• We will be upgrading the forum, gallery and blogs with the latest versions of the software we use. This will cause some disruption. We will however try our best to minimize it. The maintenance will start the first week of May 2022 and will continue until all upgrades are completed (both software and hardware). Thank you for your understanding.

Spotted Lanternfly

King of Sorrow

Annoying things! It seems right now is their mating season and they've come out in full force trying to get lucky. I saw my first one two weeks ago and thought it was cute but today there were at least six of them and now they're looking no better than a palmetto bug. They've been crawling all over my window screen and getting into my apartment and I'm sick of them!

King of Sorrow

Cute? You should be killing them on sight; that is your civic duty. :look:

That was the first time I saw one. Now, it's on sight! :mad:

But these suckers are hard to kill. My kill to sighting ratio is embarrassing. I want one of those vacuum guns the little kids are using and seem to be having success with.

We all need to do our part in suppressing these things 'cause I can't imagine how much worse it could get in New York if they get further established.

beloved1bx

Ugh, I heard it's their mating season. They have no natural predators to keep their population in check.

I've been seeing a lot of them for the last 2 months, so I don't even know what it's going to be like now that they are mating. I work on the 81st floor and I see them flying around outside the windows! KILL. THEM. ALL.

[email protected]@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Cute? You should be killing them on sight; that is your civic duty. :look:

Oh, I saw one of these yesterday (the first pic). I was wondering if it was a lantern fly. My thing is that I'm scared of squishing bugs. They are icky, but ickier when smushed. Please don't stone me :duck:

kcbelle925

I was in Harlem over the weekend and standing under the state building for shade from the sun. I saw one but didn't want to squish it because...gross. I was going to tell the security guard but he was busy chatting on the phone and looked of no help. Then I looked around and saw at least saw ten crawling all over the side of the building. I got the heebie jeebies just looking at them. I wasn't trying to get attacked so I sauntered away. I rather get burned by the sun. I was on the phone talking to my sister and told her I would call 311 to report it but then ran into a friend and forgot all about it. Until now. That was my first time seeing any and the fact it was so many of them...ugh!!!

King of Sorrow

I was in Harlem over the weekend and standing under the state building for shade from the sun. I saw one but didn't want to squish it because...gross. I was going to tell the security guard but he was busy chatting on the phone and looked of no help. Then I looked around and saw at least saw ten crawling all over the side of the building. I got the heebie jeebies just looking at them. I wasn't trying to get attacked so I sauntered away. I rather get burned by the sun. I was on the phone talking to my sister and told her I would call 311 to report it but then ran into a friend and forgot all about it. Until now. That was my first time seeing any and the fact it was so many of them...ugh!!!
Ugh! I would have felt itchy for the rest of the day if I saw that many crawling around the same area. :pullhair: I can take them on one at a time but more than that....

The security guard probably would have done nothing and you saved yourself from getting a side eye. Lol

The first time I saw one I reported it to the NYS dept of Agriculture's website, but I've seen so many articles and newscasts about their being NYC that I haven't submitted any additional ones. I feel like it's mainly valuable in areas where their spread is not yet known or when their eggs are found en mass near parks, forests, and agricultural land.

I do need to check with my building's super to know if he's monitoring for their eggs because there have been a lot of them around the building lately and management has not said a thing.