Struggling With Dry Hair...please Help!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Here's an INTERESTING list of moisturizers: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/08/4-moisturizers-that-are-light-but-effective/

ETA: I haven't researched them all yet, but so far the Amazon reviews for the Curl Junkie lotion are really good. Of course, YMMV. There's a Curl Junkie thread here if you want to try to look for LHCF reviews of it. Or you could search the forum with the product name if interested. I know nothing about the product.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Thanks for the info! What products from the Elasta QP line do you use (shampoo, leave in, daily moisturizer, etc.)? A lot of people recommend the Creme Shampoo. I read a lot of recent reviews on Amazon and people said that they changed the formula and it now contains sulfates and causes dry hair. Do you use it?

What gel did you use? Does it play well with your leave in and daily moisturizer?

Also, is the Silk Elements you're referring to this one: http://www.sallybeauty.com/intense-conditioning-mayonnaise/SBS-373223,default,pd.html#q=silk+elements&start=48

Thank you!
I use the leave-in spray, leave-in cream, mango butter. I used the cream as a moisturizer too and sealed with the butter. I use Design Essentials avocado shampoo. And SE Mega moisture treatment in the tan jar with the brown lid for a dc. I use ors mayo for protein once a month.
I stopped using gel all of the time because I wasn't doing wash n gos frequently.

LiLi

Silk Dreams is great for dry hair. I use the Avocado and Razzberry conditioners mostly (combined). But I also like the Chocolate Bliss conditioner and mix it will the Avocado conditioner sometimes. No cones and no glycerin which I think is the reason why it works so well. I am a 4 a/b natural if that helps any.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I looked through this thread. I have no product recommendations.

I saw the picture of your hair. It looks like the damaged part of your hair is from your ears down. The hair from the root to your ears looks very healthy and pretty, to me. I would need to see a picture of your hair when it is dry to get a complete picture about the state of your hair.

You mentioned that your hair is heat damaged and that you have been transitioning for about 18 months. That is good that you recognized what was the issue and are working toward having healthy hair. Good for you and your lovely hair!

The point I wanted to mention is that the ends of the hair often determine the appearance and feel of all the hair. It looks like about 1/2 of your hair still has some heat damage. The look and feel, of your entire head of hair, are going to be dominated by those damaged, unhealthy, ends.

I am in no way telling you to cut your hair. I encourage people to cut damaged hair ONLY when they feel ready to do so. Otherwise, that can be overwhelming and actually spin you off the path of a healthy hair journey to never return. I struggle with trims, myself.

@prettyinpurple summed up perfectly what I believe is a big part of your issue:
"Are you ready to cut off the old hair? Dealing with two textures is no fun and they both have different needs IMO. That should stop some of the tangling hair too."

I think she is spot-on.

@trueheartofgold,
Stay encouraged. It does require patience and persistence. In all your posts you are open and receptive to the wisdom, knowledge and experience all these wonderful ladies have offered and suggested. That speaks volumes about you. You have continued to ask clarifying questions, which is persistence. If you have transitioned for 18 months, you definitely have patience! I believe you will successfully resolve this situation with your hair. Keep going!

trueheartofgold

I looked through this thread. I have no product recommendations.

I saw the picture of your hair. It looks like the damaged part of your hair is from your ears down. The hair from the root to your ears looks very healthy and pretty, to me. I would need to see a picture of your hair when it is dry to get a complete picture about the state of your hair.

You mentioned that your hair is heat damaged and that you have been transitioning for about 18 months. That is good that you recognized what was the issue and are working toward having healthy hair. Good for you and your lovely hair!

The point I wanted to mention is that the ends of the hair often determine the appearance and feel of all the hair. It looks like about 1/2 of your hair still has some heat damage. The look and feel, of your entire head of hair, are going to be dominated by those damaged, unhealthy, ends.

I am in no way telling you to cut your hair. I encourage people to cut damaged hair ONLY when they feel ready to do so. Otherwise, that can be overwhelming and actually spin you off the path of a healthy hair journey to never return. I struggle with trims, myself.

@prettyinpurple summed up perfectly what I believe is a big part of your issue:
"Are you ready to cut off the old hair? Dealing with two textures is no fun and they both have different needs IMO. That should stop some of the tangling hair too."

I think she is spot-on.

@trueheartofgold,
Stay encouraged. It does require patience and persistence. In all your posts you are open and receptive to the wisdom, knowledge and experience all these wonderful ladies have offered and suggested. That speaks volumes about you. You have continued to ask clarifying questions, which is persistence. If you have transitioned for 18 months, you definitely have patience! I believe you will successfully resolve this situation with your hair. Keep going!

I'm crying (big baby)! Thank you so much for those kind words! Everyone here is so positive and willing to help and this is why I decided to come here and ask questions. I was supposed to cut the damage off earlier this month but I got nervous since I don't know what to do with it and I'm struggling with the dryness. I also have sections of my hair that have little damage left and the front (as in the picture) has much more damage. It seems like the new growth at the "shorter" than the rest of my head. I'm thinking about cutting it off as soon as possible and wearing a wig. I just need to do some more research since I want to make sure my hair is taken care of the right way under the wig. I'm also experiencing excessive shedding and breakage so I think cutting the rest of the damage is best. Thank you again...

YvetteWithJoy

On break
YW!

Water is the ONLY thing that hydrates.

Everything else either binds to water and helps hold the water in your hair, seals in water, or moisturizes hair in whatever state it's in: hydrated or not. To hydrate is to infuse with water. To moisturize, if I recall correctly, is to add softening and emollient substances to the hair.

I kept moisturizing dry instead of hydrated hair in the beginning. Once I started using Oyin Hair Dew to moisturize hydrated hair, things turned around for me.

Your fix might differ:
I'm sure there are water-based moisturizers that do wonders to moisturize DRIED (non-wet) hair for some folks' hair. I haven't yet had success with that on my natural hair.

EDIT: FOR HYDRATION and MOISTURE, I MUST MOISTURIZE WET HAIR and let it DRY with MOISTURIZER IN.

And, I know I keep mentioning Oyin Hair Dew, but it's possible that it will do little for your hair. If it doesn't, don't fret! You'll find a moisturizer that will work for your hair. :smile:

True, I added an edit in blue because my previous post wasn't clear about this. It may or may not help you at all, but just in case! ;)

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
No, not the mayo. This one:

Thanks for the info! What products from the Elasta QP line do you use (shampoo, leave in, daily moisturizer, etc.)? A lot of people recommend the Creme Shampoo. I read a lot of recent reviews on Amazon and people said that they changed the formula and it now contains sulfates and causes dry hair. Do you use it?

What gel did you use? Does it play well with your leave in and daily moisturizer?

Also, is the Silk Elements you're referring to this one: http://www.sallybeauty.com/intense-conditioning-mayonnaise/SBS-373223,default,pd.html#q=silk+elements&start=48

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 43

Holla

Here is the link: https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/deep-conditioner-for-dry-hair.800173/#post-23235501

HEADS UP: The thread is about DC-Ing on dry . . . as in NON-WET . . . hair. :lol: I know. :look:

Still a good thread, though!

I DC on dry hair (Prepoo). It has worked well for me for years...as a relaxed head and now as a natural head. It works better than applying DC to wet hair because wet hair is filled with water so the DC is not being absorbed as much. DCing on dry hair also helps strands during washing - I apply shampoo to my scalp and as the poo runs down the length of my strands, the DC prevents the poo from stripping my strands with the harsh cleansers and keeps the strands moisturized. There is nothing better than leaving a shower with a very clean scalp and moisturized strands.

Don't knock it until you try it. :look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I DC on dry hair (Prepoo). It has worked well for me for years...as a relaxed head and now as a natural head. It works better than applying DC to wet hair because wet hair is filled with water so the DC is not being absorbed as much. DCing on dry hair also helps strands during washing - I apply shampoo to my scalp and as the poo runs down the length of my strands, the DC prevents the poo from stripping my strands with the harsh cleansers and keeps the strands moisturized. There is nothing better than leaving a shower with a very clean scalp and moisturized strands.

Don't knock it until you try it. :look:

I'm not knocking it! :lol:

I DC on died hair . . . just on CLEAN dried hair. I agree with you 100%: Water in hair can block the DC's tiny, hair-penetrating ingredients.

I was only saying in the thread that a sciency hair lady does not advise DCing on DIRTY dried hair.

ETA: The reason I added the eye-roll-and-smile emoticon in my post to True about DCing on dry hair was because she wants to know about DCing on hair that stays dry (unmoisturized and unhydrated), but the thread is about DCing on dried hair (unwet hair).

Holla

I'm not knocking it! :lol:

I DC on died hair . . . just on CLEAN dried hair. I agree with you 100%: Water in hair can block the DC's tiny, hair-penetrating ingredients.

I was only saying in the thread that a sciency hair lady does not advise DCing on DIRTY dried hair.

ETA: The reason I added the eye-roll-and-smile emoticon in my post to True about DCing on dry hair was because she wants to know about DCing on hair that stays dry (unmoisturized and unhydrated), but the thread is about DCing on dried hair (unwet hair).

I agree - I don't DC on hair with a lot of product buildup or that is otherwise unclean. I don't wait until my hair is dirty to clean it. I wash it often enough to maintain cleanliness just like with my body. Plus the only time hair gets conditioned is when it is washed; to improve the conditon of one's hair, one should wash it often enough.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@trueheartofgold, hi! :wave:

I don't want you to have information overload, so no need to look at this now unless you just want to do so.

I'm just going to drop this here because someone just shared this with me to help me with my detangling/knotting issues but it is all about MOISTURIZING dry hair. I'll forget to share it with you if I don't share it now.

The source has VERY nice hair and is VERY knowledgeable.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/you-need-a-moisture-drenched-pre-poo.509482/

Take care!

happycakes

Double post for those that missed my updated post.

UPDATE: Co-washing often helps soften my natural hair and reduces tangles. I use a good detangling conditioner (non silicone) on my dry hair, bag it and rinse it out either in a hour or the next day.

Each time I do this, I put my hair in two stranded twists and I tie it down til it's dry. Please note that this is easy for me since I wear my hair in a protective style (wig). My hair dries to a very soft texture and I repeat these steps every other day or so. It's soooo easy.

Here's the conditioner that I use and I get no build up from using it.

http://www.sheamoisture.com/Manuka-Honey-Mafura-Oil-Intensive-Hydration-Conditioner_p_1345.html

I cut back on the shampooing to once a month and yes my scalp is clean even with the co-washing, simply because it has no silicone build up.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

Last edited:

JerriBlank

Double post for those that missed my updated post.

UPDATE: Co-washing often helps soften my natural hair and reduces tangles. I use a good detangling conditioner (non silicone) on my dry hair, bag it and rinse it out either in a hour or the next day.

Each time I do this, I put my hair in two stranded twists and I tie it down til it's dry. Please note that this is easy for me since I wear my hair in a protective style (wig). My hair dries to a very soft texture and I repeat these steps every other day or so. It's soooo easy.

Here's the conditioner that I use and I get no build up from using it.

http://www.sheamoisture.com/Manuka-Honey-Mafura-Oil-Intensive-Hydration-Conditioner_p_1345.html

I cut back on the shampooing to once a month and yes my scalp is clean even with the co-washing, simply because it has no silicone build up.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

Ooh, amazing reviews on this condish. I'm getting this asap! Hopefully it works well on my son's hair too. I've seen this and never paid attention to it. Thanks for the rec!

happycakes

Yes, I love this conditioner. It doesn't shrink your hair up as some conditioners do, so it's not tangled when you rinse it out.

Make sure to smooth a little on your ends first when unraveling your twists. It kinda straightens them out which helps to keep your ends from tangling up.

I used a different conditioner for my co-wash (Tresemee Undone) yesterday and my hair was still tangled when I rinsed it out. :( I'll stick to what works from now on.........

I know for sure this conditioner works for me. Please let me know how this works for you JerriBlank. :)

Ooh, amazing reviews on this condish. I'm getting this asap! Hopefully it works well on my son's hair too. I've seen this and never paid attention to it. Thanks for the rec!

JerriBlank

Yes, I love this conditioner. It doesn't shrink your hair up as some conditioners do, so it's not tangled when you rinse it out.

Make sure to smooth a little on your ends first when unraveling your twists. It kinda straightens them out which helps to keep your ends from tangling up.

I used a different conditioner for my co-wash (Tresemee Undone) yesterday and my hair was still tangled when I rinsed it out. :( I'll stick to what works from now on.........

I know for sure this conditioner works for me. Please let me know how this works for you JerriBlank. :)

Lord, just based on my son's hair, I'm ready to stock up. He has super fine type 3 hair. His curls frizz do easily. I went out and got this asap, added a small bit to his hair to see how it responds. It has never felt like this! Baby condishes make his hair feel rough for some reason. My baby's hair is soft and silky, even his coarse spot. His hair is shiny, and curls look awesome, without using anything else. Thank you so much, I can't wait to use it on my hair! At least I found something for my lil dude. I really appreciate it!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I tried to find this one this past wknd, but I think they changed the packaging. Isn't the jar brown now?

I saw it in Sally's yesterday in the pinkish jar with a brown lid.

I went to Ulta and read the ingredients on the Joico Balm. A non water soluble silicone is high up on the list. I decided to hold off and wait until I'm ready to do the silicones-sulfates thing.

Instead I exchanged a Shea Moisture masque previously bought for the Honey Manuka conditioner. Washed and shower-steamed my hair then tried the conditioner very quickly this morning.

Initial, first-use impression: Super good. Very moisturizing.

Just popped in to post that. About to early vote, so logging out. :smile:

trueheartofgold

I don't know. I haven't bought anything in ages. I'm going through my stash, so I'm staying out of Sally's.

Hi curlicarib, if you don't mind: can you take a picture of the ingredients of your Silk Elements so I can compare with the new product they have in Sally's. Maybe its the same just new packaging. Thank you.

yodie

I brought one of those individual use packages of SE condish and the consistency is different than what I used to use in the yellow jar with the brown lid.

trueheartofgold

I use the leave-in spray, leave-in cream, mango butter. I used the cream as a moisturizer too and sealed with the butter. I use Design Essentials avocado shampoo. And SE Mega moisture treatment in the tan jar with the brown lid for a dc. I use ors mayo for protein once a month.
I stopped using gel all of the time because I wasn't doing wash n gos frequently.

shortdub78, the Design Essentials has Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein as one of the ingredients. Does it make your hair soft? Thank you.