Spinoff: Ask a WSL and Beyond Lady

Carrie A

Wanted to ask the WSL ladies what were some of their biggest setbacks on the hairgrowth journey and how long did it take for them to recover from a setback? Love this thread by the way. I've been lurking for a long time and I'm fairly new to the forum but I appreciated all the advice that was given in this thread.

I experienced a huge knot that formed from a single strand knot. I had to cut it out. I've experienced breakage over the past year from letting my hair go too long without detangling. I've had quite a bit of shedding and I lost a lot of hair when I got it pressed at the salon recently. The breakage resulted in thinning ends. I'm "in recovery" now:grin: and have opted for more frequent trims and combing. Basically in an effort to keep the hair from getting matted.

leiah

I love to rollerset and would love to continue to throughout my journey, but feel like it may be impossible to do once I reach a certain length.

Is there any regular rollerset-ers? I don't see too many WL women who rollerset at all. If so, which [magnetic] rollers do you use?

I can't rollerset because my arms are not long enough to pull my hair taut and get the ends to lay flat on the roller!

Mystic

Wow @Jewell. That's a lot in 4+ years, and despite all the cuts, you are still at WL. AMAZING!!! I have done a lot of bc also and my hair is no where near WL. Your hair definitely grows super duper fast.

I have never encountered a setback, thankfully, and postpartum shedding has never reared its ugly head with either of my children. My first transition was for 9 months, during my pregnancy with my daughter (11/2007-07/2008). Here's what my hair has done in gen over the last 6+ yrs. I chopped my MBL relaxed hair to a faux hawk only 3" long in the top and 1/2" long on the sides in sept. 2007. By my bc before delivery in july 08, it was APL...

I BC'd to a twa in july 2008, then relaxed my hair 4 mos later in nov. 08. It had grown to APL again by 11/2008 (virgin relaxer). By JULY 2009 I was ready to transition again. My hair was BSB at that point. I grew it out for 18 months, and in Jan 2011 BC'd AGAIN. BY THE TIME I BC'D in jan 2011, my hair had grown to waist length. I chopped and was left with APL natural hair. kept growing it and in june 2012 got a virgin relaxer. My hair was MBL june 2012, and grew to WL by nov 2012. I will mention I was pregnant from march to dec of 2012 and had some very fast growth, about an inch a month. My texture was also softer but the ng grew in thicker.

My last tu was nov 2012 and I decided to relax in june because my natural hair had become too much work. I knew I was having another baby and did not have the time or patience (or energy) while preggers to deal with natural hair. Im glad I relaxed because with a 2 month old and 4.5 yr old I need easy-to-style hair. Currently, my hair is past WL with some hefty NG.

Lucia

I love to rollerset and would love to continue to throughout my journey, but feel like it may be impossible to do once I reach a certain length.

Is there any regular rollerset-ers? I don't see too many WL women who rollerset at all. If so, which [magnetic] rollers do you use?

Extremus

I have problems roller setting, but even when my hair was shorter I couldn't get it right. I never had the patience to sit there and set my hair. I'm thinking about trying it again now since I see quite a few long haired ladies having some success with it.

Mahoganycurls rollerset
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UYkLRYMW0I

JosieLynn

Lucia i just watched that video, giving me more inspiration :grin:

so here's a random question....why are they called magnetic rollers when there's no magnet involved? I've always wondered that lol

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Extremus

I have problems roller setting, but even when my hair was shorter I couldn't get it right. I never had the patience to sit there and set my hair. I'm thinking about trying it again now since I see quite a few long haired ladies having some success with it.

Mahoganycurls rollerset
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UYkLRYMW0I

Pretty girl however I didn't like the results. That's why I stopped rollersetting once my hair passed BSB. The hair becomes to long & weighs down the curls where it lacks the fullness at the roots that I like so much. *shrugs*

Enyo

1. If you get them: How do you deal with tangles, matting, SSK (single strand knots) dry hair, itchy scalp?
@Lucia SSK's just get cut off. The first time I did it, I was freaked out. But now I have enough hair to just get rid of them. Finger detangling twice a week helps prevent matting and spraying my hair with water or Phyto daily helps keep hair moist between washings. I don't really try to do much for itching scalp. I take a medication that makes me scratch all the time anyway.

2. How often do you trim, dust or S&D the knots and SSK's only when you need?
I only trim when needed, which is usually 3-4 times per year. I seem to have a SSK at least once a week.

3. What are your staple products and how do you use them?
The only constant all these years as been my GPB (once or twice a week), cassia (every other month), and Wild Growth Oil (sealing every time I wash). I only use sulfate-free shampoos, but the brand switches. I like phytospecific misting spray as a daily refresher, but it's expensive and I mainly only use it when I'm going to roller set my hair.

4. Do you still do wash n go's, what products do you use to get your WnG look?

No more WnG. I think my hair is too big. I have a big head and don't need to draw more attention to it.

5. What's your straight/stretched length now front and back of hair? And what's you goal length or how long will you let your hair grow?
It's MBL length in the front (if that makes sense) and almost exactly at WL in the back. I don't plan on cutting my hair anytime soon. I'll let it grow for as long as it wants to.

6. Has your hair ever been this long before?
Not as an adult. It was about MBL for most of my childhood.

7. For naturals: What do you say to naturals who are getting discouraged and ready to give up on being natural and go back on the creamy crack (relaxers/perms/texturizers)?
NO! I love my natural hair.

Ladies I have to know!!!!!!! The closer you got to WL how did you feel? Were you shocked? Excited? Did it at first seem unrealistic? When you reached WL did you pass out? Happy dance? What was your initial reaction? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) I GOT TO KNOW!!! I'm having hair anxiety. LOL! !

@pre_medicalrulz I didn't know I was WL in the back until a week ago and I'm still freaked out. It really renewed my desire to take really good care of my hair. I do suffer from bipolar disorder and I honestly thought I was having one of my vivid medication-induced dreams about growing hair to my waist. Either that or a pure hallucination. :ohwell: I never thought my hair could actually get this long.

WL Ladies do you get scared someone will cut your hair or something? I've heard stories about kids cutting off ponytails and whatnot but as you get older is this something you still worry about?

@lovebug10 Yes, I do, honestly. I'm also scared of people outside my family and two trusted co-workers finding out how long my hair actually is (I'm a 99% bunner). I don't want the attention nor do I care to hear requests to let it down or come to work with it straightened.

As I've gotten older, my hair has just gotten more personal. I don't really want to let it down for everyone to see. It feels like an intimate part of me that I don't want to share with random people. I only feel safe with LHCF, immediate family, a few friends, and the co-workers I mentioned before.

Last edited:

Duff

I cant wait for wl. I believe the setbacks are behind me know and since I'm transitioning (again), I'm going all the way.

marta9227

I haven't rollerset since MBL I think. The results were beautiful, it just took forever and my arms were killing me! When my hair was APL and BSL I experimented with all kinds of rollersets and bantu knots and twistouts with 40 or 50 twists and it was all so exciting! The longer my hair gets the simpler I want/need it to be. In the winter I blowdry it straight, flat iron the roots and wrap it every night, bunning Monday through Friday and wearing it loose on the weekends. In the summer I DC and wash once a week, and put it in two braids every night. I bun Monday through Friday and wear it loose on the weekends. And that's it! I never get the urge to do anything fancier than that, way too much work, lol!

hillytmj

I am WL and have rollersetted continually for the past 5 years since I started my LHCF journey. I use a Highland Upright dryer and it takes about 1.5 hours to dry. I have learned over this journey that for me, it's best to stick with what works. I use a mix of the red and purple magnetic rollers; the red is used for the "mohawk" area, and I do purple on the sides. This makes it a little faster to roll. I used to roll with all purple, but I don't feel there's enough tension in the mohawk area once I'm about 3 or 4 weeks post and that section ends up poofy. So this new combo-rollers method works better for me.

Lucia

WL ladies

1. What are you doing to maintain your hair health and length?

2. Are you enjoying your length now that you're WL?

Lucia

I'm sticking with what works so my regimen is the same that got me to WL again.

I'm only part time enjoying my hair b I have to wear it up for work but on off days especially in summer it's down 50% of that off day time otherwise it's up in PS buns braid outs etc. the reason is I'm going for HL full speed now.

pre_medicalrulz

Still PSing but more so w/ pinups & buns.

No.

Jewell

WL ladies

1) I shampoo and condition once per week, only shampooing the scalp and letting the run-off cleanse the length. Mild relaxer (texlax) TU every 12-14 weeks. Protective styling using buns, French twists using clips or hair sticks, single braid twirled into a bun, etc.

I PS about 98% of the time for convenience and of course to avoid mechanical damage and dryness. I should be HL the first of July when I TU. I was only 1" away the beginning of this month and my NG was not stretched. I make sure to heavily seal the ends after each wash.

2) I enjoy the length, but it is too hot outside to wear it down, and I don't use direct heat. I think I will enjoy the length more and more as it gets longer. Maybe when I get to TL I will wear it down a lil more. But being that I'm on a no-trimming challenge and my goal is terminal length (as long as it will grow), PS'ing a lot of the time will remain integral to preserve the ends.

P.S. I haven't roller set my hair regularly since I was maintaining at BSL, 7-8 years ago. I air dry my hair loose with a scarf tied over the front (scarf method), and bun or braid it once it's mostly dry.

That's it...I like very simple hair care. Even back then at BSL it took 2 hrs to dry and 30 mins to roll my hair. This does not include wash time, and since I have children now, I can't be bothered with alladat. :lol:

ETA: I don't wear my hair down at all during summer, and I agree with leiah...it's too darn hot to wear it down. Mine feels like a wool blanket on my back and makes me sweat terribly in the humidity we have here (100% at times). I only wear it down a few times during the cool months.

Last edited:

marta9227

WL ladies

1. Protective style, protective style, protective style! Lol. I bun five to six days a week. Especially in this Lord Have Mercy Heat!

2. Yes but hairorexia is insane! At mbl people marveled at my length but I thought If I can just make it to waist length! Now I'm at whip and my coworkers and church members are freaking out and I'm like it'll finally feel long at hip. I just watched Priceless Love on YouTube and she's past tailbone and super thick and that made whip feel bald headed to me. Lol I'm a mess because two years ago I'd have believed you saw a unicorn and a leprechaun before I'd believe I could ever have waist length hair!

Sent from my right hand- I mean my Note 2 lol

leiah

WL ladies

1. Same thing ive been doing since the beginning. Lots of moisture and buns

2. No. Its like wearing a heavy black cape in 90 degree weather. And my one year old pulls it.

Lucia

I hear ya. I've been feeling the same way since I hit waist length. I might go back to MBL one day. I'm always afraid of cutting my hair.

MBL just never seemed like it was long enough for me to feel like my hair was really long. Even if I seems long on someone else it's long on them that's that hair anorexia again.

Lucia

Any waistlength ladies BKT?

I tried it once epic fail and that's he reason I had to cut my hair back to bsl it was so damaged from the bkt I had to cut that much off
I've seen others who it works for but the chemicals is enough to fry your hit alone much less the amount of heat needed for it
I have the limp lifeless curls pic post bkt in my fotki

Lucia

havilland

The bkt I tried once was an epic fail its why I cut from WL back to BSL the chems alone are enough to ruin your hair then add all the heat and its gaur teed to damage your hair sooner or later. It looks good but I haven't seen anyone keep it up long term and still have healthy long hair but bkt ladies could chime on here

Lucia

Products: KCKT, KCCC EVCO, AOHSR, AOGPB Ayurvedic oils, Avocado Butter, Castor Oil, Eco styler Olive Oil Gel

Pre-Co wash: EVCO hot oil or DC w/ AOHSR or both moisture 15-30 min under plastic cap
protein: AOGPB

Co-wash and Leave-in: AOHSR/KCKT

Scal.p massage: 3x/week with ayurvedic.herbs infused oils that I make myself.

Sealer: EVCO or for heavy sealing in winter Castor oil or Avocado Butter

Styler: KCCC and some ECO Styler Olive Oil on edges

Clarify: ACV diluted with water 1 part ACV to 4 parts water

I rarely straighten my hair now.

Straight hair: no stylers, no leave ins, just a little bit of EVCO on the last 2 inches.

Only when needed:

S&D
dusting and trim from new to full moon days only

Styles: Buns, baggie buns, ponytails, braidouts, wash n go's

Sleep style: high loose ponytail or loose braids under a satin bonnet

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

Ok ok ok ladies wake up! I have a question. For my WL & beyond sisters who do not PS, how are you wearing your hair daily? Do you notice daily breakage on the ends? When do you wash/DC? Protein treatments, if so how often? And most importantly, if you dont PS how long have you been at your current length?

Im going to try to lay off the wigs for the rest of the year but I dont want to be stuck at this length & show no signs of progress while doing so. ;)

lana

I learned so much in this thread!

I have a question for the WL & beyond ladies that relax - which relaxer do you use and do you use protein mid-step (before neutralizing)? - please tag me with your answer by using the @ before my name. Thank you!

The things I learned:

EVOO and EVCO are friends to my ends (USE THEM!)
Take a multi-vitamin, eat lots of veggies, drink water
PROTECTIVE style is a must (bun baby bun!)

I'm hovering over BSL and marking my spot. My dream would be waist length, but I know I can make MBL.