STILL don't know if I need protein or moisture

Phoenix

I have a confession to make...I still don't understand this whole protein vs. moisture thing. Thanks to Sistaslick and others here for providing very detailed explanations....put if haircare was a high school, I think I'd be in the "special" class.

So, I've been pulling, stretching, feeling, and snapping strands of my hair trying to determine its strength and elasticity. But, I feel like I need to compare it to someone's hair I KNOW is strong and healthy. I don't know if I'm pulling too hard or not hard enough. I don't know how much stretching of the strand is too much (indicating that I need protein). I don't know how much pulling healthy hair should be able to sustain before breaking.

Basically, I feel like I need a visual example to use as a reference. Would anyone be willing to post a clip of you testing your hair's strength and elasticity? Or maybe somone can suggest another way to determine if I need protein vs. moisture. Any advice would be appreciated...I'm really confused :ohwell:

Radianthealth

I think I have the hang of it, but I don't know how to explain it any better than it has already been explained. I can pretty much touch my hair and feel what it needs. I like the fact that I am able to "diagnose" my hair and do what "it tells me to do"

Hair Peace

Another one for the special bus...I'm starting to think my hair never needs any protein. The minute I do a protein treatment, it's breaking again...and I waited forever to do one.

Hair Peace said:
Another one for the special bus...I'm starting to think my hair never needs any protein. The minute I do a protein treatment, it's breaking again...and I waited forever to do one.
I have the same exact problem so I've decided to lay off the protein and focus on moisture. My hair hates that hair mayo and I've had mixed results with Aphogee. Someone save me a seat on that short yellow bus.

Cleve_gryl

growwithme said:
I have the same exact problem so I've decided to lay off the protein and focus on moisture. My hair hates that hair mayo and I've had mixed results with Aphogee. Someone save me a seat on that short yellow bus.

I've also got a seat on the short bus...I want to know the difference between needing protein/moisture but I just don't know. All I know is I saw MAJOR breakage after doing a pre poo with ORS Mayo...may have left it on too long though :confused: An hour?

GoingNatural

This thread just proves there is no such thing as a "stupid" question, you may think your alone,but as soon asyou pose the question you realize you aren't on the special bus alone! I'm definitely in the front seat of the bus

I don't know if my hair needs protein, but I hear about people doing them and their hair getting hard and breaking off. I just feel like if my hair is moisturized won't it get stronger? I just don't get it.

LynnieB

know wha? here's what i do..

if i touch my hair, especially the ends and they feel dry or look dry, i grab the moisturizing conditioner and a bonnet dryer.

if i'm combing my hair and the comb or brush grabs a few strands and they keep stretching and stretching or if my hair feels "weird" like rubbery - i'd lay off the moisture and grab some protein.

if i saw a bunch of broken little hair pieces on my shoulders, sink or table, i'd feel my hair was lacking for moisture and try that first but if the moisture doesn't improve the situation, i'd try something with some protein.

GoingNatural

Question: I keep seeing that protein is a reconstructor for the protein lost from chemical process...so if I am natural and am not using color will I ever have to worry about doing a protein treatment?

Sistaslick

GoingNatural said:
Question: I keep seeing that protein is a reconstructor for the protein lost from chemical process...so if I am natural and am not using color will I ever have to worry about doing a protein treatment?

It all depends on the person. There are some relaxed heads that don't like much protein and do not respond well to protein treatments in their regimens. While you won't require protein supplementation to counteract the effects of chemical relaxers and coloring, there are other types of hair trauma that protein reinforcement can help. (For example, photochemical damage from the sun's UV rays, mechanical types of damage from brushing/combing, faulty hair tools, etc.) Those types of stress can benefit from a balance of protein and moisture. You probably won't need as much protein in your regimen as someone who is relaxed/color treated but it may still be helpful for you.

Here's a thread about this: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=102155&highlight=photochemical