Study Conducted to Look at Causes of Hair Loss Among Women

naijamerican

And a sista was the lead author. ;)

From http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/health/research/19hazards.html?src=recg

Hazards: More Culprits in Hair Loss Than Just the Salon
By RONI CARYN RABIN
Many black women suffer from severe permanent hair loss, but little research has been done on the causes of the problem, often dismissed as a cosmetic worry. Still, chemicals used to straighten hair have long been suspected of playing a role.

Now, in one of the first attempts to assess the prevalence of hair loss among black women, researchers have reported that nearly one-third of a group of 326 black women had a type of central hair loss called central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia, or C.C.C.A., which is diagnosed almost exclusively in black women.

The informal study, published online on April 11 in Archives of Dermatology, also found that the women with the most extensive hair loss had higher rates of Type 2 diabetes and bacterial scalp infections than those with mild or no hair loss. Women with extensive hair loss also were significantly more likely to have used braids, weaves and extensions.

Dr. Angela Kyei, the paper’s lead author and chief resident at the Cleveland Clinic Institute of Dermatology and Plastic Surgery, said that while salon styles like tight braids and weaves may contribute to C.C.C.A., medical conditions like Type 2 diabetes may also play a role. People with diabetes tend to be susceptible to infections, including scalp infections, she noted. This may predispose some women to hair loss after salon treatments.

“To dismiss hair loss as a mere cosmetic problem is the wrong approach,” Dr. Kyei added.

I apologize if this has already been posted; I did a search and didn't find anything. :yep: These results are very fascinating and it's good to see this kind of research being done. It also suggests that it's not chemicals that contribute to hair loss; it's the too-tight braids and weaves, combined with genetic predisposition toward diabetes, that can lead to permanent hair loss.

Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone is interested. But again, if it's already been posted, my apologies. :yep:

naijamerican

I also wanted to say that it's a shame that it's not just individuals' hair practices that can lead to permanent hair loss among Black women. I also fault the braiders and weavers who insist on making things too tight and convince patrons of their salons to think that a tighter style will last longer, at the expense of hair and scalp health. It disgusts me that these kinds of practices have contributed to permanently stunting some women's hair growth.

JFemme

I also wanted to say that it's a shame that it's not just individuals' hair practices that can lead to permanent hair loss among Black women. I also fault the braiders and weavers who insist on making things too tight and convince patrons of their salons to think that a tighter style will last longer, at the expense of hair and scalp health. It disgusts me that these kinds of practices have contributed to permanently stunting some women's hair growth.

You and me both... exactly why I stopped seeking out braiders and and such years ago...:yep:

I had a local salon owner tell me straight out, that she knew that the styles she produced were stressing the clients hair health... and that what insured that they would be repeat clients....

Once the damage was done this would send the client into panic mode- cover it at all cost...

A pure dee shame...:nono:

luckiestdestiny

I've been in braids 24/7 the past year and a half (no break in between except once for a week at cannes) and weave for the past 4 months (on and off) and have had tremendous growth. But the same lady did my hair, and she doesn't tug or braid hard (was recommended to her by another lhcf member). And my edges are fine. So....I'm thinking it's the tension and also other health conditions.

naijamerican

I've been in braids 24/7 the past year and a half (no break in between except once for a week at cannes) and weave for the past 4 months (on and off) and have had tremendous growth. But the same lady did my hair, and she doesn't tug or braid hard (was recommended to her by another lhcf member). And my edges are fine. So....I'm thinking it's the tension and also other health conditions.

I agree that it's definitely an issue of tension working in combination with other health conditions. What I found so interesting about this issue is that it's really two unfortunate issues that disproportionately plague Black women: diabetes (and other chronic diseases that might make bacterial infections more common) and poor hair practices from women and their stylists alike - and since stylists are more likely to make the styles tighter than if the braids or weaves were inserted by the woman herself, I'm inclined to assign a greater share of blame to stylists. It's just unfortunate all around. :nono:

JFemme, wow, I can't (and yet, can) believe that! So you're telling me that she basically did it on purpose? Wow. Just wow. :nono: :mad:

chicha you're welcome. :)

naijamerican

I, for one, am glad to hear it's not the chemicals. :look:

:giggle: :giggle:

Even though I'm natural, I agree with you. I know that relaxers can cause harm in the hands of a reckless stylist but it's looking like the damage is more mechanical (styles that are too tight/cause too much tension) than chemical in nature. :yep:

fiyahwerks

I strongly believe it boils down to stress (physical and emotional) and hormone changes. I do agree with the diabetes or any other medical problem that stress the body.

JinaRicci

Thank you for posting. This is very interesting because there's not a lot known about cicatrical alopecia in general and no definitive treatments yet. It's not obvious to me that tight hairstyles would cause CCCA since it attacks the center of your crown & not your sides/edges.

Here is the abstract for anyone interested. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21482861 Looks like diabetes was the highest risk factor.

Vashti

I know what it's like to experience massive hair loss due to stress. Sometimes stress is the one thing many people overlook when they are having health issues.

shunemite

I had this experience with my own edges that I lost several years back to very tight micros. I still braid but I changed the way it's done and how tight it's done.

I'm pretty sure this is the same study that was posted here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=539139. Pretty much everyone in there poo-poo'd it though. Glad to see a more positive thread that recognizes the significance of this study.
Urban I do remember the other article :yep:

Junebug D

I, for one, am glad to hear it's not the chemicals. :look:

:giggle:

I remember making a similar point in another thread and got knives thrown at me for not naming chemicals as the sole source of BW's hair issues. :look:

This study is not entirely surprising, though the health factor never even entered my mind although it does make perfect sense. Weaves & wigs and styling choices do play important roles and warrant just as much, if not more discussion than "relaxed vs. natural" because these two issues transcend those lines: both groups of BW do them and think nothing of it. Our need to have every hair in place is destructive.

ManeStreet

The article does not say straightening chemicals are NOT a factor. It focuses on C.C.C.A. and the factors of diabetes and tension. That does mean that rules out other factors of hair loss. It does not rule out that chemicals exacerbate hair loss for people with C.C.C.A nor does it state that straightening chemicals do not cause hair loss for people without C.C.C.A.

For example, if I conducted a study and concluded that space heaters and grease spills on stovetops cause house fires. That does not mean that unattended fires in fireplaces or defective eletrical wiring do not also cause house fires.