Split ends and Single strand knots only around the perimeter?

Samoneisthebest

I am currently in 3 month old micro braids (i know i know, I will be taking them out soon). I took out two braids that are on the very last row on the nape of my neck. The ends were kind of rough.The section had about a centimeter of split-ends so I snipped it. There are still single strand knots present but I don't think I'm going to snip those until I have reached my short term goal of BSL.

I often re-braid the row of braids that is closest to my forehead and the hair there is usually in the same shape as the hair on my nape. About a centimeter of splits and a few single strand knots.

I took out two more braids this time from about the third row from the back. The ends were in perfect shape, no splits nor single strand knots.

I did my first search and destroy at the end of December and I'm positive that even then my perimeter is where my worst splits were. I'm going to inspect some more sections to see how the ends look.

Do you find that you have the most splits and single strand knots around the perimeter of your hair?

faithVA

I do get more SSKs on the perimeter. The hair along the edges are finer. They seem to lose moisture faster probably because they are more exposed?

I snip them every now and then but in the nape, they return within 48 hours of snipping so I don't do anything drastic. Even my twists tangle a lot, I know that it is time to dust and I only dust what feels really bad. I figure as my hair grows out and I have more styling options it will be easier to keep these areas stretched and moisturized.

I remember a thread on split ends and I went to search for them. But my hair is sooo fuzzy that my entire head looks like one big split end. So I gave up. :lol:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Probably from the friction. It rubs against clothes, the collar of your coat, hat, etc etc. It is really delicate and you have to be very gentle and baby it.