Spring Time, Everyday - 4/19/07

Nice & Wavy

#yiv1894373861 st1\:*{}​
April 19, 2007
Spring, Everyday!
Psalm 96:1-2, “Oh sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth!
…tell of his salvation from day to day.” (ESV)
Devotion:
It does not matter what part of the country I am living in during winter. Whether the temperatures have just dipped below freezing or I have endured a deep freeze for months, I always eagerly anticipate spring! I try very hard to be upbeat all winter, keeping my grumbling to myself. Staying positive during dreary days is difficult for me. Gray skies, cold air, wind, and short days depress me.

On the other hand, when sunshine peaks through the clouds and warm breezes penetrate my skin, my mood changes immediately. The truth is that I have a hard time persevering through winter months. I wish it were spring all year long.

Why do I like spring? I like new life. I can’t help but open my eyes with a smile when birds’ songs announce a new day. The smell of fresh wet dirt just after a good rain causes me to breathe life back into my wilting soul. Maybe it is the call of the wild or a basic instinct to start tilling, I am not sure. I just know that I thrive on all things in the spring.

When I first notice the flowers pushing through the dark dirt, I cannot contain myself. I become a fan cheering for the team of flowers that has fought the miraculous fight – popping out of a hard seed in a deep and dark place, forcing their way up though the cold soil, eventually tasting the bright rays of sunshine, and finally blooming in all their glorious color. Clapping and jumping, I announce to my neighbors and friends, “Another spring is here. The flowers are blooming again. Look at them. They are more glorious than ever!”

Guess what? I have great news! In God’s economy every day is spring! Listen to what He says:

2 Corinthians 5:17 , “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.” (NASB)

Colossians 3:10, “… put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge, according to the image of the One who created him.” (NASB)

2 Corinthians 5:18-20: “The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him … God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. We're Christ's representatives.” (MSG)

How can I make everyday like spring?

• Celebrate my salvation. Praise God everyday with new songs that tell of His love and new life.

• Be intentional every day to be renewed. Make it a priority to become deeply acquainted with God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Learn something new about Him every day!

• Be an ambassador. Share the good news daily, either through good deeds or saving words. Ask for God’s guidance.

Winter’s time is drawing to a close for now. It will return all too soon. Yet it doesn’t matter if you are prepared to celebrate new life every day of the year. Maybe you don’t feel like spring, but instead you are stuck in winter. Even though winter’s soil is hard and frozen, allow your heart to be tilled by God’s Word. Then go forth and cast the seeds that are able to come to life even in the darkest of times.

Dear Lord, thank you that every day You shower Your new mercies down on those You love. Help me to always see the new thing You are doing in my life. Give me wisdom and strength to respond in a way that would please and glorify You. In Jesus’ Name, I pray. Amen.