Stinky Scalp

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Hey ladies!

On Monday I did a CO wash, applied Salerm 21, Ego Boost on my ends, sprayed some Surge on my scalp and rubbed a little Lotion Motion #9 through my hair. Then I blow dried and then flat ironed my roots using a little shea butter mix (bee's wax, evoo and lavender eo).

Thursday I'm standing at the fax machine and I lifted up my head and I smell a familar smell. I couldn't believe it! It was my scalp! It was smelling like old braids or something. That's what Bergmont and Blue Magic grease did to my scalp and I haven't greased in a year! I don't know.

I dash over to my desk, and started bending my head down and lifting it up real fast to see if I could still smell it:)nuts: crazy I know)and I could...I then scratched my head and smelled my fingers. It was funky! The whole way home on my commuter bus I'm wondering if the person next to me could smell my hair!

I CO washed that night, using the same leave-ins(this time I used the NTM Silk Touch instead of the Salerm) and braided my hair up for a braid out. I'm telling y'all it is starting to smell AGAIN!

I haven't worked out or did anything rigorous to cause my head to sweat.

What gives? I haven't ingested anything out of the ordinary.

I wanted to blame it on the Shea but it has never done me like this. It could be the Surge and shea together. I just know it is terrible. I'm going to do a scalp exfoliation tomorrow night with baking soda and water. Then I'm dong the works(moopoo, deep condish the whole 9!!) and really scrub my scalp.

If you've had funky scalp, what have you done to curb it?

~op~

Last edited:

Dolapo

well, im sure its one or more of the products you used. and yeah, a scalp scrub will definitely help. goodluck!

caligirl

I think you need to thoroughly SHAMPOO your hair before putting any heat on it. Plus, blowdryers and flat irons always make my hair smell. Maybe you could turn down the heat.

kitchen_tician

You may want to try a good clarifying shampoo to help remove any product residue. You also may want to try to use fewer products at one time. It just seems like alot of products and I'm sure it's caused some build-up. :ohwell:

Desert Skye

I had that problem for the longest along with flaky scalp until I used a clarifying shampoo. Once I started using a clarifying shampoo once or twice a month and that smell and flakes went away.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Thank ladies!

Glossy, I do remember your 'unsightly' flakes situation, I'm glad it cleared up.

Hmmm....too many products? You just might be right. Funny thing is, I forgot to mention I also used a heat protectant by Soft 'n Beautiful.... :Lol: I don't flat iron or blow dry that often so when I do I tend to be "over protective" of my precious tresses. My scalp isn't used to the overload of products.

Which products should I cut out? I need my Salerm leave-in....I guess I could leave out the EB and Surge. Use just the heat protectant to blowdry? In fact the Soft 'n Beautiful is being touted as a leave-in conditioner heat protectant. So MAYBE I can cut out the Salerm... :ohwell: Then press with a little of the oil. I can always apply the shea butter a few days later for moisture.

That leaves me with applying the SB heat pro. and the LM#9. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again y'all!

~op~