Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

faithVA

Been reading the posts on this thread and the struggle is real!! I just recently found the coily queens regimen and am braided up for the next 10 weeks. Just wondering have any of you looked at the pH of your products? I noticed a big difference in my hair when I became conscious of pH of products. Made my curls pop and I stayed moisturized for days when before I was M&Sing every day.

I pay attention to the ph of my products and it has made a difference. I make sure that my final step has a ph between 4.5 and 5.5. My hair feels smoother, less frizzy and as you said stays moisturized longer. I also ended up with fewer SSKs.

I found that anything at a 7 raised my cuticles so I have to make sure at my leave-in step I bring the ph down to at least a 6.

faithVA

I was thinking about getting the tangle teezer...is there a better brush that's similar?

Some people like the Wet Brush which you can get at Sally's. Or a Conair Brush which has stronger bristles if your hair is thicker.

I have all of them and I change up depending on what my hair is doing.

xxinsanexxchels

Can anyone tell me why my hair DESPISES shea? Nearly all my products have shea in them on some level and NONE of them work. I have porous 3C/4A texture with dense coarse strands.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Can anyone tell me why my hair DESPISES shea? Nearly all my products have shea in them on some level and NONE of them work. I have porous 3C/4A texture with dense coarse strands.

So does mine. The only product with Shea I've been able to use is the jane Carter curl defining cream. I think the high water content balances out the shea.

girlonfire

Anyone here like macadamia oil or argan oil? These 2 specifically interest me. I'm not really a fan of daily.or semi daily wetting between washes do i feel that these two may help to nourish

Lynn84

Mine too and its so hard to find products without shea.

Coconut makes me itch like mad and I have the worst time finding products without it so I just pop a benadryl and put up with it sometimes. :-(

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Anyone here like macadamia oil or argan oil? These 2 specifically interest me. I'm not really a fan of daily.or semi daily wetting between washes do i feel that these two may help to nourish

girlonfire I love them both...especially argan oil alone....or both in hair products and oil mixes like Shea Moisture Elixir. Only thing is argan oil is hella expensive...macadamia oil is a little more affordable but not nearly as nourishing to my strands as argan. When my pockets are right, I'll splurge...if not I'll settle for the Shea Moisture or just some coconut oil.

JaneBond007

I love argan. I had macadamia nut butter from Camden Grey and it was good, esp. in a butter mix. But I don't like them as they are too heavy. Surprisingly, Organix Argan serum and the light spray are wonderful!!! I just love them both.

beauti

you guys! :cry3: I've been cowashing a lot to retain moisture. If I don't cowash then I have to moisturize like everyday. My goal is to go an entire week without undoing my bun just to reup the moisture. Is anyone here using such a product or do I need to suck it up and remoisturize every day? :sad:

LimitedEdition

you guys! :cry3: I've been cowashing a lot to retain moisture. If I don't cowash then I have to moisturize like everyday. My goal is to go an entire week without undoing my bun just to reup the moisture. Is anyone here using such a product or do I need to suck it up and remoisturize every day? :sad:

This is my exact struggle. I've been using KCKT and sealing with grapeseed oil everyday but I wish I could find something that was longer lasting. I did ventureout and tried Giovanni Direct Leave in. I think Im going to put it directly in the trash. :sad:

The KCKT is moisturizing but it doesnt last as long as I want it to. Im thinking moisturizing once a day will just be my fate.

beauti

This is my exact struggle. I've been using KCKT and sealing with grapeseed oil everyday but I wish I could find something that was longer lasting. I did ventureout and tried Giovanni Direct Leave in. I think Im going to put it directly in the trash. :sad:

The KCKT is moisturizing but it doesnt last as long as I want it to. Im thinking moisturizing once a day will just be my fate.

nooo! There has to be something out there :whyme: the thing is I'm a product junkie so I'm sure I've concocted things in the past but I want something readymade :look:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
beauti

Are you heavy sealing? Do you LCO?

I only LCO 2-3 a week. Two if it's up and the ends are protected. Three when it's out. I always heavy seal my ends. Lady, when you figure out how to keep your hair M&S for a week straight please let me know.

beauti

MileHighDiva I've been doing LCO but have also tried LOC. My issue is my products I think. Everything that was fine during my transition, not so fine now. Aloe Vera gel, shea butter, and I suspect coconut oil. Oh and heavy sealing just leaves my hair greasy.doesn't drink it all in so if I touch my hair my hand comes away shiny.yuck

Last edited:

beauti

I pay attention to the ph of my products and it has made a difference. I make sure that my final step has a ph between 4.5 and 5.5. My hair feels smoother, less frizzy and as you said stays moisturized longer. I also ended up with fewer SSKs.

I found that anything at a 7 raised my cuticles so I have to make sure at my leave-in step I bring the ph down to at least a 6.

faithVA how are you reading the ph in your products? Which products are you using? Maybe this will help me

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
beauti

May I suggest the following LCO combination: Oyin Hair Dew (L), Oyin Whipped Pudding (C), & GSO (O), :lick:

This will result in yummy M&S hair. The GSO is ceramide rich and it will not make your hair greasy, nor weigh it down.

In the winter, I'd heavy seal your ends with Oyin BSP if you live somewhere cold. It doesn't make my hair greasy. In fact, I've been heavy sealing my ends this summer, because of that grease thread.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Oyin is available in some Target stores. I have to order it online, because my none of my Tar-Jay's have it :sad:

Yes, GSO is grape seed oil. Good luck! Also, please report back.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My hair is impossible to detangle on wash days. Dry or damp hair is fine, but when it's freshly washed I lose a LOT of hair. Some shed some broken...

My hair seems slightly gummy and it gets extremely matted near the roots. My texture is 4b with medium strands. The only time my hair is easy to detangle is after a hard protein treatment like Nexxus Emergencee followed by a moisturizing dc.

I think I should clarify and do a protein treatment. I haven't clarified since June (at the salon)

julzinha

My hair is impossible to detangle on wash days. Dry or damp hair is fine, but when it's freshly washed I lose a LOT of hair. Some shed some broken...

My hair seems slightly gummy and it gets extremely matted near the roots. My texture is 4b with medium strands. The only time my hair is easy to detangle is after a hard protein treatment like Nexxus Emergencee followed by a moisturizing dc.

I think I should clarify and do a protein treatment. I haven't clarified since June (at the salon)
You should definitely do it. I was never a consistent protein user, I only used light proteins like Aphogee 2 min. Then I recently started doing Aphogee 2 step mixed with Neutral Protein filler every 6 weeks and my hair has been SOOOOO much better.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
So I clarified and used a protein conditioner. My hair finally feels nice again. It was easy to detangle and I didn't lose a lot of strands. Next wash day I will try a moisturizing dc

A856

Sounds like my current situation.....I'm dreading detangling, washing etc. it's been 3weeks now...bad I know.

What do you use to detangle?

Misseyl

Hair profile?
4C, short hair, low density, with major shrinkage

Reggie and products?
Regimen: Wash, condition, and detangle once every 2-3.
Shampoos: Carol's Daughter mixed with lemongrass oil, As I Am Cleansing Pudding
Conditioners: SheaMoisture
Products for natural styles: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Hair Milk only styling product I use right now.
Products for straightened natural hair: Have not straightened my hair since my chop 1 year 4 months.

How do you style your hair?
I alternate between these styles mainly: bantu-knots and two strand twists.

What problems do you have with your hair?
I'm afraid to wash my hair because it feels like it could go dread at any minute, but once it's washed and conditioned under steam my hair comes to life and I'm back to twisting/bantu knots without issues. I just apply a liberal amoun of SheaMoisture Curl and Style milk and pull it through my hair and it becomes effortless to comb..:afro:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Sounds like my current situation.....I'm dreading detangling, washing etc. it's been 3weeks now...bad I know.

What do you use to detangle?
I use either a wide tooth comb or a rattail comb with medium teeth. I have decided to only wash every 2 weeks or so. I lose the same amount of hair or less when I wash less often