Split end help needed

Umm Ebraheem

I wanted to ask if anyone had any helpful tips on preventing split ends. I think I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to in order to prevent them but I have a serious split end problem and it is keeping me from reaching my goal length. I've noticed that I get splits pretty high up the shaft at about 1-1/2 to 2 inches and not at the very end. I no longer do wash and goes to try to prevent friction and I usually where my hair in a braid out after having it braided for a day or 2. I wear a bonnet or scarf to bed just about every night. I'm thinking there is something lacking in my diet or health to cause so much splitting because I can't see where I'm going wrong in my routine. I try not to comb my hair except on wash days and my strands are fine to medium. I get my fair share of single strand knots and I'm trying to be mindful of them, but I think the problem is my hair is splitting so far up the strand it is increasing the knots.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Umm Ebraheem

Striving4perfection86

people are gonna ask for you to post a detailed version of your regime so they can try to see where your going wrong. Have you always had these problems, if not when did they start?

LunadeMiel

I have the same problem. Once I started wearing my hair straight more the numbers have diminished. For me, ssks were causing the midshaft splits.

Umm Ebraheem

I rarely blow dry. I use heat about once a year at most. I also don't have a very strict regimen. I usually wash and condition once a week (most times with a deep mosture conditioning), sometimes I go a little longer if I'm being lazy. I did have some damage from not conditioning enough after I colored my hair a couple of years ago, but I figured the damage from that would be gone by now.

I guess my problem is that for some reason I get what I think it an excessive amount of splits on my hair shaft and I'm not sure if it is something I'm doing or not doing. I've recently started using more protein conditions because I thought that might be it. I'm at a loss. I can pull on a strand and look at it closely and I find that at some point on the strand my hair has basically a hole in it. I can clearly see where it is split but the split is on the end.