STRETCHING = SETBACK

**WonderWoman**

To my Relaxed, Texlaxed and knowledgeable Naturals out there:

I've been reading a lot of people's complaints about stretching their relaxers for long periods (more than 12 weeks) and how it did them more harm than good. I know that i've tried stretching several times since I joined this community and my hair absolutely HATED it. I suspect the breakage and setbacks from stretching kept me at SL for a long time. Thank the good Lord I' now APL, approaching BSL! :grin: I had to stop stretching at relax at 12weeks.

Is it just me or is stretching not beneficial? A lot of stylists advise against going beyond 12weeks (of course they may have financial motives). But what about the members on here who have long, healthy, thriving hair and stretch religiously? If that's you pls share tips that made your stretch successful - did you just hide your hair throughout your stretch? I tried cowashing and it was a FAIL!

And if you got setback from your stretch I also wanna hear your thoughts. Would you try it again? How far did you try? What mistakes did you make? Did your stretch strain your hair?

nymane

I stretch for 20+ weeks at a time and I've seen nothing but the benefits....thicker hair, healthier, great retention etc...

My first and longest stretch was 27 weeks; during that time I was air drying in 6-8 braids (and using flexi rods occasionally). Silicon Mix DC was and still is a godsend during stretching. I used HE LTR as a leave-in and Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme to moisturize 2x daily. I co-washed mid-week for moisture & to refresh my braid out style.

Now I've been roller setting weekly (still stretching for at least 20 weeks) thanks to lacio lacio leave-in. I moisture 1x daily with Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme & DC with Silicon Mix.

I don't experience any problems and I don't use direct heat.

ETA: I'm Coarse 4b/a

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Well, it depends on whether or not you manipulate your hair a lot during your stretch time. When I used to stretch, I didn't do any hairstyle other than bunning. I was careful not to comb often and kept my hair super moisturized at the line of demarcation. If I even stepped close to a flat iron or blow dryer, I would have broke off all my relaxed ends! If you're a person who can't stand PSing, then I say stretching is not for you.

Kamilla16

In my experience, I found stretching to equal a setback for me as well :ohwell: The longest I've stretched is 4 months... I think what attributed to my setbacks were the fact that I would have to straighten my hair to be able to deal with all the new growth, which caused my hair to become dry, brittle, and break! I wasn't doing cowashing at the time, so I'm not for sure if that would have helped or not. From now on, I will only stretch 10-12 weeks :yep: My hair was the happiest at this point, and I can avoid having to put heat on it! which= less breakage for me!

Kamilla16

If I even stepped close to a flat iron or blow dryer, I would have broke off all my relaxed ends! If you're a person who can't stand PSing, then I say stretching is not for you.
This was my downfall!! :nono:, I can't stand PS, so no long stretches for me!

LushLox

I like stretching. As someone with fine hair it's essential for me to ensure I don't overlap or at least keep it to a minimum. I don't really have any problems with stretching as long as I ensure the line of demarcation is well looked after. So regular DC's (both moisture and protein), cutting out the dependency on combs, and low manipulation. I don't really stretch any more than six months and it works.

chasturner84

I'm pro stretching. I don't have any problems from it and normally stretch between 16-18 weeks; I am currently attempting my first 24 week stretch. :clapping: I have found that the key, for me, while stretching is a lot of moisture and low manipulation. After I pass the 12 week mark, I only manipulate my hair on shampoo days and PS 24/7.

Since I started stretching, my hair has gotten a lot thicker and I have had great success with retention.

Minty

That's incredible that some of you ladies can go 6 months without a relaxer.

The ability to stretch depends on your curl pattern. My strands curl back on each other very badly and are dry. So stretching more than 10 weeks is a hazard, but because I have fine strands, a 6 week relaxer schedule ensures my hair will be lifeless. I try an push it alittle longer each time, and at times I rely on my flatiron to get me through. CREAMTee is right about low manipulation.

It takes a WHILE to learn how to stretch your hair type. You have to learn alot of things in order to be successful and at times suffer some setbacks, but its just part of the process.

It may be necessary to use a moisturizing DC on the new growth (my fav. cheapie find: L'oreal Mega Moisture creme) and a protein DC on the relaxed ends. But again I discovered this through trial and error.

Britt

I don't think stretching is for everyone. While I do think it's much easier for a 3c/4a to stretch than a 4b w/fine strands, I do see some w/ very think hair that manage their new growth very well. Sylver and Tracyee are both 4a's and manage to stretch for long periods of time. Also, Fgrogan on youtube looks to be a coarse 4a and she stretched for a year and found ways to wear some really cute hairstyles! Idk, i'm 8 wks now and I feel like the only style I can wear is a bun daily :lol:. I suppose twist outs and braid outs would work too, but that's too much work :lol:.

chasturner84

That's incredible that some of you ladies can go 6 months without a relaxer.

The ability to stretch depends on your curl pattern. My strands curl back on each other very badly and are dry.

It takes a WHILE to learn how to stretch your hair type. You have to learn alot of things in order to be successful and at times suffer some setbacks, but its just part of the process. .

@ HijabiFlygirl

My hair does the same thing. My NG is always really dry and the longer I stretch, the worse it gets. The only way I can combat this is by leaving in regular condish while my hair air dries. I feel that my hair is too weak to detangle while wet so I only detangle when my hair is air drying; I use AO condish for the purpose of detangling only.

I've got to be 4b and my strands are really fine:

SmileyNY

I think the key to long stretching is low manipulation and VERY patient detangling. It's also finding the right products that work for your relaxed hair and new growth. Sometimes different products are needed to properly treat each of the two hair textures.

Britt

@ HijabiFlygirl

My hair does the same thing. My NG is always really dry and the longer I stretch, the worse it gets. The only way I can combat this is by leaving in regular condish while my hair air dries. I feel that my hair is too weak to detangle while wet so I only detangle when my hair is air drying; I use AO condish for the purpose of detangling only.

:wow: !
How exactly do you handle that? I'm not even trying to be funny, but really trying to understand. I just felt like a fool crying over not being able to manage my new growth till I saw this :lol:.

Ok, so you wash, deep condition well... What exactly do you do afterwards? My issue is not so much dealing w/ the wet hair and detangling, it's when the hair is dry and the middle back of my hair is like snap, crackle, pop b/c it's coarse. Also, along my ears, I noticed this weekend that the new growth which looks like a fine 4b there is starting to literally coil around itself.

What are your daily styles?

**WonderWoman**

I agree with comments that being able to stretch depends on your hair type because I co-washed regularly when I was stretching to keep my hair moisturized, but I still got breakage. I've tried protective styling using wigs and braid outs, but at some point you still have to wash your hair and deal with all the new growth. I think that's when the breakage and what nots occur.

Like some people said it depends on your hair type. But i'm feeling some of the tips the long stretchers are giving.

Last edited:

classi123

Stretching is a lot of work, work that I don't have the patience for, but I when I did stretch I saw only benefits from it. My hair got thicker, healthier and stretching helps with your chances of your hair being overprocessed. My hair grows in very thick and is unmanageable I also like the straight look which I can't achieve that well with long stretches. So to answer your question stretching isn't really a setback, its just something you have to really dedicate yourself to. Also, you have to learn what works for your hair while stretching....

janeemat

The jury is still out with me on long stretches. I stretched once for 20 wks and it appeared to have done more damage than good. So last year all year I kept it at 12-13 wks with no major problems. But for some reason, the longer my hair gets the thinner is gets although I was doing all of the right things. Fast forward to right now and somewhere in my pea brains, something told me to try to stretch at least 5 months again. Everything was going fine until I protein overload this past weekend. I lost a lot of hair because it seem like my ng just locked up. I had knots and tangles everywhere trying to tame 18wks post. I lost hair even trying to flat iron. So last night I put some Naturals Key aloe vera and avocoda on my hair overnight and rinsed it out this morning. My hair is much softner now. I added some leave in and I just pulled it back in a braid with a head band scarf and went to work. So I'm just going to concentrate on moisture for the next week or two and then go from there. I feel my hair is thinner now after this weekend, I don't know.

locabouthair

And if you got setback from your stretch I also wanna hear your thoughts. Would you try it again? How far did you try? What mistakes did you make? Did your stretch strain your hair?

I stretched for like 5 or 6 months because I couldnt find someone to relax my hair. The crwon and the side sbroke off at the demarcation point. I'm devastated and feel so self concious about it :(

@ HijabiFlygirl

I notice this also. I think your ng kinda looks like mine.

I really wish I was one of those people who could stretch for really long but I can't. The longest I can go is like 11 weeks. I have very coarse 4b hair.

chasturner84

:wow: !
How exactly do you handle that? I'm not even trying to be funny, but really trying to understand. I just felt like a fool crying over not being able to manage my new growth till I saw this :lol:.

Ok, so you wash, deep condition well... What exactly do you do afterwards? My issue is not so much dealing w/ the wet hair and detangling, it's when the hair is dry and the middle back of my hair is like snap, crackle, pop b/c it's coarse. Also, along my ears, I noticed this weekend that the new growth which looks like a fine 4b there is starting to literally coil around itself.

What are your daily styles?

Brittster

My hair coils around itself and shrinks terribly. I think that if I were natural, I would be dealing with at least 50% shrinkage. So what do I do after I wash & DC? I allow my hair to air dry a bit and then part my hair into 4 sections. I saturate my roots with regular condish and detangle a section at a time. After my roots are completely detangled, I apply the rest of my products and seal. I have to allow my hair to completely air dry before I style or my hair will coil on itself and loc. :nono: THAT is a nightmare!!!

My magic number is 12. Up until 12 weeks, I usually wear updo's, half wigs, or bun every day. If I'm past 12 weeks, I will usually wear crochet braids until I relax. That way, I have zero manipulation which means no breakage. I just spray scurl on the cornrows and once I take my hair down, it is super soft and easily detangled: all I have to do is remove the shed hairs. Voila!

chasturner84

I stretched for like 5 or 6 months because I couldnt find someone to relax my hair. The crwon and the side sbroke off at the demarcation point. I'm devastated and feel so self concious about it :(

I notice this also. I think your ng kinda looks like mine.

I really wish I was one of those people who could stretch for really long but I can't. The longest I can go is like 11 weeks. I have very coarse 4b hair.

@locabouthair

Stretching definitely took a lot of practice and trial & error. IMO, it's all about products. My ng is made up of super coarse, tiny spring-like coils (like the ones in a pen) and must be loaded with product to soften. In the summer, scurl is really all I need but in the winter, I have to use a ton of product to be able to tackle my ng or it will dry out and break like crazy.

I'm at work but once I get home I'll send you better pics of my ng and you can see if yours is similar.

ETA: I know it's a big pic (I'm 16 or 17 weeks post here) but I wanted you to see if there are similarities between our hair. If so, I would love to know what you are using as a daily moisturizer. PM me.

Last edited:

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Stretching is not easy, I should know cos I'm transitioning. DC and moisturizing constantly are my best friends. I detangle very gently and decide what to do with my hair.

My advice for anyone who decides to stretch their relaxer is to take it week by week. If your hair starts to break or misbehave then you touch up. If you normally relax at 6 weeks, take it to 7 and if you don't have any breakage then take it to 8 weeks and so on.

Good luck OP.

Britt

@Brittster

My hair coils around itself and shrinks terribly. I think that if I were natural, I would be dealing with at least 50% shrinkage. So what do I do after I wash & DC? I allow my hair to air dry a bit and then part my hair into 4 sections. I saturate my roots with regular condish and detangle a section at a time. After my roots are completely detangled, I apply the rest of my products and seal. I have to allow my hair to completely air dry before I style or my hair will coil on itself and loc. :nono: THAT is a nightmare!!!

My magic number is 12. Up until 12 weeks, I usually wear updo's, half wigs, or bun every day. If I'm past 12 weeks, I will usually wear crochet braids until I relax. That way, I have zero manipulation which means no breakage. I just spray scurl on the cornrows and once I take my hair down, it is super soft and easily detangled: all I have to do is remove the shed hairs. Voila!

Awwwww, I see... so you essentially hide your hair so that you don't have to deal with it. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! :yep:

sylver2

hmmm...im not sure it has to do with hair type. I use to get a touchups every 4-6 weeks religiously. 6 wks was pushing it because my NG was so dry and coarse coming in. I would have a lot of breakage & shedding. Until my hair got damaged soo bad and broke off a lot from overprocessing. I couldn't put any more chemicals in it until i nursed & nurtured it back to health. It was a do or die decison for my hair to stretch. It took a lot of patience, nightmares, detangling, techniques, product & time, working w/both textures...but it was worth it to learn. My hair retains the best length from stretching. I learned to leave my NG alone and keep it well moisturized, flat & smooth.
Stretching was the best thing that ever happened to my hair. and to think it was my enemy.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i stretch 10 months at a time.

my first rule is...don't make your first stretch a long one. add a week or two at a time until you get your routine down.

second rule.....low manipulation. protective style. as you add weeks to your stretch you need to learn to get by with less.

third rule....you must accept that your hair care routine HAS TO CHANGE as your stretch progresses. what works at week 12 is not going to work at month 6. you need gentler shampoos, deeper conditioners, oils and PATIENCE.

i wash my hair in 6 braids once i pass 4 months. i protective style exclusively past 6 months. i manipulate my hair only on wash day once i pass month 8.

it's a lot of work and a total committment BUT my hair is longer than it's been since i was a natural as a child because of it. so the sacrifice is worth it to me.

Roux

When I was relaxing I would stretch no more than 12 weeks. I think a few popular members in the hair community have had success and people think they can go about it without research and listening to their hair. I can't tell you how many people I have seen post their results after a 6-12 months stretch to only have an inch or two in growth in the end. Stretching is beneficial but it can be absolutely detrimental to your length goals if you don't know what you're doing.

**WonderWoman**

Exactly! Stretching is detrimental if you don't know what you're doing. I personally think that relaxing your hair every 12-14 weeks and stretching can produce the same results with proper relaxer application and care. For example, i tried really hard to stretch over a period of 2-3 years, learning from my flaws as I went along and I remained at SL ... Thanks to all that darn breakage. My twin sister (who was the same SL as me) refused to stretch and relaxed her hair every 12 weeks. Thanks to my setback i'm APL and she's past BSL (thick and healthy. She always insists on proper relaxer application and she has a no direct heat and low manipulation regimen for her hair).

I just think that if you don't know what you're doing then it's STRETCHER BEWARE!!! Like someone said maybe just try adding an additional week to your stretch if you really want to try it. But I have to hand it to the members who are stretching long term! Goodness! I am certainly too lazy to do everything you do when you stretch. Maybe that's the problem. :lol:

But seriously, I did try ... the section by section detangling, the s-curl, the protein treatments, etc. :sad:

Last edited:

MariposaSexyGirl

I've decided I will be relaxing every six months. Last year I was contemplating going natural so It was a whole year plus a few months before I relaxed. The year before that, I went ten months. Stretching relaxers works really well for me. The less the chemicals, the better.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I just finished a 6 month stretch and it went well. I normally go 16wks but every now and again I go beyond that due to busy schedule. I did more DC/co washing instead of using shapoo and using mild to strong protein treatments when needed. I also moisturized and sealed more often further in my stretch and if I was too busy I atleast DC/co washed the length of my ponytail, that eliminated me rushing which can cause unnecessary breakage. I also kept my hair in a style that kept my NG from fully coiling up, this kept tangles away. Also my DCing arsenal is the bomb on my NG and makes a world of difference when stretching.

Sent from my Zio

afrochique

I am a 6 month+ stretcher. I use wigs as my PS.
As Chasturner said, products do make a difference. Low manipulation is also important as time goes by. I think it is important to use a moisturizer that can also act as a detangler or baggy to keep your hair super moisturized. I just discovered Silken Child Leave In Detangler and wash days are easier. It takes me less than 15 min to detangle my 8 mths of new growth in sections.
I usually keep my hair braided up under my wig until the next wash day.

TLC1020

Stretching has worked well for me and I don't have any complaints :crossfingers: When I stretch I usually wear my hair in a bun 7 days a week and only manipulate on wash day. Last march I bc'd, so right now my hair is short from a setback and I am in braids and I am currently in the longest stretch I ever attempted (30 weeks). I can't say the stretch caused more harm than good just yet, I won't know until I relax in about 2-3 weeks :perplexed.

janeemat

Syler2 are you doing any cowashes during your stretch. I was also wondering if you still wait 2 wks in between washing. You are the master stretcher, because you do it without wigs, weaves or braids. This is what I'm aiming to do. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm right at 5 months so I will see how things go the next week or so to see if I will be relaxing at the 5 month mark. One thing I learned this past weekend is not to put the hard core aphoghee on my ng and leave it there longer than instructed.