spinoff: high porosity hair

Smiley79

@Smiley79 I did something different with the SM hi po deep conditioner. I used it as a leave in and it worked really well. Also a new trick I found on youtube is to seal the hair with pure aloe vera juice after applying your leave in. So instead of doing the LOC method try LAOC=Leave in/ Aloe vera juice/ Oil / Cream. For the first time I had moisture and good curl definition with no frizz.

The youtuber also did a test of apple cider vinegar vs aloe vera juice. The aloe vera juice passed for sealing the hair, but the apple cider vinegar failed. The aloe vera juice didn't leave my hair crunchy since it was layered with an oil and a styler. So you might want to try this method plus the hi po youtuber seems to get good hair days with this method and so did I :yep:.

I still haven't ordered the Oyin hair dew but I'm planning on ordering some this week along with the burnt sugar pomade cuz I'm liking the results as a sealer after all my layering plus my hair smells like cookies :lol:.

Hey @tashboog Thanks for sharing that method. I will keep that in mind to try! As I mentioned before, I would love to incorporate Aloe vera into my regimen so I can see how my hair responds. now you've given me a starting point to use it. :)

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Did you order the sample size that way you can try it first?
@Smiley79 no I bought the 8 oz. I've purchased the sample size before but my hair didn't like it back then. I'm hoping it was the way that I applied the product that caused me to not get good results. I was applying it to wet hair and my hair didn't like it. Now that I know I'm hi po, I now know that I have to remove as much water as possible to get any product to work. Therefore, I'm hoping to have better results this time around :yep:.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hey @tashboog Thanks for sharing that method. I will keep that in mind to try! As I mentioned before, I would love to incorporate Aloe vera into my regimen so I can see how my hair responds. now you've given me a starting point to use it. :)
You need to just try the aloe vera juice. Try with the LAOC first or you can spray it on a small section of hair and twist it up then see how your hair feels once it dries. If it's crunchy then you will need to layer the aloe vera juice. You could also try the kimmaytube leave-in recipe since it uses 2 tbs of aloe vera juice as well.

Smiley79

@Smiley79 no I bought the 8 oz. I've purchased the sample size before but my hair didn't like it back then. I'm hoping it was the way that I applied the product that caused me to not get good results. I was applying it to wet hair and my hair didn't like it. Now that I know I'm hi po, I now know that I have to remove as much water as possible to get any product to work. Therefore, I'm hoping to have better results this time around :yep:.

Exactly! Hair Dew never worked for me on wet hair either. But I use it on almost dry hair but preferably on dry hair. I don't really apply any products on wet hair anymore. (Only Aphogee Keratin Green Tea spray as a protein leave in when my hair needs some strength) Other than that I leave my hair in a t-shirt turban until my hair is slightly damp and then I proceed with my moisture regi. Best thing ever.

Smiley79

You need to just try the aloe vera juice. Try with the LAOC first or you can spray it on a small section of hair and twist it up then see how your hair feels once it dries. If it's crunchy then you will need to layer the aloe vera juice. You could also try the kimmaytube leave-in recipe since it uses 2 tbs of aloe vera juice as well.

Btw, did I tell you that I finally tried the Claudies Normalizing! I don't want to speak to soon since I only used it once, but I really like how my hair felt afterwards. I even sent her an email thanking her, lol. It left my hair strong and soft at the same time. But I want to keep trying it for a month or so before I give my final verdict. I only had a sample so I will need to place an order for a full bottle.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Btw, did I tell you that I finally tried the Claudies Normalizing! I don't want to speak to soon since I only used it once, but I really like how my hair felt afterwards. I even sent her an email thanking her, lol. It left my hair strong and soft at the same time. But I want to keep trying it for a month or so before I give my final verdict. I only had a sample so I will need to place an order for a full bottle.
@Smiley79 I'm so glad you liked it :yay:! I bought a 16 oz jar a few weeks ago. Send me a PM when your ready to order cuz she gave me 10% discount code for my next purchase. I think we both should be able to use it.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
@kodochax I've tried it before years back, but it must not have left me with a good impression. My hair is a little different now so I hope it works better this time around :yep:.
Ok so I've picked up my Oyin products from target this weekend. I tried the hair dew and this time I applied it to damp almost dry hair. My hair did well with it and it smell like cookies :lol:. I did layer it using the LAOC method. My hair looks good and it's holding its style. I did an updo bantu knot out and it didn't swell this time around. Finally I'm making some progress with my hair :supergrin:.

Smiley79

Ok so I've picked up my Oyin products from target this weekend. I tried the hair dew and this time I applied it to damp almost dry hair. My hair did well with it and it smell like cookies :lol:. I did layer it using the LAOC method. My hair looks good and it's holding its style. I did an updo bantu knot out and it didn't swell this time around. Finally I'm making some progress with my hair :supergrin:.

Awesome! Glad you like it. I use it on dry hair and have better results with it that way. Like you, it didn't work on my wet hair. And yes the scent is divine!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
@tashboog How is the Oyin Hair dew coming along for you?
@Smiley79 I like it but this humid weather is killing all of my styles :lol:. Even with all of the layering that I'm doing isn't enough to keep the humidity out of my hair. I think I'm going to install puffy twist for the summer because I really don't want to fool with my hair if it continues to be this hot :wallbash:.

Smiley79

@Smiley79 I like it but this humid weather is killing all of my styles :lol:. Even with all of the layering that I'm doing isn't enough to keep the humidity out of my hair. I think I'm going to install puffy twist for the summer because I really don't want to fool with my hair if it continues to be this hot :wallbash:.

I hear you. I have given up on twist outs. I do have success with perm rods sometimes but for the most part I stick to Roll-and-tuck hairstyles during this hot season. I too cannot be bothered, lol.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Check the vendor forum there is a better discount there.
@kodochax I went to the vendor forum before I made my last purchase and none of the codes worked. I think her store was down cuz after I made my order she sent me an email apologizing for the delay. Hopefully the codes from the vendor forum works now, but I think they were codes from 2015 so none of them worked.

SheWalks

@kodochax I went to the vendor forum before I made my last purchase and none of the codes worked. I think her store was down cuz after I made my order she sent me an email apologizing for the delay. Hopefully the codes from the vendor forum works now, but I think they were codes from 2015 so none of them worked.

Yeah I just tried seems it's done now it worked a little while before memorial day. Maybe she'll bring it back.

NatrulyMe

Describe your hair? (fine/med/thick strands? Dense? Not very dense? Relaxed, natural, texturized, texlaxed? etc and so on)
I think my hair is 3c/4a, medium strands, medium density, coarse, spongy and natural
what are your hair's indicators of high porosity?
My hair absorbs water or moisture, but unable to retain it, tends to be frizzy and tangle easily as well as feels and looks dry
what methods/products have you tried that really work for your hair?
Deep conditioning, ACV rinse, Coconut water and Aloe vera juice or gel (spritz)
what have you tried that did NOT work for your hair/what do you avoid?
My hair hates Eco styler gel & Beautiful Textures Curl Defining Custard (although I still have it in my stash). Both products makes my hair crunchy and or too stiff (even when scrunching to break the cast). These products dries my hair out. Also, my hair does not like oil rinsing. Yet, it loves water based natural products.
how has having high porosity hair affected your hair care & growth journey?
Learning and knowing what products, techniques and procedures to take can be overwhelming, but I am acknowledging what must be done for healthy hair. Taking it one day at a time--baby steps.

Last edited:

beautyaddict1913

Describe your hair? (fine/med/thick strands? Dense? Not very dense? Relaxed, natural, texturized, texlaxed? etc and so on)
Natural, dense, fine strands

what are your hair's indicators of high porosity?
Easily absorbs moisture, the slightest bit of humidity or moisture and it frizzes beyond recognition, moisture does not last for several days. Difficult to get the right protein/moisture balance

what methods/products have you tried that really work for your hair?
Regular use of protein and strengtheners like henna works well. My hair can get over moisturized easily so I have to monitor the balance carefully. Steam is amazing on my hair. Water filters are essential because hard water build up is real!!

what have you tried that did NOT work for your hair/what do you avoid?
Regular use of the baggy method lead to over moisturized hair for me. Eco styler gel isn't for me.

how has having high porosity hair affected your hair care & growth journey?
I have to work extra hard for moisture/protein balance and to keep my ends moisturized and to keep my hair moisturized in general.

Sosa

Maaan henna does my hair SO good to lower the porosity. I hennaed Saturday but my SO claims he can smell it in my hair on Sunday and he doesn't like it.
But baybee, the way my hair was sleek and stuff, I'd choose henna over him if it came down to it. Heoenoit :look:

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Lol, went back and read my post from 5 years ago. I don't use the Roux line anymore or aloe vera juice. My hair isnt quite as porous as it was back then. I figured out my hair hates anything witb glycerin in it. I mostly only use distilled water and oil as a leave but Kinky Curly Knot Today and Mielle Organics White Peony work very well for me in terms of retaining moisture.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Is Seasame seed oil just pure magic for anyone else? Silkier hair instantly.

You know what? I recently bought an ayurvedic oil that was coconut based and I noticed that it made my hair really sleek and extra shiny. I re-read the ingredients and realized its 30% sesame oil... I think thats the difference :yep:

Maguerite

Well I think I may have found a product that my hair likes. So far it's a win on my loose twist, but the real test will be how well it performs with my out styles. The product I'm talking about is Oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade. I pulled it out from way back of my closest. It's the original original one :laugh:. I was testing out some butters and decided to try it on my shed hairs.

So here is a pretty neat test that I've found from watching a hi po youtuber. You take some shed hair but make sure it's clean. I shampoo mine just to make sure. Then you dry it off and place it in room temperature water. If you're hi po it's going to sink pretty fast like mine did! :lol: Next you dry it off add a leave in then place it in the water again to see if it sinks. If it still sinks add another layer to see if you can get it to float. My hair floated with the burnt sugar pomade which means my hair was sealed properly. So for the last few days I've been sealing with it after my leave in on my twists and my hair isn't swelling. So to all my hi po gals try testing your shed hairs with your products to see what combo will make your hair float. It will save you a lot of time for your leave in step :yep:.
Such a great tip!!