Spinoff: Falling Down in the Spirit

BeautifulFlower

My mother describe something similar to me. After readin the bible one night, you was in a sleep state but aware. She sound someone came and took her spirit and when she looked back she saw her body. She saw and felt everything. Then she heard someone say its not time and the 'person' returned her to her body. It was the only time it happened to her I think but she knows it was very real. My mom's friend recalled a similar experience but he was high (yes on weed) when it happened but he said it was very real. He was on the couch and he's spirit was in the corner looking at him. He says if anyone came at that time to check the body, he'd swear they'd pronounce him died. But to make a long story short, this happens to alot of people.

I am absent from my body. I know what it sounds like... but God speaks to me through visions audibly and/or through images. I go into a 'sleep state' and 'my spirit comes out from my body.' It just feels like a daydream I suppose... like I'm watching myself in 2 different places.

Casarela

ive seen YT folks fall on youtube only theres a well known texan church and there are several videos. Everybody's like jumping up and down ..and on the ground

Casarela

Ive always questioned myself ..I do know that sometimes I pray and start to cry, but its al in a private way. As a kid ,I was attentind this pentecostal church and there was always 2 haitian ladies doing this type of show together like jumping and I remember I would get home and mimic them. Than, I would mimic them and laugh... :( I received the baddest beat down. I never really had the guts to ask but im happy u did. Im not here to judge, but one of the reason why I always felt suspicious was because im clearly aware that in my fathers culture n country it happends frequently in certain type of ceremonies or rituals that are really far from anything that pertains to christianity and when the woman falls its because the ''bad spirit leaves them''

Aviah

Yeah, I don't believe that God makes us lose all control.:nono: I also hate, hate, hate(did I mention I hate it:lachen:) when Pastors try to push you down cause you didn't fall down on your own.:ohwell: I wonder how many ppl would fall down under the power of Holy Spirit if there was no one behind them to catch them.:look:

I've been very close to a guy this happened to. No one touched him, we were just worshipping and he fell. HARD. Scary at first but... I don't know

Renewed1

I have felt the power of the Lord Jesus Christ in such a tangible way that I was unable to stand. This has happened in church in the worship service, when I got prayed for, and this has happened to me in the privacy of my own home in prayer and worship where there was NO ONE ELSE THERE BUT ME (and GOD).

Consistently, it has felt one of two ways: this undescribable intense presence from the inside of me going out. I just begin to brace myself and kneel or lift my hands. Other times, it is a relieving feeling, the absence of pressure is the only way I can describe it.

True for me as well. During this time God will speak to me, He speaks to me in my dreams as well. Now, there are people who are professional fainters and runners. I use to know a few of them.

PaperClip

True for me as well. During this time God will speak to me, He speaks to me in my dreams as well. Now, there are people who are professional fainters and runners. I use to know a few of them.

LOL @ professional fainters/runners. I like the runners, though. Same principle applies: a runner in the Holy Spirit will not hurt themselves or anybody else and they won't run into a wall or a pew or a chair and so on and so forth. I've seen that....

Also, the Holy Spirit won't make you act all unseemly.... a discerning eye can tell the difference between a be-seen spirit and true dancing/shouting in the Holy Spirit.

PaperClip

But is it biblical?

Dancing, rejoicing, being overcome by the Holy Spirit is biblical. Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit. Could she stand under the power of the Holy Spirit? I daresay she could not stand.

Adam was put into a sleep by the Holy Spirit (Lord God Almighty).

And just like in those situations where that was done for a specific purpose, so it would seem for those who fall under the power of the Holy Spirit.

My humble way of making the connection.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Dancing, rejoicing, being overcome by the Holy Spirit is biblical. Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit. Could she stand under the power of the Holy Spirit? I daresay she could not stand.

Adam was put into a sleep by the Holy Spirit (Lord God Almighty).

And just like in those situations where that was done for a specific purpose, so it would seem for those who fall under the power of the Holy Spirit.

My humble way of making the connection.

From yours and another's accounting of experiences, I can certainly comprehend. And I'm glad there is discussion on the "fake runners and fall-outers" but I guess what I'm trying to distinguish here besides the latter is culture.

Obviously, there are European christians. There are christians all over the world of many races and ethnicities. They are not all coming under the H-ly Spirit in the same way as people of slave African descent, namely, West Africans. And among actual West Africans, I do not find this behavior among catholics and orthodox. I do and have worshipped in the past with people who maintain ancient liturgies, stemming from and nearly completely unchanged from 2,000 years ago of the original church...Africa. This behavior is not prevalent...basically non-existant...until you get to those who converted under the pentecostal movement. What I think I'm seeing is one way that G-d is interacting with a people according to their cultural comprehension...if that makes any sense.

I know you provided scripture about those coming under the H-ly Spirit and we all know David's dance lol... but from my experience with those Middle-eastern and African cultures, I'm not so sure they reacted the exact same way. Whichever the case, this is very unique to the African American experience and I think it traveled through influence into other churches of non-African people. It's quite unique.

But is it biblical?

:yep:
Here are the main verses from Scripture showing people falling to the ground whenever God would manifest His presence to different people. The first verse is from the Original King James Version of the Bible, the rest are from the New King James Version.

"... that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord; so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud; for the glory of the Lord had filled the house of God." (2 Chronicles 5:14)

Jesus said to them, "I am He." And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them. Then when He said to them. "I am He," - they drew back and fell to the ground." (John 18:6)

"And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last." (Revelation 1:17)

"And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid." But Jesus came and touched them and said, "Arise, and do not be afraid." (Matthew 17:6)

"And as he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" (Acts 9:3-4)

"So I arose and went out into the plain, and behold, the glory of the Lord stood there, like the glory which I saw by the River Chebar; and I fell on my face." (Ezekiel 3:23)

"Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the Angel of the Lord standing in the way with His drawn sword in His hand; and he bowed his head and fell flat on his face." (Numbers 22:31)

"And behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east. His voice was like the sound of many waters; and the earth shone with His glory. It was like the appearance of the vision which I saw - like the vision which I saw when I came to destroy the city. The visions were like the vision which I saw by the River Chebar; and I fell on my face." (Ezekiel 43:2-3)

"Then He brought me by way of the north gate to the front of the temple; so I looked, and behold, the glory of the Lord filled the house of the Lord; and I fell on my face." (Ezekiel 44:4)

When the presence of God is strong it can manifest in different ways, as the Spirit wills. Notice in the first scripture it says the priests 'could not stand' because of the presence (glory) of God in the house of God. You can be literally overwhelmed with the presence of God, I've seen and experienced this on many occasions. It doesn't matter if there is anyone there to catch you, a genuine 'slaying' experience will not harm you or anyone else, even if it's particularly dramatic, somehow you just won't be hurt. A discerning spirit is key to spotting fakes. :yep:

Last edited:

momi

Falling out laughing at the pro fainters...

For some reason I still think most of what goes on in the church is some type of manipulation, even though it has happened to me before. I am certain when God's power is truly manifested one would drop do the ground in awe or fear, but can't imagine it is happening Sunday after Sunday and conference after conference. IMHO most of it is "psychosocial manipulation" the music, the chant, the anticipation of the hand being laid on your forehead...

I believe when God's power truly falls something happens, folks should be healed, prophetic words should come forth (not about nobody's car or house either)... something.

Since my husband is in ministry I am often present during these type of activities and make it a point to stay out of the way! About 10 years ago he preached at this church and the pastor closed out the service with prayer. He kept trying to make eye contact with me and I just ignored him, he finally got someone to come and get me for prayer. I just stood there and determined to hold my ground. He prayed for me and I hit the floor! I scrambled to my feet immediately and he blew on me and I hit the floor again! I do believe I felt the power of God or anything it is just the anticipation... he said something vague like" whatever God has been telling you to do just do it!" I rolled my eyes and went to sit down. :perplexed

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

:yep:
When the presence of God is strong it can manifest in different ways, as the Spirit wills. Notice in the first scripture it says the priests 'could not stand' because of the presence (glory) of God in the house of God. You can be literally overwhelmed with the presence of God, I've seen and experienced this on many occasions. It doesn't matter if there is anyone there to catch you, a genuine 'slaying' experience will not harm you or anyone else, even if it's particularly dramatic, somehow you just won't be hurt. A discerning spirit is key to spotting fakes. :yep:

Thank you for the verses. I guess that, where some cannot eat and drink the Divine presence, the manifestation is different. That's pretty cool.