Sore/Tender Scalp

candiel

The past two weeks or so the scalp in the crown of my head has been SO sore. I don't even want to comb my hair:nono:

Has anyone else experienced this? or know the cause?

Odd One

I also experience this in the crown area. This is also where my hair is the coarsest, most dry, resistant with the prettiest coils :giggle:

Some ladies say that its a sign your hair is growing...I like that explanation :grin: (even if its unlikely to actually feel hair growth)

melissa-bee

I used to get this after washing my hair back when i was natural. I think it was because i combed my hair roughly.

Leesh

I get that too, for some reason it is the area that is most resistant to everything, while it is also the fastest growing section.

candiel

I was thinking that my hair was growing a lot more than usual because I have experienced this once or twice before when would stretch for 3 months or more. If I was combing my hair a lot then I could understand but, I've been wearing buns for the past week so that' why I can't understand.

It just seems like this is the worst it's ever felt.

Diva_Esq

I've had that happen before. I've been told it is because most ladies' more textured hair grows in the crown. I was always told it was a growth issue and a good thing, but it hurts! I'm already tenderheaded! :( I'd say, if you can stand it, massage the area once a day with a light oil on your fingertips and try not to brush/ comb too hair. Maybe take a break from buns for a few days or anything that pulls the hair. Let it swang for a minute or two! And increase your water intake. HTH! Good luck!!

Stepiphanie

I used to have horrible soreness in my crown,right before or right after a relaxer. I do believe that the growth and texture may play a role.But I also think relaxers contributed. I haven't had a relaxer in abt 7 mths, and the soreness is almost none existent! That part of my my scalp is still dryer, and requires more tlc, but nowhere near the soreness I felt before.

Casarela

Hi,
I get that sometimes at my edges and I dont manipulate or brush my hair down. The scalp is like sore dry I dont know how to explain byt anyhow.
Whenever I feel that my scalp is tightttt.... I oil it generously on the specific area and after a moment im relieved.

You can you use Amla, rosemary oil, coconut oil, olive or castor oil...pretty much any oil that you like.

HTH!
Casarela

snillohsss

my theory is it is relaxer related. I think most people who feel this soreness (not to be confused with being tenderheaded) when they are relaxed.

You tend to feel it more when you need a relaxer (i.e. when the new growth appears). Many woman think the soreness means the hair is growing, but what it actually is... in my opinion is the scalps withdrawal to the chemicals from the relaxer..

That is why the soreness tends to go away when you get a relaxer touch-up. Of course not all relaxed ladies experience this, but I believe more relaxed/texlaxed heads experience it than natural heads. I think natural heads never experience it, but instead confuse it with being tenderheaded (e.g. when the hair is combed, detangled or manipulated the scalp is sore or tender). The soreness when new growth appears is different than being tenderheaded which is why I really believe it is relaxer related.

MissLawyerLady

When I co-wash regularly (in the summer) I don't have this, but as soon as I stop co-washing (fall/winter) I notice the dry, itchy crown. This past few months has been really bad- I think I'm having a growth spurt. I just keep applying oils to that area and lightly massage. I can't manipulate too much or else that area will break really bad. HTH

Shoediva

I get this when I go a LONG period of time with out a relaxer...I always think of it as extra hair growth. I get it on the sides of my hair or in the front, the only thing that soothes it if I oil that area heavily.

NaniDiamond

I am no dermatologist, but I since this has been happening to my scalp for as long as I can remember, I have concluded that it's my scalp telling that the pores are clogged (either w/ excess skin cells, oils, etc.) and this is why relaxing resolves if for me..the chemicals in the relaxer remove the dead skin cells, so I used to resolve this prob by touching my roots...

I stopped relaxing (due to breakage, not the scalp thing), then I started clarifying my scalp w/ this product by Ion (brown bottle, green conditioner, used to be at Sally's til they disc'td)...and I concluded that the salicylic acid did the same thing the relaxer did....eat off the dead skin cells...this was a condition most African American women have and it's called "keratosis".

Again, this is MY conclusion and my derm agrees since he had no clue but agreed there was build up.

As long as I clarify my scalp, the soreness/tender spots are gone...when I miss too many treatments (like a month or so)...then the soreness comes back.

IDK...just my theory:ohwell:

GaiasDaughter24

I get sore scalp. I got it last night actually. I oiled my scalp and today it's better. I always contributed it to growth since afterwards my hair would be longer (I'd measure before and after) but I don't know for sure.

BTW, I'm natural.

lovegymnasts

I get it if my twists or plaits are too tight
or
I have been wearing my buns in the same position too long.

It tells me to loosen my hair, start wearing it down for about a week, or put my bun in a different position.

I don't put stock in the hair growing theory. I think that is just wishful thinking and an old wives tale someone made up. The same as dirt makes your hair grow or growing dandruff.

ScarletPhoenix

I am natural and have been experiencing that tender crown area for the last few days. I just keep it moisturized and sealed and keep it moving. My hair is cornrowed under LF so manipulation is minimal

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF