Something Crazy Is In Wetline Gel And It's Not Good...

Sally.

I've been doing wash and gos every week for the past two months or so now. I used to use Ecostyler Gel, but I didn't like the ingredients and felt it was making my head tender in some places.

So I bought the EarthTones Naturals Curl Quench Hair Butter and Gel, which is supposed to be made with only natural ingredients (even though I've find out that its not). But since I'm trying to use up the rest of my gels before I try it, this morning I used Wetline Xtreme Gel (clear) for finger coiling for the first time throughout my entire hair. I don't notice any weird smell at all, but after I was done raking the product throughout my hair and was sitting under the dryer, my nose started running mucus so bad. I kept blowing it, thinking "Oh, I've cleared up whatever caused it," but 2 minutes later, it's running again. It literally won't stop.

I was in a rush, so I only sat under the dryer for 30 minutes. So my hair is still 50% wet, and of course my nose is still running. I'm not sick and I feel normal, meaning I don't feel like I have a cold or anything coming on. I came back home to finish sitting under the dryer so my hair can dry completely and I will see if my nose stops running when its dry.

Either way, I'm sure I'm throwing my wetline gel in the trash. I bought this jar from the local Mexican bodega but it seems to perform like all the other jars. The only difference is that to do my wash and gos, I use way more than I would have if say, I was just slicking my hair into a bun.

Has anyone else noticed this experience with their nose running horribly with Wetline Gel or any gel?

Sally.

Sounds like Allergic Rhinitis. You had an allergic reaction to the product. It happens.
You say it like it’s not a big deal. No product should be causing this kind of reaction.

Also, the descriptions of allergic rhinitis don’t sound like what I experienced. I had no sneezing, itchy eyes, or watery eyes. My nose was just building up mucus and draining heavily.

Mucus is usually a sign of inflammation or infection so I really think that product has highly toxic ingredients both when inhaled and applied to the scalp and hair.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
So I bought the EarthTones Naturals Curl Quench Hair Butter and Gel, which is supposed to be made with only natural ingredients (even though I've find out that its not).
Just as an FYI, no water based product (like a gel) is ever going to be 100% natural. Otherwise you'd be putting tons of bacteria and mold in your hair.

Was that the only reaction you noticed? There was no itching, no burning, anything? How do you know for sure that it was the gel?

Sally.

Just as an FYI, no water based product (like a gel) is ever going to be 100% natural. Otherwise you'd be putting tons of bacteria and mold in your hair.

Was that the only reaction you noticed? There was no itching, no burning, anything? How do you know for sure that it was the gel?
(to your first point) true.

Yes it was my only reaction. I know it was the gel because it has happened before and I didn’t realize why it started all of a sudden but I used a cocktail of products. This time around, I only used the gel. After the gel completely dried, I didn’t experience any noticeable reactions. I won’t be using that product again.

faithVA

You say it like it’s not a big deal. No product should be causing this kind of reaction.

Also, the descriptions of allergic rhinitis don’t sound like what I experienced. I had no sneezing, itchy eyes, or watery eyes. My nose was just building up mucus and draining heavily.

Mucus is usually a sign of inflammation or infection so I really think that product has highly toxic ingredients both when inhaled and applied to the scalp and hair.
Any product can cause a reaction whether natural or not. It does happen. Fortunately you recognized the problem early and can find something better.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
(to your first point) true.

Yes it was my only reaction. I know it was the gel because it has happened before and I didn’t realize why it started all of a sudden but I used a cocktail of products. This time around, I only used the gel. After the gel completely dried, I didn’t experience any noticeable reactions. I won’t be using that product again.
Was this the new formula? Had you ever used the old formula before without a reaction? If so, you might be able to compare ingredients and see what is causing the reaction.

Theresamonet

Any product can cause an allergic reaction. There is nothing 100% safe for everyone. It doesn’t mean something is wrong with the product. It means you can’t and shouldn’t use it.

Symptoms of allergic rhinitis include mucus drainage from the nose as it is an inflammation of the mucous membrane in the nose... Just because sneezing, watery eyes, etc. could also be experienced, doesn’t mean that everyone will have every single symptom associated with the condition.

Also, infections take more than just discontinuing use of the product to clear up.

My :twocents:. Good Luck.

Aggie

I have both and have used both. I didn't get any reactions from it. The new formula simply doesn't define my hair like the old formula nor is it as shiny as before. Now I have to put some oil on top of it for the shine.

I won't throw it away because I can still make it work. But if you are having an allergic reaction, by all mean, lose that thing...FAST!