Spinoff: Naturals and Relaxed- How Do You Wear Your Hair Most Days?

How Do You Wear Your Hair Most Days?

• Out (I Use Heat Every Day or Most Days)

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Protective Style (Wig, Weave, Braids,Twists, Etc.)

Votes: 129 50.8%
  • Low Manipulation Style (Braid-out, Twist-Out, Wash N Go, Etc.)

Votes: 134 52.8%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 15 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janet'

Hi Ladies,

This thread is a spin-off from a couple of threads: Hide Your Hair and No-Heat...I am interested in hearing from both relaxed and natural ladies. The other part of the question is why? I'll start...

I normally wear my hair in a low-manipulation style (Wash n Go in the Spring, Summer and Rollersets in the Fall and Winter)

I do this for length retention-I'm on a mission, baby!!!:yep:

So, what about you and why?

winona

I use heat and steam for deep treatments but I do not rollerset or flat iron (mainly because I SUCK LMBO)

I normally cornrow the front and put the back into a twisted bun or twist out bun. Less tension on my edges

I keep trying to do twists but I am not comfortable with the way my hair looks in them to wear as a style yet. When I do twists they normally go into a bun too.

I am in the military (Army) so that probably has something to do with how comfortable I am with certain styles. The officer corps isnt as progressive as I'd like:)

TruMe

Flat two-strand twist-outs and strawler sets. I alternate between these two every week, haven't really figured out any other styles yet. I'm just trying to retain length and grow at the same time.

Janet'

Flat two-strand twist-outs and strawler sets. I alternate between these two every week, haven't really figured out any other styles yet. I'm just trying to retain length and grow at the same time.

What style is that?

discodumpling

Most days i'm in twists...sometimes I switch up and bun for a week or so but I always come back to twists. For special occasions I might put forth a little effort and wear some sort of out (twist or braid) BUT I secure my hair immediately after the event and lately i'll just pin my twists into an updo A. cause i'm lazy & B. because i'd like for folks to see the beauty of my natural unfussy hair!

NaturalPath

You will find me Washing and going 98.98765% of the time in the spring and summer

ETA: I do this because I love the way this style looks. Twist outs and braid out do not give me the fullness I desire. With the wash n go it creates volume, and it is very easy to do and does not take that much time.

Winter you will find me hiding my hair in beret caps majority of the time.

ETA: I do this because unlike the hotter seasons when I can just wash my hair and airdry, it is much too cold to do this. This is also usually the season I get lazy and just feel like throwing on a beret as I go about my business.

Last edited:
I am transitioning to natural. I wear my hair in both protective styles (e.g. buns) and low manipulation styles (e.g. ponytails, braid outs). Since I'm early in my transition, I think I will use heat once a month or less via roller sets.

Missjae09

I mainly wear twist outs, braid outs, and flat twist sets. I too am on a mission to grow my hair out and it's too short for much else. lol

Janet'

Ladies, don't forget to tell me why...As I'm reading many of your siggys, I see that you are transitioning, so I take it these styles are to help aid the process?

Uber

always in a bun.....always always always, whatever the weather no matter the occasion this hair of mine is in a bun....yawn
Reason is because it suits me and because I want a weave and cannot justify the expediture. Also my hair is not at the length where I can be bothered fussing over straightening it. If i had a relaxer i might have it out at my current length

oh an I am not so keen on afros, on me anyway

Last edited:

shtow

I wear my hair like this 90 percent of the time:

The other ten percent it is flexi rod on flat ironed hair. (tutorial: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=471894&highlight= )

I wear my hair like this because it is so fast and easy! All I do every night is throw it in an invisible roller (put my hair in a very loose pony and roll the hair up, secured with 2 clips). In the morning I take the invisible roller out and I am out the door in 3 seconds. It's also better than wrapping because I am not stuck with the permanent side part, this way I can part my hair any way I want and it is straight with body.

I am relaxed btw

-PYT

Ladies, don't forget to tell me why...As I'm reading many of your siggys, I see that you are transitioning, so I take it these styles are to help aid the process?

I'll go a lil more in depth :) When relaxed, I would wear spiral rollersets for about a week at a time and the non-combing for extended periods of time got me a lot of growth over one summer so I think having the same mindset now could help as a natural head, too.

chasturner84

I'm relaxed and focusing on retention so I normally wear my hair in buns or a low mani style that I can get away with doing nothing to for days. I'm currently looking for a wig to wear all fall and winter solely for rentention.

bellesocialite

Low manipulation styles (Braid-out & Wash N Go) in the summer and wigs any other time.

ETA: I like my wigs big and/or long so I don't want to wear them in the summer. Plus, I've been missing my hair so I wanted to have my hair out this summer. Since I'm co-washing more, I like to do styles like braidouts and WNGs. No rollersets because that's too much manipulation. I'm relaxed BTW.

Last edited:

You got it. Also, they help mend the two textures, so that they aren't so obvious. Furthermore, the styles help me alleviate my "hand in hair" disease.

Quailbird

My hair is pretty much either braided or twisted 90% of the time since I've been on my HHJ. I don't wear it free very often in braid outs or twist outs because I find myself only being able to wear them once before I have to redo the whole process which makes it not so low manipulative for me. Besides that, I don't care to do a whole lot to my hair hair and with braids and twists I can try different styles without having to detangle and all that.

Qtee

I wear my hairs in wash n go's 100% of the time in spring and summer..In the fall and winter I plan to wear rollersets..I like lo-manipulation and lo-heat styles..

ParagonTresses

I wear wash and goes in the warmer months b/c I love the way they look on me and the fact that I now have enough hair to actually style it if I want. Last winter was my first cold season natural and I wore twists, mainly b/c I was practicing my technique.

Victorian

old head
Natural but straightened. I pretty much always wear my hair in a ponytail, bun, or loose with a headband. No reason except they require zero effort or time, and I think they are cute.

chocolate01

I'm natural my hair is straight all most all the time. During the day I wear it in a bun because it gets caught on my chair at work and snaps if I don't. Weekends I wear it down sometimes I put a few rollers in at night and wear it curly the next day.

Captain Obvious

Since I texlaxed I have been wearing wash-n-go's, but when I was natural I would mainly just wear my hair straight...I am actually happier with the WNG because I don't have to put heat in my hair at all and it is especially nice in the hot weather.

I'm also very lazy when it comes to styling, so the less manipulation the better.:yep:

skegeesmb

I wear my hair in a ponytail. I just wash it and put it up. I can usually do this for 3 days before I have to wash my hair again. It's pretty easy to do and I finally have enough hair to keep it off my face.