Something Drastic?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
After feeling bored with my hair for the last week or so, I thought of doing something drastic.

I thought of hi-lites--a pretty sandy blonde. (think Vanessa Williams' hair color; not Beyonce) I've always wanted hi-lites but I never indulged in the name of keeping my hair as healthy as relaxed hair can be. I also am not one that makes frequent trips to the salon and it seems that the only women that keep their hair undamaged (I know that's not a word) after color or hi-lites are those that make frequent trips to the salon. I don't know why it seems that way. I've thought to myself, maybe I can get 4 or 5 really skinny hi-lites and that way it won't matter if those small pieces become damaged.

I thought about a layered cut. But I've had layers before, years ago, and it just seems that you lose too much length with a layered cut. But today, a co-worker with tail bone length hair (used to be) came in today with a GORGEOUS layered cut and she's still got some good length on it too.

My retouch is soon and so I probably *won't* really do anything drastic because my hair always looks so nice after a re-touch--unlike it does in my daily protective styles. So the retouch will make me happy and not bored with my hair until it's retouch time again I guess. And...it's not like if I got layers or hi-lites that I'd get to show them off because I know my hair will be back in it's usual bun in no time.

In the mean time, talk to me about layers, hi-lites, or moments when you've felt like doing something drastic to your hair. Thanks :)

Last edited:

ThursdayGirl

How about getting the highlights weaved in...instead... then you can remove them when you want? my highlights are very dry ... and the only time they look really nice is when I wear my hair bone straight (not very often anymore).

What if you went with some twists or a different colored rinse?

The last time i wanted something different... I went with an auburn rinse...and loved it!

devin

hi,

i am only shoulder length and have had both highlights and layers that i am currently trying to grow out. i am one that also gets bored very easily with styles. i think highlighting and layering looks great, especially if it can be maintained. It will help to add a little drama to the monotony.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
ThursdayGirl said:
How about getting the highlights weaved in...instead... then you can remove them when you want? my highlights are very dry ... and the only time they look really nice is when I wear my hair bone straight (not very often anymore).

What if you went with some twists or a different colored rinse?

The last time i wanted something different... I went with an auburn rinse...and loved it!

My hair is pretty dark (regular black chick color, ya know). Would an auburn rinse show up in my hair? That sounds purty. :)

blackbarbie

Supergirl,
I have highlights and my regular hair color is light brown. I have a mixture of Vanessa Williams AND Beyonce colored highlights. (more of the Beyonce on the bottom). I am growing layers out right now from over a year ago, and I was afraid to get them at first because I had one stylist to cut them one time and they were literally visible "layers". There are not supposed to be that visible; your layers are supposed to "blend". My last stylist did a great job on my layers.

When I got my highlights last year, it was the first time i had ever had any color at all in my hair and i was afraid of the outcome. Nothing different that what you always do except just to keep it "extra" moisturized. I agree with someone else that said if you don't want to do the deed all the way, just get a few sew-in color tracks just to see if you like it. But as far as the layers, it will definitely depend on the stylist that does it....

Good Luck!

ArrrBeee

Supergirl,

Go to Sally's and get some of the blonde temporary hairspray. Get a highlight cap and pull some of your hair through and spray it. That will give you an idea of what the highlights will look like.

I did this last week and it was a nice change for a few days.

MizAvalon

Oh my goodness! When I saw the title of this thread and that you were the poster, my first thought was "Oh no, SG is gonna cut her hair!":eek:

Glad to hear that's not the case.:lol:

renee_n_3000

I understand that bored feeling. Sometimes when I wear my hair down with no curl or wave, etc., I feel it looks 'generic.' I would love to get some highlights but am too afraid of damage.

I also love layered cuts on other ladies but when I used to get them I had so much trouble getting the stylists to cut it correctly. I always wanted 'long layers' that blended nicely like BlackBarbie described, but they would always make them so severe, choppy and noticeable. Maybe it was just the stylists I went to combined with the time period, though -- late 80s or early 90s. Maybe most stylists are better at doing those kinds of cuts today.

Whatever you choose to do, Supergirl, I hope you have excellent results! :yep:

LiLi

I just learned a layered cut in school tonight. We did long layers which means that the longest length is not cut. Basically, the guide goes by the shortest length in the front and then from there you bring the hair to the top of the crown and cut it; which gives the hair long layers. It looks very nice. I would like that once I am happy with my length. It also gives your hair fullness.

I wanted to also add that I agree with ThursdayGirl regarding weaving highlighted hair in to your own hair. I had that done about 5 years ago and it looked okay; but I had blonde highlights. Here is a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/true_junglist/Highlights-2000.jpg

Whatever choice you make, I'm sure it will be beautiful!! Please update your pics.

Oh ... and I know it's OT but I finally found a supplier in my area of Deep Brilliance Products. I am sooooo excited. I'm going Friday to check it out since I now have my student id card.

This morning, I just used The DB Moisture Shampoo with no conditioner and just sprayed the Manage leave-in spray and used the serum and my hair feels better than it does when I use a conditioner (not better than when using DB conditioner - of course). I had to skip the conditioner because I don't have any more of the DB Reconstructing Conditioner. I could not believe that I was able to comb through 22 months of new growth with no problem. Anyhow, thank you again for mentioning the DB products in the first place!!

Last edited:

renee_n_3000

Not Rapunzel said:
Go to Sally's and get some of the blonde temporary hairspray. Get a highlight cap and pull some of your hair through and spray it. That will give you an idea of what the highlights will look like.

I did this last week and it was a nice change for a few days.

Hi, Not Rapunzel. Do you remember the brand name of the spray you used? Did the spray make your hair feel dry or rough? Did it look soft and shiny? Was it difficult to wash out? (sorry for the interrogation :) ) This sounds like something fun I'd like to try.

yokourt

I got the big bug eyes when I read the title too. :eek:
I'm glad it wasn't true.

MizAvalon said:
Oh my goodness! When I saw the title of this thread and that you were the poster, my first thought was "Oh no, SG is gonna cut her hair!":eek:

Glad to hear that's not the case.:lol:

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
Supergirl said:
After feeling bored with my hair for the last week or so, I thought of doing something drastic.

I thought of hi-lites--a pretty sandy blonde. (think Vanessa Williams' hair color; not Beyonce) I've always wanted hi-lites but I never indulged in the name of keeping my hair as healthy as relaxed hair can be. I also am not one that makes frequent trips to the salon and it seems that the only women that keep their hair undamaged (I know that's not a word) after color or hi-lites are those that make frequent trips to the salon. I don't know why it seems that way. I've thought to myself, maybe I can get 4 or 5 really skinny hi-lites and that way it won't matter if those small pieces become damaged.

I thought about a layered cut. But I've had layers before, years ago, and it just seems that you lose too much length with a layered cut. But today, a co-worker with tail bone length hair (used to be) came in today with a GORGEOUS layered cut and she's still got some good length on it too.

My retouch is soon and so I probably *won't* really do anything drastic because my hair always looks so nice after a re-touch--unlike it does in my daily protective styles. So the retouch will make me happy and not bored with my hair until it's retouch time again I guess. And...it's not like if I got layers or hi-lites that I'd get to show them off because I know my hair will be back in it's usual bun in no time.

In the mean time, talk to me about layers, hi-lites, or moments when you've felt like doing something drastic to your hair. Thanks :)[/QUOTE

You must have been reading my mind. I have gotten very bored with my hair because it won't hold a style. I have decided to get long layers in the front. I will wait until my birthday in March to get it done. I just need a change!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
LiLi said:
I just learned a layered cut in school tonight. We did long layers which means that the longest length is not cut. Basically, the guide goes by the shortest length in the front and then from there you bring the hair to the top of the crown and cut it; which gives the hair long layers. It looks very nice. I would like that once I am happy with my length. It also gives your hair fullness.

I wanted to also add that I agree with ThursdayGirl regarding weaving highlighted hair in to your own hair. I had that done about 5 years ago and it looked okay; but I had blonde highlights. Here is a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/true_junglist/Highlights-2000.jpg

Whatever choice you make, I'm sure it will be beautiful!! Please update your pics.

Oh ... and I know it's OT but I finally found a supplier in my area of Deep Brilliance Products. I am sooooo excited. I'm going Friday to check it out since I now have my student id card.

This morning, I just used The DB Moisture Shampoo with no conditioner and just sprayed the Manage leave-in spray and used the serum and my hair feels better than it does when I use a conditioner (not better than when using DB conditioner - of course). I had to skip the conditioner because I don't have any more of the DB Reconstructing Conditioner. I could not believe that I was able to comb through 22 months of new growth with no problem. Anyhow, thank you again for mentioning the DB products in the first place!!

You're so welcomed--they are truly great products. Thanks for sharing your picture too. Your hi-lites were major!

meia

im actually thinking of doing something drastic now! i want to get a curly perm over my previously relaxed hair (it hasnt been relaxed or chemically treated for almost a year now) and I want to regain the the curly texture i used to have. i want to go with slightly bigger than kelis curls that way i can have the height and the volume and dye my hair jet black again! that for some reason would make me truly happy even though it would make my *almost almost* waist length hair be only to the middle of my back if even that long- i figure i can fix that by flat ironing the bottom of my hair with my chi so it appears to be longer...

what do yall think!?!?!:)

lala

Supergirl said:

In the mean time, talk to me about layers, hi-lites, or moments when you've felt like doing something drastic to your hair. Thanks :)

I am bored with my hair color and wanted highlights and/or an overall lighter color, but my hairdresser refused to do it b/c she said it would dry my hair out and it would get shorter and shorter...:(

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
lala said:
I am bored with my hair color and wanted highlights and/or an overall lighter color, but my hairdresser refused to do it b/c she said it would dry my hair out and it would get shorter and shorter...:(

That was considerate of her.

tthreat08

Well, I have highlights....not relaxed though, and my hair is very healthy. I also have some layers that I prefer and as I continue to grow my hair will probably always maintain them. The layers (subtle ones) give hair "air"...it moves really nicely. I don't make regular trips to the salon either. Luckily, I am pretty skilled at maintaining my own hair. I do go for the highlights though....I aint THAT skilled :)

I'm sure it would look very pretty on you....

Nikki02

What if you tried just getting layers that frame your face? That way you have some change without much sacrafice.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Nikki02 said:
What if you tried just getting layers that frame your face? That way you have some change without much sacrafice.

Tell me more. How do you do that? Do you have any example pictures (maybe of celebs) with the layers framing the face look?

Babygurl

Nikki02 said:
I'll find you some pictures.

Im posting this for Nikki (my best friend by the way)

Candy_C

i would love to have the guts to cut my hair in an asymetrical bob, and dye it burgundy red...it would look so good on me...but nooo, i am so curious to see how i wouldlook with long hair. maybe in a few years time i will do it. now that i am gainin the LHCF qualification in Black Hair Care it's all good, i will resume it in the future.

Healthb4Length

Candy_C said:
i would love to have the guts to cut my hair in an asymetrical bob, and dye it burgundy red...it would look so good on me...but nooo, i am so curious to see how i wouldlook with long hair. maybe in a few years time i will do it. now that i am gainin the LHCF qualification in Black Hair Care it's all good, i will resume it in the future.

How about getting a weave and style the way you want. You get a cute style you like without sacrificing your length.