Stay Natural '09 Challenge

NappturalWomyn

Hi there. I know I am kind of new, so I hope starting a challenge is OK. I saw the thread for the stay natural '08 challenge. So, I decided to keep it going. This is the official:

I have been natural for 19 months. My hair is now shoulder length, did a recheck. It shrinks up to my neck when wet in the back, and my jaw in the front. I am a mix of 4a and 4b.

I am doing low manipulation styles, as twists just didn't work for me. I bought a boatload of phony ponytails, etc. and I am to go. I would never give up being natural and I hope others will join me.

Rules: No change from '08. Do not perm or texturize. Buy whatever you need, but remember staples first (shampoo, conditioner, leave in, styling products). Try to stay within your means. We can be napptural and ecomonical at the same time.

Do what you will to keep your hair together. Hopefully, this can be support thread as well to keep each other moitvated and napptural.

To help others, here is my regimen.
1. Deep condition with henna and herb mix (added eggs and mayo) for 1 hour using samanthajones' $6 steamer treatment.
2. Rinse out and use shampoo bar to cleanse.
3. Use AO White Camellia conditioner and leave in.
4. At this point, pull back into ponytail and apply phony pony.
At night, I braid up my hair into plaits to sleep.
When I wake up, I spritz with water and add some Giovanni leave in/QB OHHB to style. I don't really put anything on my scalp, but I use coconut oil to protect my ends.
I repeat the process weekly. It doesn't take more than 2 hours altogether.
For me, less is definitely more.
peace.
nik

SignatureBeauty

WONDERFUL!!! I AM SO IN!!!

I have been Natural Off & On for 5 years so now is the time to let it shine in 09!

My Regimen:
Shampoo with Shampoo Bar 1-2x's a week
Deep Condition Weekly
Apply Giovanni Direct Leave In Daily after a Spritz of Distilled Water

My hair does not like alot of products and it took me awhile to learn that, I kept using butters, oils etc. and my hair would stay rough & dry & hard. but now it stays soft all day. But I am in a Twa so that will be subject to change in the future Maybe LOL!!

Lei*Lei

This is a cute challenge...i'll join you!

I've been natural for 8 months (since April 2008).

I wear alot of half wigs and buns since i am trying to retain as much growth as possible.

My regimen consists of co-washing everynight, Dc1-2x a week, and bunning under my half wig. I don't really use anything on my hair except for regular conditioner as a moisturizer/leave in and maybe some gel.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I'm wearing LaceFronts to retain length until I can get to ponytail length. I am working out daily now so I need a low mani-style.

I wash / DC / Braid once per week.

I plan to straighten and get a trim by the end of this month.

runwaydream

im in.
i plan on staying in braids for awhile tho. but im using oct/mt every other night and i wash and deep condition every week. ill redo my braids every two months.

NewYorkgyrl

I'm in of course.

My weekly routing is:
Pre-poo oil
Shampoo
Deep Condition
Leave in

Then twist my hair. I leave it in for the week and then wear a twist out on the weekends (Friday night/Saturday/Sunday). Sometimes I might decide to keep the twists in for up to 2-3 weeks when I get really busy with school and studying.

I rarely straighten. But may decide to give it a try this year....maybe 4x total for 2009.

Ramya

I'm in! I'm newly natural. My hair is 2 inches long and I wear wash-n-gos everyday lol There's not too much else I can do with it other than wear my wig :lol:

ToyToy

I'm in! I've been natural for almost three years. I don't have much of a regimen. I've been keeping my hair in braids for almost a year and plan on keeping it that way (C&G). This has helped me retain length and has kept my split ends and knots at bay. My hair is in much better condition since I started braiding it.

Sugar Brown

Count me in. I've been natural for about two years. My hair is healthier than ever.

I wash and/or deep rinse and deep condition 2x per week. I wear my hair in twist-outs all year round. I'm planning to straighten once or twice in 2009.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been natural for about 3.5 years. This won't be a challenge for me... this will be a lifelong dedication for me. Natural for 2009 and beyond... for life! :weird:

Soliel185

Joining the challenge!

I'm about 3 wks away from my 1 yr post anniversary and I plan to keep transitioning through 2009.

The only stable things in my routine are Generic Nexxus Aloe Rid from Sally's, Coconut Oil, and Megatek. I DC with a mix of con, Jherri Redding 100% protein, SAA, Sodium PCA, Rice Bran Oil, baking soda, citric acid and salt when I take out my weaves (I'm on my second)

I plan to keep wearing weaves until this summer. :yep:

adf23

I'm in as well :yep: I BC'd less than a month ago- looking forward to taking care of my natural hair this year and beyond.

Fhrizzball

I thought I joined but I guess not. Is it too late? I'm too lazy to do relaxers so I don't see myself returning to them. Maybe though this challenge can help me find a regime suitable. I'm about 1.5 years natural. It came about on accident so that's a rough estimate.

Honey-Dip

You can count me in! I BC'd December 2008 adn my last relaxer was 11/26/2007. I wear a lot of low-mani styles like puffs, twistouts and I am thinking of getting a half wig :look::yep:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I am in. I am not fully natural but I am considering transitioning. Even if I dont remain natural I wont relax this year. But I need all the support I can get. Please help me make help me.

Sugarhoneyicetea

I'm in! I'm newly natural (9 months post) and recently BC. I'm still getting used to the changes my hair is going through but don't think it will be hard to avoid the temptation of a relaxer or even flat iron anytime soon because I love how my new hair feels and wish I went natural a long time ago. I don't have a set regimen aside from pre-poo before every wash/co-wash, washing every other week, alternating between conditioning and deep conditioning every week and air drying with Cantu shea butter mixed with EO and EVCO. I wear my hair in twists under a wig everyday and plan to through the entire year. My staples right now are Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, EVCO, EVOO, QP Mango Butter, Hawaiian Silky, a mix of EO for my pre-poo and Cantu Shea Butter. I'm still trying out products(PJ) but the above products are the ones my hair loves so far.

FAMUDva

13 months post... I'm in. (if I can remember to post :look:)

Buns right now, but that changes with how I feel on any given day.

Anashja

Add me to this challenge. I'm in kinky twists, but plan to come out for a whole month for my hair anniversary (MAY!) ... I cant wait.

anilove

i'd like to join i just did the b.c today my last relaxer was nov 4th 08 and just want to grow healthy hair...