STEAM TREATMENT Challenge!!! COME ON IN!!!!

Lucky's Mom

Hey Ladies!

I am really excited to start this challenge... We have had a few ladies sing the praises of this - and let me tell you - I am a believer...........:lick:

So - Some are Asking - "what 's the big Deal????" - Well here are some of the benefits of STEAMING.........................

Benefits of Steam Treatments - ZERO TANGLES and NO POOF.
According to Diane DeCosta and many others the benefits of steam conditioning are the following:
- the scalp is invigorated
- the water vapors open the outer layer of the hair shaft with moisture, allowing the conditioner to penetrate deeply into the cuticle layer.
- it promotes hair growth
- it is especially good for those with locs, natural hair, and color-treated hair:drunk:
* Adds Luster
*Adds Shine
*Helps Seal in Moisture to help reduce breakage ( MANY ladies complain about ENDLESS Dryness on their Tresses)
*Helps seal in color to reduce color retardation
* Add Body
*Helps Smooth Cuticles
* Helps with Reversion on natural hair.... The cuticle is already swollen with moisture.
* Hair feels SILKY smooth - and "hangs" with weight.

DID I say - It promotes GROWTH?????

- Be Careful though - Depending on your hair type - you don't want to overdo it. For my hair once a month should be fine. Some do it every two weeks.... They may have a curlier texture.

The largest benefits for me....
NO POOF in humidity
NO tangles in the final rinse.
NO Dryness - even after a flat iron attacked me :lachen:No need for a baggy, etc after this... Even days later.....

I think that the pluses are endless................LET'S GROW TO GREAT Lengths!!!

So here is the Challenge!!!!!!

*WARNING*

Consider your hair Type and routine..... You don't want SETBACKS!!!! If you are natural - Please let us know..... Naturals tend to need a bit more moisture than Relaxed, as the relaxed girls - may not only need moisture - but protien - and lotssss of it. Again - you must consider your hair type, regimen, etc....

OVER MOISTURIZING can lead to other problems... so Tread carefully - Once per month or for some - Bi- weekly could be just fine..... YOu should not do this Weekly - hey unless you know - that your hair can handle it!!!

You can do any style ( Blow dry, Flat iron, Twists, shingling, and the like )with this treatment.....I usually only do this on SHAMPOOED hair... - so - post poo..
Every style will be supple - soft - and frizz will be dramatically reduced....

Even those with Braids can do this!!!

RULES & Tools:

1. here is what you need:
    http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215663&highlight=home+steam and............. If you have a steamer ( congratulations!!!)
  2. Name
  3. Natural or relaxed?
  4. Bi-Weekly or monthly???
  5. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! :orders:This is an ORDER LADIES!!! If you are doing your treat every two weeks - please let us see the beauty - then you can update us whenever you wanna....
  6. Talk to us about how your hair feels in b/t treats!!!:spank:Dont Skip this!!!
  7. You may steam with DC's - Hot oils, etc... Let us know!
    AFTER STEAMING - SPRAY your hair with cold water - To seal your Cuticle - VERY important!
  8. This will last 6 months.....April 10 - Oct 10
  1. We will party after this!!!

:band2: You ladies totally ROCK!!!!
Here are more threads about Steam................

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=213639&highlight=steamers

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=4215709#post4215709

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215967&highlight=steam+treatments

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=211923&highlight=steam+treatments

Challengers:

Samanthajones67
IssiDoll
SunshineBeautiful
Tiffers
TooTrendy
LaManda
MissAlyssa
inneedofhairapy
MedMunky
Tishee

Last edited:

issidoll

You know I'm in!!!:yep::yep::yep:

Issy
I am transitioning and my hair gets very dry - 3c/4a
I will steam fortnightly.
Next steam is due 20th April 2008.
My hair feels soft, silky and so moisturised - especially my NG.
DCing - Nexxus Humctress

Pics to follow I promise Miss Jones!

Last edited:

Platinum

Thats sounds great! Does sitting outsie in Florida humidity count as steaming?:look: Just kidding. I'm going to have to try to work this into my schedule somehow so I can join this challenge. I drive trucks and I'm wearing Kinky Twists. What would you suggest? Subscribing...

Lucky's Mom

Thats sounds great! Does sitting outsie in Florida humidity count as steaming?:look: Just kidding. I'm going to have to try to work this into my schedule somehow so I can join this challenge. I drive trucks and I'm wearing Kinky Twists. What would you suggest? Subscribing...

You can steam in the twists!!!!

Go for it!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'm in! But let me make sure I have all of the steps straight

1) Wash hair
2) Put on conditioner and cover with towels and bags
3) Get under dryer for 30 mins
4) Before washing out conditioner, spray head with cool water

Step 4 is the one that I'm most confused by. Do you spray your hair with water before or after washing out the conditioner? :confused:

What would happen if you do this once a week instead of bi-weekly or monthly? Would it cause heat damage or something? Can you stay under the dryer for longer than 30 minutes, or is 30 minutes the absolute maximum?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do it right :yep:

Lucky's Mom

see below

I'm in! But let me make sure I have all of the steps straight

1) Wash hair
2) Put on conditioner and cover with towels and bags
3) Get under dryer for 30 mins
4) Before washing out conditioner, spray head with cool water

Step 4 is the one that I'm most confused by. Do you spray your hair with water before or after washing out the conditioner? :confused:

That's Right...Before Rinsing - this will help to seal the Cuticle for me...... I do this anyways once I am done rinsing in the shower, I do a final rinse with Distilled water.

What would happen if you do this once a week instead of bi-weekly or monthly? Well - you don't wanna Over moiturize... could make your hair too mushy...

Would it cause heat damage or something? Can you stay under the dryer for longer than 30 minutes, or is 30 minutes the absolute maximum? - I guess you could stay under for longer. I think I was under for an hour...

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do it right :yep:

NO Problemo

sunshinebeautiful

I'm in. I can't believe I'm joining a hair challenge... :look:

I'm relaxed.

I'm still waiting on my steamer to arrive *doing cabbage patch* so I'll have to see how often to do the treatments. I may start off with monthly.

Should we add before and after pics?

tiffers

Name - tiffers
Natural or relaxed?- relaxed 4 something (I think)
Bi-Weekly or monthly???- bi -weekly
How my hair feels- Wiry and kinda dry :perplexed
Next treatment- April 23

I just did a treatment tonight and I'm airdrying so I don't wanna say anything too soon. But so far so good :up: I'm gonna experiment with different oils and conditioners because I get bored with the same routine pretty quick, so I like to switch things up by trying different products :grin:

Last edited:

Forever in Bloom

I'm in :grin:

1. Name - tootrendy19
  2. Natural or relaxed? - NATURAL 4a/3c, my hair is crazy :spinning:
  3. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? - bi-weekly (but really depending upon if my hair needs it or not :rolleyes:)
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! :orders: Ay ay captain! (see #6)
  5. How my hair feels: Soft and fluffy (last time used Lush's Jasmin & Henna Fluff Eaze on my hair and Ovation Cell Therapy on my scalp on April 4, 2008 - sadly no pics were taken :nono: Now that there's a challenge, I will be on it!)
  6. Next Treatment - April 18, 2008

LaManda

Heck yeah...count me in!!!!:grin: My bday is Saturday and I am ordering a hair steamer as my bday gift to myself. I will use the towel/cap steaming method until hair steamer arrives.

My name is LaManda. I am 4a/4b relaxed but strongly considering tranisitioning.:perplexed I will do steam treatments biweekly.

I became interested in steam treatments through my aunt, she lives in Atlanta, GA. She has been transitioning since July 2007 and her hair is FIERCE. She visits a salon biweekly for steam treatments; she SWEARS the steam treatments have improved the health of her hair and is making her transition much easier.

Well you know I had to visit the salon. I was 6 weeks post at the time and the experience was great. My hair was swinging....excuse me....swangin'.... with great shine!!!

Of course I want these results at home....thanks Samantha J for starting this challenge.:yep:

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

I'm in :grin:

1. Name - tootrendy19
  2. Natural or relaxed? - NATURAL 4a/3c, my hair is crazy :spinning:
  3. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? - bi-weekly (but really depending upon if my hair needs it or not :rolleyes:)
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! :orders: Ay ay captain! (see #6)
  5. How my hair feels: Soft and fluffy (last time used Lush's Jasmin & Henna Fluff Eaze on my hair and Ovation Cell Therapy on my scalp on April 4, 2008 - sadly no pics were taken :nono: Now that there's a challenge, I will be on it!)
  6. Next Treatment - April 18, 2008

Heck yeah...count me in!!!!:grin: My bday is Saturday and I am ordering a hair steamer as my bday gift to myself. I will use the towel/cap steaming method until hair steamer arrives.

My name is LaManda. I am 4a/4b relaxed but strongly considering tranisitioning.:perplexed I will do steam treatments biweekly.

I became interested in steam treatments through my aunt, she lives in Atlanta, GA. She was been transitioning since July 2007 and her hair is FIERCE. She visits the salon biweekly for steam treatments; she SWEARS the steam treatments have improved the health of her hair and is making her transition much easier.

Well you know I had to visit the salon. I was 6 weeks post at the time and the experience was great. My hair was swinging....excuse me....swangin'.... with great shine!!!

Of course I want these results at home....thanks Samantha J for starting this challenge.:yep:

Welcome ladies! I think this will be wonderful!

:lick:

AfroKink

Natural - 4b or cnapp or somthing like that
I'll be doing bi-weekly treatments. I'll just be doing a water steam (not added oils or condish) for now.
pics in album in my profile.

Lys

shocol

Count me in,

RULES & Tools:
  1. Tools - towel/plastic cap/soft bonnet dryer
  2. Name - Shocol
  3. Natural or relaxed? Natural
  4. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? Weekly
  5. You may steam with DC's - Steam w/DC on dry hair

InNeedofHairapy

Umm..I will happily jump on this bandwagon once I find out where I can get an at home steamer from

ETA: I'm in...I'll just do it the samantha way until I can find that darned steamer.

InNeedofHairapy

Transitioning (16 months post) I don't know my hair type..that whole thing confuses me..I think i'm a 3c/4a...maybe

Bi-Weekly treatments w/ 10 en 1 or something yummy
Will take a before steam/after steam pic this weekend

I've only had one steam treatment years ago, and I loved the experience. It was done after a horrible relaxer result at another salon (that same day) the guy who did it washed my hair again, put nexxus humectress in my hair, and steamed me for 30 minutes. Rinsed the condish out and put something awapuhi in my hair, and let me air dry...I tell you, I had the fattest, juiciest curls, that you would not believe. If I got the appearance of healthy hair from a steam treatment, then I wonder how my now healthy hair would respond to treatment. I can't wait....

anyone who has a steamer already that is willing to give up some info on where they got it...I'd appreciate it...tia!

Last edited:

MissMasala5

Wow, this is so interesting! I have a shower steamer, does my hair have to be covered with towel+ plastic to get the maximum benefits, or can I just leave my head alone and sit in the steam as usual?

tiffers

Alrighty.... I don't know if the treatment took full effect because after 45 minutes under the dryer, I took the towels and bags off of my head, and there was no steam. Samantha, is there supposed to be steam, or is it okay if there's no steam?

Anywho, I'm very happy with my results! Before the treatment, my hair sounded like straw when I scrunched it together. But now it just has a slight sound, like stepping on grass or something. My hair feels really light, airy, and bouncy. And I can't stop playing with my newgrowth, it feels so soft and moisturized!

I'm counting down the hours till my next treatment, can't wait!

morehairplease

1. tishee
2. natural, twa
3. bi-weekly
4. see avatar for pics
5. I did my first steam treatment Monday and my hair is soft to the touch and has stayed moisturized longer. I am contributing this to the steam treatment b/c I did not use any new products other that the steam treatment.
6. For now, I will be steaming with a layer of Silk2 moistec co & Pantene breakage defense mask for 30 minutes every two weeks. After my steam treatments I rinse, pat dry, apply leave in and moisturizer.

Lucky's Mom

Wow, this is so interesting! I have a shower steamer, does my hair have to be covered with towel+ plastic to get the maximum benefits, or can I just leave my head alone and sit in the steam as usual?

no caps needed - Congrats on having a STEAMER in the house!:yep:

Lucky's Mom

Alrighty.... I don't know if the treatment took full effect because after 45 minutes under the dryer, I took the towels and bags off of my head, and there was no steam. Samantha, is there supposed to be steam, or is it okay if there's no steam?

Anywho, I'm very happy with my results! Before the treatment, my hair sounded like straw when I scrunched it together. But now it just has a slight sound, like stepping on grass or something. My hair feels really light, airy, and bouncy. And I can't stop playing with my newgrowth, it feels so soft and moisturized!

I'm counting down the hours till my next treatment, can't wait!

Maybe you wont see it - But hey - it still happened!
Congrats!:look:

Forever in Bloom

I found this article on a blog and it's pretty much stating some things we may know already, but I did not know that we should use distilled water :blush: Where have I been? I guess this is why my Conair Infiniti Steam Straightener says the same thing...

"A hair steamer uses distilled water, which goes into the tank at the back and the water used is collected in a bottle at the front. Distiiled water is used to protect the inside of the machine from furring up with calcium deposits which can ruin it, this helps to prolong the life of the steamer and keep it functioning effectively."

For the full article, visit:
http://www.beautyhealthzone.blogspot.com/2006/08/steaming-hair-great-way-to-add.html

Ms.Honey

1. Name-Ms. Honey
  2. Natural or relaxed?-Natural
  3. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? Bi-weekly or more
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!!-yes ma'am
  5. Talk to us about how your hair feels in b/t treats!!!:spank:Dont Skip this!!! Yikes!!!
  6. You may steam with DC's - Hot oils, etc... Let us know!
    AFTER STEAMING - SPRAY your hair with cold water - To seal your Cuticle - VERY important!-Will use aPhogee Balance Moisturizer and maybe Fantasia IC gel and oil scalp. Can I use the cool setting on my hair dryer instead of spritzing with cold water?
  7. This will last 6 months.....April 10 - Oct 10-I'm about to do it in a few
  8. We will party after this!!!-Whoohooooa

Lucky's Mom

I found this article on a blog and it's pretty much stating some things we may know already, but I did not know that we should use distilled water :blush: Where have I been? I guess this is why my Conair Infiniti Steam Straightener says the same thing...

"A hair steamer uses distilled water, which goes into the tank at the back and the water used is collected in a bottle at the front. Distiiled water is used to protect the inside of the machine from furring up with calcium deposits which can ruin it, this helps to prolong the life of the steamer and keep it functioning effectively."

For the full article, visit:
http://www.beautyhealthzone.blogspot.com/2006/08/steaming-hair-great-way-to-add.htmlhttp://www.beautyhealthzone.blogspot.com/2006/08/steaming-hair-great-way-to-add.html

Distilled water should be used only....thanks for this!!!

Ms.Honey

Hey Sam, you've got to send an invite to Curlscience, Suerte and the other Divas from the original post who got us started:yep:.