Sometimes you have to encourage yourself!

deesquest

Over the years there have been times when I've been downcast because of circumstances in life. I would pray, read the Bible, listen closely to sermons at church or put on a sermon tape to help with whatever I'm going through..But also I've found songs have helped me to encourage myself. I actively "put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness". I love to sing and songs have really helped to lift me up. A couple of my favorites are the old hymns: "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and "It is Well With My Soul". If you're not familiar with those songs, google the words, they are very uplifting. I sing all through my house, car, yard, wherever. I really meditate on the words I sing and sometimes I'm crying or rejoicing at the end. I like many different styles of Christian songs. Do you have a song or songs that have helped you when you're in a low place or you just love because it uplifts your spirit? Please share why it's special if you can.

I've been a member of this board since 2007, but mainly a lurker! For whatever reason I decided to start posting. My hair is doing great and there is not much more I can learn about it. Who knows I might go back into lurker mode.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
First, :welcome: to the forum!

"Bow Down and Worship Him" is that one song. It's a special song for me because it not only lifts my spirit INSTANTLY, but it reminds me of my righteousness in spite of "me" and that I belong to God. I guess, sort of a 'gentle reminder' of who I am and whose I am. That's the deep song.. :laugh:

I tend to break out in songs all the time, depending on how God moves in my daily routines. "Thank you, Lord" is another good song that moves me. I've just finished 7 days of praise (to end a fast), meditating on the forms of praise and practicing each one. Even though I do them anyway when I'm worshiping, incorporating praise in my daily life helps keep me bouyant. There are days I'm down and sad and angry and bitter and just plain bored or acting up. When I settle down to read the Word or pray or even sing a simple song, I'm renewed again. It takes practice and sheer will to meet God halfway when emotions try to take over.

Over the years there have been times when I've been downcast because of circumstances in life. I would pray, read the Bible, listen closely to sermons at church or put on a sermon tape to help with whatever I'm going through..But also I've found songs have helped me to encourage myself. I actively "put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness". I love to sing and songs have really helped to lift me up. A couple of my favorites are the old hymns: "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and "It is Well With My Soul". If you're not familiar with those songs, google the words, they are very uplifting. I sing all through my house, car, yard, wherever. I really meditate on the words I sing and sometimes I'm crying or rejoicing at the end. I like many different styles of Christian songs. Do you have a song or songs that have helped you when you're in a low place or you just love because it uplifts your spirit? Please share why it's special if you can.

I've been a member of this board since 2007, but mainly a lurker! For whatever reason I decided to start posting. My hair is doing great and there is not much more I can learn about it. Who knows I might go back into lurker mode.

Prudent1

Hi Deesquest!
Just to name a few...
"I told the Storm"
"It is Well"
"Encourage Yourself"
"How Great is our God"
"Be Grateful"
Mainly b/c of each of these songs have such great lyrical content. The words are soothing to me and help me reflect on some of the things God has done for me in times past as well as give me a real hope for the future. :)

joy2day

My absolute favorite "encourage myself" song is "Great is Thy Faithfulness." Whenever I need to remember how good God has been to me, I think/sing "Great is thy faithfulness, great is thy faithfulness... morning by morning new mercies I see... all I have needed thy hand has provided... great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto to me!"

ItsyBitsy

God is awesome!!! Yesterday @ church the choir sang "Encourage Yourself"! My spirit was instantly lifted!
I loved the song so much that I bought it from Itunes & put it on a CD. This morning I played it all the way to work.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
"My Soul Is Achored In The Lord" Douglas Miller
"Stand" Donnie McClurkin
"Let Go Let God" Dewayne Woods
Marvin Sapp's songs: "Nothing Else Matters", "Never Would Have Made It", "Thirsty", and more
Yolanda Adams: "Yet Still I Rise", "Open My Heart", and more
AND MORE!!! :)

Last edited:

ItsyBitsy

I'm in my office listening to "That's What I Believe" Donnie McClurkin.

Thanks ladies for listing your faves! Tonight I'm going to add them to my ipod!

blackbarbie

It Aint Over (Until God Says It's Over)
-Maurette Brown Clark

I Trust You
-James Fortune and Fiyah

Already Here
-Brian Courtney Wilson

divya

"My All in All"
"Be Still My Soul"
"What A Friend We Have In Jesus"

Great thread! It has been a blessing to me today!

loolalooh

Thanks for starting this thread. I could use more songs like this. ::Taking notes::

Here's what I listen to:

"Moving Forward" - I like the Israel Houghton version

And a LOT of J Moss:
"I Wanna Be" - when I want something loud
"Psalm 150" - another loud one
"Don't Pray & Worry" - when I feel doubtful
"The More I Think" - when I forget His works
to name a few

Israel & New Breed:
"I Will Search For You"
"Deeper"

ETA:
How could forget one of my faves
"I Understand" - Smokie Norful

Last edited:

LovelyRo

For me it's:

"For Every Mountain"
"More than Anything"
"Total Praise"

My church choir sang "More than Anything" and "Total Praise" within the last 3 weeks :)