Somethings not working...Newbie crisis!

Leona28

Day One:
My hair is type 4b at the roots and relaxed all the way down to the ends.
My hair was last relaxed in July (around the 20th)- making me 11 weeks post relaxer. I dyed my hair with Texture and Tone Hair Colorant for Women of Color (never before and NEVER AGAIN - my hair is soo dry!)
I decided to trial on air drying and DC yesterday by first using some Shima Hair oil and olive oil prior to washing with Shima Shampoo. (Apparently the instructions she gives are the only method for using her products. This is evident by the lack of results post DC). I then Shampoo'd followed by adding her leave in conditioner and hair creme. I air dried as per Sunshyne which helped with flattening the front of my head and definitely not the kitchen going on behind. I put my hair in braids to sleep with a silk scarf but in the morning my hair still felt as dry/stiff.

Today:
I decided to wash using my husband's Natural shampoo for dry hair, add an ACV rinse and then DC for 30mins with concoctions from the kitchen..
DC included EVCO, EVOO, Raw Honey, Liquid (flavored vitamins), a Multivit crushed, Vitamin C crystals. Smelt awful but I thought of the goodness being put ON my hair should do something! Hmmm...
Had to use Shima Shampoo (Which is pretty much a conditioner)again today as 1. The smell was awful and 2. My hair still felt pretty hard.

Noticed some wet flakes from my scalp removed - which I attribute to the ACV and mind you once my hair air dried, no flakes were visible.
Sprayed on some LC and hair creme but instead of Shima Oil used Rose Hip oil over the surface of my hair.

This evening something is noticeable. My hair still feels quite dry and bubbly (tight curls) at the roots but my hair on the front part is still soft/moist. My hair at the back is dry and there are portions (centered in the middle) which are shorter and have been this way for some months.

I've already resolved to stop using Shima Hair Products as they don't seem to work for me well. Secondly, I am using a head scarf at night. I know that the water in my area is hard therefore would it be advisable to use boiled/filtered/bottle water?

I've also come to realize that absolutely 100% natural products are on the low in the production market for moisturizing porous controlled targeting shampoos/conditioners/DCs therefore, I resolve to find ones I like in the general arena. What would you suggest for my dilemma?

Lastly, I can't french braid, nor can I plait, Senegalese braid, nor like adding weaves or hair braids. What options do I have for protective stylings?

THANK YOU :look:

WaistLengthDreams

A nice and simple protective styling option is wearing buns.

The next time you wet your hair avoid shampoos it seems you've done a lot of that in the past few days. Try conditioner washing with a moisturizing conditioner that contains Ceramides, which will help you retain moisture since you've recently colored your hair.

Or if you don't like the idea of washing without shampoo, do a hot oil treatment with an oil containing Ceramides then wash and condition. Add a leave-in treatment and style as you usually do until you can overcome the dryness that you are experiencing.

Good luck.

DominicanBrazilian82

Well hello... Again :)

First I would say that moisturizing your hair is essential. Find your best moisturizer and section your hair like you were applying relaxer and lightly coat each section. Secondly I would suggest that you lightly oil your scalp and seal your ends with the same oil. My hair was like a Brillo pad early this summer and DC's, co-washing and moisturizing has gotten my hair back!

In regards to your kitchen concoctions... Trust me when I say that I am 100% for those who make conditioning agents to apply to their hair; however, the ingredients used makes the difference. How it feels when it goes on (silky, creamy, heavy, light, smooth, etc) tells me what type of penetration it will do. Oils for me work best on my scalp and ends, not my hair. As a DC, thick and creamy penetrates for me!

Try this: when your hair is completely dry, add your favorite DC conditioner mixed with a few oils and sit under your heating cap/dryer with a plastic cap. Be sure to coat your entire head. Not heavily, but enough to know you touched every strand. If your conditioner has protein in it that's even better as you know your hair is made up of protein and will absorb the proteins in the damaged areas easier. I would suggest at least 30 minutes under heat. This might work :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

WaistLengthDreams said:
A nice and simple protective styling option is wearing buns.

The next time you wet your hair avoid shampoos it seems you've done a lot of that in the past few days. Try conditioner washing with a moisturizing conditioner that contains Ceramides, which will help you retain moisture since you've recently colored your hair.

Or if you don't like the idea of washing without shampoo, do a hot oil treatment with an oil containing Ceramides then wash and condition. Add a leave-in treatment and style as you usually do until you can overcome the dryness that you are experiencing.

Good luck.

I totally agree! Ceramides are just what the doctor ordered. Check this thread for products containing Ceramides:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=14957775&postcount=2

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
definitely try some buns. a simple protective style go to.

deep condition once a week with a moisturizing conditioner using a plastic cap and heat if you can for at least 30-60 minutes. but keep it simple. adding a tablespoon of warmed oil or warmed honey should be enough to kick your conditioner into overdrive...any more than that may be too much right now. get a thick conditioner from the drug store or target that does not contain silicones, parabens, petroleum or mineral oil....read the labels. make sure the product says it does not contain these ingredients. Shea Moisture has a decent line of products that are free of these drying chemicals.

never ever ever ever ever ever ever use coloring products for women of color. i swear the only two times i ever had damage from hair color was when i used products for "us"...dark and lovely ripped my hair out worse than just plain old hair bleach......i mean that's just ridiculous to me that those products are that awful, but they are. i now only use semi permanent hair color or rinses when i color.

Curlykale

maybe it could be the vitamin C as well, it can be stripping if used pure in a too high dosage. I saw once in a hair forum that people were using it it to help remove color from their hair. I have seen it in the last ingredients of some products, which means it was used in a very small quantity.

Many people love honey, although for some reason it makes my hair crunchy and dry, this may be another factor but everyone's hair is different.

I hope it helps!

lamaria211

My advice is to add a lot of ceramide products to your routine both relaxers and hair dye deplete the hair of its natural lipids and ceramides causing less elasticity

Leona28

Thanks girls. In a more recent thread, I added pictures of my hair. Seriously considering going to hair salon tomorrow and thinking of a cut (short) as many African hair salons are not properly licensed here. If I lived across the pond, I would have miracle hair but hey! I will in Jesus name!