Spinoff: Trinity...is or isn't?

JenJen2721

DelightfulFlame said:
I agree, there is one source, the Father. Everything and everyone else comes from him (including Jesus and the Holy Spirit).

What about the scriptures I posted a fews posts back that stated that Jesus was the creator of everything? and that the Spirit was the creator? Are you using the terms 'source' and 'creator' interchangeably? I just want to clarify.

pookeylou

So it sounds like different views of what the Trinity is.

Poohbear is saying (correct me if I am wrong) that the Father, Jesus the son and the holy spirit are one...in that they agree with each other. Have the same purpose, have the same thought.

I can agree with this. Jesus himself said, "If you have seen me you have seen the Father.." not meaning you are actually looking at God himself, but that Jesus did the will of his father. He and his Father were so close that Jesus imitated his father in his decisions, choices and acts. God told Moses, "No man can see God and live." However we can see God (understand Him) by looking at the life of Christ. They are still two different people...with the same purpose.

Jesus was the "firstborn" of all creation according to scripture. All other things came through him. He and his father worked closely to create. But again...they were two seperate people working together.

The Trinity sounds very confusing to me. I think it is because many Trinitarians have differing views on what the trinity is. Some say that all 3 are not seperate but one person in 3 different forms. Some say that they are seperate but in agreement with each other.

I cannot debate which Trinity teaching is true or not. Only Trinitarians can. I think once that is confirmed...people can go from there.

I think the original question was do you believe Jesus is part of a trinity or not. My study of the bible says no.

Jesus is the Son of God. That is an essential part of my belief. You cannot get life without it.

Since it is truth...I wont get into a debate. That is not Christ-like in my mind.

@ DL ...continue to search, question, research, pray. It is vital that you do.

Sweet C

I think this discussion is quite interesting to say the least. The best way I can think of to really describe the concept of the trinity is using someone as an example. For example, I will use JenJen2721. She is a wife, daughter, and mother. She is not 3 different people, but she is one person functioning in three different ways. How she interacts as a wife is very different than how she interacts as a mother or daughter, but they are all related, b/c they are all apart of who she is. The same thing with God. He operates as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but he is one and the same.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
pookeylou said:

Poohbear is saying (correct me if I am wrong) that the Father, Jesus the son and the holy spirit are one...in that they agree with each other. Have the same purpose, have the same thought.

I can agree with this. Jesus himself said, "If you have seen me you have seen the Father.." not meaning you are actually looking at God himself, but that Jesus did the will of his father. He and his Father were so close that Jesus imitated his father in his decisions, choices and acts. God told Moses, "No man can see God and live." However we can see God (understand Him) by looking at the life of Christ. They are still two different people...with the same purpose.

Jesus was the "firstborn" of all creation according to scripture. All other things came through him. He and his father worked closely to create. But again...they were two seperate people working together.

The Trinity sounds very confusing to me. I think it is because many Trinitarians have differing views on what the trinity is. Some say that all 3 are not seperate but one person in 3 different forms. Some say that they are seperate but in agreement with each other.

I cannot debate which Trinity teaching is true or not. Only Trinitarians can. I think once that is confirmed...people can go from there.

I think the original question was do you believe Jesus is part of a trinity or not. My study of the bible says no.

Jesus is the Son of God. That is an essential part of my belief. You cannot get life without it.

Since it is truth...I wont get into a debate. That is not Christ-like in my mind.

Yes, I agree with what you have said, but I believe Jesus is a part of trinity (from my definition...one in essence and nature with God and the Holy Spirit). Many of us have different meanings of the actual definition of trinity is. That's why there are disagreements and agreements about who God really is and what the Bible says. :yep:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I've been trying to come up with an example that would make this clear but I think you may be just over thinking it. I will use for an example blood. Blood is made up of white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, plasma. Each component interacts with each other, each has its own purpose. Red blood cells are not white blood cells, they cant do each others function, but you dont seperate them because its not blood with out all the components. White blood cells are not lesser than red blood cells because they don't perform their function. And you look at them as one substance.

Like wise the Trinity is made up of the Father, the Son and they Holy Spirit. They interact with each other, they have their own independent purposes. They have set their own individual functions. God the Father planned our redemption, Jesus executed the plan, the Holy Spirit remains as a guide and comforter. Three parts of a whole. Individuals with different personalites, different functions, but one Godhead.

I have to get back to work. Good luck. :)

Poohbear

Sweet C said:
I think this discussion is quite interesting to say the least. The best way I can think of to really describe the concept of the trinity is using someone as an example. For example, I will use JenJen2721. She is a wife, daughter, and mother. She is not 3 different people, but she is one person functioning in three different ways. How she interacts as a wife is very different than how she interacts as a mother or daughter, but they are all related, b/c they are all apart of who she is. The same thing with God. He operates as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but he is one and the same.
GREAT EXAMPLE! Good way to put it!!! :up: Check that example out DLF! :yep:

JenJen2721

pookeylou said:

I can respect that you don't want to debate this subject, but I just want to clear up that we don't even need the word, 'trinity'. It's just that we know that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all one God and a simple way of describing that is Trinity. That's something most Christians are on one accord about. So it's not about what Trinitarians say, it's about what the Bible says. If the bible states that Jesus created everything, and that the Father created everything and ALSO says the Holy Spirit is the creator, how can one dispute the bible? It's impossible for three different people to create the same EXACT thing? I guess unless God the Father made my head, then Jesus made my arms and legs, and then the Holy Spirit created my torso then they all got together and assembled me somehow. They are one in the same. They are all the same CREATOR, they are all the same God.

pebbles

Enchantmt said:
I've been trying to come up with an example that would make this clear but I think you may be just over thinking it. I will use for an example blood. Blood is made up of white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, plasma. Each component interacts with each other, each has its own purpose. Red blood cells are not white blood cells, they cant do each others function, but you dont seperate them because its not blood with out all the components. White blood cells are not lesser than red blood cells because they don't perform their function. And you look at them as one substance.

Like wise the Trinity is made up of the Father, the Son and they Holy Spirit. They interact with each other, they have their own independent purposes. They have set their own individual functions. God the Father planned our redemption, Jesus executed the plan, the Holy Spirit remains as a guide and comforter. Three parts of a whole. Individuals with different personalites, different functions, but one Godhead.

Another great example! :)

JenJen2721

Sweet C said:

A wonderful example if I do say so myself! Just kidding! But it's a good example.

Another analogy is, time. Time consists of past, present and future...they alll are different, but just ONE time. You can't separate them from being time.

pebbles

Sweet C said:

Yet another good one. :)

Poohbear

JenJen2721 said:
I can respect that you don't want to debate this subject, but I just want to clear up that we don't even need the word, 'trinity'. It's just that we know that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all one God and a simple way of describing that is Trinity. That's something most Christians are on one accord about. So it's not about what Trinitarians say, it's about what the Bible says. If the bible states that Jesus created everything, and that the Father created everything and ALSO says the Holy Spirit is the creator, how can one dispute the bible? It's impossible for three different people to create the same EXACT thing? I guess unless God the Father made my head, then Jesus made my arms and legs, and then the Holy Spirit created my torso then they all got together and assembled me somehow. They are one in the same. They are all the same CREATOR, they are all the same God.
I totally agree along with everything else you said. :yep:

Honeyhips

Lovely
Enchantmt said:

That was a very good example. Thank you.

DelightfulFlame

Sweet C said:

The only problem I have with this example is that JenJen is still JenJen.

JenJen the daughter doesn't pray to JenJen the mother...I would assume. And JenJen the wife didn't create JenJen the mother. Does JenJen the daughter refer to JenJen the mother as FATHER?

DelightfulFlame

JenJen2721 said:
What about the scriptures I posted a fews posts back that stated that Jesus was the creator of everything? and that the Spirit was the creator? Are you using the terms 'source' and 'creator' interchangeably? I just want to clarify.

I believe those scriptures were discussed earlier in the post. From what I have read, the source is the FATHER. All of the power that Jesus was given to create was obtained from the FATHER. Yet the FATHER never says He obtained anything from anywhere except Himself.

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
The only problem I have with this example is that JenJen is still JenJen.

JenJen the daughter doesn't pray to JenJen the mother...I would assume. And JenJen the wife didn't create JenJen the mother. Does JenJen the daughter refer to JenJen the mother as FATHER?
She was just giving an example of how God is 3-in-1. Of course no human can have the divine powers like God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit has.

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
I believe those scriptures were discussed earlier in the post. From what I have read, the source is the FATHER. All of the power that Jesus was given to create was obtained from the FATHER. Yet the FATHER never says He obtained anything from anywhere except Himself.
TRUE!!!! ;)

Poohbear

Enchantmt said:

ANOTHER GREAT EXAMPLE!!! :yep: Right on!

pookeylou

JenJen2721 said:

My final two pennies :) :

I believe that Jesus and God are one in that they agree with each other and have the same purpose. The scriptures support that.

I believe that Jesus and his Father helped create all that we see. That does not mean they are the same person. If you and I create a mosaic table top we worked together in unison...that does not make us the same person, same body. There are two creators on the table...not one. Even though we worked together in unison. It still does not equal...one.

I believe what the scriptures say...what Jesus himself says on subject:

The Jewish leaders wanted to kill Jesus because "in addition to disobeying their Sabbath Laws, he had spoken of God as his father, thereby making himself equal to God." (The Living Bible) The Jewish leaders said Jesus made that claim...Jesus never said that. He said he was God's Son. Jesus said the "Father is greater than I am." Greater does not mean equal to.

Can you be a son and a father at the same time? Sure. My dad is a son and he is my father. But is my dad HIS own father...of course not.

1+1+1=3...not 1.

Are they seperate (I notice that many of you refer to the Holy spirit as "person" in the third part of this trinity/arrangement) yes. Are they in agreement...yes.

I and my husband are one in agreement...we are not the same person.

These discussions prove more and more why it is important to research and study God's word for ourselves. As long as we continue to do that...God will show the honest hearted ones who want to know what is right...the right way. God is a God of order...not of disunity. So logic (and scripture) tells us that there cannot be 10 different versions of the truth.

Either God is Jesus...or God is the Father and Jesus is the Son of the Father.

When you feel truly at peace about your belief...then you know God has given you the answer. I feel truly at peace knowing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and only through him can anyone get peace and life and have hope.

DelightfulFlame

Enchantmt said:

In this example, I see what you are saying. But I still don't see a Trinity. The reason is because Jesus exists from within the Father (source). Yet the Father existed before everything. But I do agree that they all work together, and do different things. I just don't see them as being all one God. They all seem to stem from the same source though.

pebbles

pookeylou said:
1+1+1=3...not 1.

Mathimatically, this is correct, but spiritually speaking, I do not hold this equation accurate when speaking of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. If Jesus says that " I and the Father are one," to me, 1+1 is not 2 but 1. That's my take on it, but I respect your views. :)

DelightfulFlame

pookeylou said:
My final two pennies :) :

I believe that Jesus and God are one in that they agree with each other and have the same purpose. The scriptures support that.

I believe that Jesus and his Father helped create all that we see. That does not mean they are the same person. If you and I create a mosaic table top we worked together in unison...that does not make us the same person, same body. There are two creators on the table...not one. Even though we worked together in unison. It still does not equal...one.

I believe what the scriptures say...what Jesus himself says on subject:

The Jewish leaders wanted to kill Jesus because "in addition to disobeying their Sabbath Laws, he had spoken of God as his father, thereby making himself equal to God." (The Living Bible) The Jewish leaders said Jesus made that claim...Jesus never said that. He said he was God's Son. Jesus said the "Father is greater than I am." Greater does not mean equal to.

Can you be a son and a father at the same time? Sure. My dad is a son and he is my father. But is my dad HIS own father...of course not.

1+1+1=3...not 1.

Are they seperate (I notice that many of you refer to the Holy spirit as "person" in the third part of this trinity/arrangement) yes. Are they in agreement...yes.

I and my husband are one in agreement...we are not the same person.

These discussions prove more and more why it is important to research and study God's word for ourselves. As long as we continue to do that...God will show the honest hearted ones who want to know what is right...the right way. God is a God of order...not of disunity. So logic (and scripture) tells us that there cannot be 10 different versions of the truth.

Either God is Jesus...or God is the Father and Jesus is the Son of the Father.

When you feel truly at peace about your belief...then you know God has given you the answer. I feel truly at peace knowing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and only through him can anyone get peace and life and have hope.

ITA! well said. After this long discussion, I have found peace on this subject too. Thanks ladies!

JenJen2721

pookeylou said:
These discussions prove more and more why it is important to research and study God's word for ourselves. As long as we continue to do that...God will show the honest hearted ones who want to know what is right...the right way.

I'll agree with that and leave it there. :yep:

mkstar826

supersonic
pebbles said:
What "agenda" do we have here other than to fellowship together amongst other Christians and to discuss that Jesus Christ IS Lord? I'm not understanding that last phrase. Most of us here know and understand that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost are one and the same.
We don't really know how that is and cannot explain it enough for DF to understand it, and maybe she doesn't want to understand it, in which case there isn't anything anyone can say that she will believe or accept, but I'm glad that there are people willing to try.

Ultimately, sisters, we can't talk such knowledge into anyone. Many great posts have been made trying to explain this phenomenon, but people need to be of a heart to receive what is being said, and if it appears that no matter what you say nothing is getting through, then the Holy Spirit has not yet revealed this to them, and it is through the power of the Holy Spirit alone that a person will come to accept that there are 3 persons in one God. I do agree that there is too much potential for confussion in some of these topics and that's not what we want, so if it looks like you aren't getting anywhere, make your statement and move on. Just pray that God will touch hearts and bring clarity where it is needed. :)

The agenda, from what I'm seeing, is to convince someone that the trinity exists as YOU (in general, not you specifically) believe it to exist. Nowhere in the bible does it say the word trinity or speak of it like many people believe it to be...It's a MAN MADE concept...so the topic IS up for debate and is subject to different interpretations, right? Just because you believe and interpret the scriptures in a certain way does NOT make it true or even accurate. Just because your pastor or whoever told you that the notion of 3 in 1 as one being is true does not make it true. This is why I said she should pray to God and study on her own rather than talk about it amongst people who aren't really open to seeing it from another angle...or atleast talk about it amongst a wide variety of people who are willing to be open. Talking about it amongst people who only see it one way only leads to confusion and debate over something that is subjective. ;)

Last edited:

mkstar826

supersonic
DelightfulFlame said:
You are asking me to do something that you don't seem to be doing. Open up your heart and receive what is being said. Why? Because it doesn't line up with your Spirit. Even though the TRUTH is the same b/c God does not change, He has chosen to reveal different things to us at different times.

If it is so clear cut and revealed the same to everyone, then why are there so many different interpretations and questions in this thread alone? What is the need to discuss anything? We would all think and see the same things, correct? But since we don't...

...and I am not the only one who doesn't get the Trinity concept.

So since I don't get it, everyone is supposed to stop discussing it with me?

:clapping:

Poohbear

mkstar826 said:
The agenda, from what I'm seeing, is to convince someone that the trinity exists as YOU (in general, not you specifically) believe it to exist. Nowhere in the bible does it say the word trinity or speak of it like many people believe it to be...It's a MAN MADE concept...so the topic IS up for debate and is subject to different interpretations, right? Just because you believe and interpret the scriptures in a certain way does NOT make it true or even accurate. Just because your pastor or whoever told you that the notion of 3 in 1 as one being is true does not make it true. This is why I said she should pray to God and study on her own rather than talk about it amongst people who aren't really open to seeing it from another angle...or atleast talk about it amongst a wide variety of people who are willing to be open. Talking about it amongst people who only see it one way only leads to confusion and debate over something that is subjective. ;)
No one is trying to convince anyone that trinity exist in the way they believe it to exist. We are simply trying to explain the scriptures and the concepts behind God's word in order for someone to understand. I think the ladies here who believe in God as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not explaining things based on their OWN opinion...most of what has been posted from "trinity believers" is based on the word of God.

mkstar826

supersonic
Poohbear said:
No one is trying to convince anyone that trinity exist in the way they believe it to exist. We are simply trying to explain the scriptures and the concepts behind God's word in order for someone to understand. I think the ladies here who believe in God as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not explaining things based on their OWN opinion...most of what has been posted from "trinity believers" is based on the word of God.

IMO, people are trying to convince those who don't believe it to be so of that. (My opinion can't be debated.)

Also, how can you base it on the word of God when the concept of the trinity is man made? You said that yourself. This is why I feel it should be discussed from a broader angle with a different group. Not discrediting anyone's opinion here, but by now it's clear that this is kind of a one-sided debate so what's the point? Sure we can all take scriptures and bend them to fit what you've been told as proof that it does or doesn't exist...but that doesn't make it true or accurate. God is the only one who determines that and contrary to what you said no one else can tell you what God thinks as it pertains to your individual life. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Poohbear

mkstar826 said:
IMO, people are trying to convince her of that. My opinion can't be debated.

Also, how can you base it on the word of God when the concept of the trinity is man made? You said that yourself. This is why I feel it should be discussed from a broader angle with a different group. Not discrediting anyone's opinion here, but by now it's clear that this is kind of a one-sided debate so what's the point? Sure we can all take scriptures and bend them to fit what you've been told as proof that it does or doesn't exist...but that doesn't make it true or accurate. God is the only one who determines that and contrary to what you said no one else can tell you what God thinks as it pertains to your individual life. That's all I'm saying.
I also agreed to the fact that you don't even have to use the word "trinity" to explain this concept. It's just simply God as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Trinity is just a word. Just like the word "Bible"...God didn't give his holy word this name...man did! That's why we have dictionaries to give definitions to things, concepts, principles, etc...all words are man-made!!! :yep:

mkstar826

supersonic
what does that have to do with what i said?

if it's a man made concept then how can one be sure that this was the way God intended it to be? especially when there are scriptures that 'prove' both sides of the argument? this whole issue has basically been an argument of semantics and interpretation...

my point is no human can explain it to you or make you aware of it so to sit here and try to convince someone that what you believe, exactly how you believe it is ummm...interesting...for lack of a better word. not saying anything is wrong with discusion but ultimately, go to God.

anywho, i'm done replying because i know where i stand on it and don't want to add to anymore confusion.

great topic DF! i'd love to discuss it on NP too.

Last edited:

JenJen2721

mkstar826 said:

For me this discussion, after I posted the scriptures that to me proved that there is only one God consisting of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, (I don't care whether one uses the term Trinity) to me trying to understand how one could ascertain (from scripture) that there is more than one God? :confused: So I was trying to understand, at least where the other pov was coming from.

I would like to see the scripture that supports that theory, but I suppose that's another thread.

Last edited:

Poohbear

JenJen2721 said:
For me this discussion, after I posted the scriptures that to me proved that there is only one God consisting of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, (I don't care whether one uses the term Trinity) to me trying to understand how one could ascertain (from scripture) that there is more than one God? :confused: So I was trying to understand, at least where the other pov was coming from.

I would like to see the scripture that supports that theory, but I suppose that's another thread.
I agree. I also wonder how one can ascertain that there's more than one God.