Struggling With Dry Hair...please Help!

trueheartofgold

So just to recap everyone: the best thing I should do is to simplify my regimen, do not pre poo, eliminate coconut oil and protein and use more moisturizing products?

The following is the updated regimen I came up with:

Detangle with a moisturizing protein free conditioner (my hair gets very tangled throughout the week so I need a lot of conditioner to detangle). Conditioner: I'm thinking herbal essences hello hydration conditioner
Shampoo: To be determined
Deep Conditioner: TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask with heat for 30 minutes (it has high ratings for providing extreme moisture--anyone agree?)
Leave In: To be determined
Cream: To be determined
Oil: Grapeseed or Jojoba
Daily moisturizer: To be determined

I always air try in twists and then wear my hair in a bun throughout the week. I moisturize daily.

Does this sound good? Suggestions for products: shampoo, leave in, cream and daily moisturizer?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I agree with Joico, but you may need to evaluate clarifying/chelating and if you are using protein, do not use a protein conditioner but a reconstructor. If you have heat damaged hair, you may not get the moisture you are truly looking for until you cut it off.

Anaisin

Stop using those raw shea butter products. Plus coconut oil actually makes my hair dry so it's probably that too.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Joico is excellent as recommended.

Less is more. Shampoo, Deep Condition and Leave In and maybe a detangler is all you need for wash day. Use protein only as needed.

Sulfate shampoo is not a bad thing. It will remove some of the buildup from your hair and allow your deep conditioner to penetrate better.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@trueheartofgold,

I just wanted to add one more word of encouragement:

I was PRETTY DOGGONE irritated when people started telling me to "simplify my regimen." I felt like there was a REASON for every step: "I'm oil rinsing with grapeseed oil because my hair will likely benefit from cerarmides . . . not because I like having a billion steps and products in my routine! :censored: !!!" :lol:

I felt like simplifying my regimen was giving up and saying "none of this good stuff works. Just do hardly anything." And I felt like I'd tried simple, and that hadn't worked. And person after person after person on various threads kept posting the same advice: "People with long hair hardly do anything to their hair, if you examine their regimens."

It was a SERIOUS DOWNER for me.

So I said to myself, in a depressed huff, "Fine. I don't care any more. I'll stop prepooing and just HOPE that I don't get hydral fatigue. I'll stop oil rinsing and just HOPE that my hair doesn't suffer from the lack of ceramides. I'll just wear dry hair and if it breaks off, whatever then. FINE: I'll stop GHEing a lot and just HOPE that my strands miraculously get hydration."

:lol:

So I reduced my regimen to cleansing, conditioning, moisturizing, and gel-ing. I tried scores and scores of different products and combinations with just those 4 steps. I had a breakthrough when I found a moisturizer that actually kept my hair moisturized for a long time (the Oyin). That kept me going. I studied the ingredients in the Oyin Hair Dew and let that guide me a little. I continued investing in products (samples whenever possible) based on my hair's porosity. I had a breakthrough when I found an amazing conditioner, and that kept me going. I studied scientific articles about oil, and that helped TREMENDOUSLY. (Some oils penetrate, some oils seal, and it's important to know which do what.)

I wrote all of that to say: PLEASE STAY ENCOURAGED and update us as you have breakthroughs. I literally spent 2.5 years VERY, VERY down over having dry hair and the money spent on it. My hair is SUPER finicky and just does not respond to all these miraculous products like most folks' hair does.

When you get down, maybe go in for a steam treatment or give yourself a steam treatment so you get to see your hair in an excellent, moisturized, hydrated state. I am always amazed when I go in to a good natural hair salon, get a steam treatment and style, and look at my hair. It gives me TREMENDOUS hope.

Emotions matter! :lol: Wishing you speedy finds!

Last edited:

trueheartofgold

@trueheartofgold,

I just wanted to add one more word of encouragement:

I was PRETTY DOGGONE irritated when people started telling me to "simplify my regimen." I felt like there was a REASON for every step: "I'm oil rinsing with grapeseed oil because my hair will likely benefit from cerarmides . . . not because I like having a billion steps and products in my routine! :censored: !!!" :lol:

I felt like simplifying my regimen was giving up and saying "none of this good stuff works. Just do hardly anything." And I felt like I'd tried simple, and that hadn't worked. And person after person after person on various threads kept posting the same advice: "People with long hair hardly do anything to their hair, if you examine their regimens."

It was a SERIOUS DOWNER for me.

So I said to myself, in a depressed huff, "Fine. I don't care any more. I'll stop prepooing and just HOPE that I don't get hydral fatigue. I'll stop oil rinsing and just HOPE that my hair doesn't suffer from the lack of ceramides. I'll just wear dry hair and if it breaks off, whatever then. FINE: I'll stop GHEing a lot and just HOPE that my strands miraculously get hydration."

:lol:

So I reduced my regimen to cleansing, conditioning, moisturizing, and gel-ing. I tried scores and scores of different products and combinations with just those 4 steps. I had a breakthrough when I found a moisturized that actually kept my hair moisturized for a long time (the Oyin). That kept me going. I studied the ingredients in the Oyin Hair Dew and let that guide me a little. I continued investing in products (samples whenever possible) based on my hair's porosity. I had a breakthrough when I found an amazing conditioner, and that kept me going. I studied scientific articles about oil, and that helped TREMENDOUSLY. (Some oils penetrate, some oils seal, and it's important to know which do what.)

I wrote all of that to say: PLEASE STAY ENCOURAGED and update us as you have breakthroughs. I literally spent 2.5 years VERY, VERY down over having dry hair and the money spent on it. My hair is SUPER finicky and just does not respond to all these miraculous products like most folks' hair does.

When you get down, maybe go in for a steam treatment or give yourself a steam treatment so you get to see your hair in an excellent, moisturized, hydrated state. I am always amazed when I go in to a good natural hair salon, get a steam treatment and style, and look at my hair. It gives me TREMENDOUS hope.

Emotions matter! :lol: Wishing your speedy finds!

I started crying (in public) reading this! Thank you so much for your advice and works of encouragement! You have no idea how much it means to me...it's been very difficult these past 18 months and I know eventually I'll find products that work!

I'll try oyin again. So you use it as a leave in by itself? Do you seal? I air dry on twists and then bun. Do you also use oyin as your daily moisturizer? Thank you again.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I started crying (in public) reading this! Thank you so much for your advice and works of encouragement! You have no idea how much it means to me...it's been very difficult these past 18 months and I know eventually I'll find products that work!

I'll try oyin again. So you use it as a leave in by itself? Do you seal? I air dry on twists and then bun. Do you also use oyin as your daily moisturizer? Thank you again.

Sorry for the long post, but I just know that I needed all the details and help I could get when I could not prevent hair dryness, because I was purchasing a LOT of products, spending a LOT of money, and spending a LOT of time on my hair.

Remember, my regimen and product combination may not work for you. But then it might HELP or might work for you, so I'll share it. :yep: Also, I suffer from serious tangling, so my regimen still needs improvement. Just FYI. :smile:

Regarding the Oyin: At first I used it every day because I hadn't discovered Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker gel. So I was using Oyin Hair Dew as a moisturizing leave-in after I had conditioned my hair . . . and I used a sealant after I applied the Oyin. Sometime I used jojoba oil as my sealant. Sometimes I used jojoba oil mixed with castor oil as my sealant. Sometimes my sealant was a gel, but before I'd found the CRN Curl Maker, every gel just dried out my hair and reversed the effects of the Oyin. Had my hair feeling dried. I was VERY discouraged. Hurt. Teary.: I needed gel to hold my hair's definition, but it was destroying the moisturizing effects of the ONE moisturizing product I'd FINALLY found: the Oyin Hair Dew.

Then I discovered Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker. It gives me some hold, but not as much hold as other gels. It does not flake on my hair the way I use it. I get zero crunch with it, no matter how much I use. It's like a hydration-sealing, moisture-boosting, barely gel for my hair.

So now I don't have to use the Oyin Hair Dew every day because I apply CRN Curl Maker on conditioner-saturated and water-saturated hair . . . and CRN Curl Maker seals in that hydration.

So here's what I do typically:

Weekly:
1. Week A: Protein treatment or henna treatment
2. Week B: Moisture-infusing treatment (I just keep trying different, new deep conditioners . . . my latest new try was the Framesi Color Lover Mask which has a few ingredients that bother me. Hardly any DC works, really. I just keep trying new ones.)

Wash and go's:
1. If I can get away with just water rinsing, I do. Otherwise I clay wash or cowash. Cowashing with the SM Hipo mask is amazing for my hair.
2. Wash out cleanser and saturate strands with the conditioner that works best for me: the DevaCurl Decadence One Condition. I use the Anthony Dickey Method of saturating my hair and using water to really drive the product in. I let the shower steam steam in the conditioner. After a few minutes, my hair is VERY hydrated and moisturized. I usually leave this rinse-out in, and my stylist has been doing so for years on all her clients with this conditioner and says it's okay. If I were to rinse it out, I'd do so with cool/cold water.
3. Still in the shower, I apply my actual leave-in. Either Oyin Hair Dew or something I'm trialing. I apply it quadrant by quadrant, using the praying hands method, and I flash my head under the shower water to drive the product in a little more.
4. As quickly as possible once out of the shower, I apply CRN Curl Maker to sections using the praying hands method.

* Sometimes I can skip gel and apply castor oil to soaking wet hair. To seal, I put jojoba oil on my hands and run my hands over my head and try to get most strands, but sometimes I don't seal (I should always, though).

If I didn't do wash and go's, I would replace the gel with a cream or butter and twist or braid or bun or whatever.

I wash and go all the time . . . every 2-3 days and sometimes more frequently. I could get away with doing this less and probably really need to, but I'm always trialing products.

trueheartofgold

I know one of my Joico homies had me :lol: I agree with @pre_medicalrulz

I highly recommend Joico Moisture Recovery Balm. I would do a wash with some sulfate free shampoo first and then a deep condition. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo plays nicely with Joico.

What is your density like? I'm not natural but I have thick hair and to be honest with you, my hair would be dry as the Sahara if I used those products you have listed. None of what you included in your post is rich enough to infuse any long lasting moisture in my opinion.

Shea Moisture is a fave here (Hello Hydration used to be too) but no :look: Hop on to some professional product lines. You won't ever look back.

Thanks for responding. Right now I would say my density is about medium (my hair was paper thin from all the heat styling and is getting fuller). I will try the Shampoo and balm as you and pre_medicalrulz recommended.

SuchaLady

Do you ever buy the Joico on the ground? I've seen Joico at Marshall's and TJ Maxx...will have to check there for the balm. I want to use it next wash day lol...if not I'll try Overstock as you provided in your answer yesterday.

I buy mine from TJMaxx. It's $8 and I usually buy every bottle that's there.

happycakes

One more thing........Almond oil is the only oil that softens my hair. I only use this oil when I have no time to co-wash.

Dry hair will break over time, so please be mindful of that too. My hair gets dry at the root and will break leaving short pieces around my crown. That's a no no for me.

Give it a try.

trueheartofgold

One more thing........Almond oil is the only oil that softens my hair. I only use this oil when I have no time to co-wash.

Dry hair will break over time, so please be mindful of that too. My hair gets dry at the root and will break leaving short pieces around my crown. That's a no no for me.

Give it a try.

I was using it to seal...still have some in my stash lol

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Just looked it up and read that moisturizing is actually locking in the hydrating products used! Never knew that...thanks again!

YW!

Water is the ONLY thing that hydrates.

Everything else either binds to water and helps hold the water in your hair, seals in water, or moisturizes hair in whatever state it's in: hydrated or not. To hydrate is to infuse with water. To moisturize, if I recall correctly, is to add softening and emollient substances to the hair.

I kept moisturizing dry instead of hydrated hair in the beginning. Once I started using Oyin Hair Dew to moisturize hydrated hair, things turned around for me.

Your fix might differ:
I'm sure there are water-based moisturizers that do wonders to moisturize DRIED (non-wet) hair for some folks' hair. I haven't yet had success with that on my natural hair.

EDIT: FOR HYDRATION and MOISTURE, I MUST MOISTURIZE WET HAIR and let it DRY with MOISTURIZER IN.

And, I know I keep mentioning Oyin Hair Dew, but it's possible that it will do little for your hair. If it doesn't, don't fret! You'll find a moisturizer that will work for your hair. :smile:

Last edited:

trueheartofgold

YW!

Water is the ONLY thing that hydrates.

Everything else either binds to water and helps hold the water in your hair, seals in water, or moisturizes hair in whatever state it's in: hydrated or not. To hydrate is to infuse with water. To moisturize, if I recall correctly, is to add softening and emollient substances to the hair.

I kept moisturizing dry instead of hydrated hair in the beginning. Once I started using Oyin Hair Dew to moisturize hydrated hair, things turned around for me.

Your fix might differ:
I'm sure there are water-based moisturizers that do wonders to moisturize dry hair for some folks' hair. I haven't yet had success with that on my natural hair.

And, I know I keep mentioning Oyin Hair Dew, but it's possible that it will do little for your hair. If it doesn't, don't fret! You'll find a moisturizer that will work for your hair. :smile:

Thank you again! It doesn't hurt to try it again! Now I have the much needed advice from you lovely ladies, I'll start going a new route. Fingers crossed I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel!

trueheartofgold

Any more suggestions for a 1. leave in and 2. daily moisturizer that are VERY VERY moisturizing and will provide long lasting moisture?

Thank you!

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I'm a little late to this, but I'll throw in my 2 cents if you don't mind.

Let me preface this by saying, I have no idea what my porosity is. That said, I do know that the natural pH of hair is about 5.0. That means any product above 5.0 will open your cuticles and any product below 5.0 will close your cuticles. Armed with this knowledge I invested in pH strips. I tested every product in my stash and put the pH on the bottle in waterproof magic marker.

My wash day is simple:
Shampoo (^pH)
DC (neutral pH)
John Frieda Clear Glaze (low pH) as a finisher. Closes cuticles.
Leave-in (5.0ish pH)
Oil sealant (neutral)

Using products in order of pH guarantees that your hair gets clean (removes buildup), accepts moisture from D.C., and that moisture gets sealed in (finisher).

Every head is different and I can't guarantee this approach will work for you, but scientifically it makes sense and changed the game for me completely. My sister was in town this summer and in a completely off handed way told me that my hair was beautiful. I almost cried. See, in my family, she'd ALWAYS had the most beautiful hair. I don't think she realized what the compliment meant to me. I can say with 100% certainty that adjusting my regi based on pH made all the difference in the world.

Good luck!

Last edited:

trueheartofgold

I'm a little late to this, but I'll throw in my 2 cents if you don't mind.

Let me preface this by saying, I have no idea what my porosity is. That said, I do know the the natural pH of hair is about 5.0. That means any product above 5.0 will open your cuticles and any product below 5.0 will close your cuticles. Armed with this knowledge I invested in pH strips. I tested every product in my stash and put the pH on the bottle in waterproof magic marker.

My wash day is simple:
Shampoo (^pH)
DC (neutral pH)
John Frieda Clear Glaze (low pH) as a finisher. Closes cuticles.
Leave-in (5.0ish pH)
Oil sealant (neutral)

Using products in order of pH guarantees that your hair gets clean (removes buildup), accepts moisture from D.C., and that moisture gets sealed in (finisher).

Every head is different and I can't guarantee this approach will work for you, but scientifically it makes sense and changed the game for me completely. My sister was in town this summer and in a completely off handed way told me that my hair was beautiful. I almost cried. See, in my family, she'd ALWAYS had the most beautiful hair. I don't think she realized what the compliment meant to me. I can say with 100% certainty that adjusting my regi based on pH made all the difference in the world.

Good luck!

Thank you for responding! I'll def get pH strips. What products do you use?

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Shampoos - every week I use a different one in this order (I buy the Sally's knock offs):
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo
Nexxus Moisturizing Shampoo
Quantum Clarifying Shampoo

Protein - every other week one of these:
Aphogee 2 Min
Nexxus Emergencee
Komaza Protein Treatment

DC - rotate every week (heat cap if I'm feeling lazy or steamer if I'm not):
Loreal Total Repair line
Joico Moisture Balm
Henna Conditioner from the Indian store (can't remember the name)

Finisher:
John Frieda Clear Glaze (this stuff is the BOMB!!)

Leave-In:
Marc Anthony Coconut Oil and Shea Butter Leave-In

Oils - alternate every week:
Coconut Oil
Avocado Oil

Twist hair and air dry. If I need more moisture during the week, I'll use As I Am Double Butter.

Thank you for responding! I'll def get pH strips. What products do you use?

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Do you ever buy the Joico on the ground? I've seen Joico at Marshall's and TJ Maxx...will have to check there for the balm. I want to use it next wash day lol...if not I'll try Overstock as you provided in your answer yesterday.

Yes I buy them at Ulta Beauty but when I'm trying to buy a tub of the treatment balm I go to Amazon.

trueheartofgold

Shampoos - every week I use a different one in this order (I buy the Sally's knock offs):
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo
Nexxus Moisturizing Shampoo
Quantum Clarifying Shampoo

Protein - every other week one of these:
Aphogee 2 Min
Nexxus Emergencee
Komaza Protein Treatment

DC - rotate every week (heat cap if I'm feeling lazy or steamer if I'm not):
Loreal Total Repair line
Joico Moisture Balm
Henna Conditioner from the Indian store (can't remember the name)

Finisher:
John Frieda Clear Glaze (this stuff is the BOMB!!)

Leave-In:
Marc Anthony Coconut Oil and Shea Butter Leave-In

Oils - alternate every week:
Coconut Oil
Avocado Oil

Twist hair and air dry.

Thank you!