Spiral Sets

bimbabe

Are the good or bad for the hair.

I think they may be bad for my hair because

1. Some of my hair got caught in the rod and broke off when they were removed.

2. Because there is little manipulation my shed hair had no way to manouver out of the curl and go trapped. Resulting in lots of knots at the end of my hair and tangles on wash day -leading to some breakage during the detangling process.

What are your experiences with this "protective style"?

if you wrap your hair too tightly around the rod it'll break your hair. you dont wanna do that. do you use end papers? spiral sets shouldnt be too damaging to your hair, no more than a roller set if done right.

I got those knots at the end of my hair as well. I wish this style had worked better since I am too busy to do my hair on a daily basis.

I found that this happens to my hair as well. I was gonna make this my hair style for a while but then I noticed on wash day I have nots nots and more nots!!!!!! Does anyone have any ideas that can help??

What kind of rollers are you using. I found that when I used perm rods for my set my hair would get caught, then again I wasn't using end papers. But when I use flexi rods I dont have that problem.

Hiya

She used perm rollers with papers and it didn't feel too tight.

I just don't think it is that great for the hair after the amount of hair that came out and knotted up afterwards.

My hair is really fine an d I guess us fine haired ladies need to accept that it gets tangly easily esp is you are a type 4. It may accept styling eg- if i don't wrap my hair and sleep on satin sheets my hair still gets try and tangly...it needs to be constantly separated. Same thing goes for a coil bun.

I wear my hair curled from perm rods regularly. I've only experienced the problem that you mentioned (i.e. knots at the end of your hair) when I start finger combing my curls to give the appearance of more volume. In that case, I'll be pulling my finger through my hair and then it gets caught at my ends. At this point, you shouldn’t rip your finger through to remove the knot. I’d wet that section and re-curl it if you can. Since I've stopped doing that, I don't experience knots. As for hair getting caught in the perm rods, I believe if you use too much setting solution or hairspray your hair will harden around the rod and may become stuck if you don't properly unroll your hair or use papers. Personally, I don't use papers. As long as your not rolling your hair too tight and ripping the perm rods out your hair after it's dry, you shouldn't have any problems. HTH. :)

Update!

I spoke to my hairdresser and he said depending on how you sleep the hair can become matted because it is rubbing around each other. Compare this to when you wrap where all the hair stays put.

So this matting and tangling leads to the knots.

His assistant suggested I take a paddle brush and start to brush out the curls...I gave her the look.

Back