Spiky Twists...Any Suggestions?

quasimodi

When I first cut my hair and decided to go natural, I wore my hair in a TWA or in small twists. I particularly liked the twists, because they stuck up all over my head like a porcupine. I like the look it gives me

However, now that my hair has gotten longer (it's about two-three inches from shoulder length in some areas, different lengths in others), when I twist my hair, the twists tend to fall over. I would love to keep that spiky look going.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do, as far as braiding techniques or different types of twisting creams to try?

I would really appreciate it.

By the way, I apologize if there's a thread on this topic somewhere in the forum. I tried using the search feature, but then gave up in frustration.

ajargon02

Make your shrinkage work for you. I know that I am working on getting to bra strap this year, and I have massive shrinkage. I just twist really small, use my leave in products, and spray with water. It will shrink up about 80-90% in some places and 50% in others. So then, I have to strategically place duck bill clips all over to get my hair in the right position, and I let it air dry. When I am ready to wear the style, I let the shower steam get to it a bit first, or mist lightly. It doesn't give me the exact style that Iused to wear (spikey hair) but it kinda does. Since my hair has gotten a lot longer it's really hard for me to recreate thoes short cute styles that I would often do, but I still try :)

quasimodi

Thanks for the responses!

My shrinkage has to be good for something. I'll try twisting small, using some gel, and spritzing water. Hopefully, nature will do the rest.

I'm determined to grow out my hair, but this transitioning stage, where it's too long to easily do the cute, short hairstyles, but too short to create those elegant, long, natural hair styles, is the pits. I'll be glad when I reach shoulder length all around.

Last edited: