Stretching 6 months Ruined My Hair!

beauti

i definitely think that it depends on your hair type.if you have 4a/b hair you're gonna have to up your moisture and dc significantly. like if you never co-wash then you gotta do it at least once a week and dc at least twice. cause the longer you stretch, the thirstier your ng gets...i'm 24 weeks post and i always keep my ng saturated and my ends moisturized. and you are right about leaving MS.Hair ALONE! protective styling is key! dont play in your hair and only comb detangle on wash days

Tolle

Team Fluid
I used to think I couldn't strecth past 8 weeks, now I know different. I just ended a 15 week(4mos.) stretch. I began getting weekly wash and sets with DC from a Dominican salon and it has made all the difference. I don't ever let them use that hot arse blow dryer though; I just get it wraped once rollers are dry.

Im not trying to turn you into a PJ but you might want to look into products by "it's a 10". I haven't heard anyone mention this line but I can't praise it enough. It melts tangles and leaves my hair with so much body even at the end of stretch without using direct heat. Btw I'm 4b.

Bnster

I just came off of an almost 6 months stretch and don't see any negative side effects. Thank goodness, I was concern a little bit. I thought this week was 6 months so I relaxed. Oh well. The ticker shows 5 months 4 weeks 1 day.

Last edited:

abcd09

i definitely think that it depends on your hair type.if you have 4a/b hair you're gonna have to up your moisture and dc significantly. like if you never co-wash then you gotta do it at least once a week and dc at least twice. cause the longer you stretch, the thirstier your ng gets...i'm 24 weeks post and i always keep my ng saturated and my ends moisturized. and you are right about leaving MS.Hair ALONE! protective styling is key! dont play in your hair and only comb detangle on wash days
see this still doesnt work with me. no matter how much I moisturize it will dred at the roots. and then if i leave my hair alone i will have hell to pay later.

Janet'

What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander...I wish that I could do what all 4a/3c heads of hair can do, products, etc...but no bueno...I'm sorry that the 6 month stretch didn't work for you OP, I hope that your hair recouperates :bighug:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I just posted about this elsewhere. If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have never stretched to 16 weeks last year. My hair hasn't been the same. I'm still dealing with under processed hair and all the jazz that goes along with that -- I'm still experiencing a little more breakage than what I consider acceptable. I'm sure technique is to blame for my stretch mishap. My ends have thinned, IMO. :nono: I will ensure I TU every 8-10 weeks, based on what my hair desires until I learn better stretching technique...but I'm not rushing it, it will come in time.

Honey Bee

I reached this same conclusion a while ago myself, I just can't stretch like the big dogs. All the dc'ing the world doesn't help and ponytail sets left me with a halo of short hairs. :ohwell::nono: I decided that if I'm gonna use chemicals at all, to just go ahead and use them in a timely fashion.

EbonyCPrincess

AMEN to all of the responses in this post.

1) Stretching beyond 12 weeks isn't for me either! Even recently I was 10 weeks and decided to do a sew in thinking it wouldn't cause problems because it was hidden....NOT! Detangling was horrid. Lost hair, broke hair, tore out hair....even as careful and patient I tried to be.

2) Unless I am going to transition....its just not worth it to stretch beyond 12 weeks. 10 weeks works for me and I won't even feel guilty if I have to stop at 9. Not usually the case, but I'm just going to listen to my hair.

3) It seems more common for women with 4 a/b hair to experience thinning on their ends with long stretches....i.e. YouTuber's MissThis897 and Fgrogan. Learning from their experiences...no thank you!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I wonder if this is why I will be trimming, i did a 6 month stretch and never thought about it being too much for my fine strands, especially since I go 4 months without a problem. I started that stretch with a fresh trim too.

Sent from my Zio

janeemat

AMEN to all of the responses in this post.

3) It seems more common for women with 4 a/b hair to experience thinning on their ends with long stretches....i.e. YouTuber's MissThis897 and Fgrogan. Learning from their experiences...no thank you!

I agree with you here! I know that I did everything right with this stretch. The 6 months was the problem, but NEVER again.:nono::nono::nono: