Soy & Hair Loss?

Discussion in 'Hair Loss' started by Phoenix, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Have any of you heard of this? I was reading a diet/nutrition book and the author recommended whey protein over soy because soy contains large amounts of copper. High doses of copper can contribute to hair loss, fatigue, hypothyroidism, etc. For those of you who drink protein shakes...what kind of protein do you use?

2. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Have any of you heard of this? I was reading a diet/nutrition book and the author recommended whey protein over soy because soy contains large amounts of copper. High doses of copper can contribute to hair loss, fatigue, hypothyroidism, etc. For those of you who drink protein shakes...what kind of protein do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to drink soy milk all the time, but now I stick with
    Whey protein because soy CAN hurt the thyroid.

3. Jade21

Jade21 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Phoenix,

I'm glad you posted this because I don't think I have ever seen the information about soy being excessively high in copper. Overall, I am not a soy fan at all [​IMG] I ingest very little. I've read to many negative things to make any changes anytime soon.

By far, I think whey protein is a much, much better choice for any type of shake. And, there are folks who do not like the whey much better [​IMG]

~Jade~

4. Tracy

Tracy New Member

Blog Posts:
    This si interesting. I wonderif there's a daily amount that has been established as to causing these types of problems.

I can't imagine it's so detrimental that ANY daily amount presents a problem....

Anyone know?

5. jamaraa

jamaraa Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Well, the evidence to the CONTRARY is rather abundant around the globe....the VAST populations of South and Southeast Asia and the Pacific Rim kinda make this one not too credible, IMHO! The consumption of soy is VERY common Asia, but so if this is true....how come everybody ain't bald there?! LOL

If anything, South and Southeast Asians may have LESS incidence of balding than Caucasians....from MY observation w/ the "eyeball test".

Anything done to excess can cause problems, but this sounds like yet another piece of "bad food" science/fad that will turn out to be all wrong 2 years later, IMHO.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, the evidence to the CONTRARY is rather abundant around the globe....the VAST populations of South and Southeast Asia and the Pacific Rim kinda make this one not too credible, IMHO! The consumption of soy is VERY common Asia, but so if this is true....how come everybody ain't bald there?! LOL

If anything, South and Southeast Asians may have LESS incidence of balding than Caucasians....from MY observation w/ the "eyeball test".

Anything done to excess can cause problems, but this sounds like yet another piece of "bad food" science/fad that will turn out to be all wrong 2 years later, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you brought this up. After I read your post I checked and realized that the author (Ann Louise Gittleman) says "In amounts of up to 100 mg per day-the amount Asians typically ingest on a daily basis-soy can be okay..." So you'd have to be ingesting a lot of soy to get any of the bad effects. But she also goes on to say that soy is not a complete protein because it lacks methionine, "an important sulfer-bearing amino acid" and that it contains enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid which can deplete the body of zinc and iron. So it still seems like whey may be a better choice.

7. blackmama77

blackmama77 New Member

Blog Posts:
    i have optimum nutrition pro complex natural strawberry 2.2 lb.