Splint ends After Keratin

Bun Mistress

Years ago I did Keratin treatments from years until I started having kids really with great results I only did it 2 to 4 times a year and I got to hip length doing this. Fast forward to last year. i wanted to start doing keratin again and I got tons of splint ends all through the shaft. I didn't use my use product (not sold any longer) but I did research and used GHD gold. I don't use excessive heat (literally I only use direct hear for the application process).
Now I am not sure to blame this on my crappy few years post kids (they are just turning 3 and 5) or if I didn't something insane with the application process. Or if my hair just can't take the treatments any longer. Its time for a redo on the process. I usually focus on the new growth and then rinse and do a henna treatment. I haven't done a protein treatment in a while .but I will have to either grow out the keratin treatment hair (my hair never reverts after keratin plus henna) or try again. Just looking for some thought or advice.

waff

Hi, I have few questions to get a better understanding:

After you went back to Keratin treatments, did you use a new keratin treatment this time around?
Do you deep conditioner regularly?

I also do bkt treatments, and I learned that they are not all equal. Depending on the brand or how your own hair's properties are, one might work great or cause a great deal of damage. After the application process, I tend to really focus on putting back hydration to the hair shaft. The flat ironing process and infusing the hair with all the keratin can cause extreme dryness in the long run especially if you have dry hair initially.

If you used a new product, it's clearly not working out for your hair unfortunately. I had a set back because I used a bkt that was too harsh. I wouldn't suggest you use that new product again because it might cause further breakage.

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

This time around was a new product but i have been using it consistently. That is the Gold product I Was referring to, the old one was actually from Walgreen but it was great I miss it.

I always Deep condition, I haven't been doing as many protein DC's but the split ends I am seeing is like nothing IH ave had before.

Which BKT product are you using @waff?

waff

This time around was a new product but i have been using it consistently. That is the Gold product I Was referring to, the old one was actually from Walgreen but it was great I miss it.

I always Deep condition, I haven't been doing as many protein DC's but the split ends I am seeing is like nothing IH ave had before.

Which BKT product are you using @waff?
I tried to search for "GHD gold Keratin treatment" but nothing comes up except ghd flat irons. Could you post a picture of how it looks? and what's the old product you were using from Walgreens? Is it the OGX Brazilian keratin therapy?

In the past I used a keratin treatment from copolla, and it was to harsh and caused some breakage. Thankfully I didn't do too many passes with the flat iron so it didn't take very well. After that I experimented with other brands which I semi liked. My favorite would have to be the most recent one I tried: Goldwell Kerasilk treatment. It's not as intense and or as harsh and it kept my texture but I still got the smoothing results.

There is a thread here for Keratin treatments and it's very useful with a lot of info: Keratin suppourt thread

You still need protein. However since you have been deep conditioning, the split ends must be from the keratin treatment you used. I would take that as a sign to not use it again. Last time I had a setback I dropped that brand completely and I babied my hair with alternating Olaplex #3 treatment and protein treatments along moisture deep conditioners. I had to trim off a good amount too because my ends didn't look great. After few months, my hair made a turn to the better.

One thing I make sure to do when I do a retouch is to not pass the ends too many times. Last time I did 3-4 passes on the roots to mid shaft, and from the mid shaft to ends I made only 1-2 passes. The old hair is already processed and doesn't need too much new keratin to infuse.

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

Thanks I have been all over the Keratin Support thread. I just didnt want to give up my giant bottle of keratin left. I will try the olaplex and a by chance my old keratin treatment is back on Amazon (I hadn't looked in a year). The one I used was cheap but effective and I never had trouble with it. I have very fine hair.

I had a moment I started using QOD gold I was using Nunaat.

I wonder why this product did so much damage? I had a Keratin treatment 15 plus years ago called American dream that also damaged my hair.

waff

And thanks so much for the help!
No problem :). You can resell the bottle that you have online, it's better than causing further breakage. It might suit someone else's hair better.

Looking on amazon this nunnat bkt is glycolic acid based. I am not sure if it's similar to the one you used, but glycolic acid based bkt tend to be more gentle on the hair.

The QOD treatment seems to be more within the traditional format of bkts. Usually these are more harsh especially if you have fine hair.

The damage could be to multiple reasons. I had issues with bkts in the past as well. I have fine hair and it can't take too much abuse since the bkt process is very intensive with the flat ironing. I find that non glycolic acid based bkt are too intensive and they infuse the hair with too much keratin at once. You got instant results but the hair suffers in the long run. Ofcourse there are people that get away with this if they have coarser stronger hair, mine is not coarse and very fine. I think more milder bkts give me the smoothness but without drying the hair too much or sacrificing the health.

I would just baby you hair with treatments and care for it for few months with low manipulation styles and a good trim to remove the split ends. @Prettymetty uses prismax hair botox treatment that seems to work for her and it has great reviews, it doesn't seem harsh at all like old school bkts.

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

No problem :). You can resell the bottle that you have online, it's better than causing further breakage. It might suit someone else's hair better.

Looking on amazon this nunnat bkt is glycolic acid based. I am not sure if it's similar to the one you used, but glycolic acid based bkt tend to be more gentle on the hair.

The QOD treatment seems to be more within the traditional format of bkts. Usually these are more harsh especially if you have fine hair.

The damage could be to multiple reasons. I had issues with bkts in the past as well. I have fine hair and it can't take too much abuse since the bkt process is very intensive with the flat ironing. I find that non glycolic acid based bkt are too intensive and they infuse the hair with too much keratin at once. You got instant results but the hair suffers in the long run. Ofcourse there are people that get away with this if they have coarser stronger hair, mine is not coarse and very fine. I think more milder bkts give me the smoothness but without drying the hair too much or sacrificing the health.

I would just baby you hair with treatments and care for it for few months with low manipulation styles and a good trim to remove the split ends. @Prettymetty uses prismax hair botox treatment that seems to work for her and it has great reviews, it doesn't seem harsh at all like old school bkts.
Thanks and I just saw a few hours ago @Prettymetty post on the prisamax and its on sale for black Frida yad nI already picked it up. I am going to do a protein treatment and and/or olaplex then try the prisamax (spaced out of course) but I know I am going ot have to grow out most of this mess.

Thanks for the glycolic acid insight, I have never heard of that before when researching Keratin treatments so this is eye opening for me and is likely the cause of my past problems (and why I can take a good bit of protein in the past). Realy great information I would have never found combing through threads. You deserve an award or an up vote or whatever we do on this site.

Thank you so much adn to Prettymetty for yout post in the Keratin thread as well. Happy Thanksgiving everyone

waff

Thanks and I just saw a few hours ago @Prettymetty post on the prisamax and its on sale for black Frida yad nI already picked it up. I am going to do a protein treatment and and/or olaplex then try the prisamax (spaced out of course) but I know I am going ot have to grow out most of this mess.

Thanks for the glycolic acid insight, I have never heard of that before when researching Keratin treatments so this is eye opening for me and is likely the cause of my past problems (and why I can take a good bit of protein in the past). Realy great information I would have never found combing through threads. You deserve an award or an up vote or whatever we do on this site.

Thank you so much adn to Prettymetty for yout post in the Keratin thread as well. Happy Thanksgiving everyone

I had some experience with using protein or/and olaplex before/after doing a bkt and I noticed that it doesn't take as well when I do them too soon before/after. Since Olaplex and most protein treatments get absorbed by the hair's inner cuticle, it seems to block the bkt to an extent. Remember that the whole purpose of a bkt is to infuse the hair with Keratin which is why it's required to clarify the hair well because you want the cuticle to be "naked".

Personally I try to not do any protein/olaplex 2 weeks before or after the bkt. I focus on moisture instead and maybe a light protein treatment but nothing intense. After 2 weeks than I do a full on Olaplex treatment #1 and #2 as well as a protein treatment.

Best of luck :2inlove: This site is filled with great information and the ladies here are very generous with sharing so I try to share whenever I can.

Bun Mistress

I had some experience with using protein or/and olaplex before/after doing a bkt and I noticed that it doesn't take as well when I do them too soon before/after. Since Olaplex and most protein treatments get absorbed by the hair's inner cuticle, it seems to block the bkt to an extent. Remember that the whole purpose of a bkt is to infuse the hair with Keratin which is why it's required to clarify the hair well because you want the cuticle to be "naked".

Personally I try to not do any protein/olaplex 2 weeks before or after the bkt. I focus on moisture instead and maybe a light protein treatment but nothing intense. After 2 weeks than I do a full on Olaplex treatment #1 and #2 as well as a protein treatment.

Best of luck :2inlove: This site is filled with great information and the ladies here are very generous with sharing so I try to share whenever I can.
ok since you brought this up. I am planning on doing an olaplex and a protein treatment I have researched this and I dont thin it will be a problem. And you are saying then wait a few weeks and do a bkt. hat makes perfect sense to me. I just want to make sure that won't be a problem.

My last BKT was 4 or months ago. I was planning on doing olapex and protein at least once before I considered another BKT. And I was only going to BKT the new growth which should be easier as I am changing BKTs. I may wait if my hiar still isn't looking great.

waff

ok since you brought this up. I am planning on doing an olaplex and a protein treatment I have researched this and I dont thin it will be a problem. And you are saying then wait a few weeks and do a bkt. hat makes perfect sense to me. I just want to make sure that won't be a problem.

My last BKT was 4 or months ago. I was planning on doing olapex and protein at least once before I considered another BKT. And I was only going to BKT the new growth which should be easier as I am changing BKTs. I may wait if my hiar still isn't looking great.
You can totally do both Olaplex and protein, I would only suggest to wait at least 2 weeks after doing the treatment to do the bkt to make sure that it takes well on your hair.

Newhottie

Project Back to fabulousness
Sounds like the brand didn’t take well to your hair. I’ve had that happen to me with various brands when they did BKT in the salon at first I thought it was the heat but it happened even when they didn’t use much heat - they didn’t want to share what brand they were using so I stopped going.

I just tried the INOAR and aside from headaches from poor ventilation so far so good, my texture is still very much in play and my hair is much easier to handle I didn’t use as much heat and passes as they recommended- didn’t blow dry.

I’ve been doing the drenched method someone posted with the DCs since my BKT mainly protein based and initially got a bit of hard hair, did a wash and moisturising dc and my hair feels like heaven. Will be alternating the moisture and protein as I colour as well and need to maintain my strength.

I think you should try olaplex too and then a trim or at least dusting and find a friendlier treatment for your hair. Maybe test a few strands with samples first.

Bun Mistress

Sounds like the brand didn’t take well to your hair. I’ve had that happen to me with various brands when they did BKT in the salon at first I thought it was the heat but it happened even when they didn’t use much heat - they didn’t want to share what brand they were using so I stopped going.

I just tried the INOAR and aside from headaches from poor ventilation so far so good, my texture is still very much in play and my hair is much easier to handle I didn’t use as much heat and passes as they recommended- didn’t blow dry.

I’ve been doing the drenched method someone posted with the DCs since my BKT mainly protein based and initially got a bit of hard hair, did a wash and moisturising dc and my hair feels like heaven. Will be alternating the moisture and protein as I colour as well and need to maintain my strength.

I think you should try olaplex too and then a trim or at least dusting and find a friendlier treatment for your hair. Maybe test a few strands with samples first.
I looked for this in the forum but I didn't find what you were referring ot in the Drench method. I have not been in the hair care section of the forum in a while apparently.

Newhottie

Project Back to fabulousness

Bun Mistress

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...sturizing-technique-the-drench-method.850431/ here you go. I wear my hair in loose ponies on scarves so it works for me so far. Only been doing it for a couple weeks, will try and be consistent until Spring.

Funny, I did this when I was doing BKT in the past and didn't realize it, I was using Afrodetangeler (RIP) and I would flat twist or braid out everynight and unravel in the morning I got to tail bone length doing that. I never found a moisturiezer I liked as much as that product. Good luck