the actual hood of the dryer, then angle my TV so I can watch a movie..... :rolleyes: Its a hassle!!

I was gonna go to Sallys and see what they have.

northernbelle

When I was rollersetting my hair, I owned a tabletop, and a soft bonnet. I liked the soft bonnet for its ease of portability. The only disadvantage is that the plastic hat was very large, and, unless I had enough rollers to fill up the hat, then it did not stay on very well.

kitten73

I actually want to get one of these next week. I hate sitting under the hooded dryer. The only way I can stay under there longer than 30 mins is if I move my big chair next to my dining room table (that the dryer sits on) and stack 4 big pillows in the chair so Im tall enuf to reach the actual hood of the dryer, then angle my TV so I can watch a movie..... :rolleyes: Its a hassle!!

I was gonna go to Sallys and see what they have.

I am cracking up, I just got a visual. (LOL) I have a sally's in the bronx maybe I should go there.

Crysdon

I have this one and I surf the net for two hours while i'm under it. It's comfortable and dries my hair evenly.

MsAngie

I have one that's from Sally's by Carel. I think it was around $40. I just did a rollerset Sunday, and the curls came out wonderfully. I think I was under it for about 1 1/2 hrs., but I was reading, so the time went by fast. :bookworm2:

Last edited:

prospurr4

I have both a hard bonnet dryer (that I never use) and a Carel soft bonnet dryer from Sally's, that I use weekly. I prefer to airdry my rollersets overnight, but to ensure that my hair is completely dry by morning, I use the Carel for about 1 hour on LOW, then I go to bed.

I bought the Carel soft bonnet dryer in 1997 or 1998, and it's still going strong. I've had to replace the elastic in the bonnet, but that's it.

charmtreese

I love soft bonnet dryers. My first one was a gold n' hot soft bonnet dryer and I had it about 10 years or so before it cunked out. Then I got the carel soft bonnet dryer and the bonnet kept ripping:wallbash:. I now have a conairpro soft bonnet dryer attachment that I love :yep:. It cost about $22 dollars at sally's. The bonnet is big enough for me to do a rollerset with purple magnetic rollers and only takes about 1 1/2 hours to dry. I attach it to my ion ionic blow dryer.

I've had mine for about 15 years. It takes longer to dry your hair, but it's great when you want to move around, clean, do bills or take a nap.

4mia

i have the spaceship looking one but mine is from goldnhot or hottools. i have to use it on medium heat because high is too hot, but it works

Leslie_C

I just wanted to add a tip for those who cant get their tabletop dryers the right height....an ironing board works perfectly because you can adjust the height of the ironing board to the chair you are sitting in. I used to put one behid my computer chair and sit under it while I was online.

Im in the market for a bonnet dryer now though bc it seems easier....my fiance threw away my hooded dryer by accident when we moved bc he didnt know what it was (he is famous for that!). I think Ill get a bonnet for now, but eventually I would love to invest in a salon type dryer on a stand.