Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

ag00

I am so pissed right now but at the same time could laugh or cry. I spent hours on my hair yesterday blowdrying, sectioning, and straightening. Instead of typically using blue magic grease, I used the coconut oil version with dabs of coconut oil. Baaabby when I tell you my straightening was PERFECT, FLOWY, & SILKY!! So happy with the results! So I trimmed and that was fine. I could not find my head wrap for whatever reason so I thought I could use a plastic bag and beenie. Being that I had NO WATER in or on my hair, I didn't think the greenhouse effect would happen. Honey, when I took off my baggie this morning my hair looked like Don King. COMPLETELY reverted. Lmao smh. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am so pissed right now but at the same time could laugh or cry. I spent hours on my hair yesterday blowdrying, sectioning, and straightening. Instead of typically using blue magic grease, I used the coconut oil version with dabs of coconut oil. Baaabby when I tell you my straightening was PERFECT, FLOWY, & SILKY!! So happy with the results! So I trimmed and that was fine. I could not find my head wrap for whatever reason so I thought I could use a plastic bag and beenie. Being that I had NO WATER in or on my hair, I didn't think the greenhouse effect would happen. Honey, when I took off my baggie this morning my hair looked like Don King. COMPLETELY reverted. Lmao smh. Lesson learned.
I would totally cry over that. I'm a big baby when it comes to my hair.

LdyKamz

Been cowahing and bunning everyday this week to get all that good moisture in my hair before I straighten this weekend. My hair was soft and curls were popping all over the place this morning after I cowashed. Hopefully I get smooth results because of this!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Are any of you using growth aides while your hair is straight? I want extra growth, but most of them cause reversion or weigh down my hair :(

LdyKamz

Are any of you using growth aides while your hair is straight? I want extra growth, but most of them cause reversion or weigh down my hair :(
I haven't because last time I tried I was looking like a stringy mess. I used NJoy's growth oil and the first 2 days I was good. After that, nope! I suppose I could skip a few days.

MzRhonda

I just straightenedmy hair for the first time in over 11 yrs. I used the conair blowdryer and my 1"babyliss. I only needed 1 pass and my hair got pretty straight. Being a natural that most ALWAYS uses protective styles, it's weird to see myself with straight hair.

@ajargon02 How do you like that dryer? I have been looking at it but not committed to purchasing yet. Thanks.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I straightened my hair last night with one pass on 300 degrees. It isn't bone straight. It has a fluffy straight texture that'll be perfect for bunning and rollersets. I'm trying to wear my own hair for 3 months, so I will be straightening on a regular basis. This week I used Cream of Nature poo, Maskeratine as a dc and Garnier sleek and shine as a leave in/heat protectant. Next time I will clarify, because my hair seems a bit weighed down.

LdyKamz

I've decided to give in and go to my old stylist every 3-4 months to straighten and trim. I'm comfortable with her and I can tell her what to do with my hair. She has a lot of mouth but I'm not afraid to shut her down and she stops after a while. And her and my mom are friends but she's still afraid of my mom. Lol

caribeandiva

Human being
I've decided to give in and go to my old stylist every 3-4 months to straighten and trim. I'm comfortable with her and I can tell her what to do with my hair. She has a lot of mouth but I'm not afraid to shut her down and she stops after a while. And her and my mom are friends but she's still afraid of my mom. Lol
That's what I've been doing since June. It's working for me. The rest of the time I wear wash and gos.

caribeandiva

Human being
Great growth!!! What's her process if you don't mind sharing? Does she do a wash and set and then straighten and trim. Or does she just blow dry and flat iron?
She shampoos twice and really well. No one scrubs my scalp as thoroughly as she does! She detangles with the conditioner on my hair using a detangling brush. Then she deep conditions under the hooded dryer. After that she blow dries with the round brush and flat irons with Babyliss Pro titanium on maximum heat. She trims as needed. She is the opposite of a scissor happy stylist. I saw her use the Redkin diamond oil before flat ironing but after blow drying.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
View attachment 343087 I trimmed my ends but one side is longer than the other. I'll probably go to the salon for a shaping. I'm not afraid of them chopping my hair off.
Thanks. My hair dresser is afraid to cut my hair. I've known her since I was 10/11(26 now) and last time she saw me her words were "no cut it for you mami, I cannot!" I just hope she cuts enough to actually shape it.

Thanks Taleah2009
@SlimPickinz girl, leave your hair alone! Don't you dare cut it! :naughty:

I agree with your hairdresser...I would be afraid to cut your hair too. It's beautiful just the way it is! :yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Since the last time I've been in this thread, which has been a few years, I've avoided frequent use of the flat iron (down to once or twice a year) and have been wearing primarily braidouts. Recently, I started back blowdrying my hair and have been thinking about re-introducing the flat iron into my routine again for more manageability for my ends. I'm also tired of re-braiding my hair at night and tired of my braidouts turning into a big poofy afro at work...not that I mind, it's just not the look I'm going for at the time. I know a lot of it has to do with not using gel anymore for a more defined braidout but I like how my hair feels without gel. Because of this, I would wear my hair in two flat twists connected in the back to get my hair out of my face. Even though it's low maintenance and protective, wearing this hairstyle makes me feel like a kid and I like wearing my hair down more. My hair is currently in that style right now!

The last time I washed and blowdried my hair was last Sunday December 13th. I might lightly flat iron it tonight or sometime over the next few days. The only concern I have with going back to a routine of straightening my hair is that I run outside 3-4 times a week and don't want my edges and ends to frizz out from the sweat or possible humidity. So if I don't go through with this, I may just go back to using gel for a more defined braidout. I'll see... :drunk:

ag00

The last time I washed and blowdried my hair was last Sunday December 13th. I might lightly flat iron it tonight or sometime over the next few days. The only concern I have with going back to a routine of straightening my hair is that I run outside 3-4 times a week and don't want my edges and ends to frizz out from the sweat or possible humidity. So if I don't go through with this, I may just go back to using gel for a more defined braidout. I'll see... :drunk:

I would say go for it and give yourself a break. Straight hair is lovely. I'm missing mine already. Lol

Last edited:

Taleah2009

I plan to straighten my hair tomorrow for holiday but Christmas eve is talking about 75 degree weather. WTF! A few weeks ago it hit 70 and I flat ironed my hair, by the time I walked out the house my hair was a bush! Ugh.

Can anyone recommend a good humidty blocker? I am also looking into picking up a new serum the Paul Mitchell Skinny one and a new heat protectant

LdyKamz

So I made an appointment with a stylist. I was going to go to my old stylist until I told my mother and she gave me some story about the woman over plucking her eyebrows and saying "I know what I'm doing" when my mother complained. Mind you these 2 are friends. So yeah she scared me right out of going to that woman.

So I made an appointment at the last place I went to get my hair cut and I'm happy with my decision but nervous at the same time. I didn't schedule a "cut" this time - it makes me nervous that they only have "cut" as an option and not "trim" but anyway. I just scheduled a blow dry so I'll let her blow me out and then ask her to flat iron me and see what my ends are looking like since I just trimmed last month. My appointment is next week. I'm nervous!!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I plan to straighten my hair tomorrow for holiday but Christmas eve is talking about 75 degree weather. WTF! A few weeks ago it hit 70 and I flat ironed my hair, by the time I walked out the house my hair was a bush! Ugh.

Can anyone recommend a good humidty blocker? I am also looking into picking up a new serum the Paul Mitchell Skinny one and a new heat protectant
Super Skinny serum is great. I also love Chi silk infusion and Sabino lock and block for blocking humidity. You can start with a good frizz fighting conditioner. I use Kerastase Oleo Relax or Maskeratine (super expensive, but worth it). Loreal smooth intense works just as well and you can find it at most drugstores.

Taleah2009

Super Skinny serum is great. I also love Chi silk infusion and Sabino lock and block for blocking humidity. You can start with a good frizz fighting conditioner. I use Kerastase Oleo Relax or Maskeratine (super expensive, but worth it). Loreal smooth intense works just as well and you can find it at most drugstores.
Thank you!! I'm going to check these out

LdyKamz

I'm new to serums but I love that super skinny serum. I also like it's a 10 silk express smoothing balm. It's wonderful!

Lynn84

I'm heavy handed with products and I love that the super skinny serum doesn't weigh my hair down. It's a keeper!

Beamodel

I truly love super skinny, it's light weight but for my hair it doesn't hold up to the humidity.

KeraCare silken seal is my go to for humidity but it's also heavier than PM Super Skinny

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm trying a new smoothing cream tomorrow. Frizz ease straight fixation was on sale at Target. If I don't like it I'll go back to Garnier Sleek and shine. I'm just getting sick of the smell :eek: