Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have noticed that when I use a growth aid on my scalp (sulfur oil, monistat, xcel21) I experience extreme matting at the roots and buildup. It's almost impossible to wash the oils off of my scalp. I have lathered 2 or 3 times and still had sticky, gummy residue at the roots. As a result, my shed strands are glued to healthy strands and it creates impossible tangles. I don't want to give up growth aids all together, because my hair only grows 1/4 inch a month.

Should I use less product? Shampoo more frequently than once a week? Use a clarifying shampoo each week? I have a bkt so I'm afraid of stripping the treatment if I use a clarifying shampoo too often. I started using my current growth aid Xcel21 in a dropper bottle. I only apply 2-3 pipettes to my entire scalp now. I guess I'll see if the buildup improves next wash day.

Has anyone else experienced matting or buildup from using growth aids? What did you do about it?

Evolving78

I have noticed that when I use a growth aid on my scalp (sulfur oil, monistat, xcel21) I experience extreme matting at the roots and buildup. It's almost impossible to wash the oils off of my scalp. I have lathered 2 or 3 times and still had sticky, gummy residue at the roots. As a result, my shed strands are glued to healthy strands and it creates impossible tangles. I don't want to give up growth aids all together, because my hair only grows 1/4 inch a month.

Should I use less product? Shampoo more frequently than once a week? Use a clarifying shampoo each week? I have a bkt so I'm afraid of stripping the treatment if I use a clarifying shampoo too often. I started using my current growth aid Xcel21 in a dropper bottle. I only apply 2-3 pipettes to my entire scalp now. I guess I'll see if the buildup improves next wash day.

Has anyone else experienced matting or buildup from using growth aids? What did you do about it?
Try ORS cleansing gel. I forgot the name, but you could apply that to your scalp, before you shampoo. I use it when I have braids.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

yes. I noticed that with x-cel and monistat too. I think the pH is off on these products and they make the cuticles rise. using oils to smooth and a decent moisturizer seems to help close them. if its a real problem try a few drops of acv in your routine.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
First-time rough-feeling hair?
Ever since my visit to the salon to get my hair blow dried and trimmed, my hair has felt strangely rough, as though it is made out of some different material now than it was before. At first after the salon visit my hair was also breaking/shedding a bit. Applying the Joico balm put an end to that.

What would cause my hair to start feeling rough, and what should I do about it? I don't recall my hair ever having had this feel to it before, even after clarifying. I keep thinking it's the products the stylist used.

What the Stylist Did and Applied
Here's what the stylist did/applied at the salon (full details/post about the visit, including photos of the hair products, is here): https://blossomingfitnatural.com/2016/11/18/salon-length-check-part-2-of-2/ :
  • To begin, she untwisted my hair and then used a shampoo brush to wash my hair with a Design Essentials shampoo that felt tingly and then with Influance It’s Natural Honey Almond Shampoo.
  • She then conditioned my hair with Influance It’s Natural Honey Almond Conditioner.
  • To blow dry my hair, she applied It’s a 10 and then Design Essentials Bamboo and Silk Leave-in Conditioner.
  • She next trimmed it.
  • Lastly, she took my hair and rolled/twisted it with her hands/fingers and made some kind of interesting style for me to wear out of the salon.
And now, my hair has that strange feel of roughness to it. I'm perplexed! I have done all sorts of deep conditioning for moisture. It works for a span and then wears off and the hair feels rough again. I tried a Komaza protein treatment to see if that was the issue. Didn't help: Just now I shampooed, and my hair feels softer than prior to the shampoo yet still rough to the touch, if that makes any sense.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have any tips, suggestions, ideas, product recommendations, etc? Thanks in advance for any help/insight you might provide.

My hair details:
My hair is natural, 4a, and hipo.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
To begin, she untwisted my hair and then used a shampoo brush to wash my hair with a Design Essentials shampoo that felt tingly and then with Influance It’s Natural Honey Almond Shampoo.
You mentioned your hair felt tingly. I experienced tingly followed by rough feeling hair as you describe once when I added too much peppermint oil to my shampoo because I was trying to create an invigorating shampoo. I had to use a moisturizing DC 3 times in a row to get my hair back right. Peppermint oil/tea tree oil is stimulating for the scalp but drying to the hair. I see DE does make a peppermint shampoo.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy maybe your hair didn't respond well to the products she used.

Or the blowdry roughed up your cuticles. Try an acv or cold water rinse after your next cowash.

You mentioned your hair felt tingly. I experienced tingly followed by rough feeling hair as you describe once when I added too much peppermint oil to my shampoo because I was trying to create an invigorating shampoo. I had to use a moisturizing DC 3 times in a row to get my hair back right. Peppermint oil/tea tree oil is stimulating for the scalp but drying to the hair. I see DE does make a peppermint shampoo.

Thank you both so much. Very helpful.

After reading through LHCF ACV rinse content, I decided to do so after my DC with Jakeala's Beau Vert masque. The ACV rinse did seem to soften my hair up a bit, but I was not able to detangle with it as some have been able to.

The following link details all what I ended up doing, and I hope that the rough feeling does not return! I'll see! Link: https://blossomingfitnatural.com/20...ling-using-jakeala-and-soultanicals-products/

Last edited:

trueheartofgold

Hi everyone! Is it necessary to use a clarifying shampoo if I use a moisturizing shampoo weekly? I do use silicones but only on wash day: dimethicone is in the conditioner I use to detangle (Hello Hydration) and in my deep conditioner (TGIN Mask).

Every clarifying shampoo Ive used (they're all sulfate free) has dried, tangled and matted my hair and made it squeaky clean to the point where it actually squeaks while I'm rinsing.

Is it fine to just use my regular shampoos? I use The Mane Choice Easy On the Curls and TGIN.

Also, is it possible for my hair (including my new growth) to be chronically dry no matter what I do/try due to heat damage ends? Nothing is working. Will things get better if I were to cut all the damage off? Thanks!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi everyone! Is it necessary to use a clarifying shampoo if I use a moisturizing shampoo weekly? I do use silicones but only on wash day: dimethicone is in the conditioner I use to detangle (Hello Hydration) and in my deep conditioner (TGIN Mask).

Every clarifying shampoo Ive used (they're all sulfate free) has dried, tangled and matted my hair and made it squeaky clean to the point where it actually squeaks while I'm rinsing.

Is it fine to just use my regular shampoos? I use The Mane Choice Easy On the Curls and TGIN.

Also, is it possible for my hair (including my new growth) to be chronically dry no matter what I do/try due to heat damage ends? Nothing is working. Will things get better if I were to cut all the damage off? Thanks!

Great questions.

While you await answers, I'll share a link with you. It may help with your first question as it discusses the difference between water-soluble and non-water-soluble silicones: http://blackhairmedia.com/hair-care/silicones-in-hair-products-good-or-bad/.

According to the article, water-soluble silicones can easily be removed with water. Seems then that a moisturizing shampoo should be just fine if the silicones in your products are water-soluble. If not, you might need to use a sulfates-containing shampoo, according to the article. I'm not sure how often. You might try just once a month and see how that fares, and go up to once every 3 weeks if it doesn't seem adequate, or go down to once every 6 weeks if it seems to drying/frequent. And so on until you discover the optimal frequency for de-non-water-soluble-silicone-ing your hair. :smile:

I look forward to others' responses!

Evolving78

Thank you both so much. Very helpful.

After reading through LHCF ACV rinse content, I decided to do so after my DC with Jakeala's Beau Vert masque. The ACV rinse did seem to soften my hair up a bit, but I was not able to detangle with it as some have been able to.

The following link details all what I ended up doing, and I hope that the rough feeling does not return! I'll see! Link: https://blossomingfitnatural.com/20...ling-using-jakeala-and-soultanicals-products/
Hey! I'm just randomly popping in here, but when I used it on my my DD, I used it as spray on dry hair. I didn't use it as rinse. I shampooed her hair afterwards. Vinegar will break down oil, etc but it won't remove it. It doesn't have the properties to wash/clean dirt away. Think of homemade cleaning products. A lot of them will tell you to mix vinegar and dawn dish soap. The vinegar will break the oil/dirt down, and the soap will eat the oil/ dirt away.

faithVA

Try a shampoo with sulfates but it doesn't necessarily have to be a clarifying shampoo. You can also do a mudwash with calcium bentonite. Rhassoul may work as well. I tend to do the mud washes with rhassoul more often because they don't dry out my hair as much.

As far as your dryness, porous ends can make the whole strand feel dry. I had damage due to color and with each inch I cut the better my hair felt.

Have you tried hard protein treatments on your hair. Doing protein with a dusting every 6 weeks may help out if you don't want to cut all at once.

trueheartofgold

Try a shampoo with sulfates but it doesn't necessarily have to be a clarifying shampoo. You can also do a mudwash with calcium bentonite. Rhassoul may work as well. I tend to do the mud washes with rhassoul more often because they don't dry out my hair as much.

As far as your dryness, porous ends can make the whole strand feel dry. I had damage due to color and with each inch I cut the better my hair felt.

Have you tried hard protein treatments on your hair. Doing protein with a dusting every 6 weeks may help out if you don't want to cut all at once.

Hi @faithVA! Thanks for responding! I've done it all in my 21 months of transitioning including the Apghogee Two Step twice but no change. I have eight years of heat damage (excessive heat from Dominican blowouts and a lot of flat ironing). I think at this point my only option may be to cut all the rest of the damage off since no products, techniques and routines are working for me. My hair is hard like Brillo the same day I wash (including the new growth). I hope that my hair makes a change for the better once I cut all the damage off (fingers crossed).

faithVA

Hi @faithVA! Thanks for responding! I've done it all in my 21 months of transitioning including the Apghogee Two Step twice but no change. I have eight years of heat damage (excessive heat from Dominican blowouts and a lot of flat ironing). I think at this point my only option may be to cut all the rest of the damage off since no products, techniques and routines are working for me. My hair is hard like Brillo the same day I wash (including the new growth). I hope that my hair makes a change for the better once I cut all the damage off (fingers crossed).
I can't guarantee that is the cause. Even with porous ends you should get one good day before it dries out. What's your wash day regimen?

trueheartofgold

I can't guarantee that is the cause. Even with porous ends you should get one good day before it dries out. What's your wash day regimen?

Hi @faithVA. Thanks again for responding.
My regimen is as follows:

Detangle prior to shampooing: Spray hair until damp and add Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Let sit for about 20 minutes and finger detangle in four sections.

Shampoo: TGIN

Deep Condition (just started using a steamer two weeks ago): TGIN Mask

Leave In: The Mane Choice

Oil: Grapseed

Air dry in four sections

--Put in a bun to wear throught the week. No other hairsyle works

--Moisturize daily using Shea Moisture Coconut Curl and Style Milk and seal with grapeseed oil

My hair is hard, dry and brittle at the end of my wash day. I have to moisturize it the same night of my wash day and every day thereafter. It never stays moisturized (by the next time I go to moisturize it's hard, brittle and dull). This happens no matter which products I use.

faithVA

Ha
Hi @faithVA. Thanks again for responding.
My regimen is as follows:

Detangle prior to shampooing: Spray hair until damp and add Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Let sit for about 20 minutes and finger detangle in four sections.

Shampoo: TGIN

Deep Condition (just started using a steamer two weeks ago): TGIN Mask

Leave In: The Mane Choice

Oil: Grapseed

Air dry in four sections

--Put in a bun to wear throught the week. No other hairsyle works

--Moisturize daily using Shea Moisture Coconut Curl and Style Milk and seal with grapeseed oil

My hair is hard, dry and brittle at the end of my wash day. I have to moisturize it the same night of my wash day and every day thereafter. It never stays moisturized (by the next time I go to moisturize it's hard, brittle and dull). This happens no matter which products I use.
Have you tried pre-pooing with something that doesn't have cones?

Are you sure your hair likes coconut oil and shea butter?

trueheartofgold

Ha

Have you tried pre-pooing with something that doesn't have cones?

Are you sure your hair likes coconut oil and shea butter?

I've used oils (coconut, avocado and olive) before. I eliminated coconut and tried avocado and olive but no change (probably didn't do it long enough). I started doing the 30 day hair detox which is to eliminate pre pooing with oil and also use products that do not have coconut oil and Shea butter in the first five ingredients. I did so on wash day and same result. I admit I didn't do it for 30 days due to how dry and brittle my hair turned out. I've been looking for a daily moisturizer that doesn't have coconut oil and Shea in the first five ingredients but no luck yet.

faithVA

I've used oils (coconut, avocado and olive) before. I eliminated coconut and tried avocado and olive but no change (probably didn't do it long enough). I started doing the 30 day hair detox which is to eliminate pre pooing with oil and also use products that do not have coconut oil and Shea butter in the first five ingredients. I did so on wash day and same result. I admit I didn't do it for 30 days due to how dry and brittle my hair turned out. I've been looking for a daily moisturizer that doesn't have coconut oil and Shea in the first five ingredients but no luck yet.

How about using a prepoo without cones. You are using cones as a prepoo but I"m not sure your shampoo would remove them.

Not saying to get rid of the coconut oil or shea was just wondering if you know your hair likes them. My hair doesn't usually like coconut oil but it works fine in the TGIN leave-in for whatever reason.

You may need to change your prepoo and wash with a sulfate shampoo to remove all the cones and then try your products out.

trueheartofgold

How about using a prepoo without cones. You are using cones as a prepoo but I"m not sure your shampoo would remove them.

Not saying to get rid of the coconut oil or shea was just wondering if you know your hair likes them. My hair doesn't usually like coconut oil but it works fine in the TGIN leave-in for whatever reason.

You may need to change your prepoo and wash with a sulfate shampoo to remove all the cones and then try your products out.

@faithVA. Will do. Which sulfate shampoo do you recommend? I'm natural but transitioning from heat damage if that matters. Almost all shampoos, sulfate free included strip mat and tangle my hair extremely so that's why I'm asking.

I think my hair may not coconut oil and shea butter either. My hair is fine and cannot take heavy products. How do you manage to work around coconut oil and Shea? What products/techniques have been helpful for you?

I will look for a silicone free conditioner to pre poo. Do you recommend oils as well as the conditioner? Do you still recommend the tgin shampoo and mask?

Thanks for responding. It means so much to me. It's been very difficult for me and I'm so thankful for you ladies on this forum. I'm determined to get to the bottom of the problem.

southerncitygirl

What type of shampoo are you using? Your first 1-2 washes may need to a be a clarifying shampoo and your last wash a moisturizing one. Paul Mitchell tea tree is great though it has sulfates and you can also try (they are not the debil!) their shampoo 2. I don't like putting oils on my scalp unless it's cause its dry. Even them I use a cream, grease or butter type product. Another thing to consider is that your hair may not like oils on the scalp. Are you getting a significant result from sulfur oil growth aides? 1/4 inch a month is normal and the average for most people. You say it as though it's slow and its not. If you know you get 1/4 inch, your main goal should be hair health and retention of the bulk of what you grow. Most folks grow 5-8 inches a year, but most don't retain even 50% of that due to inconsistent or poor hair practices.

ETA: I see you have BKT so sulfates are a no go. Maybe the oil and the BKT aren't compatible? What oils make up your sulfur mix? You could try Giovionni 50:50 or EO essentials shampoo to try and remove buildup then follow with a moisturizing poo. They usually have the liters at places like TJ Maxx/ Marshalls or Home Goods. I just looked up the ingredients in your oil. Petroleum is the top ingredient and is hard to wash out. I noticed petro products can take 3-4 washes to wash out completely. After you are done, maybe consider using another product.

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA. Will do. Which sulfate shampoo do you recommend? I'm natural but transitioning from heat damage if that matters. Almost all shampoos, sulfate free included strip mat and tangle my hair extremely so that's why I'm asking.

I think my hair may not coconut oil and shea butter either. My hair is fine and cannot take heavy products. How do you manage to work around coconut oil and Shea? What products/techniques have been helpful for you?

I will look for a silicone free conditioner to pre poo. Do you recommend oils as well as the conditioner? Do you still recommend the tgin shampoo and mask?

Thanks for responding. It means so much to me. It's been very difficult for me and I'm so thankful for you ladies on this forum. I'm determined to get to the bottom of the problem.

I really don't have a recommendation for a sulfate shampoo. I tend to mud wash. But find a salon level shampoo like KeraCare, Redken, etc. Maybe some of the other ladies in this thread can recommend one. You only need to use it this one time to remove the sulfates so maybe you can just get a shampoo packet from Sally's or a trial size of a shampoo from Ulta.

I have the same issue with shampoo. I used Creme of Nature and Elasta QP which are both sulfate shampooes. However, they are creamy. I'm not sure how good they are at removing sulfates. I also use the TGIN. I only lather once with shampoo unless it has been more than 3 weeks since I washed my hair and I have used a lot of product.

I find the TGIN line to work well with my hair even though it has coconut oil. It is my primary line right now. I have also used As I Am with success. Camille Rose is hit or miss with me. I do better with lines that have a few products versus a lot. I just read the labels before I purchase to avoid the coconut oil and shea. I may still try them if the items are further down on the list.

Do you have a Sally's near by? Try the generic version of the Nexxus Humectress (sp?) from Sally's for your prepoo. I found it to be nice and it's not too expensive. I don't prepoo so I can't say whether you need oils. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. I haven't found that prepooing does anything for my hair. I'm low porosity and I think prepooing works better for normal to high porosity ladies. By the time I'm ready to wash putting anything on my hair is just going to sit on top of all the other products. I may use conditioner to detangle before washing if needed but I don't use oils then.

I personally don't do much with oils because my hair is low porosity and oils tend to prevent water from getting into my strands. Oils can make my hair feel greasy, dry and wiry. They don't help seal or anything else for me.

I do recommend the TGIN shampoo and mask. I actually like the entire line. It is the only line I've ever tried that works for my hair.

If you have a Sally's or Ulta near you check them out for trial sizes to play around with a few things so you don't end up with full size bottles. But also remember they accept returns so if you see something you like and it doesn't work take it back.

Your hair sounds similar to mine. You have to get the shampoo stage right before anything else works. If my hair doesn't feel great after I rinse out the shampoo I typically can't recover even with long deep conditioning sessions, leave-in, LOC, etc.

Daina

@trueheartofgold, first Sis big :bighug:sorry you are struggling with your hair right now. You've gotten some good suggestions from @faithVA. I am so currently transitioning from heat damage because of Dominican salons. I'm not a BC gal so I will transition and trim over time. It can be done, now with better hair practices my hair is thriving. I was APL in December of 2015 and by December 2016 with trims I am between MBL and WL.

Have you ever co-washed? I personally think you might need to lay off the shampoo and maybe start a co-cleanse regimen. I use Wen 613 to conditioner wash but any moisturizing conditioner can work. I also like Keracare Humecto. Instead of shampooing try alternating every week between poo and co-washing. I only use shampoo 2 or 3 times a month on the scalp only. I always use conditioner on the length. For moisturizers try Camille Rose moisture milk or SM JBCO leave-in. Another moisturizer others seem to like that is light is Oyin hair dew. I'm not a fan but my strands aren't fine. I am also a big fan of Qhemet Biologics products.

Your hair sounds like it is out of balance on the moisture side. The final tip I have is to increase your water intake. You have to hydrate from the inside out as well. I drink a gallon a day. Trust me it helps! Good luck!

trueheartofgold

@trueheartofgold, first Sis big :bighug:sorry you are struggling with your hair right now. You've gotten some good suggestions from @faithVA. I am so currently transitioning from heat damage because of Dominican salons. I'm not a BC gal so I will transition and trim over time. It can be done, now with better hair practices my hair is thriving. I was APL in December of 2015 and by December 2016 with trims I am between MBL and WL.

Have you ever co-washed? I personally think you might need to lay off the shampoo and maybe start a co-cleanse regimen. I use Wen 613 to conditioner wash but any moisturizing conditioner can work. I also like Keracare Humecto. Instead of shampooing try alternating every week between poo and co-washing. I only use shampoo 2 or 3 times a month on the scalp only. I always use conditioner on the length. For moisturizers try Camille Rose moisture milk or SM JBCO leave-in. Another moisturizer others seem to like that is light is Oyin hair dew. I'm not a fan but my strands aren't fine. I am also a big fan of Qhemet Biologics products.

Your hair sounds like it is out of balance on the moisture side. The final tip I have is to increase your water intake. You have to hydrate from the inside out as well. I drink a gallon a day. Trust me it helps! Good luck!

Hi @Daina! Thank you for the hug! Trust me I need it! So you've been transitioning for 12 months? Great growth! Congrats!

I've been transitioning for 21 months and to me my hair is still the same lengthwise. I've been trimming every month. I have a lot of breakage. I'm not ready to big chop for length reasons (I have excessive shrinkage). I am ready to chop because of the dryness issues and breakage. I hope that made sense. I would like to solve the dryness issue before I big chop because I feel if I chop and I still have the problem my new growth will suffer and I'll not retain length.

I have Camille Rose moisture milk. When I use it on wet hair it's soft and moisturized. Once my hair is fully dried it's like hay/straw as I mentioned. It sits on my hair if I were to use it as a daily moisturizer.

Oyin hair dew didn't work for me.

How long do you plan on transitioning?

Daina

You're welcome and thank you! @trueheartofgold, what are you sealing with? I do LCOB and use the following: CRN Moisture milk or.Neutrogena Triple Moisture for the liquid. If I'm curly I use SM JBCO leave-in as the liquid. I use QB Burdock Root Butter Cream for the cream, QB Moringa serum or Komaza strengthening oil for the oil and then I seal with QB Honey hair balm or QB Aethiopika Butter. I learned the hard way that you have to layer in the moisture. I wasn't doing that before and my hair was similar to yours and dry by the end of the day. I M&S wash day and then every other day till the next wash day.

I don't plan on BC'ing, I plan to maintain between MBL and WL until the damage is gone. I'm patient and will wait it out. I cut off all the straight ends in the front to see if I could BC and it wasn't for me. I can grow out a bang but can't imagine BC everywhere. When I transitioned to natural I never BC so I have the patience and the experience dealing with 2 different textures. I attached a picture of what my hair and the damage looked like in 15(the pic with the blue t-shirt is Dec of 15) and a picture of now(Dec of 16), long term transitioning is definitely doable.

Attachments

• 2015-12-31 12.50.16.jpg
    2015-12-31 12.50.16.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20161231_074258.jpg
    20161231_074258.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 20

trueheartofgold

@Daina I seal with grapeseed or jojoba oil. I have very fine hair and products sit on my hair easily. For instance I only applied leave in and oil today about four hours ago and I'm still seeing the leave in on my hair.

Your growth is amazing! Such and inspiration! I can't wait to get over this issue so I can focus on healthy hair growth and retention.

Fingers crossed things getter better sooner than later.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@trueheartofgold

I have very little to add but I will say this.

Prepooing can dry your hair out. This is a major reason I cannot prepoo. I eliminated this step a long time ago and I noticed I didn't have dry hair issues.

Paul Mitchell Shampoo One was always my go to. It has sulphates but the formulation was always gentle. And it didn't dry my hair. If anything, stick with clear and not opaque shampoos.

TGIN does contain dimethicone and I noticed after 3 wash days, my hair was dry.

Coconut oil gradually makes my hair hard and shea butter in anything outside of deep conditioner makes my hair hard. The coral line of shea moisture also has silk in some products so that could be it as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
What type of shampoo are you using? Your first 1-2 washes may need to a be a clarifying shampoo and your last wash a moisturizing one. Paul Mitchell tea tree is great though it has sulfates and you can also try (they are not the debil!) their shampoo 2. I don't like putting oils on my scalp unless it's cause its dry. Even them I use a cream, grease or butter type product. Another thing to consider is that your hair may not like oils on the scalp. Are you getting a significant result from sulfur oil growth aides? 1/4 inch a month is normal and the average for most people. You say it as though it's slow and its not. If you know you get 1/4 inch, your main goal should be hair health and retention of the bulk of what you grow. Most folks grow 5-8 inches a year, but most don't retain even 50% of that due to inconsistent or poor hair practices.

ETA: I see you have BKT so sulfates are a no go. Maybe the oil and the BKT aren't compatible? What oils make up your sulfur mix? You could try Giovionni 50:50 or EO essentials shampoo to try and remove buildup then follow with a moisturizing poo. They usually have the liters at places like TJ Maxx/ Marshalls or Home Goods. I just looked up the ingredients in your oil. Petroleum is the top ingredient and is hard to wash out. I noticed petro products can take 3-4 washes to wash out completely. After you are done, maybe consider using another product.
Thanks for responding! I pretty much stopped using oils on my scalp. The only oil I use now is grapeseed oil and that's like once a week. I still use Xcel21 spray daily, but I use it sparingly. Over spraying definitely can cause build up.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It looks like breakage. What did you use to detangle your hair?

I detangled completely differently than I usually do. :(

I usually prewash detangle at the sink with Soultanicals Hair Glide on damp hair.

This time I washed my hair with TGIN shampoo and DC'd and finger detangled my hair in the shower with SM's hipo masque. Then at the sink I used my tiny sample of Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee to fully detangle. Because I only had a little ghee left, I applied a very small amount to just the ends of each section of soaking wet hair. Then I detangled like usual: Wet brush then coarse-toothed comb then fine-toothed comb.

The other day I detangled with the QCTDG and used an ample amount and saw no tiny pieces of hair like that. In fact, I haven't seen tiny pieces of hair like that EVER in my life. :cry3: