Spinoff: Trinity...is or isn't?

stcsweet

Yes.

I believe that there is only one God; but He consists of three distinct persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Of course, the word "trinity" is not found in Scripture. It's used by Christians to express the doctrine of the unity of God as consisting of three distinct Persons.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Yes there's a Trinity. Here's some scriptural reference.

Colossians 1:15-23
The Supremacy of Christ
***15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

The Trinity can be hard to comprehend and hard to explain...How can someone be three in one? I try and use analogies. For example, H2O- there are three forms of water-solid (ice), liquid, and gas (vapor). They are three different forms, but it's still all water. Our own bodies are 3 part beings:Mind, body, and spirit, but it's still all me.

There are things about the Trinity that I STILL can't completely grasp and I've been a Christian for a long time. I just think it's one of those things that's hard for our little minds to wrap around. It makes COMPLETE sense to my spirit-man, but at times my mind is like "say wha?" :lol:

pebbles

I'm really proud of you ladies! :clap: These conversations are going so well! I'm so busy at work because of the Easter holiday I haven't had much time to participate on the forum, but you ladies are all really such a blessing! Stay blessed, sisters!! :rosebud:

DelightfulFlame

I'm coming back to this topic, I promise I am! We have been busy, and I can't think and research on the level that I need to right now. But I shall return!

Be blessed!

PittiPat

JuJuBoo said:
Colossians 1:15-23
The Supremacy of Christ
***15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

I still don't get it. I need a Trinity 101 class. :crazy:

stcsweet

PittiPat said:
I still don't get it. I need a Trinity 101 class. :crazy:

It's not easy for us to comprehend. Here's a repost (I yanked this from the other thread...) of some info.

God exists as a unity of three distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Each of the persons is distinct from the other, yet related in essence.

Each is divine in nature, but each is not the totality of the Godhead. Each has a will, loves, and says "I", and "You" when speaking.

The Father is not the same person as the Son who is not the same person as the Holy Spirit who is not the same person as the Father. Each is divine, yet there are not three gods, but one God.

There is, apparently, a subordination within the Trinity in regard to order but not substance or essence. The Father is first, the Son is second, and the Holy Spirit is third. The Father is not begotten, but the Son is (John 3:16). The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father (John 5:26). The Father sent the Son (1 John 4:10). The Son and the Father send the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 15:26). The Father creates (Isaiah 44:24), the Son redeems (Gal. 3:13), and the Holy Spirit sanctifies (Rom. 15:16).

Here are more good scripture references:

Matt. 28:18, Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

1 Cor. 12:4-6, Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6And there are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.

2 Cor. 13:14, The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

Eph. 4:4-7, There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. 7But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.

1 Pet. 1:2, "according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in fullest measure."

Jude 20-21, "But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith; praying in the Holy Spirit; 21keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life."

Honi

There is no board.
That was good. Before you posted this I was going to ask the question…..but God said that HE was the ONLY one and there is no other. I struggled with this trinity concept but I think I got it now.

Thanks so much for clearing that up.

DelightfulFlame

Here's my dilemma...if they are all the same, then how can they be so different?

And if there are levels of subordination, then how are they all the same?

Jesus DIED. He was DEAD for 3 days.

Jesus went to the Father.

The Holy Spirit wasn't sent until after Jesus was crucified.

Yet they are all God?

DelightfulFlame

From what I read, they all have the same Spirit. But I don't relate how having the same Spirit makes Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit the same.

I have the Spirit of God too. Does that make me part of the trinity? Or part of a quartet? LOL...just kidding!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
DelightfulFlame said:
Here's my dilemma...if they are all the same, then how can they be so different?

Yet they are all God?

From what I read, they all have the same Spirit. But I don't relate how having the same Spirit makes Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit the same.

I have the Spirit of God too. Does that make me part of the trinity? Or part of a quartet? LOL...just kidding!
When Jesus died, it was God in a human form. See, Jesus was HUMAN and DIVINE when he was on this earth. That's how Jesus died as a human and is alive today in saved Christian souls....

To explain trinity again...take a certain product like Noxzema Cleansing Cream for example. I see it as a product that's 3-in-1. I use it as a cleanser, moisturizer, and for oil control. Three different purposes all in one product.

Now let's take trinity for example as a 3-in-1 product: God is our heavenly Father, Jesus is our Savior of the punishment for our sins, the Holy Spirit is our Comforter and has many other purposes in guiding us in our Christian walk.

And it's not that the Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit have the same spirit... they are just three-in-God. We are not apart of the trinity because we are not divine.

Does that help?

Last edited:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
DelightfulFlame said:
I've got to go do some work (go figure), but I'll be back.

Give us your take...is there a Trinity or not?

No. :nono: God is one God; Jesus Christ is God Almighty.. He's God in work clothes. God in the flesh.

There are different roles of God that He "plays" There is ONE that sits on the throne. You will not see 3 different persons:

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1 Tim. 3:16; And without controversy, great is the mystery of godliness: GOD was mainfest(shown, made known) in the FLESH(Son in the greek meant flesh), justified in the Spirit, see of angels, PREACHED unto the Gentiles(who preached to the Gentiles? Jesus) believed on in the world, RECEIVED up into glory(who ascended? Jesus!)
Acts 20:27-28 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.......Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost(Spirit of God) hath made you overseer, to feed the church of God, which HE hath purchased with HIS OWN BLOOD.

Who shed His blood? JESUS!
John 4:24 God is a SPIRIT: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
John 14:7-9 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
Roman 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Hmmm...:scratchch: sounds like one in the same to me! ;) )

How about this: Matt. 1:18.....Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the HOLY GHOST.....vs.20.....Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the HOLY GHOST.....

So why isn't Jesus called the Son of the Holy Ghost? Hmm..:scratchch:**************************************
Matt. 28:18, Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name(SINGULAR) of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

If they are three 'persons' why doesn't the scripture say names? There is one name, you know. Let's go to the book of Acts: :D

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This was a command, not a bapitismal service.

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

The thing to remember is the Jesus was all of God and all of man. He prayed and cried and laughed as a man. He healed, calmed the storm and raised the dead as God.

Col. 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily...

The trinity was created by Constantine. Do a study and find the origin of the concept of the TRINITY.

stcsweet

DelightfulFlame said:

Much the same as why water, ice, and steam are the same and also are different.
Each serves a particular purpose - just like the Father, the Son, and the Holy
Spirit each serves particular purpose.

Check out one example of this in 2 Cor. 13:14

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God, and the fellowship of the
Holy Spirit, be with you all.

DelightfulFlame said:

This doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit did not exist before Jesus was crucified. Genesis 1:26 states that God the Father/Creator used the words 'us' and 'our'.

Genesis 1:26
Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image,
according to Our likeness; and let them rule over
the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and
over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every
creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

We know that we were not created in the image of angels, so this had to be the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in existence from the beginning.

DelightfulFlame said:
Yet they are all God?

Jesus, Himself equated himself with God, the Father in John 8:58
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you,
before Abraham was born, I am."

This is the same thing that God said to Moses in Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and
He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel,
'I AM has sent me to you.'

Also, read Acts 5:3-4
But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your
heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back
some of the price of the land?
"While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own?
And after it was sold, was it not under your control?
Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart?
You have not lied to men but to God."

Who did Ananias lie to? Peter says the Holy Spirit; God.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
DelightfulFlame said:
Thanks for the scriptures onepraying. I'm going to check those out.

So are you saying that there is not a Trinity?

No problem.... Yes ma'am, that's exactly what I am saying.

Do a study on the origin. It was made up to bring in the pagans, because They worshipped 3 gods. The Pharisees wanted to stone Jesus for making himself God (John 10:30-36)

stcsweet

onepraying said:

Do a study on the origin. It was made up to bring in the pagans, because They worshipped 3 gods. The Pharisees wanted to stone Jesus for making himself God (John 10:30-36)

Obviously, term 'trinity' is not in the bible. However, the is the best term that Christians have found to describe the nature of our single God in three distinct persons (not 3 gods).

Are you proposing a different way to describe God in three distinct persons?

Are we debating the term instead of the doctrine?

DelightfulFlame

@stcsweet...I think so.

The term Trinity, as I was always taught, meant that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit were all the same.

Though they come from the same SPIRIT (God), they do not appear to be the same to me all of the time, but sometimes they do. I still have A LOT of studying to do.

From reading, it looks like people all have different meanings for the Trinity. Sometimes it's 3 in 1...sometimes it's 1 in 3.

stcsweet

It sounds like your questions are pushing us all to study. This is definitely a good thing. I've actually learned quite a bit over the past week!

Thanks for asking and keep the questions coming. ;)

BlkHoneyLuv2U

onepraying said:
No. :nono: God is one God; Jesus Christ is God Almighty.. He's God in work clothes. God in the flesh.

There are different roles of God that He "plays" There is ONE that sits on the throne. You will not see 3 different persons:

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1 Tim. 3:16; And without controversy, great is the mystery of godliness: GOD was mainfest(shown, made known) in the FLESH(Son in the greek meant flesh), justified in the Spirit, see of angels, PREACHED unto the Gentiles(who preached to the Gentiles? Jesus) believed on in the world, RECEIVED up into glory(who ascended? Jesus!)
Acts 20:27-28 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.......Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost(Spirit of God) hath made you overseer, to feed the church of God, which HE hath purchased with HIS OWN BLOOD.

Who shed His blood? JESUS!
John 4:24 God is a SPIRIT: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
John 14:7-9 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
Roman 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Hmmm...:scratchch: sounds like one in the same to me! ;) )

How about this: Matt. 1:18.....Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the HOLY GHOST.....vs.20.....Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the HOLY GHOST.....

So why isn't Jesus called the Son of the Holy Ghost? Hmm..:scratchch:**************************************
Matt. 28:18, Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name(SINGULAR) of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

If they are three 'persons' why doesn't the scripture say names? There is one name, you know. Let's go to the book of Acts: :D

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This was a command, not a bapitismal service.

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

The thing to remember is the Jesus was all of God and all of man. He prayed and cried and laughed as a man. He healed, calmed the storm and raised the dead as God.

Col. 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily...

The trinity was created by Constantine. Do a study and find the origin of the concept of the TRINITY.

I am in total agreement with you and would like to add this scripture from
1st Timothy 3:16 "and without controversey great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."
Also look at John 1:1-14
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.

Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

Joh 1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

Joh 1:8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Poohbear

onepraying said:

But trinity doesn't mean 3 separate Gods!!!! Yes God is the one Almighty God meaning there are no other gods like Buddha and other gods people worship today. Trinity simply means three-in-one...God as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.... not three separate Gods!!! ;)

Poohbear

Thanks for posting this scripture! :up: This shows that there is such thing as trinity! :yep:
ladydee36330 said:
I am in total agreement with you and would like to add this scripture from
1st Timothy 3:16 "and without controversey great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.

Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

Joh 1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

Joh 1:8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Poohbear

stcsweet said:
Obviously, term 'trinity' is not in the bible. However, the is the best term that Christians have found to describe the nature of our single God in three distinct persons (not 3 gods).

Are you proposing a different way to describe God in three distinct persons?

Are we debating the term instead of the doctrine?
I agree! I would like to know as well.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

No trinity is not in the Bible but then again, neither is the word Rapture. I guess I say again I guess these are man made terms to explain something our limited human mind cannot explain. Poobear, how does the scriptures I posted confirm a trinity? I ask because I never saw it this way. Do tell.

DelightfulFlame

So Jesus prayed to Himself?

Background info on why I got interested in this. Every since I was a little girl, I was confused about who I was praying to. Was I supposed to pray to God, and end the prayer in Jesus name so it would reach God? Was I praying to Jesus who was also God? Did it matter?

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one confused. Looks like the Trinity is another one of those "Hell" and "Free Will" topics that takes on lots of different interpretations.

Poohbear

ladydee36330 said:
Poobear, how does the scriptures I posted confirm a trinity? I ask because I never saw it this way. Do tell.
Timothy: God was manifest in the flesh (God as Jesus in human form), justified in the Spirit (the Holy Spirit), seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Word is Jesus, Jesus was with God when He created the world!!!

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. The Word (Jesus) was made flesh (human), to live among us!!!

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Delightfulflam, if you are confused, ask God for guidance and clarification on the matter. Let Him give you the understanding your soul craves. These man made terms, I myself put no store in them whatso ever. Ask God to reveal His truth to you and believe me when He does this for you, nobody and I mean nobody will be able to sway you from that truth. Be blessed sister and keep praying, lookin up and believing.

stcsweet

ladydee36330 said:
No trinity is not in the Bible but then again, neither is the word Rapture. I guess I say again I guess these are man made terms to explain something our limited human mind cannot explain.

:up: ITA.

Furthermore, the word 'bible' is not even in the bible. So, we could go round-and-round on that point.

What's important is that God is a single God with 3 distinct persons. Each person of our single God relates to us differently.