Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

ckisland

Thank you @shtow for sharing your regimen! My regimen is really simple, so I this let's me see that I'm on the right track!

So I washed my hair and didn't straighten. I put my hair into bantu knots and dried under a bonnet dryer. It lasted like a day :rolleyes:. Last night I put my hair in 4 flat twists with rollers. I got so much breakage while setting my hair :cry3: . My hair seems to do so much better when I flatiron it. I'm redoing my hair Saturday and that's what I'm going to do.

ckisland

Hey, I'm considering becoming a blow dry natural, because my hair can take up to 2-3 days to dry in twists and other stretching methods. It doesnt matter if I'm wearing twists that week, but if I want to stretch it out for a different style, that's too long to wait for one style, lol.
How long does it take you to blow out your hair and what method do you use?
It takes me about 15 mins to blowdry my hair now. When my hair was more textured, it took like 25 mins. I use my blowdryer with the concentrator attachment and a denman brush.

BeautifulRoots

When I blow dry my hair with the revlon paddle blow dryer, it takes about 30 minutes. I normally section my hair in 4 sections and then split each section into 2 when I blow dry. Napatural (sp) on YouTube has a great tutorial on how to use the blow dryer. If works best if you hold it vertically because mostly of the air comes out the top. I also toggle it a little at the root to get the roots dry. HTH.

Do you have any tips for cleaning the bristles and paddle area of the revlon brush? Normally I wash my brushes in the sink, but since the blowdry brush doesn't detach from the electrical area, it's harder to clean. Just wondering if someone figured out an efficient way to clean it.

SAPNK

Do you have any tips for cleaning the bristles and paddle area of the revlon brush? Normally I wash my brushes in the sink, but since the blowdry brush doesn't detach from the electrical area, it's harder to clean. Just wondering if someone figured out an efficient way to clean it.
I saw a YouTube video (nappyheadedjojoba) where she mentions using a comb to get the hairs out and then a wet wipe to clean it. Hope that helps.

BeautifulRoots

I saw a YouTube video (nappyheadedjojoba) where she mentions using a comb to get the hairs out and then a wet wipe to clean it. Hope that helps.
Okay, thanks! That's a good idea. I've been using a q tip dipped in alcohol, but it takes forever. A wet wipe sounds more efficient.

ckisland

I dc'd last night with Aphogee 2 min and followed up with my ORS dc, which I never do. I straighten, and my hair came out very soft and light. I wrapped it for bed. When I took it down, I looked like one of those women on the relaxer boxes :lachen:. Only thing is whenever I love my head my hair moves too. . .right into my face and gets stuck in my lip gloss :cry2:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I've been blow-drying my hair because it seems to do a lot better stretched but I've been having problems with reversion. Any tips?

Lylddlebit

I use the Aussie Miracle Curls leave in. It's the same one I was using from before I started blow drying, do you think I need a new one?

Yes. Usually really good "curl" products and humectants are better for natural styles. The ingredients(like the hydroxyethylcellulose) that target making your curls pop are the same ingredients that typically attract moisture from the air and yield reversion. Use a really moisturizing deep conditioner and you switch to a heat protectant that is moisturizing instead that will help you to combat reversion.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Yes. Usually really good "curl" products and humectants are better for natural styles. The ingredients(like the hydroxyethylcellulose) that target making your curls pop are the same ingredients that typically attract moisture from the air and yield reversion. Use a really moisturizing deep conditioner and you switch to a heat protectant that is moisturizing instead that will help you to combat reversion.
Thank you!

alex114

What products do you all use every day while your hair is straight to keep your roots from getting crazy? I have the Chi serum, but is there anything else?
I used to use hemp seed oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil, (not at the same time) but the coconut oil annoys my scalp, the jojoba oil feels like...well, nothing, and the hempseed oil had a faint smell.

Mapleoats

Hey straight hair naturals. What’s your take on titanium vs ceramic flat irons? Does it make a difference? Do you have a preference?

GGsKin

Hey straight hair naturals. What’s your take on titanium vs ceramic flat irons? Does it make a difference? Do you have a preference?
I like the finish that both kind of plates give to the hair. I can't say that I've ever tried notice a difference tbh.

I've had a titanium (Babyliss Pro) flat iron for a few years now and I have no complaints at all. The temp gage has increments of 5°. It gets my (and others) hair straight without reaching for the highest temperatures. For myself, I usually do 1-2 max. passes between 190°C- 200°C. Before this, I've used ceramic flat irons and marcel irons and stove. I love them all, especially if I can control the temperature.

In my experience, like the pressing comb, a press with the marcel irons lasts that bit longer than any plug-in flat iron I've used but you also run a few risks with the marcels lol.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

What products do you all use every day while your hair is straight to keep your roots from getting crazy? I have the Chi serum, but is there anything else?
I used to use hemp seed oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil, (not at the same time) but the coconut oil annoys my scalp, the jojoba oil feels like...well, nothing, and the hempseed oil had a faint smell.

Nothing. I do keep Chi Silk infusion in my rotation to layer on top of my heat protectant sometimes but I don't put anything extra in my hair after I press it until my next wash day. I just keep my scalp clean unless there is another issue going on. If my hair doesn't stay styled and manageable during the month of my press I need different products or technique. Right now I am using Aveda Brilliant and an oooooooooooold bottle of sabino moisture block but any good protectant I like works. A good blow-dry pre straightening straightens the roots. The flat iron or pressing comb lays them. They grow out like new hair with a bit of kink it has buil-in moisture based on being new virgin hair growth. Since I only get so much new growth in a month it does fine with me leaving it alone and slicking the front edges to make the whole head still look freshly styled for a few weeks. Oils sound fine but they can weigh down your press and impact the style. So I avoid product on press hair and just wash fresh for moisture to straightened hair.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

Nothing. I do keep Chi Silk infusion in my rotation to layer on top of my heat protectant sometimes but I don't put anything extra in my hair after I press it until my next wash day. I just keep my scalp clean unless there is another issue going on. If my hair doesn't stay styled and manageable during the month of my press I need different products or technique. Right now I am using Aveda Brilliant and an oooooooooooold bottle of sabino moisture block but any good protectant I like works. A good blow-dry pre straightening straightens the roots. The flat iron or pressing comb lays them. They grow out like new hair with a bit of kink it has buil-in moisture based on being new virgin hair growth. Since I only get so much new growth in a month it does fine with me leaving it alone and slicking the front edges to make the whole head still look freshly styled for a few weeks. Oils sound fine but they can weigh down your press and impact the style. So I avoid product on press hair and just wash fresh for moisture to straightened hair.
For heat protectants, do you usually reach for super light ones like the aveda? Or the tresseme heat protectant?
I love my it’s a 10, but It has a milky consistency so I’m wondering If That’s too heavy for a press?

waff

For heat protectants, do you usually reach for super light ones like the aveda? Or the tresseme heat protectant?
I love my it’s a 10, but It has a milky consistency so I’m wondering If That’s too heavy for a press?
I don't like the tresseme one, it's too sticky. I tried it twice and hated it both times. I know many people love it.

It's a 10 is great because it's a leave in/heat protectant all in one. I also like serum based heat protectants like beyond the zone, but it can be heavy so a I use very small amount.

Theresamonet

Im scared of titanium. Many years ago I used to use a CHI ceramic iron (monthly) and never had heat damage, then I switched to a titanium Babybliss, and got heat damage very quickly. I didn’t realized then that there was a difference in the way they distributed heat and transfer heat to the hair. I felt that the titanium had a nicer glide and did better getting my hair bone straight, but from now on I will just stick to ceramic.

Mapleoats

I don't like the tresseme one, it's too sticky. I tried it twice and hated it both times. I know many people love it.

It's a 10 is great because it's a leave in/heat protectant all in one. I also like serum based heat protectants like beyond the zone, but it can be heavy so a I use very small amount.
Great I’ll just stick w my it’s a 10 then!

Mapleoats

Okay I bought a ceramic flat iron. Was thinking to try a titanium as well but after these replies I’ll just stick with the ceramic. Thanks everyone!

Lylddlebit

I use the full range. Heavier creams and serums along with lighter sprays. I actually like heavier creams a little more than the sprays because my hair can get into Diana ross/Chaka Khan territory with ease. I do like that look all by itself, don't get me wrong but if I am going for a silk press the heavier cream debulks. Alterna Caviar 10-in-1 CC cream, Crack Hair Fix cream are my two favorite cream leave-ins. I consider both of these heavier than the It's a 10 leave-in. I have some It's-a-10 in my hair cabinet I have used this year which is also good . I have used Chi Silk infusion serum the most this year. With all mentioned above I can still receive achieve a weightless press. The spray leave-in I have been using most this year has been Aveda Brilliant Damage control layered with Chi Silk Infusion and I have had success with that too. In my last press for Thanksgiving I used the Aveda Damage Control Spay with Sabino Moisture block and that came out fine. (Sabino is on a heavier side of serums). My trick is to apply my leave in on wet/damp hair then blow dry, I follow up with a flat iron with no extra product applied. I find that as long as I am using a leave in protectant I like, then applying it to towel dried or lightly stretched hair then blow drying it in, really infuses the product into my strands without leaving film on my hair. It's most like a light oil coating that irons away clean and weightless. I don't think you will have any issues using it'd-a-10, I haven't had a problem using it on myself. I have the 10 oz miracle leave-in in my hair cabinet right now. I can spray 12-30 sprays with a creamier leave-in on wet hair and still get a clean press(I just part my hair in a quad: nape to forehead then ear to ear and give each section 3-5 sprays smooth through detangle and stretch/blow-dry, followed by flat iron with no issues.