Split hairs

I've been noticing split ends at the front of my hairline but no where else so I figured it may have to do with them getting extra friction since they're only a couple of inches long and are more or less natural unlike the rest of my hair, so I've just been cutting them off as I see them. but lately I've been seeing longer relaxed hairs that are splitting or separating only in the middle of the hair shaft with no splits at the ends. The other day i pulled out a hair that looked like someone had sliced a hole in the middle of it like -----<==>------ and just now I shed a hair that was frayed along the middle, like the way leaf stems jut out from the main stem of a flower, that's how this hair looked. The hair with the hole freaked me out a little but I just figured it was a fluke but now that I've seen this other hair I don't know what's going on and I'm sure there are more I haven't seen yet. I haven't had split ends in years, the last time I remember was in high school (that was a bad case) so I don't know whats going on right now. Could it have something to do with my diet? I've been getting ready for finals and as a result have been neglecting meals everynow and then for the last couple of weeks. I didn't even know hair splits in the middle.

Appreciate any help/info/whatever