spinoff: high porosity hair

Smiley79

Thanks for the info. I've recently started back doing cold water rinses so I need to make sure that I continue to do so. I will make sure I keep layering my hair with heavier products too. I also need to remember to make sure my leave-ins are between pH 4 to 5 to close my cuticles. I need to go back to using the kimmaytube recipe because that use to help :yep:.

okay let me know how it turns out. just try the heavier products for a week to see if it makes a difference for you. my hair likes it.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
okay let me know how it turns out. just try the heavier products for a week to see if it makes a difference for you. my hair likes it.
@Smiley79 how are you layering your products? How much product are you using per item? Like dime size, quarter, etc. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to do. Are you applying it to wet, damp, or dry hair? How do you add moisture in between washes?

Smiley79

@Smiley79 how are you layering your products? How much product are you using per item? Like dime size, quarter, etc. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to do. Are you applying it to wet, damp, or dry hair? How do you add moisture in between washes?

I'm still stuck on that step. I haven't nailed a layering process that gives me consistent results. part of that is my fault because I seem to do it a different way everyday, lol, especially when I'm in a hurry. I'm going to experiment with the LOC vs LCO method and give each a week so I can compare. if I don't like either one, I will create my own method.

since I choose to use heavier products now, I try not get heavy handed. dime size per section to start. especially when it comes to oils because I have very sensitive scalp.

I no longer moisturize my hair while it's wet. it absorbs moisture better when damp or close to air dried. also my hair is in a stronger state when it's not soaking wet, so I experience less breakage and snapping.

HTH, best advice that I can give is to do several experiments to see what works best for your hair and post it on the board for quick reference. I need to start doing that for my layering steps so I can have a record to go back and see what worked best.

Last edited:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I'm still stuck on that step. I haven't nailed a layering process that gives me consistent results. part of that is my fault because I seem to do it a different way everyday, lol, especially when I'm in a hurry. I'm going to experiment with the LOC vs LCO method and give each a week so I can compare. if I don't like either one, I will create my own method.

since I choose to use heavier products now, I try not get heavy handed. dime size per section to start. especially when it comes to oils because I have very sensitive scalp.

I no longer moisturize my hair while it's wet. it absorbs moisture better when damp or close to air dried. also my hair is in a stronger state when it's not soaking wet, so I experience less breakage and snapping.

HTH, best advice that I can give is to do several experiments to see what works best for your hair and post it on the board for quick reference. I need to start doing that for my layering steps so I can have a record to go back and see what worked best.
@Smiley79 thanks for responding. Yea I too have some experimenting to do :yep:. I'll try a few things out soon. I'm glad that you are keeping this thread alive :supergrin:.

BonBon

I use diluted ACV and aloe in my spray bottle to detangle before the coconut oil. Its made a HUGE difference and cut a lot of time out of wash day.

Smiley79

I use diluted ACV and aloe in my spray bottle to detangle before the coconut oil. Its made a HUGE difference and cut a lot of time out of wash day.

do you only do this on wash day to detangle or do you use this daily?

SheWalks

Started back pre pooing. I didn't believe in doing it before because I never understood the point of using a deep conditioner before you shampoo. But I found some research that coconut oil actually does stop your hair from swelling when washing. So friday nights I throw coconut oil all over my hair and sleep with just my bonnet. Then wash day is Saturday morning. I will just be using coconut oil, unless I find a reason to use anything else.

Smiley79

Note to self: This product combination worked very well:
  • Sprayed my hair with NaturelleGrow Moisture Boost
  • Applied SM Raw Shea Restorative conditioner
  • Applied JBCO
(I would like to find an on the ground alternative to the NG Moisture Boost or a DIY recipe that works just as well, incase I ever run out of the spray.)

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
@Smiley79 it's interesting that your hair likes the NG moisture boost since it has glycerin in it. Whenever I use products with glycerin in it, my hair turns into cotton candy in less than an hour :lol:. Even if I layer it over heavier products the glycerin still sucks moisture from the air. However, I'm glad that you can use glycerin based products without any issues :yep:. Btw your hair looks really nice from the post that I've seen :gorgeous:.

Smiley79

@Smiley79 it's interesting that your hair likes the NG moisture boost since it has glycerin in it. Whenever I use products with glycerin in it, my hair turns into cotton candy in less than an hour :lol:. Even if I layer it over heavier products the glycerin still sucks moisture from the air. However, I'm glad that you can use glycerin based products without any issues :yep:. Btw your hair looks really nice from the post that I've seen :gorgeous:.

Awww thank youuuuu for the compliment @tashboog .:blush2: It's funny you mention that because I too was on the fence about using glycerin based products on my hair due to no-so-great experiences in the past. For example, S-curl activator spray was a No-No for me. My hair had that exact cotton candy feel that you mention!:lachen: I was not a fan, smh. So that's why I ordered the sample size from NG to see how my hair would respond to it. Surprisingly, I had no issues whatsoever. I don't know a whole lot about ingredients, but I don't think NG went overboard in their use of glycerin in the Moisture Boost spray, which is a good thing. The spray left my hair soft without that cotton-candy, sticky, limp feeling that S-curl for example left me with. Thank goodness for sample sizes to test out products.

Aside from that spray I would love to try a DIY recipe using Aloe vera to see how my hair responds to it. I see so many recipes between AV juice and gel,:spinning:o_O I get confused and just don't bother making it. But I really need to give it a try one of these days so see if this is a good moisturizer for me.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Awww thank youuuuu for the compliment @tashboog .:blush2: It's funny you mention that because I too was on the fence about using glycerin based products on my hair due to no-so-great experiences in the past. For example, S-curl activator spray was a No-No for me. My hair had that exact cotton candy feel that you mention!:lachen: I was not a fan, smh. So that's why I ordered the sample size from NG to see how my hair would respond to it. Surprisingly, I had no issues whatsoever. I don't know a whole lot about ingredients, but I don't think NG went overboard in their use of glycerin in the Moisture Boost spray, which is a good thing. The spray left my hair soft without that cotton-candy, sticky, limp feeling that S-curl for example left me with. Thank goodness for sample sizes to test out products.

Aside from that spray I would love to try a DIY recipe using Aloe vera to see how my hair responds to it. I see so many recipes between AV juice and gel,:spinning:o_O I get confused and just don't bother making it. But I really need to give it a try one of these days so see if this is a good moisturizer for me.
I may have to buy a sample of the moisture boost. I do like her deep conditioners so it may be worth a try. You can first just try AVJ or AVG and water in a spray bottle as a basic spray. I usually do a 1:1 ratio. Then if your hair likes it then you can add other ingredients like glycerin, honey, and essential oils. Currently, I'm just using distilled water with peppermint and lavender essential oils. I do know that aloe vera can make some people hair air dry hard. It makes my hair hard so I only use it in a creamy conditioner and not in my spray bottle. I prefer distilled water then a creamy leave-in with a low pH to help close my cuticles. So try the basic aloe vera and water spray and see how your hair likes it. If it does then it might be a good replacement for the moisture boost.

Smiley79

I may have to buy a sample of the moisture boost. I do like her deep conditioners so it may be worth a try. You can first just try AVJ or AVG and water in a spray bottle as a basic spray. I usually do a 1:1 ratio. Then if your hair likes it then you can add other ingredients like glycerin, honey, and essential oils. Currently, I'm just using distilled water with peppermint and lavender essential oils. I do know that aloe vera can make some people hair air dry hard. It makes my hair hard so I only use it in a creamy conditioner and not in my spray bottle. I prefer distilled water then a creamy leave-in with a low pH to help close my cuticles. So try the basic aloe vera and water spray and see how your hair likes it. If it does then it might be a good replacement for the moisture boost.

thanks for the recipe! do you notice a difference between the gel vs the juice? I hope it doesn't make my hair hard.

angelmilk

Describe your hair? (fine/med/thick strands? Dense? Not very dense? Relaxed, natural, texturized, texlaxed? etc and so on)
Fine/medium strands but high density. Relaxed
what are your hair's indicators of high porosity?
High porosity ever since I relaxed. Hair now soaks up water, but the moisture leaves just as quickly. I now have to moisturize and seal daily.
what methods/products have you tried that really work for your hair?
PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN switching from Shea butter (when I was natural) to protein packed coconut oil really helped. I protein deep condition much more often. I use HairMayo (Africa's Best not ORS because ORS is more protein heavy. Too much protein is bad too) every week as my DC. And Aphogee 2min monthly. My nightly moisturizing keeps my hair in balance with all this protein.
what have you tried that did NOT work for your hair/what do you avoid?
Skimping on the protein and not moisturizing every single night is a NO-GO
how has having high porosity hair affected your hair care & growth journey?
I'm definitely more aware of my protein/moisture balance. I'm generally less lazy with my hair. Also I protective style more. (but that's because I'm obsessed with having healthy ends.)

charmtreese

I'm not saying that Shea Moisture's High Porosity Line has changed my life, but ummm, it's pretty darn close to a life changing happenstance!:look: I use the shampoo, mask, oil and gel, and my moisture retention has been on point!!!!!! But, then again it's been raining the last two-three weeks so it could be the weather. I'm going to ride it out with SMHP for the next few months to see if this is a coincidence or not.

Smiley79

I'm not saying that Shea Moisture's High Porosity Line has changed my life, but ummm, it's pretty darn close to a life changing happenstance!:look: I use the shampoo, mask, oil and gel, and my moisture retention has been on point!!!!!! But, then again it's been raining the last two-three weeks so it could be the weather. I'm going to ride it out with SMHP for the next few months to see if this is a coincidence or not.

That line is the best thing ever!!!! Excellent product. I have the masque and the poo. The masque left my hair feeling different in a good way. SM nailed it with that one and the Manuka Honey.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
thanks for the recipe! do you notice a difference between the gel vs the juice? I hope it doesn't make my hair hard.
If you buy the Lily of the Dessert brand they are pretty much the same. The gel is a little chunkier and gives you a slight hold. I prefer the juice when I do use aloe vera.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Well I think I may have found a product that my hair likes. So far it's a win on my loose twist, but the real test will be how well it performs with my out styles. The product I'm talking about is Oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade. I pulled it out from way back of my closest. It's the original original one :laugh:. I was testing out some butters and decided to try it on my shed hairs.

So here is a pretty neat test that I've found from watching a hi po youtuber. You take some shed hair but make sure it's clean. I shampoo mine just to make sure. Then you dry it off and place it in room temperature water. If you're hi po it's going to sink pretty fast like mine did! :lol: Next you dry it off add a leave in then place it in the water again to see if it sinks. If it still sinks add another layer to see if you can get it to float. My hair floated with the burnt sugar pomade which means my hair was sealed properly. So for the last few days I've been sealing with it after my leave in on my twists and my hair isn't swelling. So to all my hi po gals try testing your shed hairs with your products to see what combo will make your hair float. It will save you a lot of time for your leave in step :yep:.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Now I need to revisit Oyin's hair dew since some of the hi po ladies liked it as well. I didn't initially like it but it may work well together with the burnt sugar pomade. I will have to do a water test on this combo too :yep:.

Smiley79

Well I think I may have found a product that my hair likes. So far it's a win on my loose twist, but the real test will be how well it performs with my out styles. The product I'm talking about is Oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade. I pulled it out from way back of my closest. It's the original original one :laugh:. I was testing out some butters and decided to try it on my shed hairs.

So here is a pretty neat test that I've found from watching a hi po youtuber. You take some shed hair but make sure it's clean. I shampoo mine just to make sure. Then you dry it off and place it in room temperature water. If you're hi po it's going to sink pretty fast like mine did! :lol: Next you dry it off add a leave in then place it in the water again to see if it sinks. If it still sinks add another layer to see if you can get it to float. My hair floated with the burnt sugar pomade which means my hair was sealed properly. So for the last few days I've been sealing with it after my leave in on my twists and my hair isn't swelling. So to all my hi po gals try testing your shed hairs with your products to see what combo will make your hair float. It will save you a lot of time for your leave in step :yep:.

I havent' tried it yet. I love the Hair Dew. I will add that on my test list for the future. and thx for that strand test tip with the products.

Last edited:

Smiley79

@Smiley79 what do you layer the hair dew with? Butter or gel? Do you apply it to wet, damp, or dry hair? How do you apply it on wash days?

ummm, good question because i have absolutely no consistent layering method for it. but more important, i typically use the Hair Dew as a refresher. its what keeps my hair refreshed between wash sessions.
so i may do the following:
-mist my hair with water or NG Moisture boost spray
-apply Hair Dew

because of the scent i treat hair dew like a perfume for my hair, so i love to use it in the day time.lol.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
@Smiley79 I did something different with the SM hi po deep conditioner. I used it as a leave in and it worked really well. Also a new trick I found on youtube is to seal the hair with pure aloe vera juice after applying your leave in. So instead of doing the LOC method try LAOC=Leave in/ Aloe vera juice/ Oil / Cream. For the first time I had moisture and good curl definition with no frizz.

The youtuber also did a test of apple cider vinegar vs aloe vera juice. The aloe vera juice passed for sealing the hair, but the apple cider vinegar failed. The aloe vera juice didn't leave my hair crunchy since it was layered with an oil and a styler. So you might want to try this method plus the hi po youtuber seems to get good hair days with this method and so did I :yep:.

I still haven't ordered the Oyin hair dew but I'm planning on ordering some this week along with the burnt sugar pomade cuz I'm liking the results as a sealer after all my layering plus my hair smells like cookies :lol:.