Straightened my natural hair, trimmed and NYC stylist rant! PICS

CurlyActress

Okay so Hair Rules had an event at Ricky's by Columbia University for free blowout featuring their products. I went since I had been attempting to get my ends trimmed for a while (last trim/flatiron was last year early July). I didn't really EXPERIENCE the products, just a half *** shampoo. The stylist didn't even like them. My hair was super long and I was excited. I had been twisting and wearing wigs for most of the fall/winter. I dc'd weekly (just got a Huetiful steamer in Feb) and kept my hair stretched for the most part so I was eager and excited to see those results. Now the bad part...

Stylist Rant:

The stylist told me that my ends were rough, dry and split and he held up about 2 1/2 INCHES that he said was damaged. He told me that I need to take better care of my hair. I have had three major cuts in my four years being natural and all due to stylists telling me my ends are terrible when really they weren't. I would say about 5-6 inches at least I could have had if not for them.:heated: Needless to say I broke the cycle and left his chair without a trim.

Salon Rave:

I got on LHCF and looked for recs for a trim. I decided to go to Dominican Essence in Brooklyn. Even though they closed at 7 (it was 7:30) they told me to come on. I got there at 8 and explained the situation. She laughed and asked why he was going to cut all that good hair off. She only took off about an inch! My hair looked great afterwards. And the price was RIGHT, lol. I will definitely be going back for some treatments and to str8n in the FAR future :yep:

ANYWAY...here are the pics

In the 1st stylist chair...
chair.JPG

chair1.JPG

chair2.JPG

A mesy pony on the way to get trim.

pony.JPG

After the trim.

trim.JPG

Last edited:

Nonie

I love it! Looks so full and thick...and I'm a sucker for fullness to the ends. Glad you found someone who'd not thwart all your progress but still give you better looking ends. :up:

naturalmanenyc

I'm glad you walked out on the scissor happy stylist!

Who did your hair? I heard Juanita left Dominican Essence (I only used her twice).

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
Your hair looks great :yep:...the color and thickness are so pretty. It's good you left the first stylist because I don't see 2.5 inches of damaged ends.

Sent from my Sidekick 4G using LHCF

BostonMaria

You definitely did NOT need a trim. They did a great job!

So glad this didn't turn into a horror story. Wish most people would just get up and walk away when stylists act fishy.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

CurlyActress

I'm glad you walked out on the scissor happy stylist!

Who did your hair? I heard Juanita left Dominican Essence (I only used her twice).

I'm not sure. I know her mother works there as they were the only two in the shop when I went. I believe she or her mother must be the owner.

Lucia

CurlyActress
:clap:
BRAVA!!!!!!
Well done you did break the cycle. I'm so glad you left that 1st SHS stylist chair your ends look thick and healthy there was no need for 2.5 inch cut he's crazy.I would have loved to see the look on his face when you got up out he chair and left :lol:
I haven't let a stylist trim or cut my hair in years and my ends are fine.I do self trims and dustings.

Last edited:

TraciChanel

Good for you for not letting him cut your hair! I just don't get why some stylists are obsessed with pressuring people to get a "trim". :nono: It's really not that serious... Anyway, your hair is beautiful and thick...and looks healthy :yep:

Bnster

Ditto about walking away from a SHS! Your hair loves you for that and your hair looks fabulous! HHJ!