Stylists Charging Based on Length...

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Is this normal? I've been following the same stylist for YEARS... she has always charged $60 for touch up and $45 for wash n curl- includes trim (if needed) and conditioner. I wanted to try someone new because I haven't been to a stylist in a while, but I want get my hair done without having to wait like a full workday's worth of time. During this time, my hair has grown from Shoulder length to about BSL within this time and she hasn't charged me a dime more.

Anyway, I made an appt with the stylist of a lady I work with. Her hair is in a short style... super cute though. I talk to the stylist- she seems nice- we talk about relaxers, appt times, and price= $60, etc. Later along in the convo, I tell her that I have about 4 inches of NG and that my hair is about BS length. She said "Oh, that changes everything!" and that she wished I told her that earlier because that's a diff price. She said that she will keep it at $60 because she said it already. :ohwell: Is that normal for stylists to charge per length??

Last edited:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Yes it's common. My mbl friend will spend close too $100 for a touch up and flatiron. Her salon has a specific fee they charge extra for the length.

pinkness27

Some get mad at all the new growth plus length and complain about you using all their relaxer cream lmao. Of course most aren't as rude, but some think it

Just like some braiders charge depending on length, some hair stylists charge based on length.

SimJam

I know stylists tend to do this for natural hair and for blowouts/flatirons as it does take longer to twist/braid/blowout/flatiron longer/thicker hair

but why should they charge more for a touchup?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
pinkness27 said:
Some get mad at all the new growth plus length and complain about you using all their relaxer cream lmao. Of course most aren't as rude, but some think it

Just like some braiders charge depending on length, some hair stylists charge based on length.

I'm bringing my own relaxer because she doesn't use what I use. She issues Illuscence or some name like that and Designer Essentials. I use Optimum or Affirm, so I'm bringing my own.

Evolving78

I know stylists tend to do this for natural hair and for blowouts/flatirons as it does take longer to twist/braid/blowout/flatiron longer/thicker hair

but why should they charge more for a touchup?

it still takes more time in handling more hair. my mother has short hair. the process goes a lot faster for her, than for me. even though the actual process time is usually 20-25 mins. i know i would charge more if a person came in with 3-6 months of new growth and they had hair down their back. i still have to wash, deep conditioner, dry, style. it may take me two hours for one person and 3 hours for the next.

i speak from being an assistant in a salon. just like i charge more for a virgin brazilian wax.

BostonMaria

Yes they usually charge me more money. If a wash and blow dry is $30 then I usually have to pay $40. That's why I do my own herr.

Sent from my iPhone 10 using LHCF

kandegirl

It's common and the more I do hair, the more charges I see I need to add. I did my little cousin's hair the other day and it took me three hours. She wanted twists and I had to change up the hairstyle a little b/c I had no idea she had allllll that hair hiding in on her little head! I told her mom, I see why you don't do her hair yourself.

More time, more product, extra special care (if you're a good stylist), more hair= more money

kupenda

Yup. I refused a touch up one time when I was relaxed and they told me they would charge me $75 because I had two inches of new growth. I kept it moving

lacreolegurl

There is an up charge for long hair (collarbone or longer) at most salons. The additional fee is generally $10-$20 more at the ones I've been to.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
yes. it's fairly common and to me it makes sense.

bringing your own product doesn't matter either. maybe it should, but it doesn't. i used to bring my own relaxer to a salon and just to avoid disrespecting the stylist's time and skill and choice of product i would tell them up front that i did not expect a discount because i was bringing what i knew to be safe for my hair. this would avoid potential insult and irritation from the stylist.

if someone has a long history with you, they probably don't introduce new "long hair" charges out of courtesy to you being a long time customer.

stylists who are good charge more usually. their time and expertise is valuable. as any "i left the stylist crying cus she chopped all my hair off" thread can prove.

having said all that, when i was shoulder length, i would go to a salon and see the posted rates with the notation "longer hair may be charged a surcharge" and i could not wait to get charged for having long hair.....it was a dream for me! LOL

ladylibra_30

It's strange to charge more money for a touch-up on longer hair:

4 inches of NEWGROWTH is 4 inches of n/g on tailbone length hair or chin length hair. All they should retouch is the NEWGROWTH. I could see if a patron requested the perm to be smoothed throughout the length. It's BS to me - Cause it's happened to me LOL :)

I first experienced this at the dominican salons, then the black salons, and now at my white salon. I can't escape it!

SimJam

it still takes more time in handling more hair. my mother has short hair. the process goes a lot faster for her, than for me. even though the actual process time is usually 20-25 mins. i know i would charge more if a person came in with 3-6 months of new growth and they had hair down their back. i still have to wash, deep conditioner, dry, style. it may take me two hours for one person and 3 hours for the next.

i speak from being an assistant in a salon. just like i charge more for a virgin brazilian wax.

Oh ok i c. when I was relaxed my stylist changed for touchup different from wash etc

bklynbornNbred

It's strange to charge more money for a touch-up on longer hair:

4 inches of NEWGROWTH is 4 inches of n/g on tailbone length hair or chin length hair. All they should retouch is the NEWGROWTH. I could see if a patron requested the perm to be smoothed throughout the length. It's BS to me - Cause it's happened to me LOL :)

I first experienced this at the dominican salons, then the black salons, and now at my white salon. I can't escape it!

4 inches of new growth on shoulder length hair is not going to take the same amount of time as 4 inches of BSL or MBL hair. Preparing the hair for the relaxer takes more time, detangling takes more time, shampooing the length of hair takes longer, applying conditioner, rolling/wrapping etc. I'd run from anyone that didn't charge more. You will not tear through my hair to finish in the same 20 minutes it took you to do someone with much shorter hair.

bebezazueta

I'm so blessed to have my stylist! She does not charge me more & spends a lot of time on my hair. She's so proud of it like its her hair. She's the BEST! Oh and she never complains about it. She really loves healthy hair. That's why she is so successful cause she loves what she does & probably will do it for free.

janeemat

Yes it's common. My mbl friend will spend close too $100 for a touch up and flatiron. Her salon has a specific fee they charge extra for the length.

:yep:The $100 price is why I quit my stylist. The longer my hair got, the more he charged. Each time I would get a relaxer it would be more and he did not even discuss it.....just quoted the charge when he was done:nono:

Lynnerie

I think its a new thing some salons are starting to do.

My hair is not long but I was charged extra because of its thickness.

I saw a natural hair salon flyer that charged extra depending on your hair type.:perplexed :ohwell:

Ballerina_Bun

Can the client choose to pay them based upon their talents and experience :look: ETA --- and the results.

Last edited:

Angelinhell

I think its a new thing some salons are starting to do.

My hair is not long but I was charged extra because of its thickness.

I saw a natural hair salon flyer that charged extra depending on your hair type.:perplexed :ohwell:

They always charged my mom more because of how thick my hair was and my tenderheadness:lol:

That charge for hair type is just sad:nono:

TokyoReina

I could see salons charging extra for waist length hair, but everyone can stop pretending anything longer than SL is So So much work. :lol: Now when I'm WL folks can charge me extra all they want, but until then...I think length charges are a bit much.