Spinny: Name Your Low Porosity Misses!

Evolving78

My hair is responding a lot better to products that don't have protein in them, and getting rid of the gels that have protein in them.

bklynLadee

My hair hated Camille Rose Naturals moisture curl milk and the almond jai...which is so sad because I really really wanted them to work out. It just made my hair feel so hard. It gave it a nice stretch though, in comparison to Shea Moisture's Coconut line...I did a side by side test and Shea Moisture side was much softer but also had zero hold while CRN had more definition but it felt crunchy blah! I'm looking for a hair twin/sister so if anyone elses hair HATES these but lurves translucent like leave-ins like Kinky Curly Knot Today and Hawaiian Silky 14-1 ... let me know!

faithVA

My hair hated Camille Rose Naturals moisture curl milk and the almond jai...which is so sad because I really really wanted them to work out. It just made my hair feel so hard. It gave it a nice stretch though, in comparison to Shea Moisture's Coconut line...I did a side by side test and Shea Moisture side was much softer but also had zero hold while CRN had more definition but it felt crunchy blah! I'm looking for a hair twin/sister so if anyone elses hair HATES these but lurves translucent like leave-ins like Kinky Curly Knot Today and Hawaiian Silky 14-1 ... let me know!

I've have some success with TGIN's line. It's much lighter than many of the other brands. I haven't tried the Hawaiin Silky because I think it has cones but I may give it a try when I use up a few more products.

faithVA

I have pretty much given up on oils unless it is the day before wash day. If I want to wear my hair out, I need to keep products and glycerin and emollients in the shampoo to conditioner phase. It's a no go after that.

I'm still trying to narrow down my after conditioner regimen to just 2 products. I don't always use a conditioner any more. I'm still figuring this out. I was just doing mud and gel for a few weeks and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

AgeinATL

I have pretty much given up on oils unless it is the day before wash day. If I want to wear my hair out, I need to keep products and glycerin and emollients in the shampoo to conditioner phase. It's a no go after that.

This. I don't care if it is a light oil, heavy oil, ceramide oil, etc. my hair just doesn't like oil. They just don't seem to penetrate and they leave my hair feeling greasy no matter how little I use. I have been using them up as hot oil treatments and on my skin but after I get my oil stash down, I am done buying oils.

faithVA

This. I don't care if it is a light oil, heavy oil, ceramide oil, etc. my hair just doesn't like oil. They just don't seem to penetrate and they leave my hair feeling greasy no matter how little I use. I have been using them up as hot oil treatments and on my skin but after I get my oil stash down, I am done buying oils.
I've given up on oils for a while now. They do nothing. Make my hair dry. Which is why I've moved over to butters.
Yeah I have mixed my oils and added essential oils and use that to oil my scalp which I will be doing more of as the winter nears.

AgeinATL

What butters have you had success with? I haven't had a lot of success with butters but I may be applying too much or doing too much layering

Like Tasia, I use butters as well. I use creamier, water-based butters and I use just enough to lightly cover my hair. I don't use a ton, just lightly swipe the top and apply to each twist. I have had much better luck sealing with a water based butter than a true butter (one without water or conditioners) and an oil.

I love Camille Rose JAI, Soultanicals knot kokoa and Soultanicals marula muru; however, I can no longer swear by the ST products because of the inconsistency of each batch. This BF, I plan to try a new butter from Texture Me Naturals, My Honey Child, or Siamese twists.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
What butters have you had success with? I haven't had a lot of success with butters but I may be applying too much or doing too much layering

CRN Almond Jai, QB Burdock Butter Cream or Amla Heavy Cream and My Honey Child Type 4. I normally use leave in, Moisturizer and then a small amount of the butter on top before twisting. Like, a really small amount. A jar can last me 6 months that's how much I use.

If it's worth it, i avoid Shea butter at all costs.

AgeinATL

CRN Almond Jai, QB Burdock Butter Cream or Amla Heavy Cream and My Honey Child Type 4. I normally use leave in, Moisturizer and then a small amount of the butter on top before twisting. Like, a really small amount. A jar can last me 6 months that's how much I use.

If it's worth it, i avoid Shea butter at all costs.

@faithVA

This is KEY for LP hair in my opinion. Use a small amount. Like Tasia, my jar of butters last me a good 6 months. That is how little you need.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Have you tried the crn aloe whipped butter gel? That one is lighter.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm natural now and hydrolyzed wheat protein is still sketchy for my hair. Oils do nothing for my hair now. That's a natural thing I'm pretty sure and not a low po thing.

CopperRose

The only butter my hair has had success with are QB butters but since my hair is lo po I stick with the cocoa tree ghee. The Amla oil one and the Atheiopika (sp?) ones feel nice but are a bit heavy so I have to be really careful when applying. I wish I had tried apb's butters...

faithVA

@faithVA, How are you liking TGIN? Please say you hate as I don't want to buy yet more hair products. They are having a 9.99 BF sale.
I have to disappoint you. So far I really like them. They really do moisturize my hair but I haven't been using them consistently.

They do have glycerin in some of them so if you aren't a glycerin fan be aware.

HaveSomeWine

Garnier Fructis and L'Oréal Paris Shampoos, Rinse Out Conditioners, and Leave In Conditioners- coat my hair in a gross, waxy film. My hair dries crunchy and hard as a rock whenever I used these products.

Toque Emergencia Protein Conditioner- Stinky and did nothing for my hair.

VO5 products- too thin/light for my hair.

Hair Cholesterol- Too heavy for my hair.

Redken and Joico- Too heavy/did nothing for my hair.

Kinky Curly Knot Today- Made my hair crunchy and gross.

Olive Oil- Made my hair dry and gross. Too heavy.

Apple Cider Vinegar- Stinky and made my hair extremely tangly.

Aussie Moist- Too heavy and Stinky.