Stressed about stress...might shave it off!

Blu217

I have been slowly losing hair now for over a year, and it's getting so thin on the top I'm seriously... SERIOUSLY thinking of shaving it off and just wearing a chrome dome for a while until I can get past this rough period. I literally have handfuls now, my hairline at the temples is faded back more than an inch and the crown is so thin I have to comb over carefully just to wear a ponytail.

I'm taking all the vitamins--Nioxin, B5, MSM, and I just started using black castor oil. But what I'm finding is that growth is GREAT. Regrowth, however, will never happen until I get right within. Not a single thing has helped the shedding. I know now that nothing is going to work until I destress. It's just gonna keep coming out. It's so scary.

So I'm going to see a doctor in a couple of weeks to see what he can do/prescribe. Tomorrow I'm going to a black dermatologist to see if she has anything new to tell me.

It's just itching and shedding, but it's also almost BSL. I feel so sad that I've got such great length and my hair is doing better than ever--and I'm losing it. A lady at work is always saying how pretty my hair is and asking why I don't wear it down.... sigh.

I've posted about this before, but I really think I might have to let every bit of it go if things don't turn around in the next 6 months. I refuse to walk around trying to make do with what's left. I'd sooner be bold and be bald. And I'm talking SKIN bald. I am NOT afraid!

Well... OK, maybe just a little...

GoGoChik

I am sorry to hear this.

My sister also has this problem. It all started 3 years ago when she was planning her wedding and then the stress escalated with work.

Now the hair at the very top of her head is thin and very short. She has a 2 inch mohawk up there. The rest of her hair is collarbone length.

She went to the stylist last weekend to get it chopped off and the lady told her to be patient and suggested that she take some biotin

She moved to a new city and now she telecommutes, so hopefully she won't be under so much stress.

I Hope things get better for you too. :)

blueabyss333

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Is there absolutely any way you could destress? Does yoga, spa, exercising, or simply taking an hour to yourself help? It's best not to make such a dramatic decision while you're stressed. You might not be scared but you might regret it once it's done. Definately see a doctor about what you can do.

Blu217

Thanks, ladies.

I am hoping the doc can prescribe something for the stress. I've been trying to do it naturally for some time, but I could use something a bit stronger.

My mom keeps suggesting yoga, which I just can't imagine would be powerful enough to really help, but I'm not sure why I think that. I wonder how long the effects last between sessions, if that makes sense.

I don't know if I'd regret shaving off my hair. It's become so embarrassing as it is. I hate when the wind blows; so scared for people to see. A shave is temporary and I'd get to go natural for a while, which might be nice. But I'm not there yet. I'm scared it will never come back, but I'm trying to stay positive that this will reverse.

I'll see what the dermatologist has to say this afternoon.

Kiadodie

I was just going to post something about this. My hair has been shedding big time for about 4 months. I've been under major changes in my life good and bad but stressful as hell. My hair is still shedding and it's starting to show.
I'm going to start exercising and I'm also looking for a job that is less stressful than the one that I have now. It's not worth it.
I don't want to worry about it cause that'll make it worse so I think what I'm going to do is just change a few things in my life and that includes exercising, taking vitamins for my hair, look for a new job and stress less about life!
So don't worry about it. Just take it easy. I think once we get the stress under control, we'll be ok.:)

Cayenne0622

I'm sorry you are going through this. I know its easier said than done but try not to let your circumstances control you to the point where you are this stressed. Prayer, meditation, massages, acupuncture...all of these help relieve stress but the main thing that helps me is to always remind myself of who is in control of my life and to look at the world in a bigger picture (not just my little part of it). I usually end up realizing that while my situation is bad, there are sooooo many worse things going on. I pray about it and move past it. I'm not sure if any of this helps but I sure hope it does.

hotshot

I went through the same thing. Hair came out in clumps three months after a really stressful series of events, plus thinned like CRAZY on top of that. once i got it to grow back thicker, it was difficult to manage because it was two radically different densities and textures. I am natural, but I had "newgrowth". I cut it all off in feb. (to about an 1/8-1/4 inch) and its growing back so strong and full and pretty! Better than ever!

btw-I could still feel the "stress" in my ends. It just had to go!

Blu217

Hotshot, so your hair came back in after you got things under control? Did you use or do something to get it back?

This is really giving me hope...

BrownSkin2

I am sorry you are going through this. Hopefully, you can find a way to destress and get your healthy hair back.

One of my aunts lost a lot of her hair after she had a stomach staple. She went to a dermatologist who gave her steriod injections in her scalp and her hair grew back thick and healthy. Maybe you can seek injections, if it's bad...

WomanlyCharm

Blu, I went through the same thing.

I wasn't sleeping, not eating well, working 15 hour days and having severe financial problems...and needless to say my health and hair suffered greatly. Thanks to all the stress, I was losing so much hair even my brothers became alarmed. And believe me, when THEY get concerned about hair, you know it's bad!

I went to the doc, he prescribed medications for the stress and subsequent depression (anti-anxiety and a sleep aid), and I got on an agressive exercise regiment. I worked the treadmill, boxing, lifted weights...anything that would help get all the frustration out of me.

Thank God my hair stopped falling out...and I'm now off medication. But the exercise is what is keeping me from falling back into the same stress trap.

Just find a way to depressurize, baby your tresses and don't let life get you down.
Thanks to this board and a whole lotta vitamins, my hair is growing back faster and thicker than ever before. It's all gonna be o.k., I promise. :)

Aveena

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. I have a patch on the side of my head that does the same thing. I used to touch it-inspect it. Worry aout it.. It was almost like I could "feel" the part of my scalp that was thinning...

I went to the doc and he gave me a cortisone cream to apply to the area. I also started using Colloidal Silver drops. It's been about 3 months now... no more stinging. I noticed I don't touch as much anymore.

next I'm going to start a root simulator

It's hard not to worry but FIRST try to find the real source of the problem. going to a doctor is a good start.

KathyMay

I can relate 2 years ago I had seperated from my ex husband that put so much stress on me that the back of my hair broke the rest of my hair was neck length and the back middle part of my hair was 3 inches long! I got myself and hair together and evertything is alright now. Needless to say I dont stress about anything anymore.