• Forum Upgraded: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/recent-forum-upgrade.849851/

Sorry George Michael...

bellydancer

New Member
ok... i know that George Michael is supposed to be the "expert" on hair and I mean no disrespect, but some of this just sounds really ridiculous to me. Anyone agree or disagree?

Dr. Michael explained that the most important step for growing the longest, healthiest hair possible is to have hair that's all one length. That means absolutely no bangs (or "fringe", to our European friends). Dr. Michael told me, "Bangs are like worms!", which I took to mean they're a pretty bad thing. Fortunately, he explained what he meant.

"Hair is not at its strongest with bangs or layers," Dr. Michael said. "Because humans are mammals, nature will try to equalize the hair by excessively shedding in order to even out all the shorter hairs. This creates an abnormal loss of hair which leads to unhealthy, straggly locks."

Dr. Michael also explained that people, especially women, with blunt-cut long hair have the strongest, healthiest hair possible.

"The longer the hair, the stronger the root," Dr. Michael said. "That's because the root has to work more to support the length. And stronger hair is healthier hair that falls out less."

To prove this point, Dr. Michael says hair that's cut in a 4-inch style may lose up to 87 hairs a day; hair that's 12-inches long loses up to 26 hairs a day; waist-length hair loses 16 hairs a day, and floor-length hair loses just two hairs a day.

As far as growing hair faster, Dr. Michael says, "Hair typically grows just 6 inches per year. I know of just three places in the world where women grow more than half-an-inch per month: Tehuantepec, Mexico; the Piedmont Province of northern Italy, and in parts of Minnesota. Those areas lack iodine in the water, which causes severe thyroid disfunctions including bulging eyes and horrible weight gain. But, their hair is known to grow up to 6 inches per month."

They also shed their hair 60 times during their lifetime, as opposed to healthy people who shed most during six periods in our lifetimes: from birth to age three; at 10, 22, 26, 36, and 54. These "shedding times" are all related to hormonal changes in our bodies and are the body's way of ensuring a six-inch growth rate per year; no more, no less.

So, how does one go about growing out those pesky bangs?

"The hair grows from left to right on your forehead. Part your hair on the left as your bangs grow out. Once they're long enough, part your hair on the right so your hair does 'push-ups' and doesn't appear flat. Once your bangs reach chin-length, you'll notice a serious reduction in fall-out."
 
H

HoneyRockette

Guest
How does he know this? I mean how do you study these things? Has he been to those places and measured everyone's growth? Six inches a month is a bit much. Sometimes I wonder if these hair experts just make things up to make themselves special. If a claim is really outlandish but not totally bogus sounding, people buy into it more. At least I do
 

bocagirl

New Member
[ QUOTE ]
HoneyRockette said:
How does he know this? I mean how do you study these things? Has he been to those places and measured everyone's growth? Six inches a month is a bit much. Sometimes I wonder if these hair experts just make things up to make themselves special. If a claim is really outlandish but not totally bogus sounding, people buy into it more. At least I do


[/ QUOTE ]

I think he said 6 inches a year, not month
 

bocagirl

New Member
I also don't think you would find any "expert" in any area that will say something that everyone will agree with, even on this board. For every 10 that like Nexxus for example, there may be 2 who says that its garbage.

We just have to read and analyse things for ourselves I guess, and not just believe things automatically because an "expert" may say so.
 

Carlie

New Member
[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
HoneyRockette said:
How does he know this? I mean how do you study these things? Has he been to those places and measured everyone's growth? Six inches a month is a bit much. Sometimes I wonder if these hair experts just make things up to make themselves special. If a claim is really outlandish but not totally bogus sounding, people buy into it more. At least I do


[/ QUOTE ]

I think he said 6 inches a year, not month

[/ QUOTE ]

He couldn't have said "year" because that would make them the same as the rest of the world. Apparently, he was trying to point out the differences.
 

bocagirl

New Member
I know of just three places in the world where women grow more than half-an-inch per month:

Ok the quote above is what he said, this means that the usual growth for persons would be 6 inches a year, persons in these 3 areas may get a little more is what he was implying (true or not).
 

Gaea

New Member
I have read something like this before from somewhere else. It made sense to me.... it wasn't worded like he says though.

The body does try and keep everything "equal" so to speak, so the short hairs grow faster than the long hairs.

The rest of the stuff I'm inclined to disbelieve.
 
J

JenniferMD

Guest
I've read about George Michael's method for long hair and I'm still iffy about it. There is a salon that follows George Michael's method in my area and I wasn't impressed with the two AA women's hair the stylist told me about.
 

bellydancer

New Member
bocagirl. they may be what he meant. but this is what it said...

"But, their hair is known to grow up to 6 inches per month."

I hope that's just a typo. Those are his exact words.
 

Tene

New Member
I use to always hear that your hair won't grow if it's uneven. In order for it to grow you would have to cut it all one length. I don't think it's true though.
 

Carlie

New Member
[ QUOTE ]
Tene said:
I use to always hear that your hair won't grow if it's uneven. In order for it to grow you would have to cut it all one length. I don't think it's true though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this website alone is enough evidence to prove that to be false.
 

Ayeshia

New Member
[ QUOTE ]
Carlie said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tene said:
I use to always hear that your hair won't grow if it's uneven. In order for it to grow you would have to cut it all one length. I don't think it's true though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this website alone is enough evidence to prove that to be false.


[/ QUOTE ]

I know thats right
. My hair doesnt grow in even anyway
It grows in layers
 

Nonie

Well-Known Member
[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
I know of just three places in the world where women grow more than half-an-inch per month:

Ok the quote above is what he said, this means that the usual growth for persons would be 6 inches a year, persons in these 3 areas may get a little more is what he was implying (true or not).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bocagirl, if the quote at the start of this thread is accurate then he DID say that hair in those three places grows up to 6 inches in a MONTH. Check out the last line of the paragraph containing the line you just quoted.

[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
Did anyone take into consideration that he may have been speaking on 2a to 2b hair ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the George Michael I have seen online, he does a lot of caucasian hair so he could be referring to that hair or 2a or 2b or 4...I don't know. But regardless of what type of hair he is referring to, I find it odd that he's the first I've heard that talks of hair growing as much as that in a month. I'm not saying he can't have made a discovery, it's just weird that even websites like The Trichology Society one or Oxford Hair Foundation one haven't made those claims. Now Diane Witt's hairgrowth did amaze scientists, and she might be one of the people George Michael is talking about. His theory sounds really good, but it does go against what other scientists seem to agree on. For instance, as far as I know, hair doesn't SHED because it's weak at the roots, so that the longer it is, the less it sheds. It sheds either due to a health issue or because it has completed its growth cycle. Now if he was talking about breaking, maybe that'd make more sense to me. But that's just MHO.
 

bocagirl

New Member
[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
I know of just three places in the world where women grow more than half-an-inch per month:

Ok the quote above is what he said, this means that the usual growth for persons would be 6 inches a year, persons in these 3 areas may get a little more is what he was implying (true or not).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bocagirl, if the quote at the start of this thread is accurate then he DID say that hair in those three places grows up to 6 inches in a MONTH. Check out the last line of the paragraph containing the line you just quoted.

[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
Did anyone take into consideration that he may have been speaking on 2a to 2b hair ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the George Michael I have seen online, he does a lot of caucasian hair so he could be referring to that hair or 2a or 2b or 4...I don't know. But regardless of what type of hair he is referring to, I find it odd that he's the first I've heard that talks of hair growing as much as that in a month. I'm not saying he can't have made a discovery, it's just weird that even websites like The Trichology Society one or Oxford Hair Foundation one haven't made those claims. Now Diane Witt's hairgrowth did amaze scientists, and she might be one of the people George Michael is talking about. His theory sounds really good, but it does go against what other scientists seem to agree on. For instance, as far as I know, hair doesn't SHED because it's weak at the roots, so that the longer it is, the less it sheds. It sheds either due to a health issue or because it has completed its growth cycle. Now if he was talking about breaking, maybe that'd make more sense to me. But that's just MHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I just saw it, my mind must have just ignored it because it didnt' make any sense.
 
H

HoneyRockette

Guest
[ QUOTE ]

The body does try and keep everything "equal" so to speak, so the short hairs grow faster than the long hairs.


[/ QUOTE ]
I got my hair cut in a layered style last year and now all of my hair is the same length BUT it didn't take longer. I believe that short hairs grow faster than longer hairs too but the way he is talking, the long hairs STOP growing until the short hair catch up.
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone take into consideration that he may have been speaking on 2a to 2b hair ?

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean? I thought we established that hair type has nothing to do with monthly hair GROWTH rate. The average growth rate for all types in still 6 inches a year.
 
H

HoneyRockette

Guest
[ QUOTE ]
Those who use his system seem to have very beautiful, healthy-looking hair, so he might know sth we don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am a firm believer that regular salon goers have better and faster progress than non-salon goers, (if only I had the time
). I am sure GM isn't one of those scissor happy stylists we all fear. If you are lucky enough to find one who isn't you'll probably see similar progress.
 
H

HoneyRockette

Guest
Are you sure it was the same products you saw? His products and services run pretty high. He is world renowned. Celebrities use his products. Wanakee's stuff would be in the 99 cents store before his would. I doubt it was the same brand sold for a buck.
 

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i went back and checked same as the site, cause when i saw it some weeks ago i was like i guess his music career is really over
as far as i know the products in the store vary because they buy excess inventory or inventory from stores going out of business. it has very little to do with the products actual "value"
 

bocagirl

New Member
[ QUOTE ]
msportugal said:
i went back and checked same as the site, cause when i saw it some weeks ago i was like i guess his music career is really over
as far as i know the products in the store vary because they buy excess inventory or inventory from stores going out of business. it has very little to do with the products actual "value"

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh????????????
 

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
honeyrocket wanted to know if i saw the read deal at the .99 store and i went back and saw the product. i was confused because i thought it was by george michael the singer.
 

Crysdon

Well-Known Member
[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
msportugal said:
i went back and checked same as the site, cause when i saw it some weeks ago i was like i guess his music career is really over
as far as i know the products in the store vary because they buy excess inventory or inventory from stores going out of business. it has very little to do with the products actual "value"

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

She thought the thread was about George Michael the singer.

 
Top