"Spinoff-sort of"THEN WHAT ARE NOT AGE APPROPRIATE HAIRSTYLES?

RegaLady

I wanted to know both as natural or relaxed hair, what styles were doomed to be not age appropriate? What length or style needs to go, and at what age? In your opinion, what style should be worn once you do reach a certain age? Just curious!

JustKiya

I dismiss all externally determined age-appropriate rules for my hair. There are some styles (like my shorter hair in twists, tightly curled) that make me look 12, so I don't wear them. There are other styles that make me look more grown up, and when I'm feeling my age (or need to display it) I wear those. I don't expect those same styles to reflect the same sort of 'aging' on people who don't have my face & build, so I roll on.

:lol: Okay. You shouldn't wear the ballknocker type ponytail holders out of the house once you have had your first period. :lachen: I do draw the line there.

That's about it.

RegaLady

I dismiss all externally determined age-appropriate rules for my hair. There are some styles (like my shorter hair in twists, tightly curled) that make me look 12, so I don't wear them. There are other styles that make me look more grown up, and when I'm feeling my age (or need to display it) I wear those. I don't expect those same styles to reflect the same sort of 'aging' on people who don't have my face & build, so I roll on.

:lol: Okay. You shouldn't wear the ballknocker type ponytail holders out of the house once you have had your first period. :lachen: I do draw the line there.

That's about it.
Okayyyy! Note taken!:lachen:

MizAvalon

I think "busy" styles are best left to kids and young girls. I saw this older black lady today that had one of those fake spiral ponytails on top of her head and it was gray to match her real hair. I had that exact style when I went to my senior prom!:lachen: Excessive beads, barrettes, 50-11 accessories, etc. also look pretty silly on someone grown.

I just think as you age your styles should become more classy, sophisticated, and sleek.

On the other end, I don't like seeing little girls with grown up hairdos.

Last edited:
Okay. You shouldn't wear the ballknocker type ponytail holders out of the house once you have had your first period. :lachen: I do draw the line there.

I think "busy" styles are best left to kids and young girls. I saw this older black lady today that had one of those fake spiral ponytails on top of her head and it was gray to match her real hair. I had that exact style when I went to my senior prom!:lachen: Excessive beads, barrettes, 50-11 accessories, etc. also look pretty silly on someone grown.

I just think as you age your styles should become more classy, sophisticated, and sleek.

ITA with both.
Add long extension braids on a middle aged woman to the list. :lachen:

ladylibra

ITA, well said. :yep: except i do wear the styles that make me look 12 :lachen:

ITA with this too. just like with clothing, i'm sorry there are certain things older women just look more appropriate in, just like there are certain things young girls shouldn't be wearing.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

That's about it.
Oh my gosh nooooo!:blush: I love those, tee hee:lachen:.

SoAnxious12

well here goes my list and as with anything in life there are a few exceptions.

Grown Women - styles that have "basket weave" type of flat twists, hugemongous pompadors (a small-medium is cute though) 22" on long wavy synthetic hair w/ a large pompador. Orange,purple,green and cherry colored hair. especially with black or gray roots!!!!!

Young(er) Women - heavily layered hair before the age of 12/13. Harshly lined bangs. The super short cut with the curls (rolls) in the back (before age 16)... super long braid extensions. the rihanna cut on 9yr.