Some people TEXLAX without knowing it!

lana

I met a girl a few weeks back and she has really thick 4a/b type hair (like me) and I noticed that it looke freshly straightened so I asked her what she does to her hair and she said, "I roll it at night". I said Oh I mean do you relax or press or...? And she said, "Oh I have a relaxer".
I was looking at her like "no you don't." because her hair looks just as thick as mine and I'm texlaxed (although I know there are relaxed ladies with thick hair) so I said, "Oh I mean how long do you leave the relaxer in".
She said, "Oh my stylist only leaves it in for a few minutes, like 5 minutes or so". I was surprised that she was Texlaxed and didn't even know it! She then told me that she only gets it done four times a year!

I left the subject alone cause I could tell that it bored her to tears. Although hair is soooo exciting to me. She really had no interest, just making small talk.

But have you guys met people that do LHCF practices and no nothing about hair care or this board?

For instance:
No direct heat
texlaxes 4 times a year
texlax stretching

Anyone else find this? I was surprised. Yes her hair was healthy and pretty and BSL.

Evazhair

Plenty. And some of these people did these practices before LHCF existed. There is really nothing new under the sun. Some things are just forgotten about and rediscovered later.

Eisani

I met a girl a few weeks back and she has really thick 4a/b type hair (like me) and I noticed that it looke freshly straightened so I asked her what she does to her hair and she said, "I roll it at night". I said Oh I mean do you relax or press or...? And she said, "Oh I have a relaxer".
I was looking at her like "no you don't." because her hair looks just as thick as mine and I'm texlaxed (although I know there are relaxed ladies with thick hair) so I said, "Oh I mean how long do you leave the relaxer in".
She said, "Oh my stylist only leaves it in for a few minutes, like 5 minutes or so". I was surprised that she was Texlaxed and didn't even know it! She then told me that she only gets it done four times a year!

I left the subject alone cause I could tell that it bored her to tears. Although hair is soooo exciting to me. She really had no interest, just making small talk.

But have you guys met people that do LHCF practices and no nothing about hair care or this board?

For instance:
No direct heat
texlaxes 4 times a year
texlax stretching

Anyone else find this? I was surprised. Yes her hair was healthy and pretty and BSL.

It's really nothing to be surprised about. I texlaxed long before I knew anything about this board and didn't know there was a "technical" name for my technique. Same thing w/cowashing, DCs, stretching, etc. I just did what worked for me. Some people know enough about hair care when it comes to taking care of their own, no formal training or hair borad membershp needed!

didirose

I stand of accused! I didn't have a name for it till coming to this board. I was a teenager and my mom didn't want me to relax but I wanted to so she told my aunt not leave in the relaxer to long. Voila! My compromise with my mother became my slightly relaxed (i.e. "texlaxed") hair.:spinning:

lana

Yeah I'm not amazed that people can figure things out "what works for them" blah blah. But I just thought it was interesting how she is doing all the right stuff without ever reading about hair or whatever. Again, most of the credit goes to her stylist who knows what she's doing! I thought that was great too since I do everything for hair.

But I did try to figure out what worked for my hair before finding hair boards and the knowledge I've gained on here is beyond value. :)

tatiana

I used to do the following long before LHCF ( I am talking ten to eighteen years ago):

relax/texlax 4 x a years (my stylist told me to get a relaxer 4 x years)
rollerset (my stylist told me do this too)
DC (I saw my sister doing this to her hair so I had to do it to mine)
henna (my mom puts some in my hair)
round brush (my stylist used me as guinea pig to improve his skills)
protective styling (out of laziness I would put my hair in french twists and buns)
caruso rollers
no grease (I read it in a Essense mag but it used to make my hair dirty)
wash n gos/ frequent washing ( i used to go swimming everyday)
"white" hair care products (sometimes that was all I could find)

I used to have a bob fetish; I would grow my hair out and then cut it in a bob and I repeat the cycle again. Of course when I go natural bobs are popular:perplexed

Soliel185

I was texlaxed b/c I never smoothed my relaxers. I didn't like to manipulate my hair with the cream in it. If I'd known about relaxer run-off I'd be happily texlaxed still.

After my first bout of relaxed hair I always rolled my ends at night for a bump. It was not a cute bedtime look but I didn't have to worry about that @ 13 and 14 yrs of age.

I sealed mosture w/o knowing it. Always used heat protection. And washed frequently even though my Mom told me my hair would fall out. :rolleyes:

BirdieGray

Funny because I was thinking about this the other day how over 10 years ago my aunt, who has the most beautiful hair out of anyone in my family would "texlax" and my other aunt thought she was crazy. She was in my grandmother's kitchen with a box of just for me and was about to put it on her long, BSL 3a/b ponytail when my other aunt walked in and told her she had lost her mind...:grin: The other day I giggled at the thought that she was "texlaxing" all those years ago - it came to me as an epiphany :drunk:

hothair

Plenty. And some of these people did these practices before LHCF existed. There is really nothing new under the sun. Some things are just forgotten about and rediscovered later.

:yep: I've got quite a few and they have very healthy thick hair and in a number of cases are waistlength...

MizAvalon

I stand of accused! I didn't have a name for it till coming to this board. I was a teenager and my mom didn't want me to relax but I wanted to so she told my aunt not leave in the relaxer to long. Voila! My compromise with my mother became my slightly relaxed (i.e. "texlaxed") hair.:spinning:

I love the pic in your siggy!:yep:

RegaLady

My mother who has WL hair, does just about all the right stuff. Me and my sister used to criticize her, but after being on this board, I was amazed how right she was. Of course, had I followed suit, I wouldn't have to be ball headed.:lachen::rolleyes:But she:
Wears a wig for 'protective styling'
Washes every other day
No relaxer
Used sulfur 8 occasionally
And leaves her hair alone.
She has had WL hair for about 12 years
When the relaxer didn't work out about 17 years back, she just cut out the perm, and wore in natural, just like that!
Yeah, some people have always done it, and never stressed about it on top of all that!:rolleyes: