Styling with Shorter Hair

septemberbaby

Now that I have shorter hair, how do I style it? The old me would've slapped some Razac haircreme & Jam hair gel :eek: in it and attached a ponytail made out of a weft of straight hair on my head by now.

I don't want to put any heat on my hair so flat ironing it daily is not an option.

Some of you ladies have been here before and some of you ladies are here now, any suggestions? TIA!

candy1214

shakira74 said:
Now that I have shorter hair, how do I style it? The old me would've slapped some Razac haircreme & Jam hair gel :eek: in it and attached a ponytail made out of a weft of straight hair on my head by now.

I don't want to put any heat on my hair so flat ironing it daily is not an option.

Some of you ladies have been here before and some of you ladies are here now, any suggestions? TIA!

Are you relaxed or natural? Is your hair below the ear or above?

I have a few pieces of advise....BACK AWAY FROM THE GEL!! STAY AWAY FROM THE HEAT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!

You should try washing and DCing your hair atleast once a week if not twice. Then after rinsing out the conditioner, apply a good leave-in like NTM or ORS olive oil and then sealing with a serum. Then wrap your hair in a scarf and everything should be flat and smooth the next morning.

You can also try braid outs as a cute style on the go. Its okay to use heat on your hair once a week IF and ONLY IF you flatiron or press your hair after a wash. Only use heat on clean hair. With this method your hair will be straight until your next wash if you wrap it up with a silk scarf at night.

Oh...braids are another alternative to help grow your hair out quickly. Especially the C&G method.

Happy Hair Growing!! :)

septemberbaby

candy1214 said:
Are you relaxed or natural? Is your hair below the ear or above?

I have a few pieces of advise....BACK AWAY FROM THE GEL!! STAY AWAY FROM THE HEAT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!

You should try washing and DCing your hair atleast once a week if not twice. Then after rinsing out the conditioner, apply a good leave-in like NTM or ORS olive oil and then sealing with a serum. Then wrap your hair in a scarf and everything should be flat and smooth the next morning.

You can also try braid outs as a cute style on the go. Its okay to use heat on your hair once a week IF and ONLY IF you flatiron or press your hair after a wash. Only use heat on clean hair. With this method your hair will be straight until your next wash if you wrap it up with a silk scarf at night.

Oh...braids are another alternative to help grow your hair out quickly. Especially the C&G method.

Happy Hair Growing!! :)

I have a relaxer. Thanks for the advice. I do plan to stay away from the gel & heat.

Are you suggesting that I wet wrap my hair and air dry after washing, dcing, moisturizing and sealing? If so, I'm a little concerned because Cathy Howse says not to comb wet hair. I thought of braid outs but I wasn't sure if it would work out or not because my hair is below my ear. I'm washing, etc. tomorrow so I may try the braidout.

Question: What is the C&G method?

Thanks again!

preciousjewel76

shakira74 said:
I have a relaxer. Thanks for the advice. I do plan to stay away from the gel & heat.

Are you suggesting that I wet wrap my hair and air dry after washing, dcing, moisturizing and sealing? If so, I'm a little concerned because Cathy Howse says not to comb wet hair. I thought of braid outs but I wasn't sure if it would work out or not because my hair is below my ear. I'm washing, etc. tomorrow so I may try the braidout.

Thanks again!

C&G method = Crown & Glory technique. It is a braid regimen that Robin, a hair guru, used to grow her hair from neck length to waist length in 2 years.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

InnerSoul

shakira74 said:

Thanks again!

I know Cathy says that in her book also.. but in my experiences.. hair untangles better if under running water(shower) IMO or even if u use a water spray bottle to untangle.. u just have to be careful and not rake through your hair. But my hair snaps more if tangled when dry and the comb glides better if the hair is freshly moisturized or wet (but this is just my experience) I also use a detangling spray! I use tangle defense leave in conditioner spray(by Optimum)
I follow Cathy's research almost totally, but on some things I had to figure out what was best for my hair. So u just have to do what is best for u. Her research was phenomenal but on a couple of things I had to change to accomodate to what my hair likes and responds better to since each person and hair techniques are different:). Also I don't comb my hair everyday.. I finger comb usually especially when stretching relaxers. On my wash days I only comb to detangle and section my hair to prepare for my rollersets... hope that helps;)

septemberbaby

InnerSoul said:
I know Cathy says that in her book also.. but in my experiences.. hair untangles better if under running water(shower) IMO or even if u use a water spray bottle to untangle.. u just have to be careful and not rake through your hair. But my hair snaps more if tangled when dry and the comb glides better if the hair is freshly moisturized or wet (but this is just my experience) I also use a detangling spray! I use tangle defense leave in conditioner spray(by Optimum)
I follow Cathy's research almost totally, but on some things I had to figure out what was best for my hair. So u just have to do what is best for u. Her research was phenomenal but on a couple of things I had to change to accomodate to what my hair likes and responds better to since each person and hair techniques are different:). Also I don't comb my hair everyday.. I finger comb usually especially when stretching relaxers. On my wash days I only comb to detangle and section my hair to prepare for my rollersets... hope that helps;)

I agree with you that I have to do what is best for me. I won't know what's best for me until I try different things.

I will try the suggestions that you've all given me. Thank you all so much!! ;)