Stop playing with the Curl!!

CaramelKiss

Ever since I started wearing my hair natural and curly, people have touching my hair. I mean complete strangers, many of them foreigners and so I can't really tell em off, u know, without looking psycho.

I had a man on the bus lean over and touch my hair!!!! Yesterday in my German class as I was talking to the teacher, this Russian girl who sits next to me started playing with my curls. I'm sensitive about my hair as it frizzes up when u play in it, especially since it's natural. It's work putting gel in and what not to get it to look good. Luckily I had a mini spray bottle with me and I was able to reset the area she had touched. At the same time, I have been getting many complients from people with straight hair who tell me they wish they could get their hair to be as curly as mine and so while it's very flattering and makes me feel good, I am still like, stop playing in my hair!! That's something I have reserved only for my hubby.

Anyhow, I know lots of u have had similar experiences and I just needed to vent.

Nina_deF

It's kinda like one one's pregnant and Tom, dick AND Harriet think that it's acceptable to be touching the belly!
I'm like, HEY, That maybe an oven for the kid but it is STILL my body so back the *** up
!

My son has the same problem, people are constantly trying to touch his curls and since he's only 6, he's short and doesn't always see it coming.
But now, after asking me what to do when people put their funky hands on his head, he just shouts
HEY, don't touch my curls, get your OWN!

But then again, CarmelKiss, that might not work for you ...

asha

Our hair is a mystery to a lot of people...it's like they want to be let in on the secret

My hair is relaxed and I had a friend say to me that when I have some new growth she would like to feel it so she can feel what it's like. I was like
yeah I'll get right on that.

Another time..when I got my first relaxer after being natural for two years, another friends exclaimed "wow, next time you go for a touchup I wanna come see what they do...what a transformation" as she has her hands all up in my head.

I tried to explain to her that it's just like doing a perm on straight hair, just in reverse but it was still a secret that I had and she wanted to be let in.

asha

Our hair is a mystery to a lot of people...it's like they want to be let in on the secret

My hair is relaxed and I had a friend say to me that when I have some new growth she would like to feel it so she can feel what it's like. I was like
yeah I'll get right on that.

Another time..when I got my first relaxer after being natural for two years, another friend exclaimed "wow, next time you go for a touchup I wanna come see what they do...what a transformation" as she ran her hands all up in my head.

I tried to explain to her that it's just like doing a perm on straight hair, just in reverse but it was still a secret that I had and she wanted to be let in.

keke

I know how ya feel. I got about the same kinda reaction w/mine when i was wearin bantu knot out style. My mom and some other older women would make nice comments and some maybe wanna feel the hair that kinda thing. LOL. But its allright i aint had many do that to me like they done u but hey. Course this gets me ready for how things are going to be when my hair gets much longer than they all have seen me..or at least remember me to have. lol

CaramelKiss

Thank u Nina, Asha & Keke

Nina, u are too funny! LOL- But good for your son!!

But seriously, sometimes it can get freaky though!!! I mean, we're all human and for goodness sake, it's only hair!!! I find it so disrespectful at times. I wish folks would keep their hands to themselves!! Next time, someone touches my hair, I oughtta rub on theirs!!!

Vent away, girl!! I know how you feel! I have had to tell a few people off lately for touching my hair. LOL!! The funny thing is that some people think you are arrogant for not letting them touch your hair. What is up with that?

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelKiss said:
Thank u Nina, Asha & Keke

Nina, u are too funny! LOL- But good for your son!!

But seriously, sometimes it can get freaky though!!! I mean, we're all human and for goodness sake, it's only hair!!! I find it so disrespectful at times. I wish folks would keep their hands to themselves!! Next time, someone touches my hair, I oughtta rub on theirs!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

CK, I know just how you feel!
Back when I had braids, I lived in a predominantly-white community, and women were constantly shooting out their hands to stroke my hair. Finally, I learned to move my head out of the way (if I could see it coming), raise my arm to block their hand, smile, and ask them, "When you see a white woman whose hair you admire, do you reach out and stroke it? Then please give me the same respect." It gives them pause for thought.

...of course, if these are elderly women, I wouldn't say anything.

Divastate

Vent away! Fortunately I haven't had too many people try to creep their hands into my fro- must be too intimidating lol. I'm forever trying to keep people out of my son's curls though- its quite disrespectful and you can admire someone's hair WITHOUT touching it! If its someone I know I'm not quite so annoyed but most people I don't know where their hands have been yuck

Peachtree

I can relate

Strangers used to always (want to) touch my relaxed hair... yes I was flattered, but I didn't want them to touch my hair nor anything on my body for that matter... goodness, I didn't know where their hands were last nor their intentions, u know?!?! Just admire it from a far... no need to get all "touchy feely" ....

When I was in grade school, kids used to touch my hair, leading me to believe they were admiring it.... then later that day, my mom would find gum in it. Yes, GUM!!! This happened more than once

Now, I don't let anyone touch my hair (no strangers anyway). U just have to be very cautious about folks intentions...