Spinoff: Ask a WSL and Beyond Lady

Lucia

lana

And if you can reach MBL you can reach WL but one goal at a time

Bumping for our relaxed ladies
Chime in please

bebezazueta

lana hi lady! Congrats on your progress so far. I'm like an inch away from WL so I'll chime in.

I relax with Mizani Butter Blends Lye Normal & yes I do the mid step protein before neutralizing. MBB has a normalizing conditioner that's part of the relaxer system. Then I neutralize with the shampoo 3 times. Hope this Helps!

spellinto

I experienced a huge knot that formed from a single strand knot. I had to cut it out. I've experienced breakage over the past year from letting my hair go too long without detangling. I've had quite a bit of shedding and I lost a lot of hair when I got it pressed at the salon recently. The breakage resulted in thinning ends. I'm "in recovery" now:grin: and have opted for more frequent trims and combing. Basically in an effort to keep the hair from getting matted.

Carrie A how often do you comb your hair now?

caliscurls

WSL and Beyond ladies:

Over the years have you found that deep conditioning weekly or every other week works best? Or has it mattered?

As your hair grows do you get a lot of lead hairs that look scraggly or no? Based on the info so far it sounds like if you are getting them you leave them alone (thinking about Chicoro's advice).

FoxxyLocs

WSL and Beyond ladies:

Over the years have you found that deep conditioning weekly or every other week works best? Or has it mattered?

As your hair grows do you get a lot of lead hairs that look scraggly or no? Based on the info so far it sounds like if you are getting them you leave them alone (thinking about Chicoro's advice).

How often to DC depends on what your hair needs. There was a time when my hair was really dry and I had to DC weekly and moisturize daily. Now, I DC twice a month and don't moisturize until my next wash.

I do get "lead hairs" when I'm between lengths, but it doesn't look the same as when hair is damaged. Basically if my ends are not split and don't feel rough, I don't cut them.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
WSL and Beyond ladies: Over the years have you found that deep conditioning weekly or every other week works best? Or has it mattered? As your hair grows do you get a lot of lead hairs that look scraggly or no? Based on the info so far it sounds like if you are getting them you leave them alone (thinking about Chicoro's advice).

When I first started paying more attention to my hair, I was deep conditioning weekly. Once my hair was in better condition and retaining moisture, I was able to wash/deep condition every 10-14 days.

I don't wear my hair straight often so it's hard to tell if I have lead hairs. I mostly roller set so most of my length is protected and masked by curls. I would suggest if you're not one to wear your hair straight and down often, then lead hairs can just be left alone.

Lucia

WSL and Beyond ladies:

caliscurls

It really depends on what my hair needs but I lean towards deep conditioning at least 2x a month whether my hair needs it or not, I also alternate a light protein DC in my rotation, but when the seasons change I DC weekly, I always moisturize daily cause that's what got me to WL.
I've learned to leave my lead hairs alone if I really want to get to the next length goal. Chasing blunt ends has done more damage than good, if I need a trim or S&D I do it but I don't cut massive length anymore cause uneven doesn't mean unhealthy. It's better to blunt once your goal is reached +2 inches (for the trim) then you'll have your goal length and blunt ends. HHG

caliscurls

when the seasons change I DC weekly, I always moisturize daily cause that's what got me to WL. I've learned to leave my lead hairs alone if I really want to get to the next length goal. Chasing blunt ends has done more damage than good, if I need a trim or S&D I do it but I don't cut massive length anymore cause uneven doesn't mean unhealthy. It's better to blunt once your goal is reached +2 inches (for the trim) then you'll have your goal length and blunt ends. HHG

Thank you and thanks to everyone that answered. I am finding that when the season changes my hair does in fact need extra attention but I didn't up the DCs until now.

Lead hairs drive me crazy, especially with my natural pronounced v in the back. I just need to learn to let them be.

krissyc39

Did any of you ladies ever have a problem with growing the back/middle section of your hair? That's the spot that wont grow right for me :(

Lucia

Did any of you ladies ever have a problem with growing the back/middle section of your hair? That's the spot that wont grow right for me :(

krissyc39

I've never had trouble in that spot but when you have a trouble spot it's either not enough moisture or too much manipulation whether it is rubbing against clothes too tight styles too tight bands not rotating bun sites slightly or poor detangling techniques. Check your wash day and night time routines how do you protect your hair at night ? do you moisturize daily? Is that spot just naturally drier than the ret of your hair ? So get more moisture in that area even if you use more product just for that spot and lock that moisture in with oil or butter unless you hate oils then use aloe vera gel and make sure you are extra careful with styles and detangling make sure your conditioner has tons of slip and take your time HHG

Last edited:

Mane Event

@caliscurls

It really depends on what my hair needs but I lean towards deep conditioning at least 2x a month whether my hair needs it or not, I also alternate a light protein DC in my rotation, but when the seasons change I DC weekly, I always moisturize daily cause that's what got me to WL.
I've learned to leave my lead hairs alone if I really want to get to the next length goal. Chasing blunt ends has done more damage than good, if I need a trim or S&D I do it but I don't cut massive length anymore cause uneven doesn't mean unhealthy. It's better to blunt once your goal is reached +2 inches (for the trim) then you'll have your goal length and blunt ends. HHG

Thank you and thanks to everyone that answered. I am finding that when the season changes my hair does in fact need extra attention but I didn't up the DCs until now.

Lead hairs drive me crazy, especially with my natural pronounced v in the back. I just need to learn to let them be.

I finally realizing this!!!! They drive me crazy as well and I became super self conscious about them when I had another BW (my boss at the time) say "Oh you're hair looks gorgeous...now you just need to cut those ends" :perplexed

I never wanted it to look like ihad struggle-length. :lol:, so for the past 6 years I've always had VERY blunt ends and haven't made it past bsl. A year or so ago i realized the stylist was always cutting to my shortest layer and I was losing about 4 in each cut :perplexed:

I cut (not trim) at least 2x year and I just need to stop!!!

ETA: When wearing your hair down, how are you all masking lead/uneven hair? rollersets? curls?

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

My hair is never really uneven, the lead hairs just aren't as full as the rest of my hair. As long as I have some curls or body and it's not just hanging straight down, you can't tell.

Lucia

I finally realizing this!!!! They drive me crazy as well and I became super self conscious about them when I had another BW (my boss at the time) say "Oh you're hair looks gorgeous...now you just need to cut those ends" :perplexed I never wanted it to look like ihad struggle-length. :lol:, so for the past 6 years I've always had VERY blunt ends and haven't made it past bsl. A year or so ago i realized the stylist was always cutting to my shortest layer and I was losing about 4 in each cut :perplexed: I cut (not trim) at least 2x year and I just need to stop!!! ETA: When wearing your hair down, how are you all masking lead/uneven hair? rollersets? curls?

@Mane Event

Stylists are trained to cut to the shortest layer to make things even they can't grasp the out he box concept of trimming just the longest layers or just an search and destroy snipping the minimum off the end a whatever length they're at. I can't do roller sets stylists can't do roller sets on my hair maybe I'll try again but my hair never dries. Trimming when you need to is fine as long as your not cutting of 6 inches of healthy hair just cause it's uneven you'll be fine. Focus on scalp care and retention that's the way to get max results I would have NEVER reached my goals going to a stylist. My lead hairs are usually in back middle I have a natural V shape so it's easy to mask ignore it. It looks like I have a slightly layered cut I wear my hair curly mostly ponytails and buns doesn't show up. Even straight but no matter how much I blunt cut it always grows back the same way so I like it now and not on a hurry for blunt ends until I hit ultimate goal. Full HL TL

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Lucia

Thanks for sharing your knowledge in this thread!

What's the difference between full moon dust/trimming vs. the Moroccan method?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Lucia

Lucia Thanks for sharing your knowledge in this thread! What's the difference between full moon dust/trimming vs. the Moroccan method? Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

MileHighDiva

Well they are pretty much the same idea following the moon cycles for different hair treatments. The Moroccan method is more detailed and complicated to follow but the full moon method is mostly used for trims cuts. There are some more detailed moon haircare calendars but I use the simplified version it just makes life easier. I don't have time for all those specifics of the Moroccan method.
HHG

Lucia

I started a new challenge called don't cut it challenge
Check it out and join or cheer us on.

#teamnoscissors

Janet'

:clap: There may be hope for me yet!!! I broke through the APL barrier earlier this year!!!!

:dance7: :dance7: :dance7:

Ha! Just saw this in my notifications because someone "liked" the post...Funny how things come back around...

When I posted this in 2010, I had just pushed through (a raggedy) APL...now, we meet again :spinning::spinning: It's good (at least for me) to see posts like this because it helps me to appreciate that
1. I've been here before, which means that my hair will grow if I keep to a simple regimen:armyhat: and
2. It douses me with a dose of reality--nothing happened overnight-- Even though I may want to fantasize how "easy" it was to grow my hair looking back-- It wasn't easy-- but it was do-able...and I shall do it again:toocool:

CurlyMoo

Ok so Im definitely WSL now but I have hair anorexia. Im going for the top of my jeans.
My favorite conditioner is V05 because I go thru a bottle in 2 "washes". I can't remember the last time I used shampoo. A few months ago maybe? I am 2 years post. The shortest my hair has ever been is nape length that was by choice. Before that it was BSL and I was annoyed with the length (the angst of youth). Thru all my hair abuse the shortest my hair ever got from abuse is shoulder length. I find that basic is best. I heat style maybe once a month. My go to style is a braid out that I redo on wednesdays and saturdays. If not its a wet bun or wet ponytail.
Did you reach your goal of top of jeans yet?

Leo24Rule

WL & beyond ladies:
1) what is your hair type?

I'm 3B/3C curly in between SL & AL but only WL straight.
2) Any curly haired girls WL curly? If not what length are you curly?

Lucia

Roll call where my WSL and beyond ladies at?

How's your hair doing what's your regimen?(give details please)

Stay tuned will post my updated "tweaked" regimen.

caliscurls

@Lucia
WSL checking in! I really like looking at my old posts (likes what's above) and seeing how far I've come. The lead hairs still drive me crazy though! :lachen:

For the past year I've kept my hair in loose twists 24/7 with a scalp treatment, wash, protein treatment and deep condition every week to 2 weeks. I also finger detangled exclusively.

More recently I've taken the loose twists out (just wanted a change) and have rocked a bun. My wash routine is about the same. What changes based on the season is the type of oil or butter I use. More oils and butters are used in the winter. It's also worth noting that getting to waist length was achieved primarily through:
- very low manipulation
- consistency in product usage
- keeping my hair stretched and my ends protected
- making sure the protein and moisture treatments are balanced

Edit: regarding moisturizing and sealing, outside of winter when my hair needs more attention at times, I only moisturize and seal every few days after wash day as opposed to daily. With the protein/moisture level being balanced I find I don't need to moisture and seal daily. In fact my hair does better without it.

HHJ!

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

1. If you get them: How do you deal with tangles, matting, SSK (single strand knots) dry hair, itchy scalp? My AVJ + coconut oil prepoo & seamless combs take care of tangles. I don't get matting. SSKs have been reduced by not wearing my hair in fros and puffs, and at longer lengths I've had to stop doing twists. Regular DCs and a daily leave in have helped with dryness. And washing once a week takes care of my scalp. I don't oil or grease it in between.

2. How often do you trim, dust or S&D the knots and SSK's only when you need? I normally dust every 3-4 months unless my ends need attention, but its rare to dust more often than that.

3. What are your staple products and how do you use them? CV shampoo bars, AVJ, mango butter, various oils, coconut milk. I prepoo, shampoo, and DC once a week.

4. Do you still do wash n go's, what products do you use to get your WnG look? No WNGs for me.

5. What's your straight/stretched length now front and back of hair? And what's you goal length or how long will you let your hair grow? I keep the front layered. I think the shortest layer is chin length and the longest is MBL. I'm WL in the back. I wouldn't go longer than classic.

6. Has your hair ever been this long before? My mom says my hair was past waist length as a child. I can't say for sure because I never cared much about the length. I just knew out was long and people always commented on it. As a teen/adult the longest I remember is MBL.

7. For naturals: What do you say to naturals who are getting discouraged and ready to give up on being natural and go back on the creamy crack (relaxers/perms/texturizers)? I love being natural and I've never really struggled with it, but I respect that everyones journey is different. I would encourage naturals to give it time because it can take a while to find the right regimen and products for your hair. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you.

I responded to this thread years ago, so I thought I'd give an update since it's been bumped.

1. If you get them: How do you deal with tangles, matting, SSK (single strand knots) dry hair, itchy scalp? My issues with tangling have decreased dramatically over the years. I shampoo, then DC for an hour, then comb with my jumbo rake under running water in the shower. It only takes maybe 10-15 min to detangle my whole head. I don't get very many SSKs either. I S&D each time I get my hair straightened, but I don't have a lot of SSKs or split ends. My scalp is generally in good shape. If I have to stretch my washes, I like to use a Q tip and some Sea Breeze on my scalp to keep it from flaking or itching.

2. How often do you trim, dust or S&D the knots and SSK's only when you need? same as before

3. What are your staple products and how do you use them? I use Elucence MB shampoo and Silk Dreams VS or Aubrey Organics to DC. I'm experimenting with a moisturizer, so I haven't found a staple yet. I only wash every 2-4 weeks now and I don't pre-poo anymore. I also don't bother with making my own concoctions anymore.

4. Do you still do wash n go's, what products do you use to get your WnG look? Still no

5. What's your straight/stretched length now front and back of hair? And what's you goal length or how long will you let your hair grow? I grew out the layers so it's basically the same length all over now (hip length). I definitely wouldn't go longer than classic, maybe not longer than tailbone. Over the past 5 years I've gone back and forth between waist and hip, but this is my first time being full hip length.

The answers to 6 and 7 haven't changed.

Lucia

I responded to this thread years ago, so I thought I'd give an update since it's been bumped.

1. If you get them: How do you deal with tangles, matting, SSK (single strand knots) dry hair, itchy scalp? My issues with tangling have decreased dramatically over the years. I shampoo, then DC for an hour, then comb with my jumbo rake under running water in the shower. It only takes maybe 10-15 min to detangle my whole head. I don't get very many SSKs either. I S&D each time I get my hair straightened, but I don't have a lot of SSKs or split ends. My scalp is generally in good shape. If I have to stretch my washes, I like to use a Q tip and some Sea Breeze on my scalp to keep it from flaking or itching.

2. How often do you trim, dust or S&D the knots and SSK's only when you need? same as before

3. What are your staple products and how do you use them? I use Elucence MB shampoo and Silk Dreams VS or Aubrey Organics to DC. I'm experimenting with a moisturizer, so I haven't found a staple yet. I only wash every 2-4 weeks now and I don't pre-poo anymore. I also don't bother with making my own concoctions anymore.

4. Do you still do wash n go's, what products do you use to get your WnG look? Still no

5. What's your straight/stretched length now front and back of hair? And what's you goal length or how long will you let your hair grow? I grew out the layers so it's basically the same length all over now (hip length). I definitely wouldn't go longer than classic, maybe not longer than tailbone. Over the past 5 years I've gone back and forth between waist and hip, but this is my first time being full hip length.

The answers to 6 and 7 haven't changed.

For number 3 response where are you finding Aubrey's even though they're going out of business and changed their formulas ?

Lucia

@Lucia
WSL checking in! I really like looking at my old posts (likes what's above) and seeing how far I've come. The lead hairs still drive me crazy though! :lachen:

For the past year I've kept my hair in loose twists 24/7 with a scalp treatment, wash, protein treatment and deep condition every week to 2 weeks. I also finger detangled exclusively.

More recently I've taken the loose twists out (just wanted a change) and have rocked a bun. My wash routine is about the same. What changes based on the season is the type of oil or butter I use. More oils and butters are used in the winter. It's also worth noting that getting to waist length was achieved primarily through:
- very low manipulation
- consistency in product usage
- keeping my hair stretched and my ends protected
- making sure the protein and moisture treatments are balanced

Edit: regarding moisturizing and sealing, outside of winter when my hair needs more attention at times, I only moisturize and seal every few days after wash day as opposed to daily. With the protein/moisture level being balanced I find I don't need to moisture and seal daily. In fact my hair does better without it.

HHJ!
Lead hairs, I have a lead section, waiting for the rest to catch up so hard. That's why I've upped my moisturizing products.