Spirulina: Miracle Product or SCAM???

EbonyEyes

I was really excited about purchasing spirulina but then I got to researching....

This article talks about what is hype and what is truth regarding spirulina: http://www.ivillage.com/food/experts/hltheat/articles/0,,201390_8747,00.html

This is one of the many sites I read that said that Spirulina is a waste of money and has been hyped up as this miracle food when it is not.

Another thing that concerns me is I was looking at the nutrition facts and noticed that a 3g serving of Earthrise Spirulina contains only
- 7mg calcium (0.7% DV)
- 1.7g Protein (4% DV)

But they claim that spirulina has more more protein than beef and more calcium than milk. How is that possible with those numbers?

If you want to see a detailed breakdown of Earthrises's superfoods, go here: http://www.earthrise.com/Comparison.html

What do you guys think of that article and the nutritional composition?

Are there any people who can say that spirulina does exactly what producers say it does? Have you noticed increased hair growth with spirulina? How much are you taking?

Thanks

-Ebony

Isis

I've been taking Earthrise Spirulina for years and I believe it is truly one of the superfoods. Spirulina has all the vitamins and minerals we need for life, including B-12, great for vegetarians who usually are lacking this vitamin.

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I've been taking Earthrise Spirulina for years and I believe it is truly one of the superfoods. Spirulina has all the vitamins and minerals we need for life, including B-12, great for vegetarians who usually are lacking this vitamin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you take the recommended 3g dosage, Iris?
I also read in that article and on other sites that the vitamin B-12 in spirulina cannot be used by humans.

This is a quote from http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html :

"The only reliable unfortified sources of vitamin B12 are meat, dairy products and eggs. There has been considerable research into possible plant food sources of B12. Fermented soya products, seaweeds and algae have all been proposed as possible sources of B12. However, analysis of fermented soya products, including tempeh, miso, shoyu and tamari, found no significant B12.

Spirulina, an algae available as a dietary supplement in tablet form, and nori, a seaweed, have both appeared to contain significant amounts of B12 after analysis. However, it is thought that this is due to the presence of compounds structurally similar to B12, known as B12 analogues. These cannot be utilised to satisfy dietary needs. Assay methods used to detect B12 are unable to differentiate between B12 and it's analogues, Analysis of possible B12 sources may give false positive results due to the presence of these analogues.

Researchers have suggested that supposed B12 supplements such as spirulina may in fact increase the risk of B12 deficiency disease, as the B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism.

The current nutritional consensus is that no plant foods can be relied on as a safe source of vitamin B12."

However, this site, http://www.spirulinasource.com/earthfoodch2b.html , suggests that the research saying that the B-12 in spirulina is inadequate and may be dangerous is incomplete.

-Ebony

LABETT

I dont know if it is a miracle or scam but I like and it give me great energy and I am not having any problems with it.I take 6 tabs a day.

EbonyEyes

The more I read, the more scared I am to take spirulina or chlorella for that matter.

-Ebony

mystiquesista

I almost purchased spirulina a few days ago until I came across this article that claimed it was all hype. One of the things that really got to me was that it said that most manufaturerers dont wash their spirulina good and that they studied a sample that contained dead roaches,ants,feces and alot of different insects. It also stated that it could possibly make you sick.
And sorry but I don't remember the address.

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
mystiquesista said:
I almost purchased spirulina a few days ago until I came across this article that claimed it was all hype. One of the things that really got to me was that it said that most manufaturerers dont wash their spirulina good and that they studied a sample that contained dead roaches,ants,feces and alot of different insects. It also stated that it could possibly make you sick.
And sorry but I don't remember the address.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eww!! That is disgusting! I think I may pass on this one and just get my protein and calcium the old fashion way.

-Ebony

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyEyes said:
The more I read, the more scared I am to take spirulina or chlorella for that matter.

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebony, you may want to check out this thread:Spirulina

There need not be any fears about this algae. Spirulina is a food rather than a supplement and I've only experienced health since taking it. I do supplement with B-12 mainly because of my vegetarian based diet and my body needs more of it than what Spirulina provides. And because Spirulina is a live food, it provides me with lots of real energy, not the temporary energy that caffeine or sugar provides. In my experience, Spirulina has been a permanent and awesome part of my diet. I only wish I could grow my own.

That was an interesting excerpt you provided, I wonder what the intent really was behind it, to inform or to make people afraid of it... Please check out the Spirulina thread if you haven't already and read the experiences of many of the ladies here who have and are using it.

cherish

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyEyes said:
Another thing that concerns me is I was looking at the nutrition facts and noticed that a 3g serving of Earthrise Spirulina contains only
- 7mg calcium (0.7% DV)
- 1.7g Protein (4% DV)

But they claim that spirulina has more more protein than beef and more calcium than milk. How is that possible with those numbers?

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't take it, but the numbers are better than for chicken breast, at least. I just looked at a package I have and it says a serving of 112g gives 28g of protein. That works out to 3g of chicken breast giving 0.75g of protein.

Honeyhips

Lovely
thanks for the info. Isis I think I'm going to follow you around the boards to get all of your health tips:) I need energy in the worst way. HOw soon does this stuff work?

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Honeyhips said:
thanks for the info. Isis I think I'm going to follow you around the boards to get all of your health tips:) I need energy in the worst way. HOw soon does this stuff work?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome Honeyhips. Spirulina works quickly to give you long-lasting energy because it's a live food and because of the vitamins and minerals it has such as iron and protein. How much you take depends on how you feel and what your body needs. Everyone's different. For me, I prefer to take four 500 mg tablets distributed throughout the day. Others may take more. By the way, all live foods will give you longer lasting energy, such as raw foods and raw nuts and seeds.

As a side note, I know of several people who take Spirulina after a night of heavy drinking, just before going to bed.
They claim that it always prevents hangovers.