* Spinoff * Naturals: The "ugly" phase...how did you get through?

Renewed1

I'm wearing wigs now. But tonight I'm going to either braid/twist my hair so I can do twistouts.

KBragg, either way it goes, now is a good time to experiment with your hair. Go on youtube and copy and modify the styles.

kbragg

Ok DH has hid the scissors:rofl: so it looks like I'll be avoiding the awkward phase after all:lol: Still figuring this transitioning thing out though. For new I just pin my ends up in the back creating a kind of poofy loose bun. DH says it's cute so we'll see....

NaturalRed

Hmmmm....I guess "ugly" is up for interpretation. My ugly phase had nothing to do with length. It was during my transition before I BC'd. Ugly to me was having two textures of hair with one thinning do to relaxer damage. I left "ugly" behind when I BC'd after a year of wearing braids.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
Not so much an ugly phase but more Im learning and I don't know what to do with my hair so i wear wigs alot and weaves. I would do braids but i realized as I got older I can't sit in the chair for like 6 hours to get my hair braided i ran out of patience when i hit 30 :grin:

Sianna

My hair has been short all my life so I don't consider my current length, (about 3") to be the "ugly" stage. This is pretty much normal for me. My only challenge has been learning new styles that will work with my natural texture.

I have been wearing mostly WNGs and afro puffs, but recently I added flat twists and finger coils to my styling rotation. I have basically sworn off weaves, wigs and extensions of any kind, so I'm working with what I have and experimenting with my hair. Most of the time it doesn't turn out the way I want it to, but I don't mind. It's just practice after all. I am really enjoying my own hair for a change! It's quite refreshing! :)

SlimJam, I really enjoyed your comment! Just wanted to mention that. I didn't transition either so I understand how it is to watch as your hair grows out from a very short length.

Oh, and I don't know what you ladies consider the "awkward" stage as far as actual length, but by the time my hair reaches SL, I definitely won't consider that an awkward stage! You betta know I'll be able to find something to do with it! :yep::grin::yep:

Truth

just rocked out ugly!! lol nah.. combination of braids,sengalese, and kinky twist.. and half wigs got me thru the ugh-mug phase

glamazon386

I know you don't like fake hair and I really don't either BUT I broke down and bought a fake bun. It's tiny and it has a braided look to it. I pull my hair back in one of those and tie a cute scarf around the base and people don't even know. I even made my fiance think really hard before he figured it out. He said "Babe, I know you said your hair hair is long enough now to pull into a tiny ponytail so it didn't even register that it wasn't real!" I don't think people pay attention to our hair as much as we do, LOL!

I add hair to my buns most of the time. I like a full bun. :yep:

ConstantlyDynamic

i had braids during the whole time that i "transitioned" which was for almost 2 years (i put it in quotes because i had cut off my relaxed ends at some point during that time-it's just that i was in school and didn't want to deal with my hair). my hair was SL when stretched after i took out the braids so i just did rollersets to achieve a big curly afro which i'd pull back a bit with a headband.so yeah i guess i dealt with it by stretching to make it as big as i wanted

curlupndye

I'm in that ugly phase and when I feel super *****, I make sure my make up, eyebrows, and such, looke perfect. I've also been trying to accessorize with big earrings, adorable head bands and big beautiful barettes. Good Luck!:rolleyes:

Mdmommy99

I always call that in between length an ugly phase for me because I don't think it compliments my face. I wore a lot of head bands, head wraps and twist outs. Coils and coil outs looked good also at that length.

e.lauren

I think I'm in this stage right now. My hair is just barely shoulder length and the front on the left side is not as curly as the rest of my hair so everything looks a little weird. My wash n gos are good because of the shrinkage but then sometimes half of my curls will hang and the other half won't its so frustrating

And when my hair is straight (not often) I wasnt my hair really soon after making me feel like i used heat for no reason but I hate my hair straight right now because it's long enough that the end will rub against my shirt collars and get stressed but its too long to surpass the collar and avoid too much damage. Ugh .. The in-between phase

Boujoichic

Im going through the stage now and Im dealing with it with a weave. Love my installs also love my natural hair but Im at an awkward length I have a curly mullet going on my back is longer than my front and also my front is 4a the back is mostly 3c the back curl is looser and hangs longer. Also Im in the weave it up challenge so I will be in installs till december (hope I can make it) even though I may be tempted once I remove this install on october not to go back into a new one.