Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

GeorginaSparks

ADVICE NEEDED: The main reason why I relaxed again was because of KNOTS. I had them all over my hair and at one point was ripping/tearing them out of frustration. What caused it and how can I prevent it from re-occuring?

pookaloo83

shockolate said:
ADVICE NEEDED: The main reason why I relaxed again was because of KNOTS. I had them all over my hair and at one point was ripping/tearing them out of frustration. What caused it and how can I prevent it from re-occuring?

Sometimes it's from she'd hair getting caught onto your strands or from it just being tightly coiled. That's why I keep my hair stretched and do braidouts. I stopped with the twist outs because it didn't stretch my hair as much and caused ssk's for me. And I make sure to dust every 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Last edited:

GeorginaSparks

Sometimes it's from she'd hair getting caught onto your strands or from it just being tightly coiled. That's why I keep my hair stretched and do braidouts. I stopped with the twist outs because it didn't stretch my hair as much and caused ssk's for me. And I make sure to dust every 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

oh yeah i def didnt dust lol. WTH is ssk???

Austro-Afrikana

pookaloo83 OMG thank you for reminding me of this! Up until about a year ago I ONLY used braidouts as a stretching mechanism, and I don't remember having an ssk problem. But then I got lazy and started doing twists and twist outs instead as they took less time to put in and less time to take out and behold, ssks. I will go back to braids set with perm rods on the ends thanks to you :grin:

PureSilver

@SUNSHINE_BABY

Re the SSKs: if you are regularly applying Megatek to your scalp, and you're not taking or using anything to combat the shedding that comes along with it (garlic pills, garlic conditioner etc.), you're going to experience excessive shedding, which is going to lead to SSKs.

Thin Edges: I too suffer from this problem from my years of weave use/abuse. When I started my LHHJ nearly 2 yrs ago, I knew I had to give up my beloved weaves if I wanted my edges to recover. You may have to arrive at this conclusion too :( Wigs can be a good alternative....just be sure to get a good silk/satin cap to wear under your wig and lay the edges of the wig on the *cap*, not on your edges. I also make sure I keep my edges *well* moisturized and sealed/massaged daily with castor oil.

Questions: Why do you oil your scalp with WGO and glycerine? I've never heard of anyone doing this before. And....how are you wearing your hair under the wigs?

Its more moisture for me which i think i need. It really doesnt affect my hair. I do wear a wig cap, i usually get my hair braided all back and i moisturize the ends, gather them together in a plait and tuck it under.

PureSilver

@LightEyedMami I know that others have addressed you, but I'd really like to reiterate that you need more moisture in your strands!! I suggest you deep condition with AOHSR or GIO SAS more often, and use a stronger protein; perhaps AOGPB, before you begin to heat train. If not, you will begin to melt your strands with the heat. :sad:

How do you maintain your twists? Do you seal your ends? Are you sure to trim your ends to lessen the occurrence of SSKS? Join the Twist/Braid/ Bun challenge! We will support you during this time.

@softblackcotton WnG is a no-no if you're having moisture problems; it was time to protective style! Ditch the TT, and Shea Moisture, and experiment with other conditioning brands for moisturizing your hair. Also, you need a light protein to combat breakage and to allow more moisture into the strand. Do you seal with an oil? Make a spritz for your extensions as well and use it 3-4x a week. Your hair may need a lot of TLC under the weight of the added hair.

@lushcoils You need to simplify your regimen. You are doing a lot with a lot of products, but not seeing the benefit.

I know you have an itchy scalp; do you have eczema too? Do you use a natural pomade to soothe the scalp? I would try a tea-tree oil and neem based pomade to address your scalp. Sulfate free shampoos can still strip the hair and scalp if used excessively; you are not adding enough moisture back into your hair and scalp to justify its usage. Have you tried co-washing?

Many of your products have protein; your poo, your moisturizer, you use AOGPB once a week, and then you wear extensions. It's too much at one time, causing your hair to shed and break.

You have the garlic shampoo, try that. It will dry your hair out, so be sure to use AOHSR mixed with your castor oil and steam it in afterwards. Then, air dry in twists or braids and protective style. For daily maintenance, make a spritz of AOHSR, AVJ, a tiny bit of oil, and lots of water. Seal your ends 3-4x week. If you must, sleep in your baggy. This should turn your hair around for the better, but it will take time.

@SUNSHINE BABY Your products have a lot of protein too. You need a more moisture in your strands! Do you have castor oil to massage into your edges for the baby fine areas? Do you seal the ends of your hair under the wig? When was your last trim?

Yes i do need another trim, i believe the SSKs were formed after my last flat iron in February. I did use a heat protectant too. I'm not using castor oil on my edges now i'm using WGHO, i know the wig is contributing to my thinning edges and also how my hair is braided backwards. My braider usually catches all hairs when she is braid.....my hair suffers when i cannot go to her to get it done. Gotta change that

diadall

I just wet my hair and applied conditioner. The ends are curly but the roots and base looks like cotton.

What da heck going on? What can I do get the roots like the rest?

Dont most people have the opposite problem?

Bublin

Hair profile? Natural. Mainly 4a with 3c areas around the perimeter (for years I always thought I had heat damage but after nearly a year without heat I now realise that it's natural. My hair looks weird when wet :ohwell:)
Extremely thin and fragile strands but very dense. Hates glycerin and protein (just need a mild and a little bit every now and then). Low Porisity. Sheds like crazy. Currently APL.

Products? Ha, after 2 years of being natural I have finally got my products/reggie down.
Main shampoo Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo
Any moisturising DC.
ORS Creamy Aloe for clarifying/cheleting.
Keracare Leave-in
Keracare Headress as my moisturiser
Castor Oil/Almond Oil mix in an applicator bottle with some eo oils added.
HS Combs - da bomb!!!

Reggie? Wash hair in 4 braids, undo each one and comb through whilst shampoo is still in it, ensuring all shed hair has been removed. The Argan Oil poo has excellent slip. Rinse and repeat for all 4 braids. Then apply DC to each braid, cover and sit under hooded drier for a while. Rinse and apply my products (undoing each braid). I wash once a week. I have found more often is too much manipulation. I don't us gels or any other styling aid so I don't have too much build up. I know it needs washing when it gets too dry.

How do you style your hair? Got to keep that hair stretched. I never ever do washngos :nono:. I do braid outs, set on very wet hair. It's the only way I can work on my hair without it tangling and breaking. I make sure to cainrow the hair line that way i never have a fuzzy/old looking braid out at the front. I wear braid out buns mainly but style the front differently to how i feel.
I re braid every night but much bigger plaits and always re cornrow the hair line. I don't do this on dry hair - use my spray bottle to re wet and it dries by the morning. I re-seal with my CO mix nearly every night. It stops my ends 'sticking' together and then breaking off.

What problems do you have with your hair? Frizz is crazy and my hair naturally 'looks' dry so for nearly a year I have stopped all use of heat (expect whilst DC'ing) and that has helped alot. CO helps to make hair shiney. My hair breaks off at the ends really easily so regular dusting is a must and has helped with this problem. Shrinkage is crazy.

Last edited:

JudithO

DarkJoy

Nice thread! May I join?

Hair profile? 4B (probably C which I never hear anyone mention!), very fine, NL Stretched, TWA unstretched

Reggie and products?
In the coffee/tea challenge so using tea spritzes to soften daily and sealing with my own mix of cocoa butter, shea, mango.

Products: Shea Moisture line
DC and amla 1x a week
2x a month henna

How do you style your hair?
Wash and Gos, dry twist outs, plain old 'fro. Have Curlformers but no time to try them yet! Plus I didn't get the dern hook tool. Will order soon.

What problems do you have with your hair?
drydrydry. The shrinkage is annoying but after this wash n go that has me at a cute lookin TWA with all the shrinkage, I'm better with it.

Also, my sides and crown like to break and stay short. The back and bangs don't really break much. Lots of SSKs but I think that goes with the territory. They are in the BACK which doesn't really break, so that's odd...

You NEED to protective style with your texture.... Join the twists/braids challenge for 3 months and see how much you retain... Your hair profile sounds very similar to my natural texture.. and wearing any "out" styles never did the trick.... Also... After you DC (both protein, then moisture), use a castor oil based creme like Qhemet's AOHC or any castor oil mix to seal. Also look at the ingredient in your DC's.... Your hair may not like that shea moisture stuff.. cos your hair should *not* be coming coming out dry.. Let us know how it goes.

LightEyedMami

@LightEyedMami

How often do you wash your hair or moisturize it? your problems sounds like a lack of moisture getting into your strands... do you DC? how often?

Why have you decided to heat train?Do you prefer straighter styles? Want to ease detangling? I asked because if your hair is suffering, and you start heat training, it will make the problem worse... and those twists that you are currently tired of? You may never get them back again..... Just because of the amount of support and knowledge available, I feel more confident in a relaxer, texlaxer, texturizer if I prefer to wear straight styles... Heat training is such unfamiliar territory that you may not have too much help available if you need it..

@ judy4all I have decided to heat train because my hair is wayyy to dry, it NEVER accepts (and keeps) moisture unless it has been straightened. I dont prefer straight styles, but at this point the only style i can wear is twists because my hair is always so dry and knotty, i have been wearing twists since i was 16 and im now 23 so if i never wear them again, im ok with that...my hair does great with heat, but BAD with chemicals so i could never risk its health by doing relaxing or texlaxing....I have been very careful about my heat use, i deep condition and do light protein treatments weekly and use low-moderate heat only...

Smiley79

Struggling is an understatment, Im ready to throw in the towel and tex-lax this week. Im so over natural and my journal has been less than fun. Only nice thing was being chemical free. Im ready to try the Sylvers2 method and call it a day.

Didnt even bother answering the questions because I've done this so much already and tried every tip and advice known to man. :)

lushcoils

Ok, so this protein once a week with gbp, dcing once a week, moisturizing with a spray of water/conditioner/aloe and sealing with castor oil every other day, baggy only a few times a week, shampoo only once a week; isn't really working as well as I thought it would. I'm not sure what to do next. :look: sighs

NefertariBlu

Hey ladies, I have been natural for a LONG time but I am still trying things out to work on my hair. I have found some staple products to help with dryness so that's not a major problem for me now. However, I do want help with protective styling as I feel that my hair doesn't do well being manipulated too much. I have fine 4c hair and twists/braids look awful on me so I don't want twists or braids.

I have been doing tuck and roll hair styles which I like. Can anyone suggest any protective styles that don't involve twists? I have tried twist outs and every one of them has failed. I just don't get great definition at all.

Although I am a little fed up, I'm not interested in chemicals, just looking for protective styles I can set for a week or longer.

yardyspice

Hey ladies, I have been natural for a LONG time but I am still trying things out to work on my hair. I have found some staple products to help with dryness so that's not a major problem for me now. However, I do want help with protective styling as I feel that my hair doesn't do well being manipulated too much. I have fine 4c hair and twists/braids look awful on me so I don't want twists or braids.

I have been doing tuck and roll hair styles which I like. Can anyone suggest any protective styles that don't involve twists? I have tried twist outs and every one of them has failed. I just don't get great definition at all.

Although I am a little fed up, I'm not interested in chemicals, just looking for protective styles I can set for a week or longer.

Have you thought about wigs?

yardyspice

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a fine hair natural on here who has successfully thickened her hair?
2. Will one pass of a flat iron damage my hair? I tried the @westNDNbeauty method (which works perfectly) and it worked but I am worried that one pass could still damage my fine strands.
3. Anyone use curlformers just stretch so they can do twist- or braid-outs? Has it damaged your hair?

TIA

JudithO

1. Is there a fine hair natural on here who has successfully thickened her hair?
2. Will one pass of a flat iron damage my hair? I tried the @westNDNbeauty method (which works perfectly) and it worked but I am worried that one pass could still damage my fine strands.
3. Anyone use curlformers just stretch so they can do twist- or braid-outs? Has it damaged your hair?

TIA

Possibly.... I've gotten damage from one pass before... but my hair is super fine, and texture super kinky.

destine2grow

judy4all said:
Hello Ladies,

I thought it would be useful for everyone struggling with their natural hair to come in here and get some support and help. That way, everyone, natural or relaxed, can chime in.

The intent is not to encourage anyone to go natural/go relaxed... Intent is to help you accomplish what YOU want with your hair.

If you have issues you are struggling with.. Please share...

Hair profile? E.g 4B, really fine strands, density.. I am 4A with a small part of 3C in thr back

Reggie and products? E.g wash and DC weekly with X, Y, and Z products I cowash 3x a week when wearing wng's. If I am wearing twist I cowash once a week and I DC everytime water touches my hair.

How do you style your hair? E.g I wear it out, or bun etc I mostly wear wng's. Some twists and twist outs.

What problems do you have with your hair?
SSK and split ends. I also don't feel like my hair kr retaining any length.

I have about 4in of hair. I believe my SSK and split ends come from too much manipulation and just being lazy. I also haven't been using any protein.

I have decided to do the CG method and see how it works for me. Please help me. I am going to be one year natural in June and feel like I am just lost.

yardyspice

Possibly.... I've gotten damage from one pass before... but my hair is super fine, and texture super kinky.

My hair is superfine as well. It's the only disappointment I've had with my natural hair. I thought my hair was going to be like this but instead it's more like this but longer.

JudithO

^ lol.... I feel your pain.. and I found out the hard way... Those lush twists? I can only dream about them.

JudithO

@LightEyedMami

How often do you wash your hair or moisturize it? your problems sounds like a lack of moisture getting into your strands... do you DC? how often?

Why have you decided to heat train?Do you prefer straighter styles? Want to ease detangling? I asked because if your hair is suffering, and you start heat training, it will make the problem worse... and those twists that you are currently tired of? You may never get them back again..... Just because of the amount of support and knowledge available, I feel more confident in a relaxer, texlaxer, texturizer if I prefer to wear straight styles... Heat training is such unfamiliar territory that you may not have too much help available if you need it..

@ judy4all I have decided to heat train because my hair is wayyy to dry, it NEVER accepts (and keeps) moisture unless it has been straightened. I dont prefer straight styles, but at this point the only style i can wear is twists because my hair is always so dry and knotty, i have been wearing twists since i was 16 and im now 23 so if i never wear them again, im ok with that...my hair does great with heat, but BAD with chemicals so i could never risk its health by doing relaxing or texlaxing....I have been very careful about my heat use, i deep condition and do light protein treatments weekly and use low-moderate heat only...

As long as you are sure that your hair can handle the heat. If your hair is not accepting moisture, then I think you have to figure out why and I dont think that heat will fix it... BUT everyone's hair is very different, and your hair may react very well to heat. Keep us posted please.

Struggling is an understatment, Im ready to throw in the towel and tex-lax this week. Im so over natural and my journal has been less than fun. Only nice thing was being chemical free. Im ready to try the Sylvers2 method and call it a day.

Didnt even bother answering the questions because I've done this so much already and tried every tip and advice known to man. :)

So sorry you are struggling so much... I recently relaxed, but even though my hair is easier to manipulate, i'm finding out that my relaxed hair and my natural hair are very very similar in their likes/dislikes so soak up everything you know as a natural... it may come in handy texlaxed.

detangling :nono:

Ok, so this protein once a week with gbp, dcing once a week, moisturizing with a spray of water/conditioner/aloe and sealing with castor oil every other day, baggy only a few times a week, shampoo only once a week; isn't really working as well as I thought it would. I'm not sure what to do next. :look: sighs

Your reggie is too complex... You need to stop and breathe. Does your hair like GBP? If yes, I suggest that once a week, you shampoo lightly, DC with GBP and leave it there. Daily... spray your hair with water morning and evening. Nothing else..... Ive learnt the hard way that less is more... Join the Twist/Braid challenge and leave your hair alone and I promise you will see progress... but please stop stressing and trying too many things.... It never works....

Can you post a picture of your hair loose and in twists? Ive never met a 4c head of hair that cannot wear twists well .. I mean.. that's what our hair is designed for... :rolleyes: .... What about cornrows? Can you go to someone to cornrow your hair straight back every other week?

TIA

I know I answered 2 already... but

1. Not that I know... Some people swear by Henna, Cassia etc.... Personally, I dont think that anything can really permanently thicken up your strands... but I may be wrong...

3. Braid outs.... No damage... I do it with Qhemet's AOHC and after it dries, it's soft and easy to manipulate.

SSK and split ends. I also don't feel like my hair kr retaining any length.

I have about 4in of hair. I believe my SSK and split ends come from too much manipulation and just being lazy. I also haven't been using any protein.

I have decided to do the CG method and see how it works for me. Please help me. I am going to be one year natural in June and feel like I am just lost.

The CG method is NOT going to solve your problem. My hair relaxed/natural must be protective styled for me to retain any length. Please trim your ends, embrace protective styling (you can weave it up for some change) and smile your way down to lush hair...

Nubenap22

Hair profile? 4b/a with 3c nape.... Dense foolery SL

Reggie and products? Henna once a month, Poo's:Giovanni or hairrules clarifying, Conditioners: B.A.S.K.'sYam (delish stuff), bumble bumblebee rich, miss Jessie's super sweet back,my honey child olive olive or honey one.

How do you style your hair? E.g I wear it out, or bun etc just finished a twist and braid challenge so since new yrs it's been twists small, chunky, and I just took down some pixie braids done on my own hair without weave added. I 90% of the time kept the twists and braids in a ponytail or some kind of gunned or pinned style.

What problems do you have with your hair? My ends. Everything else is gravy I'm learning a lot but these ends make we want to transition again!!! I have had 2 trims so far this yr and I need to either dust or trim again. Not so much ssk anymore but splits. I've been bagging the ends sometimes and it helps me retain the moisture and then I'll seal ( java bean pomade by bask) I know my hair is growing. I just can't seem to retain it. I've tried all kinds of things but for this month of may I'm going to see how my hair likes being stretched continuously. Then see how my ends are.

For the summer I. Either going to do the pixie brides agin or weave. But the fall and spring it will be weave/wig.

NefertariBlu

Have you thought about wigs?

Wigs don't suit me, however I have got a half wig that I like. Full wigs make me look like an old woman:nono:

However, I like braid extentions not really into wigs though. I'm looking for styles with my own hair as I have been wearing braids for the past year.

ETA: I did do a twist out this morning. I know what the problem was. I didn't use enough gel for my twists so they didn't come out well defined. However, it was rainning this morning and within an hour my hair puffed up and all my definition was gone so I just wore a puff.

Its ok though as now I know how to do a twist out, I can't seperate my hair much because it puffs out too quickly so will have to try again when its not so rainy.

So back to the style challenged drawing board.

Last edited:

NefertariBlu

judy4all trust me when I say, twists look a hot mess on me lol. I don't like how they look. You know what, I'm a subscriber on your YT channel, I just noticed by your name :)

I'm really style challenged. I suppose I just need to really practice.

JudithO

NefertariBlu Yay @ being a subbie :) ... While you are practicing... please get some kinky twists or something to keep you off your hair.... Or find a good braider.

destine2grow

judy4all I wany to get a trim but I am scared to go to a salon to have a stylist do it. I guesd I can take my flat twist a loose one at a time and trim the ends myself.

I am noy against getting a weave. I am having a hard time finding someone that can do a full weave.

destine2grow

I am going to have my sis make me a wig and sew it on. I also want to learn how to do it myself.

Here is a pic of the wig my sis made. She is wearing it. She sewed it on.

Dominique bob.jpg