Stop Using Shea Butter And Coconut Oil

kikisf

I just purchased that ebook from Black Curl Magic 30 Day Detox. It basically says LOC is nonsense and to stop using shea butter, castor oil, and coconut oil. water=moisture Has anybody tried this? I am frankly afraid to try it without hearing some positive reviews from people not featured on their website. Let me know!! Have you tried this? Positive or Negative experience? Thank you so much.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just purchased that ebook from Black Curl Magic 30 Day Detox. It basically says LOC is nonsense and to stop using shea butter, castor oil, and coconut oil. water=moisture Has anybody tried this? I am frankly afraid to try it without hearing some positive reviews from people not featured on their website. Let me know!! Have you tried this? Positive or Negative experience? Thank you so much.

I've heard that LOC doesn't make sense but sometimes works for some people. I've never heard of avoiding Shea butter or castor oil. I've heard of protein sensitive heads avoiding coconut oil.

The doctor/trichologist I watched who questioned the LOC method recommends sealing in water and a humectant.

Below is her long video about it (she discusses LOC versus LCO versus sealing in water and a humectant). She says if the humectant is sealed, it prevents the humectant from drawing water out of the hair and serves to keep the hair surrounded by water and moisture. She shares a list of various humectants.

With all of the advice out today, I try to make sure there's a sensible rationale and patch test first. Detoxing and avoiding those three substances might turn out awesomely. Idk! Lol.

Here's the doctor's video. She has a line of products.

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
If using Shea butter works for you use it. If Grease works for you use it. Nobody's tearing me away from Grease. And like I said in the other thread, I am buying me some Shea Butter today after work> OH Kay:afropick: :D. (Been thinking about this Shea Butter all day)

SEALING IS GOOD FOR BLACK GIRLS:afro:

jerseyhaircare

I think it depends on your hair. I'm transitioning and my natural hair was brittle and would shed all the time. I was getting discouraged and planned on perming my hair. I peeped the shea butter thread and decided to use it as a last ditch effort to save my strands. Since then, my hair has turned around-retains moisture, no longer breaks off, plus it looks thicker and shinier. I cut off my relaxed ends and have been enjoying my natural hair for the first time, ever.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

A positive:
Once I learned that water is moisture, I started applying creams and sealants to wet hair instead of dried hair. My hair did a 180 after that. It went from chronically dry to able to retain moisture.

I never avoided coconut oil, Shea butter, or castor oil, though, in the process. So I can't speak to what that might do. Could elevate the whole outcome. Idk. :smile:

FadingDelilah

Like the woman who posted that, I also believe water is the only thing that can truly moisturize hair, however my opinion is that there is nothing wrong with using other products like the ones listed on your hair, as they are used to enhance softness, strength and manageability which water only cannot provide for alot of people.

Btw, I have tried water only and my hair was duller, more porous from washing too frequently (hair started feeling odd. Its hard to explain the feeling but it was strangely gunky feeling, like it was rubbery or something), and it was even more rough than usual after it dried. I'm back to using products on my hair now and I'm never doing water only again. It's a majorly underwhelming technique in my opinion (from my experience).

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Pardon me, just passing through this thread with my Unicorn self, and Shea Made Unicorn hair...

Carry on, Ladies! I'm being silly... see post below.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Here is the link. http://www.aishiastrickland.com/blog/
They say to clarify/cleanse, condition and then apply gel and dry or twist and dry. No oil no products that have oil listed as the first 5 ingredients.
Here is the Facebook page with before and afters.
https://www.facebook.com/30dayhairdetox/

I read two relevant articles. While I see several logical fallacies, I get the overall goal.

So, I wonder what oil-free and Shea butter -free shampoos and conditioners are available for trying this strategy? Looks like only 60 days or so would suffice reveal results (maybe less?).

Evolving78

A positive:
Once I learned that water is moisture, I started applying creams and sealants to wet hair instead of dried hair. My hair did a 180 after that. It went from chronically dry to able to retain moisture.

I never avoided coconut oil, Shea butter, or castor oil, though, in the process. So I can't speak to what that might do. Could elevate the whole outcome. Idk. :smile:
I agree water is the actual moisturizer, and creams and sealants are meant to soften, condition, and seal in the moisture from water. A cream is a mixture of water and oil. It does not hydrate the hair.

kikisf

I read two relevant articles. While I see several logical fallacies, I get the overall goal.

So, I wonder what oil-free and Shea butter -free shampoos and conditioners are available for trying this strategy? Looks like only 60 days or so would suffice reveal results (maybe less?).
I noticed KCKT and KCCC, Deva, Jane Carter and Uncle Funky Daughter.
I use KCKT and KCCC and usually get great hair from that but I do need more moisture than that.
IDK I finally started using shea butter (I couldn't get past the smell) and now I have to go read this.

kikisf

I've heard that LOC doesn't make sense but sometimes works for some people. I've never heard of avoiding Shea butter or castor oil. I've heard of protein sensitive heads avoiding coconut oil.

The doctor/trichologist I watched who questioned the LOC method recommends sealing in water and a humectant.

Below is her long video about it (she discusses LOC versus LCO versus sealing in water and a humectant). She says if the humectant is sealed, it prevents the humectant from drawing water out of the hair and serves to keep the hair surrounded by water and moisture. She shares a list of various humectants.

With all of the advice out today, I try to make sure there's a sensible rationale and patch test first. Detoxing and avoiding those three substances might turn out awesomely. Idk! Lol.

Here's the doctor's video. She has a line of products.

Thank you for this video. I have not watched it all yet but it seems really good.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thank you for this video. I have not watched it all yet but it seems really good.

YW! It's loooooong. I had to watch in stages. I was curious about what an MD/trichologist had to say.

The first half of the video felt like review to me.

The second part presented new-to-me information. She advises lifting or lowering your cuticles, based on your hair's porosity. Interesting.

NaturalShe94

Nonsense. Water contains moisture but no slip. SLIP is so important. I did the whole water and oil only business (before I even knew anything about natural hair care). I retained length but no moisture. And I probably only retained the length because I couldn't wear any styles because the moisture will leave my hair in a day. Not to mention , my hair was frizzy, tangled easily and just not healthy. I use a Shea butter based moisturizer now and an oil (not coconut). Best thing ever. Shea butter is awesome . Wish I started using it a long time ago.

caribeandiva

Human being
This wouldn’t work for my hair. I went years not sealing my hair at all (just using moisturizer) or sealing with light oils and my hair was dry as hell. My hair is super dry and thick. The water was evaporating and leaving my precious strands! Ever since I started the LCO method with water, s-curl and sealing with Shea Butter daily my hair has done a 180! I’m never going back. Not even wild horses could tear me away from my precious LOC/LCO method and Shea Butter!! You gotta do what works for YOUR hair.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Nonsense. Water contains moisture but no slip. SLIP is so important. I did the whole water and oil only business (before I even knew anything about natural hair care). I retained length but no moisture. And I probably only retained the length because I couldn't wear any styles because the moisture will leave my hair in a day. Not to mention , my hair was frizzy, tangled easily and just not healthy. I use a Shea butter based moisturizer now and an oil (not coconut). Best thing ever. Shea butter is awesome . Wish I started using it a long time ago.

What? A Shea-Made Hair Unicorn in hiding?

Britt

I think it depends on your hair. I'm transitioning and my natural hair was brittle and would shed all the time. I was getting discouraged and planned on perming my hair. I peeped the shea butter thread and decided to use it as a last ditch effort to save my strands. Since then, my hair has turned around-retains moisture, no longer breaks off, plus it looks thicker and shinier. I cut off my relaxed ends and have been enjoying my natural hair for the first time, ever.
@jerseyhaircare Do you have thick hair? How do you use the shea butter? It's always been too greasy for me and heavy.... I'm transitioning as well and anything that could soften my new growth would be great.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
This wouldn’t work for my hair. I went years not sealing my hair at all (just using moisturizer) or sealing with light oils and my hair was dry as hell. My hair is super dry and thick. The water was evaporating and leaving my precious strands! Ever since I started the LCO method with water, s-curl and sealing with Shea Butter daily my hair has done a 180! I’m never going back. Not even wild horses could tear me away from my precious LOC/LCO method and Shea Butter!! You gotta do what works for YOUR hair.
That Jheri Juice! Lol yes!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Speaking of which, I have my Shea Butter right here next to me *pats product filled plastic bag* I'm ready to melt this sucka and put it in my DC tonight! I will also grease my scalp with it. After all of that I will seal with Blue Magic. Them knots will be doing the Electric Slide right on out.

jerseyhaircare

@jerseyhaircare Do you have thick hair? How do you use the shea butter? It's always been too greasy for me and heavy.... I'm transitioning as well and anything that could soften my new growth would be great.

My hair is actually fine but when I go natural, it appears thicker. I use it as a sealant. Usually after I wash and dry my hair, I apply the scurl for moisture and seal with the shea butter.

I use a variation of the recipe from the shea butter thread. I tried it once unprocessed and thought shea butter was awful. But after mixing with a few things (olive and coconut oil) with a hand mixer, it becomes a light, airy mix. I also use it for my body-gives it a nice sheen and helps with trapping moisture.

ilong

God's Own
:assimilate::assimilate:
If using Shea butter works for you use it. If Grease works for you use it. Nobody's tearing me away from Grease. And like I said in the other thread, I am buying me some Shea Butter today after work> OH Kay:afropick: :D. (Been thinking about this Shea Butter all day)

SEALING IS GOOD FOR BLACK GIRLS:afro:
:yep:
:assimilate:
I purchased two 25 pound Solid blocks of Shea Butter (white and yellow) two years ago. :D I didn't want to buy those plastic containers with little pieces African shops usually sell. ( I'm afraid some "not so healthy house bug larvae" may be in some of those containers.) I use it to make my Shea butter hair pomade and I use it on my skin, especially in the winter.

Just before Christmas I made 15 containers of whipped Shea Butter/Oil Blend, ranging in sizes from 20oz. to 32 oz and gave them out as gifts. Family and friends had been waiting for me to make another batch, so instead of charging I gave them as Christmas gifts.

I wear wigs in the winter with a satin bonnet covering my hair. Between the bonnet, wig and cold weather my hair absorbs moisture with a fierceness. If I don't splash some water on my hair, put in conditioning and apply my Shea Butter Blend, my hair has a DRY tantrum!

:) Applying oil on hair that hasn't been treated with some time of moisture is a prescription for dry hair. Oil seals in whatever is underneath - so in the case of our hair it's dryness or moisture.

Pardon me, just passing through this thread with my Unicorn self, and Shea Made Unicorn hair...

Carry on, Ladies! I'm being silly... see post below.

:worship2: Kinda' like "Singin' to the unicorn (choir)" :toocool:

No you said it the first time...."Shea Made Unicorn hair".

Water + Lubricant works! Oil, butter, grease is not just a "sealant" its a lubricant!!!
:amen:

My granddaughter has THICK, COARSE hair. When she does the LCO method on her hair its the most beautiful head of natural hair. When she doesn't care for her hair with the LCO method it looks like an overused Brillo/SOS scouring pad

Speaking of which, I have my Shea Butter right here next to me *pats product filled plastic bag* I'm ready to melt this sucka and put it in my DC tonight! I will also grease my scalp with it. After all of that I will seal with Blue Magic. Them knots will be doing the Electric Slide right on out.
:lachen:[/QUOTE]

ilong

God's Own
FYI - Natural85 (another Hair Unicorn) and Shea Butter Mix
There is truth in not melting the Shea Butter. I usually don't melt the shea butter first but one of the batches I made in December 2017, I melted the Shea butter (was tired) and then tried to whip it. It didn't whip as well as the batches where I hadn't melted the Shea butter and the final product is very thick, not light and fluffy (similar to a stick of butter/margarine compared to a soft tube of butter/margarine)

Last edited:

faithVA

Here is the link. http://www.aishiastrickland.com/blog/
They say to clarify/cleanse, condition and then apply gel and dry or twist and dry. No oil no products that have oil listed as the first 5 ingredients.
Here is the Facebook page with before and afters.
https://www.facebook.com/30dayhairdetox/
OK. I looked at the facebook page and since she is speaking mostly of doing wash and goes then the above makes sense. You clarify to remove build up if you have been using heavy products. If not then just shampoo with something that doesn't destroy your curls. Condition.And then apply your gel.That is a typical routine for a wash and go. Some people can get away with putting oil and butter on their hair when they do their wash and go but some can't. If I want to see any curl definition I can use a highly diluted leave-in and a gel and that is it. If I use an oil or a butter my curls separate and frizz and won't clump.

So are you trying to achieve a wash and go regimen.

caribeandiva

Human being
My granddaughter has THICK, COARSE hair. When she does the LCO method on her hair its the most beautiful head of natural hair. When she doesn't care for her hair with the LCO method it looks like an overused Brillo/SOS scouring pad
Are your secretly my grandma? :lol: cuz that’s exactly how my hair is! I don’t know anyone with thicker hair than my family. Hairdressers are baffled! :lol: