Spinoff: Ask a WSL and Beyond Lady

Lucia

1. If you get them: How do you deal with tangles, matting, SSK (single strand knots) dry hair, itchy scalp?

I don't get mattes anymore since I'm not braiding my hair up and using a sew-in, that caused a lot of tangles, matting,and itchy scalp even though I took it down every 1.5-2 months.
I soak my hair in oil, dampen with water let it sit for a while under a plastic cap, then I'll slowly detangle from ends to roots with a wide tooth seamless comb.
SSK's: I do S&D when I find them or fell them I don't cut into my length. I also keep my ends moisturized 1-2x/daily then seal with EVOO & Safflower oil. If it's straight then I just lightly seal the last 2 inches with oil.

2. How often do you trim, dust or S&D the knots and SSK's only when you need?

I S&D the knots and SSK's when I need to. I trim now every 6 months 0.5-1inch according to the moon cycle.

3. What are your staple products and how do you use them?
For CW, DC, and moisturizing:
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Mane n Tail conditioner
For sealing:
EVOO, EVCO, Safflower oil, East African Shea Butter (nilotica) -love this stuff it's soft and moist I use it on my skin in winter to seal the lotion in.

4. Do you still do wash n go's, what products do you use to get your WnG look?

I haven't perfected my WnG technique or products yet, I'll post that when I figure that out.

5. What's your straight/stretched length now front and back of hair? And what's you goal length or how long will you let your hair grow?

front stretched: passed CBL grazing boobs. back stretched: lower BSL grazing MBL-I haven't done an official length check in a while.
ETA: I like HL/TL for me but I'll let it grow to Classic that's the longest I"ll grow.

6. Has your hair ever been this long before?

Yes, this is like my 3rd time at this length, during my HHJ.

7. For naturals: What do you say to naturals who are getting discouraged and ready to give up on being natural and go back on the creamy crack (relaxers/perms/texturizers)?

When I get discouraged I look at fotki's and YT of naturals who have great natural hair meaning healthy and thick not always the super-long ones but those help so I remind myself I can do it again.

I especially look at their progress over the months or years to remind myself everyone has set backs and everyone has to come back from unhealthy hair practices and habits.
Also I suggest they try everything they can in natural haircare different products, techniques styles and if they're still unhappy and want to relax then research it well before they relax that way they can do it in a healthy way and for the right reasons.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/spinoff-ask-a-wsl-and-beyond-lady.438408/page-9

1. If you get them: How do you deal with tangles, matting, SSK (single strand knots) dry hair, itchy scalp?
My hair doesn't tangle much anymore only if I ignore it for over a week, which I usually don't do. I keep my hair organized either braided up at night or in a pineapple, satin bonnet or sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase.
Matting does not happen, I don't let it, I don't leave my hair unattended or up in braids for no more than 2 weeks at a time. Then I will co-wash, DC, apply my moisturizers and sealers and re-braid. If its a style with braid extensions (which I don't really wear much anymore) then I make sure to used mister spray with light oil in it and keep my hair and scalp moist and nourished.
*The key to braids or wigs is don't ignore your hair, take care of it, and if it's in a style where you can't access your natural hair and scalp and take care of them, moisturizing, oiling etc... then reconsider the style. No style is worth my hairs health and progress. Dry hair and itchy scalp is a function again of either ignoring my hair and scalp for a long period of time ( for me personally 2 weeks or more) or possible allergy to some new product.

2. How often do you trim, dust or S&D the knots and SSK's only when you need?
Right now it's only when I need, and I still try and follow the moon cycle when trimming or dusting. I find that my technique and knowledge of products that work for me and my hair is much better now and I have limited SSKs and knots I still get them but it's so much less now.

3. What are your staple products and how do you use them?

EVCO, EVOO, argan oil, jojoba oil, castor/jamaican black castor oil, grapeseed oil, monoi oil, and a homemade ayurvedic oil, whipped shea or mango butter, those are my favs I keep some on standby and regular rotation depending on season. Water or water diluted aloe vera juice mister spray.
Camille Rose Naturals: moisture butter, moisture milk, jansysn's conditioner and coconut water DC.
or Kinky Curly: knot today and gel for summer wash n gos. (will phase these out using up products I have)
In winter I use butters and oils as my end styler and curls blueberry edge control pomade, and a scarf tie it down for 10 minutes, no gels.
Eco Styler Gel for edges mostly or whenever I need stronger hold for super humid days in the summer. (trying to phase out eco styler gel completely from my routine it's too drying and crunchy)

Aphogee 2 step protein treatment, protein spray leave in when I need it only.
Shea moisture raw shea DC masque, JBCO leave in.
Co washing: cheap conditioners like suave and tressemmee

Rinse out: Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner sometimes I use this as my leave in too.
Using the LOC method for styling. DC at least 2x a month, under heat cap or steamer.

4. Do you still do wash n go's, what products do you use to get your WnG look?
CRN, KCCC sometimes eco styler over any leave in above. I've been phasing out using KCCC and Eco styler. I still alternate using Eco styler for edges.

5. What's your straight/stretched length now front and back of hair? And what's you goal length or how long will you let your hair grow?
Front MBL back WSL I will let m hair grow to goal HL/TL goal then maintain.

6. Has your hair ever been this long before?

Yes, see quoted above, and recently I've had stalls where my hair is just resting, but it's on the grow now.

7. For naturals: What do you say to naturals who are getting discouraged and ready to give up on being natural and go back on the creamy crack (relaxers/perms/texturizers)?

I watch youtubers, instagrams, google pics, hair blogs, who have reached the hair goals I'm aiming for and have healthy hair and haircare techniques. Try everything you can to improve your technique, find products that work in the right order and combination. If that doesn't work and you're frustrated, I say look at the real reasons you want to relax/texturize and remember why you went natural in the first place and see what fits your needs and lifestyle best.

Last edited:

Lucia

Not much has changed in my regimen just some small adjustments, my hair needs more product and more moisture especially in the winter. I'm also trying to phase out gels completely from my regimen.

Updated Regimen 2017

Nightly: spray mist AVJ, vegetable glycerin and water, moisture milk and/or seal with oil or whipped butter. Pineapple or loose braids, silk/satin pillowcase or bonnet.

Weekly: cowash, DC, LOCB (usual moisture, seal routine)

Monthly or when needed: acv diluted with water to clarify or if Ive used heavy silicones I use sulfate shampoo, usually I use a sulfate free shampoo if I need to clarify for a fresh start, then I'll follow any shampooing with a co wash or aphogee 2minute reconstructor or 2-step protein treatment, then DC with heat cap or steamer. Then moisture seal routine.

Rarely straighten, use bonnet dryer or diffuser to dry my hair for winter, air dry mostly in summer months.
Styles: Protective styles, wng, braidouts, twistouts.

Favorite products some on current rotation:

CRN moisture milk, moisture butter, DC. Homemade whipped butter, SM JBCO leave in, SM Raw Shea DC, curls blueberry paste for edges, eco styler gel for edges (phasing out eco styler gel because it's drying to my hair), homemade mist (AVJ,vegetable glycerin and water), ACV diluted with water (to clarify), Infusium 23 original.

Oils: evco, evoo, castor, jojoba, grape seed, Argan, and monoi oils.

ApHogee: Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer (spray), Keratin 2-Minute Reconstructor, 2-Step Protein Treatment. I alternate my misters/sprays as needed.

Last edited:

Lucia

@Lucia, it took you two years to go from BSL to WL...what did you do to achieve this goal?

@Janet'

I braided my hair up damp w some conditioner and oil in, after washing it and DC weaved it up for most of that time 2 months up in the weave 1 week out DC daily and daily buns under phonyponys. <--again my hair was still hiding.

I used to shampoo still then when my hair grazed MBL I switched to CW only simplified my regimen, stopped being a crazed PJ and jumped off all the bandwagons and that got me over the hump.

I also work out regularly 3-4x/week eating right, drinking water 1L/day and vitamins. I misted and oiled or buttered my scalp/hair while it was weaved up and I did a whole head (and weave) baggie every night I was hardcore. :lol:

The main things were PS, DC, keeping it moisturized, dusting, and eating healthy. HHG

Flashback repost! From page 8
https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/spinoff-ask-a-wsl-and-beyond-lady.438408/page-8

Last edited:

Leo24Rule

@Lucia AVJ = Apple Cider Vinegar Juice or is the Aloe Vera Juice?

In your night hair mist what arethe measurements of the ingredients?

I haven't worn weaves, but thinking about doing it in April to Summer. When wearing a weave how did you moisturized your hair underneath? What was your concoction? And how often did you do it?

Lucia

@Lucia AVJ = Apple Cider Vinegar Juice or is the Aloe Vera Juice?

In your night hair mist what arethe measurements of the ingredients?

I haven't worn weaves, but thinking about doing it in April to Summer. When wearing a weave how did you moisturized your hair underneath? What was your concoction? And how often did you do it?

@Leo24Rule

AVJ = aloe Vera juice ACV= apple cider vineagre

I have an aloe Vera juice, vegetable glycerin, water mist I use, then for clarifying it's acv apple cider vineagre diluted with water. I don't have exact measurements, I just eyeball the mixture, just don't add too much vegetable glycerin.
The easiest for keeping the braids most is scurl and a light oil, that's what I used when I wore them. Now I would use my mister concoction and a light oil. You could get a braid spray but I found they either have cones or mineral oil and not enough water and real oils. That mineral oil and cones will just block any moisture getting in after you've applied them, and it you're hairs braided up for a while no moisture is getting to your strands. Always make sure the weave style you choose has easy access to your scalp, if not your hair will suffer under the weave and come out worse than better. If I were to braid my hair up now I would opt for a wig that I could put on and take off daily so I could get to my real hair and moisturize daily also wash and DC my own hair weekly. Some YTbers who are aces at this are blackgorlwithlonghair and ulovemegz ?spelling I've featured them one this thread, look them up on YT tons of good techniques to wig it up and keep it healthy. HTH

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

WL ladies -- did you find that your growth stalled at any point in your journey? (Not a setback, but a rest period?)

Every single time I hit MBL....I stall and end up trimming. Usually when I do frequent dustings I get past the stall.

I did a 2-3 inch trim back in October all around my head. I am past due for a good 1/4 inch dusting. I'll do that with my hair curly.

Last edited:

Lucia

WL ladies -- did you find that your growth stalled at any point in your journey? (Not a setback, but a rest period?)

Either MBL or WL, I've gotten some lead hairs passed WL in the past I either resting or had a small set back. This time I'm hoping to plow right through passed WL to HL. I think I stalled because I reached a big goal and got complacent, i.e. lazy with my deep conditioning, daily moisturizing and regimen in general.

Last edited:

Lucia

My Hair Regimen as of Aug 2020

Basically my hair is in protective styles mainly crochet braids or under a wig.

Every 4-6 weeks I take down the crochet install
oil with scalp treatment coat hair with herbal hair mask overnight or if I’m in a hurry 30m same day
Next day wash with either ACV water then aphogee 2 step followed by balancing rinse then deep moisturizing conditioner under a hair steamer for 30m at least.

Then moisturize and seal with Melanin Cream And oil. In between installs, I use dry shampoo on my scalp and the crochet hair when I can’t co wash, I always keep my hair smelling and looking fresh.
I spray mist with aloe vera juice use handheld steamer to get the moisture into the hair then oil hair and scalp and massage with the handheld scalp massager.
2x month I’ll cowash the crochet braids carefully let half dry moisturize and seal. Usually 1- 2x week just water rinse seal with oil.

If under a wig wig comes off at the end of every day, mist and oil massage every other day then I co wash every week I do the ACV and conditioner rinse. Sometimes I shampoo monthly to get all the build up out.
I haven’t been straitening and I don’t check my length all the time, Having my hair tucked away helps with that.

Every 3-6 months I do a henna treatment. Sometimes I make a henna rinse and mist my hair.

Products
Melanin Multi use Oil
Melanin Twist elongating style cream (Melanin is my go to moisture and seal duo)
Blue Beaitufy Organic amalaki scalp oil serum ( great blend of ayurvedic oils light and smells good not strong) got that from wholistic habits and other HL classic women on YT.
The innate life Herbal hair mask
The innate life Rose elixir (serum to seal hair)
The innate life scalp treatment.
Apple cider vinegar
Cream of Nature sulfate free shampoo or TGIN
neutrogena clarifying shampoo (on standby for really bad build up only happens with certain products I don’t use much anymore)
kinky curly knot today and custard -sometimes usually if I’m wearing my hair curly looking to streamline my wash n go products with less heavy products and less products in general
curlkeeper slip detangler
Ouidad Curl Recovery Melt Down Extreme Repair Mask (Yes it’s worth the $$)
Aphogee 2 step protein treatment (Protein and balancing conditioner)
Aphogee keratin 2 minute conditioner I always use aphogee 2 step and follow with the keratin.
Mane choice hydrating shampoo conditioner rinse DC pre poo (using these up and will not re purchase they’re good but don’t need them as much now)

Cheap Suave Aussie moist tresseme moisturizing conditioners for co washing.

If you notice #Devacurliscancelled

Im also doing a personal use it up challenge I’m trying to minimalze my hair products to just what I really need I want to get down to 1 shampoo, dry shampoo, conditioner, deep moisturizing conditioner, 1-2 stylers, 1 cowash conditioner, and get rid of the rest.
innate life and blue butterfly products are staying ive seen good growth and thickness from their products and they’re all natural to my knowledge.

For my curly styles I’m going to slowly compare kinky curly vs Melanin vs mixed chicks and see which products give me consistent results and minimal frizz curls And top of the list less steps and products to achieve my curly styles. I don’t have time to hit and miss with the wash n go. I’ll keep Melanin as my moisture seal combo cause it works.

products I use on the crochet hair or wigs
braid spray
shine spray
dry shampoo Bautista or Cantu dry shampoo acv w tea tree
Aussie mousse

Will be switching out shampoos listed above for liquid Castille soap and ACV for occasional shampoo days.
Also henna when needed

Last edited:

Lucia

My Hair Regimen as of Aug 2020

Basically my hair is in protective styles mainly crochet braids or under a wig.

Every 4-6 weeks I take down the crochet install
oil with scalp treatment coat hair with herbal hair mask overnight or if I’m in a hurry 30m same day
Next day wash with either ACV water then aphogee 2 step followed by balancing rinse then deep moisturizing conditioner under a hair steamer for 30m at least.

Then moisturize and seal with Melanin Cream And oil. In between installs, I use dry shampoo on my scalp and the crochet hair when I can’t co wash, I always keep my hair smelling and looking fresh.
I spray mist with aloe vera juice use handheld steamer to get the moisture into the hair then oil hair and scalp and massage with the handheld scalp massager.
2x month I’ll cowash the crochet braids carefully let half dry moisturize and seal. Usually times just water rinse seal with oil.

If under a wig wig comes off at the end of every day, mist and oil massage every other day then weekly I co wash every 2 weeks I do the ACV and conditioner rinse. Sometimes I shampoo to get all the build up out.
I haven’t been straitening and I dnot check my length all the time, Having my hair tucked away helps with that.

Every 3-6 months I do a henna treatment. Sometimes I make a henna rinse and mist my hair.

Products
Melanin Multi use Oil
Melanin Twist elongating style cream (Melanin is my go to moisture and seal duo)
Blue Buttefly Organic amalaki scalp oil serum ( great blend of ayurvedic oils light and smells good not strong) got that from wholistic habits and other HL classic women on YT.
The innate life Herbal hair mask
The innate life Rose elixir (serum to seal hair)
The innate life scalp treatment.
Apple cider vinegar
Cream of Nature sulfate free shampoo or TGIN
neutrogena clarifying shampoo (on standby for really bad build up only happens with certain products I don’t use much anymore)
kinky curly knot today and custard -sometimes usually if I’m wearing my hair curly looking to streamline my wash n go products with less heavy products and less products in general
curlkeeper slip detangler
Ouidad Curl Recovery Melt Down Extreme Repair Mask (Yes it’s worth the $$)
Aphogee 2 step protein treatment (Protein and balancing conditioner)
Aphogee keratin 2 minute conditioner I always use aphogee 2 step and follow with the keratin.
Mane choice hydrating shampoo conditioner rinse DC pre poo (using these up and will not re purchase they’re good but don’t need them as much now)

Cheap Suave Aussie moist tresseme moisturizing conditioners for co washing.

If you notice #Devacurliscancelled

Im also doing a personal use it up challenge I’m trying to minimalze my hair products to just what I really need I want to get down to 1 shampoo, dry shampoo, conditioner, deep moisturizing conditioner, 1-2 stylers, 1 cowash conditioner, and get rid of the rest.
innate life and blue butterfly products are staying ive seen good growth and thickness from their products and they’re all natural to my knowledge.

For my curly styles I’m going to slowly compare kinky curly vs Melanin vs mixed chicks and see which products give me consistent results and minimal frizz curls And top of the list less steps and products to achieve my curly styles. I don’t have time to hit and miss with the wash n go. I’ll keep Melanin as my moisture seal combo cause it works.

products I use on the crochet hair or wigs
briad spray
shine spray
dry shampoo Bautista or Cantu dry shampoo acv w tea tree
Aussie mousse

Will be switching out shampoos listed above for liquid Castille soap and ACV for occasional shampoo days.
Also henna when needed

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
This will be my first time combining all of the perfected aspects of my first 3 attempts going WL. Last time I went WL, I’m fairly certain I was slipping into a tapered V with the point grazing my hips, so technically HL. I never claim HL because I didn’t care enough to measure since I think V shapes are ugly. At least, I don’t like how they look on me. Shortly after realizing how long the scraggly “tail” in the back of my head was, I snipped it down a little below my waist.

I’m posting in case anyone has experienced this, or has ideas on what it could be. I’m not sure if my hair began to naturally “feather” at WL, giving me longer layers than I like (a narrower U shape, more like a V with the tip cut off). Or if my regimen couldn’t take me beyond WL and maintain the shape I like (a U). Or something else.

My hair holds haircut shapes very well (the trimming required is minimal since the ends are normally so healthy), so I’m not sure how/why such a narrow V shape crept up on me once I passed WL. :scratchchin: I’m not sure if I’m articulating my query all that well:perplexed: Worst case scenario, I can refer to this post if it happens again, and that will give me somewhere to start if I try to solve whatever the problem turns out to be.

I suppose this is a question I have for WL & beyond ladies:

Were you able to maintain the SHAPE of hair you like AND the length? Or did you have to sacrifice shape for length?

(example: you like having a very thick, almost blunt U hemline with WL hair, HOWEVER, you find that once you get past WL, your hair starts tapering more and you lose considerable fullness in your hemline— without visible damage— into more of a V shape? On curly I would say, it’s probably like trying to maintain a round shape, but in order to keep that roundness with longer hair, the top has to be significantly shorter than the bottom and middle— or else you’re ok having Δ triangle hair, which is cool too :look:)

Lucia

This will be my first time combining all of the perfected aspects of my first 3 attempts going WL. Last time I went WL, I’m fairly certain I was slipping into a tapered V with the point grazing my hips, so technically HL. I never claim HL because I didn’t care enough to measure since I think V shapes are ugly. At least, I don’t like how they look on me. Shortly after realizing how long the scraggly “tail” in the back of my head was, I snipped it down a little below my waist.

I’m posting in case anyone has experienced this, or has ideas on what it could be. I’m not sure if my hair began to naturally “feather” at WL, giving me longer layers than I like (a narrower U shape, more like a V with the tip cut off). Or if my regimen couldn’t take me beyond WL and maintain the shape I like (a U). Or something else.

My hair holds haircut shapes very well (the trimming required is minimal since the ends are normally so healthy), so I’m not sure how/why such a narrow V shape crept up on me once I passed WL. :scratchchin: I’m not sure if I’m articulating my query all that well:perplexed: Worst case scenario, I can refer to this post if it happens again, and that will give me somewhere to start if I try to solve whatever the problem turns out to be.

I suppose this is a question I have for WL & beyond ladies:

Were you able to maintain the SHAPE of hair you like AND the length? Or did you have to sacrifice shape for length?

(example: you like having a very thick, almost blunt U hemline with WL hair, HOWEVER, you find that once you get past WL, your hair starts tapering more and you lose considerable fullness in your hemline— without visible damage— into more of a V shape? On curly I would say, it’s probably like trying to maintain a round shape, but in order to keep that roundness with longer hair, the top has to be significantly shorter than the bottom and middle— or else you’re ok having Δ triangle hair, which is cool too :look:)
V shape doesn’t mean breakage most people’s hair doesn’t grow evenly just dust when you see or feel splits or knots. if you let it grow out more it will thicken up at the hemline and then you can trim it back to a thicker u shape or blunt hemline.

My hair naturally grows in a tapered V shape so I just dust then even it up once I’m an inch or 2 past a goal I usually get a U shape so I don’t loose too much length.
Hth

Last edited:

Lucia

@Lucia Are you doing a PS challenge til goal length? Is this your normal routine you’re planning to keep After goal length? :scratchchin:

Yes I will PS until goal, for my routine I think so but I always adjust my routine as needed but the core of my regimen stays the same I don’t change what works. ETA: Unless the brand changes the formula and it no longer works for me.

Last edited: